Nov 24, 2015 11:58 PM

Mar 2015
Gooseman347 said:
Boku no Pico.

真実だよ!
私はサイタマ様が大好きです。私は彼の雌犬です!
Nov 25, 2015 12:44 AM

Jul 2013
The Monogatari Series, especially if they like animes like Naruto or other action series.
Nov 25, 2015 12:46 AM

Feb 2015
Boku no Pico
Nov 25, 2015 12:47 AM

Apr 2015
ExTamplier said:
haruhiism4life

Haruhi Akbar!!
Nov 25, 2015 12:47 AM

Sep 2009
I had a few on my mind, but then...
Gooseman347 said:
Boku no Pico.

Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 25, 2015 12:59 AM

Nov 2015
Why would I associate with newbies
Nov 25, 2015 1:03 AM

Apr 2015
One Punch Man
Nov 25, 2015 1:08 AM

Sep 2015
Liar_A2D said:
merryfistmas said:

But one of those is clearly better than the other... there's a big difference between challenging and unenjoyable. I would not have liked WataMote if it had been the first anime I watched.

Clearly? Perhaps to you. Personally I wouldn't think to compare the two.

Regardless, perceived quality is totally irrelevant in this instance, as people aren't suggesting that a show is 'too good' for a new viewer, but rather too challenging for their pitiful, newbie brains to appriciate so just stick to the simple stuff, champ. It's patronizing.

How on earth is it patronising to say to someone that they simply wouldn't understand references and in-jokes and the like? Especially where humour is concerned, if a lot of Japanese word play is present and they don't even have the slightest knowledge of even basic Japanese, such as not knowing the significance of honorifics, then the humour will be totally lost on them.

It isn't patronising in the slightest.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Nov 25, 2015 1:15 AM

Apr 2014
Nana, recommended it to my sister when she was a newbie and she loved it, also feel like it's something my friends would probably like.
Nov 25, 2015 1:24 AM

Jan 2013
Steins;Gate.
A newbie would think it's boring. Babbys first anime should be something like Naruto.
Nov 25, 2015 1:32 AM

May 2013
Too many to list. Basically, anything slow paced or with weird Japanese shiz/ecchi. Also, anything subbed.
Nov 25, 2015 3:47 AM

Jun 2013
Texhnolyze: They would probably quit watching it after 5 minutes.
Nov 25, 2015 3:49 AM

Sep 2009
CondemneDio said:
Steins;Gate.
A newbie would think it's boring. Babbys first anime should be something like Naruto.

Good idea. I will obtain several babies for an experimental trial in which they begin watching Naruto from a very young age, and record any differences from the control group babies that watch DBZ.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 25, 2015 3:51 AM

Jun 2013
Gintama if the person doesn't know most of the game, anime and other references.
Nov 25, 2015 3:57 AM
Jun 2015
It depends on how new they are to anime, but one show I enjoy, yet can see it being hard for someone new to get into is the Monogatari Series. Chances are they wouldn't be used to watching something not in English, so with Monogatari having pretty fast subtitles at times could be challenging, not to mention the long, meaningless dialogues could definitely put somebody off from the show.
Nov 25, 2015 4:18 AM

Jan 2014
Shokugeki no Souma.

They would facepalm if they saw all the foodgasm and tentacles... It almost turned me off the first time even though I knew how weird anime could be sometimes. And I can never get used to it...
Nov 25, 2015 4:19 AM

Dec 2012
I would not recommend:

-Anything controversial that has a bipolar, like it or hate it viewers like Evangelion
-Anything I didn't like, myself.
-Parodies or satire comedies that make fun of other anime since they probably wouldn't get the jokes Ex: Excel Saga
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 25, 2015 4:22 AM

Jul 2015
Fate/Zero, because it's a ridiculous info dump unless you've seen Fate/Stay Night.
Kill la Kill, because it does not mix humor with semi-serious story well, especially for newcomers.
Nov 25, 2015 5:16 AM

May 2015
Mushishi. I'd recommend it for some newbies depending on their background, but in general it's a little inaccessible. The same goes for Ping Pong.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 25, 2015 5:21 AM

Sep 2015
CondemneDio said:
Steins;Gate.

TomboyEXE said:
Gintama if the person doesn't know most of the game, anime and other references.

Vivie said:
Shokugeki no Souma.

They would facepalm if they saw all the foodgasm and tentacles... It almost turned me off the first time even though I knew how weird anime could be sometimes. And I can never get used to it...
Nov 25, 2015 5:23 AM

Feb 2013
Love Live, people shouldn't enter Idol Hell.

Nov 25, 2015 5:36 AM

May 2015
Clannad. Ew.
badwolf45f said:
Love Live, people shouldn't enter Idol Hell.
Agreed.
Nov 25, 2015 5:38 AM

Feb 2014
Lucky Star (or anything that's otaku pandering). All the references about anime, manga and otaku culture would go right over their head, like it did in my case when I made the mistake of picking it up after watching only a handful of anime.
Nov 25, 2015 5:40 AM

Aug 2013
Gantz
Its pretty self-explanatory.
Nov 25, 2015 5:48 AM

Apr 2013
Gintama
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Nov 25, 2015 5:51 AM
Dec 2013
HxH because they wouldn't appreciate how different and unorthodox a battle shounen it is if they've never watched another longrunning battle shounen before, and the constant narration would be too much for them.
Nov 25, 2015 6:11 AM

Jun 2008
SeibaaHomu said:
Actually, even though people often say that the really western inspired shows are good gateway anime, I beg to differ.

You show them something like Monster or Cowboy Bebop and they'll just end up disappointed when they come to the shocking realisation that Japan makes anime for Japanese people and not them. They'll go searching for more stuff like it and they'll probably find a handful of shows to their interest. But they'll be swimming through a sea of cutesy or otherwise distinctly Japanese shows to get that point.

When they realise that fact, that's when they get angry. When they get angry, they'll want to vent their frustrations. When they want to vent their frustrations, they'll take to their Internet. When they get on the Internet, they find anime forums. I think you know the rest.

I got into anime through cutesy stuff like K-On!, Haruhi and Lucky Star so I was fortunate enough to never go through that phase.

You have a little point there since Japan makes more moe slice of life things than shows like that. You end up searching shit and fall on a lot of moe stuff but there are plenty of shows of more balanced shows and those are better since they throw good hints of anime mentality without being a complety moe silly harem slice of life thing that will make a new watcher say "Damn this anime are weird shit, I do like them or get them".

For example Death Note isn't as western as those shows but at the same time isn't a cute moe anime show, the same goes for Evangelion, Code Geass etc. This shows seem different and even have girls with anime behavior and still aren't moe stuff.
I think such shows are the best for starters. They show you the anime mentality without completely creeping you out and they do not delude you with western style.
Nov 25, 2015 6:35 AM

Jul 2015
You said:
One Punch Man
Nov 25, 2015 6:37 AM

Aug 2013
Any post 2010 ecchi LN adaptation
Nov 25, 2015 6:39 AM
Nov 2015
1. Mushishi
2. Psycho-pass
3. Monster
4. Yosuga no Sora

*These are all amazing especially the first 3 but the concept will be hard to grasp for the newbies
Invisible Senpai
http://senpai-knows.com/
Nov 25, 2015 6:45 AM

Jul 2015
InvisibleSenpai said:
1. Mushishi
2. Psycho-pass
3. Monster
4. Yosuga no Sora

*These are all amazing especially the first 3 but the concept will be hard to grasp for the newbies

Natsume Yuujinchou is even harder to understand ^_^
Nov 25, 2015 6:48 AM

Jul 2015
InvisibleSenpai said:
1. Mushishi
2. Psycho-pass
3. Monster
4. Yosuga no Sora

If the person has a decent amount of experience with sci-fi outside of anime I think Psycho Pass would actually be a very good recommendation. It's not really that much more complex than a lot of sci-fi stuff out there.
Nov 25, 2015 6:52 AM

Jul 2015
gedata said:
merryfistmas said:
Kill la Kill. Relies on understanding tropes in high school and shonen as well as at least a vague familiarity with mecha and Mahou Shoujo. There's a few Japanese jokes as well.

Not really. You can just turn your brain off and enjoy the spectacle.

That would mean missing most of the things the show has to offer but it's doable. Another point for KlK :p
Nov 25, 2015 6:54 AM

Jul 2015
[size=300]What kinda discussion is this??

Just tell honestly that you wanna bring your friend into anime world...and are asking for recommendations on which anime to suggest ^_^
If this is not the case you are really wierd
[/size]
Nov 25, 2015 7:00 AM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:
Shinsekai Yori... unless they were already into dystopian/sci-fi novels, I guess.

I would put that in my top 10 recommendations for new comers.

For me probably Gintama since you need have seen some anime to appreciate it more.
Nov 25, 2015 7:13 AM

Sep 2015
I think the most reasonable answers are parodies and heavily referential anime for obvious reasons. You have to know what the person is into beforehand, like, why not suggest something like Ergo Proxy or GITS for those who love dark sci-fi stuff.
Nov 25, 2015 9:51 AM

Oct 2015
I would start by not generalising newbie=newbie.

some 13yo hetero boy newby is not the same as some triple-Ph.D. in Literature 50 yo gay newbie.

SeibaaHomu said:
Actually, even though people often say that the really western inspired shows are good gateway anime, I beg to differ.

You show them something like Monster or Cowboy Bebop and they'll just end up disappointed when they come to the shocking realisation that Japan makes anime for Japanese people and not them. They'll go searching for more stuff like it and they'll probably find a handful of shows to their interest. But they'll be swimming through a sea of cutesy or otherwise distinctly Japanese shows to get that point.

When they realise that fact, that's when they get angry. When they get angry, they'll want to vent their frustrations. When they want to vent their frustrations, they'll take to their Internet. When they get on the Internet, they find anime forums. I think you know the rest

But if you really want to follow that line of thought, then it'd also work the other way around.

You recommend them some catered-to-Japanese-audience stuff -> in case they do not like it and never want to try anything anime again, then they'd miss out on Cowboy Bebop, even though they might have very much liked it.

Btw. - without recommendations, your scenario is how it happened to me. "Anime" to me meant them after-school-TV shows, of no interest to me. Then a TV station would have Cowboy-Bebop-nights on sunday midnight. Then I asked around for sth. similar, but the answer was always : nope. no exist.

But this did not keep me away from anime. Sure I'd want more like CB, but that's no reason to watch or not watch other anime.

Without CB, I may never have looked into anime at all.

-------------------------------
Cool_DuDE said:
[size=200]complaining in big-arsehole-font we should not discuss what is above their understanding [/size]

wtf ?
BannoBunka_snorkNov 25, 2015 9:59 AM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Nov 25, 2015 10:14 AM

Feb 2014
A lot of stuff tbh

-Anything that relies on Japanese references that they most likely won't get
-Anything with too much talking if they will be watching subs or a horrendously bad dub if they will be watching dubs
-Anything with too much ecchi or fanservice unless they're into that kind of stuff beforehand
-Really popular but really awful shows like SAO
-LoGH unless I knew that they liked Star Wars or shows like that beforehand
-Joke recommendations like School Days, Inferno Cop, or Mars of Destruction
-Anything that I know has a much better manga adaptation, no second season (and it needed one), or a bad representation of whatever source material it comes from.

Nov 25, 2015 10:17 AM

May 2013
chinesecartoonz said:
-Really popular but really awful shows like SAO

MAL disagrees.
Nov 25, 2015 10:23 AM

Oct 2012
Pretty much none of my top 5, none of them are particularly accessible to people new to the medium, especially The Tatami Galaxy and both Nisio Isin works for excessive amounts of dialogue with pretty much no chance of ever getting a dub.
Nov 25, 2015 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
OPM, because after they finish it, they will never come across an equally good anime again.
Nov 25, 2015 10:32 AM

Mar 2014
Prison school and anything ecchi.
Nov 25, 2015 10:41 AM

Nov 2014
You guys and gals care to elaborate why you wouldn't recommend some of the better shows that the anime medium has to offer?
Many of you said you wouldn't recommend Monster, Texhnolyze, SSY, LOTGH, Ergo Proxy, NGE, Ghost in the Shell and plethora of other shows, why is this? Do you think those who are entering the anime medium are dumb, unable to understand symbolism and metaphors, or that they're kids perhaps?
Perhaps you shouldn't recommend shows that have Japanese references/folk stories to them, i.e. Mushishi and Mononoke, but to say you wouldn't recommend shows that have no or very little Japanese reference and don't recommend them is, I don't know, stupid or insulting maybe to their intelligence.

I'd say I wouldn't recommend starting with ecchi and harem, because most of them are your counterpart of Western mediocre tv shows.
And Gintama probably due to the sheer amount of references that it use to other anime shows.
Nov 25, 2015 10:42 AM

May 2013
Oian said:
OPM, because after they finish it, they will never come across an equally good anime again.

You're right, they'll never find any Anime as equally good as OPM.....they'll find better Anime.
Nov 25, 2015 10:56 AM

Oct 2014
Utsu musume sayuri
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 25, 2015 12:18 PM

Mar 2015
Madoka Magic
Nov 25, 2015 12:25 PM

Feb 2015
-Elfen Lied: I made that mistake, I was pretty shocked lmao
-Serial Experiments Lain: Very strange lol
-FLCL: Super fast paced
Nov 25, 2015 3:19 PM

May 2015
Monogatari series.
Mushishi.
Gintama, and every series that depict referencing Japan culture and parodying other series.

mayukachan said:
Zazie122 said:

Haruhi's gotten heaps of people into anime though...
Do u rlly want ppl to watch the endless eight?
Why? Haruhi boom on 2006 made people on Japan become otaku. As far as I can say, Haruhi is not that bad, its actually a light fun story and introduce animes archetype, like slice of life, high school theme, that protagonist which his seat near the window, the moe girl, the megane-silent girl, that large eye, and the list go on. But KyoAni fcked the series with the endless 8. You know that adaptation based on LN is increasing since Haruhi aired right?

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

16 by FanofAction »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

36 by LostSpectre »»
4 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

60 by LostSpectre »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

71 by 23feanor »»
8 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

26 by FanofAction »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.