Forum Settings
Forums

Comment on the list of the member above you. (Manga Ver.)

New
Nov 29, 2009 1:43 PM

Jun 2007
I've got the same topic in the anime section, and I've also got a 'Comment on the profile...' thread in the general section. So, just for the sake of completion, I thought I'd create a third (and final) thread in the manga section. It's just more tidy that way, y'know?

There aren't any real guidelines for how you comment. All I ask/demand is that you don't spam. Put effort in or GTFO, in short. Use structure, don't use structure - I don't care. All I want to see is effort.

Comment on the list layout, comment on the ratings, suggest titles, comment on the tags - do whatever. Go with the flow.

...oh, and also, feel free to skip the person above you if you've already commented on that person. Keep looking up until you find someone you haven't commented on. Try to avoid it if you can so as to not piss people off, but it's ok to do 'cause it'll keep the thread alive.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 2, 2009 10:58 AM

Jun 2007
C'mon people - how can the anime equivalent of this thread get 900+ posts and this get none? I know there are far, far... FAR more anime watchers than there are manga readers on MAL, but it's still wrong for this thread to end before it starts.

I'm going through a manga craze at the moment, and I want a god reason to look at peoples' lists... :-/
Dec 2, 2009 1:23 PM

May 2009
I like how the layout is to the right and the tags, and I LOVE the background! You might want to make you list a little transparent so people can see that awesome background better.
Dec 2, 2009 2:58 PM

Aug 2008
Okay.. will see if we can get things rolling.

Dr_Qwerty:

List:
Nice image with a simple style that's pretty good.. not too crazy, readable too. No tags? I love using tags.

Stats:
Looks like you're pretty new to manga.. means you have a lot of good stuff waiting. :3

Scores:
All are high numbers, no low present. So you really like what you're reading? No stinkers yet?

Shared works:
Not much lol. :) Just Fullmetal Alchemist and D.Gray-man. Two shounen manga drawn by women.. kinda interesting? Unknown compatibility.

I noticed one interesting thing on your ptr--Number. It's interesting because it was the only shoujo work I saw from my quick glance.
shinkeikakuDec 2, 2009 3:02 PM
Dec 2, 2009 3:10 PM

Jul 2009
shinkeikaku :

As expected from Manga Moderator..so much manga, that my browser took a while to load it :P

A lot of manga that i don't know, of course it's shoujo, and you have a lot manga you plan to read there, and our compability is unknown, you haven't scored many of your manga so i can't comment on that.

Like the background of your list.
Dec 3, 2009 1:55 AM

Mar 2009
Laevantein

Starting with the layout, it's pretty mediocre.

Currently reading 98. That's quite a handful! There are very few rated 10 on your list. Plenty of 9's. I notice you read many genres, which is a good thing.

Our compatibility is High (76.7%).
Dec 3, 2009 6:17 AM

Jan 2009
AlexisSolitaire

You are wonderfully well versed in reading material, Ive never been one to care for background images; I find them a bit distracting at times, though your is fairly decent.
Dec 3, 2009 9:24 AM

Jun 2007
ralphy0103:

Well, aside from rating Death Note 0 7/10, you've only rated three other titles on my list. Those are Bleach, Naruto and One Piece. You've rated all three 10/10.

None are worthy of top marks.

Even I, a Narutard, feel guilty about rating the manga 9/10 just for the first 27 volumes because pretty much everything after is messy, Naruto not advancing at all before becoming one with his inner toad late in the game.

Bleach is an even more /facepalm worthy 10/10. It peaked early on, with the SS arc, and then went all 'fight-fight-fight', repeating the same shit in slightly different ways, and needing a damsel in distress to be saved again. Enjoyable, yes, but never worthy of being considered one of the best titles out there.

As for One Piece, I can't really comment; I haven't read much. It struck me as just being another shounen, with far less appealing characters and art than the other two members of the holy shounen trinity. Pirates ain't my thing.

Your list design is basic; you've done nothing. Not even worth mentioning, really.

I plan on reading a number of the titles you have listed, Solanin ranking highest because I can buy it in one go. Looking at your list has reminded me of the existence of the Koi Kaze manga, which I'll probably read, one year.
Dec 3, 2009 9:33 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Aionic: I liked the colors you used in your list design but found the text to be a bit hard to see. The face could be smaller and the text box could be enlarged . At least big enough for most titles to be on one line would help a lot. I did like the comments about how you felt on series though but I also found it bit hard to read, it need a bit more breathing room.

We have Medium compatibility but with almost all of the 18 we share we were with 1 point of each other. You seend to have pretty varied tastes, which I appreciate.
Dec 3, 2009 10:01 AM

Jun 2007
Because of the length of the tags, if I make the text bigger it becomes harder to tell where the tags start and end. If my tags were smaller and not very short reviews then I'd make the text bigger, but...

The readability of text will always differ. For me, on my 1440x900 monitor, it's easy to read, but I guess someone with a 22" would find it more difficult.

I'm not good at editing my list; I played around with it ages ago and now just change the background from time to time. If I knew how, I'd like a line break between each entry to avoid confusion.

-----

Brand:

You've seen a lot more than me, and more manga than anime overall.

Our ratings aren't very different for what little we've both rated. There's very little to say, really... I can't see how you could give something as predictable and silly as Doubt 8/10, but that's really it.

Your list, despite the text being big, can be a little hard to read because of the white text on light grey. Black Jack themed - nice.

You've given only one ten on your completed list, and that's to PK. It kind of surprises me to see that be someones only 10, even though I scored the anime 9/10.

You've got a lot listed I'd like to read at some point; too much, really.
Dec 3, 2009 10:30 AM

Apr 2009
Aionic:

We share 29 Mangas and a 65% compability.

You gave GTO a 10 which I can understand, it is a very funny manga. And you rated Shonen Days with a 8, I dropped it because I didn't liked it at all, can't really say why though.
You rated Onani Master Kurosawa quite high, I dropped it after ~10 Chapters, the "story" didn't really appeal to me.

Other than that you've read some nice Mangas like Seizon Life, Uzumaki, Lament of the Lamb, Town of evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms, which I rarely see on someones list.

Your comments are funny to read, especially combined with that slightly grinning Senjougarah Background. And its great that you took the time and wrote a little about each Manga.

The layout looks good, black and blue work nice together.

Your P-T-R is huge! And it contains many Mangas I really enjoyed, so I hope you will enjoy them too.
Dec 3, 2009 1:21 PM

Jun 2007
SixFlags said:
And you rated Shonen Days with a 8, I dropped it because I didn't liked it at all, can't really say why though.

I wouldn't say I dislike it - I don't give 8/10 scores to what I dislike - but it's certainly true that I like it less than its 'prequel'. I can't quite put my finger on one reason why, but my main issue is with the content not appearing new to my GTO-experienced eyes; it feels like I'm only seeing more of the same...

Something else that's bugged me is the lack of interaction with old characters. Characters from the SJG have only appeared once for a few panels, and Urumi looks likely to only get one short scene. I wanted to see more links to the past, what with Onizuka going back to his roots and all.

You rated Onani Master Kurosawa quite high, I dropped it after ~10 Chapters, the "story" didn't really appeal to me.

You have to understand that, for the first few chapters, Onani is just a DN parody involving in masturbation. Then, by around chapter four, it starts to get more serious, though it's still a DN parody, complete with Light-esque planning. It only starts to get truly involving around the time of the school trip, and then it makes a complete switch from comedy to drama.

I read the first 10 chapters over a day or two, and I read the remaining 21 chapters in one sitting. It got so gripping, with a huge twist at around the chapter 17 mark, that I wasn't able to stop reading. I even made a three paragraph Onani/NHK recc after finishing it.

I suggest you give it a second chance. It's loved for a reason, and the reason ain't stupidity.

Other than that you've read some nice Mangas like Seizon Life, Uzumaki, Lament of the Lamb, Town of evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms, which I rarely see on someones list.

Yeah, I try to read realistic/mature manga more often than not, mainly because that's my reason for reading manga - to see what anime studios won't touch. I actually own LotL, Uzumaki and a fair few others, which makes me feel good since they're kind of obscure. :)

---------

SixFlags:

Lesse...

I don't disagree with any of your scores strongly enough to argue.

Doubt, like I mentioned above, is too silly in my mind and easy to predict to get a score higher than 6/10. It was entertaining to a point but no more than that.

I agree that 14 Days is weaker than its amazing prequel, but in my mind it's still pretty damn good, so I don't agree with your 6/10 score. I can understand where you're coming from but think you're being a little harsh.

You rated Kagetora 4/10, meaning you viewed it to be as generic and dull as I do. I was more kind than you but we do seem to agree, if our ratings are anything to go by.

Love Hina 7/10 - Obviously, with it being in my top five, I disagree. But, having seen your Negima score, I think it's just a difference of taste: 9/10 & 7/10 vs. 7/10 & 5/10. There's a two point difference in our ratings, but you just seem to view Akamatsu's work in a lesser light in general.

I don't like your list. The background doesn't fit the screen, leaving a random black section to the right, and the text is unreadable without highighting (and I can't even highlight your scores). It's a pain to look through, despite the train background looking quite nice. I recommend you do some DIY work to make it worth looking at.
Dec 3, 2009 5:08 PM

Jan 2009
Aionic said:
Bleach is an even more /facepalm worthy 10/10. It peaked early on, with the SS arc, and then went all 'fight-fight-fight', repeating the same shit in slightly different ways, and needing a damsel in distress to be saved again. Enjoyable, yes, but never worthy of being considered one of the best titles out there.
In regards to Bleach, at the moment it happens to be my favorite Shounen manga serialization. Kubo tends to become overly criticized for his literary direction in conjunction with his cohesive plot development, or in this instance; lack there of. I'll be the first to admit that Bleach has it's flaws and is in no way perfect, actually if I were hung up on the story aspect with coherent envisionment; I would have dropped the series a long time ago.

I actually enjoy Kubo artwork more than anything else, his artistry has always remained quite elegant with a genuine abstractness, and gentle cohesion in conjunction with a swift abstract nature that becomes all the more apparent in it's seeming obscurity. Of course some might say Kubo Tite lacks backgrounding work, but I like to think he leaves out the overuse of extreme detail in regards to general imagery, in order to further expand on his characters within their respected panels.

People will say what they like and I'm not one prone to excessive rebuttal, one thing that genuinely urks me; is when people say Bleach is the worse serialization and they've lost all taste for the series as a whole, and yet those same people turn around and say, "There's no Bleach chapter this week?! Oh, the agony!". It seems really counter intuitive in that instance.

On a side note:

A shame you haven't read-

Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
Bus Hashiru.
Coelacanth
Koi Kaze
Natsukashi Machi no Rozione
Nanairo Sekai
Solanin
Sute Neko no Ie
Freesia
A Revolutionist In The Afternoon
Yami no Hou E

All are beautifully endowed in sheer elegance, I unusually don't read popular titles besides the top three Shounen; strictly reading material that poses intellectual stimulation in conjunction with growth and maturity. Also I like to keep my list plain with no graphics because I find them horribly distracting, I checked you list and could barely make out what you've read; if you want graphic work, just check my profile.
ralphy0103Dec 3, 2009 5:13 PM
Dec 4, 2009 1:27 AM

Apr 2009
Aionic said:

You have to understand that, for the first few chapters, Onani is just a DN parody involving in masturbation. Then, by around chapter four, it starts to get more serious, though it's still a DN parody, complete with Light-esque planning. It only starts to get truly involving around the time of the school trip, and then it makes a complete switch from comedy to drama.

I read the first 10 chapters over a day or two, and I read the remaining 21 chapters in one sitting. It got so gripping, with a huge twist at around the chapter 17 mark, that I wasn't able to stop reading. I even made a three paragraph Onani/NHK recc after finishing it.

I suggest you give it a second chance. It's loved for a reason, and the reason ain't stupidity.

---------

Love Hina 7/10 - Obviously, with it being in my top five, I disagree. But, having seen your Negima score, I think it's just a difference of taste: 9/10 & 7/10 vs. 7/10 & 5/10. There's a two point difference in our ratings, but you just seem to view Akamatsu's work in a lesser light in general.

Yeah maybe I should give it a try again, at least reading more than 10 chapters.

Regarding Love Hina I have to say, when I first started reading Mangas I've read a whole bunch of these typical shonen/ecchi/romance/comedy-Mangas. I had rated it a 10, but then I've came across so many great (seinen) Mangas like Blame!, Harukana Machi E, Sanctuary etc etc, I couldn't help but to rate it down since these were so much better. And a 7 actually means "Good" to me :)

----------------------------------------
please skip me and comment on ralphys0103's list.
Dec 7, 2009 7:56 PM

Jun 2007
I'm pretty sure most of what you listed (two posts up) is on my list, waiting to be read.
I forgot about Koi Kaze until you mentioned it - I watched the anime ages ago, awarding it 9/10 and even going as far as typing up a review for it. I meant to read the manga back then, but I wasn't really into manga at that stage. I'll have to give it a looksee at one point because, if memory serves me, the manga ending is supposed to differ from the anime one, which intentionally lacked clarity.

Reading seinen... actually, I hate using the type of magazine/whatever a manga was serialized in to define its maturity. Reading titles that can be appreciated by adults shouldn't mean you can't enjoy more kiddy titles. I'd even argue Love Hina has enough characterization to be viewed as more than just another harem/ecchi title. I gravitate towards titles with realism, yet I still love Naruto, and still find boobs... 'uplifting'. Every adult is basically a kid with an older body and experienced mind, after all.

Just so we're clear, I'm not going to let this thread die before 100 posts. If I have to, I'll grade myself. I'm serious. So, to avoid that, why don't you guys start posting? You'll be a better person for doing so.
Dec 9, 2009 10:25 AM

Jan 2009
Aionic said:
I'm pretty sure most of what you listed (two posts up) is on my list, waiting to be read.
That's the thing, their "waiting to be read". Each of those titles listed pose something magnificent and wonderful that can be taken away be any reader and wholeheartedly deem elegant and mature via serious conjecture.

Aionic said:
I forgot about Koi Kaze until you mentioned it - I watched the anime ages ago, awarding it 9/10 and even going as far as typing up a review for it. I meant to read the manga back then, but I wasn't really into manga at that stage. I'll have to give it a looksee at one point because, if memory serves me, the manga ending is supposed to differ from the anime one, which intentionally lacked clarity.
Koi Kaze was indeed wonderful for its portrayal of characters set on forbidden love. What made the series excellent was that the entire story was conveyed maturely with distinct characters you could relate too . In my honest opinion, the manga and the anime adaptation were both perfect; I warranted them both perfect tens.

If you think Koi Kaze is good, then you should also read Natsu no Zenjitsu by the same author. That title is possibly one of the greatest Slice of Life's created to date, beautiful artwork, elegant story, astounding conviction in it's immediate portray of two lovers.

Aionic said:
Reading seinen... actually, I hate using the type of magazine/whatever a manga was serialized in to define its maturity. Reading titles that can be appreciated by adults shouldn't mean you can't enjoy more kiddy titles. I'd even argue Love Hina has enough characterization to be viewed as more than just another harem/ecchi title. I gravitate towards titles with realism, yet I still love Naruto, and still find boobs... 'uplifting'. Every adult is basically a kid with an older body and experienced mind, after all.
The thing is, people who embellish and are avid fans of works within the Harem/Ecchi sub genre never get into or have even heard of excellent titles that would put all of their pretentious romantic tripe, they refer to as "good reading material" to shame! I mean look at a series like love Hina, then look at a title like Natsu no Zenjitsu or Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan and tell me which looks like it'll be one magnificent read. I don't want to sound like an elitist, but people need to at least no where shit stands.
Dec 9, 2009 11:03 AM

Sep 2009
ralphy0103:

Layout isn't bad, it's nice and clean, though the top image looks a little stretched, but it doesn't matter to me! I pretty much love your list, except for certain things (Naruto, for one. I'm just not much of a shounen person).

Manga compatibility with ralphy0103 is:
Very High
83.4%
Dec 9, 2009 11:18 AM

Jun 2007
If you think Koi Kaze is good, then you should also read Natsu no Zenjitsu by the same author. That title is possibly one of the greatest Slice of Life's created to date, beautiful artwork, elegant story, astounding conviction in it's immediate portray of two lovers.

Its description and the image it has on its MAL page make me think it's my cup of tea, so I've added it to my never-ending list of titles. When I'll give it a chance I know not, for I have a limited amount of motivation, but I'll more than likely have a look at most of the titles on my list at some point. That's the whole point of adding them, after all - to remember them in the future; when I feel motivated enough.

I haven't watched Koi Kaze in a long time. It left my feeling very, very depressed. Even though I appreciated it for its qualities (most notably, telling an incest story without childish comedy), it isn't something I'd want to go through too many times in my life. But, given that it's only 35 chapters long, I think I'll give it a read in a bit - I am somewhat bored, after all.

The thing is, people who embellish and are avid fans of works within the Harem/Ecchi sub genre never get into or have even heard of excellent titles that would put all of their pretentious romantic tripe, they refer to as "good reading material" to shame! I mean look at a series like love Hina, then look at a title like Natsu no Zenjitsu or Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan and tell me which looks like it'll be one magnificent read. I don't want to sound like an elitist, but people need to at least no where shit stands.

There are plenty of idiots in existence, and there are more children than their are adults on MAL. It's obvious that childish and perverse titles are going to have far more viewers/readers on a site like MAL.

However, the worth of a title is not determined by its maturity. I can fully understand where you're coming from, having myself read Tanpenshu yesterday - a manga title with around 300 ratings on MAL - and I agree titles aimed at adults should get more attention. But the truth is that mature and depressing usually go together, because a mature story is going to be realistic, and realism means death/no hero to save the day/loves that cannot be. So, it's perfectly logical for someone (even an adult) to prefer to be entertained by something light-hearted - that's what draws people to the likes of Love Hina. Anime/manga is a form of escapism for many - those people don't want to be left down in the dumps; they want entertainment.

With my top five, I have Mars and Love Hina. Both are romance stories at heart, but their overall tones are very different. Yet, in my mind, they're both worthy of 9/10 scores. Am I an idiot for being able to appreciate both titles aimed more at an audience looking for comedy and titles aimed at those looking for drama? No. Only in the eyes of an elitist is it a case of picking one over the other... Not that I'm saying you are an elitist for being frustrated over adult titles getting ignored because of their lack of comedy/boobs.

Edit: Ignore me; my post isn't on topic.
Dec 9, 2009 11:23 AM

Jul 2008
damned I need too long

@ralphy0103
style:
looks good, the pic is nice and subtle, and the font colour fit to the pic

entries:
too much to comment in detail^^
hmm we share not so much, but Akira and Ghost in the Shell, both are great
and some of your entries are on my 'plan to' list (and some other you rec'ed me a short while ago^^)

---

to the Love Hina debate:
I read it seven years ago, and I loved it... ok there are better love stories, but the fun factor is incredible, I think this is the story I laughed at the most and loudest^^

--------
@riotdisco

the pic is a nice idea, fit to a 'list', and it is good tiled
the rest is clear and readable

we share also not so much, some Yuki Kaori stuff... ahh I love her^^
overflying your 'plan to' list... you plan to read some good stuff (I rec more CLAMP ;P)
FiurgeistDec 9, 2009 11:41 AM
Dec 9, 2009 11:27 AM

Jun 2007
riotdisco:

You've completed 202, yet we share nine and I have more days. Most odd.

We're one of 50 who've read both the Goth novel and manga, and we rated both 8/10.

You've also read CC, and that's always nice to see - one of my 9's. It's strange I rated it higher than its target audience...

I can understand you rating LH 7/10, assuming you're a straight female. Really, to not to be turned off by the ecchi humour, you have to be into boobs.

Your ratings aren't very girly. 5/10 for Fruit's Basket and 7/10 for NANA suggest you're no shoujo freak.

I would say your list is pretty ace - the layout is simple yet attractive - but there aren't any scores, and there's no tabs at the top for switching between sections. Those are big negatives.
Dec 9, 2009 11:34 AM

Jun 2007
...WHY DOES EVERYONE POST IN THIS FUCKING THREAD RIGHT NOW!? FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!11!1!!

_Bael

Again, nine is the magic number, despite you having eight days on me. I need to read and grade more mainstream titles, clearly.

Well, from what we've both read, you have an average of 9.3/10. Not good - way too high.

Ai Yori turned me off after the first volume. The story sort of seemed complete then... but, instead of remaining that way, the couple moved into a house and the usual harem female members joined in. I don't know... it kind of bored me. Not 10/10 material.

Chobits I can kind of understand you 10ing - it was my first manga, and I rated it 9/10 back then. However, the ending is weak and left the series with an incomplete feel, and what came before was hardly jaw dropping.

Dragon Ball is ok, but highly repititive and lacks truly likeable characters. Fun, sure, but no more than that.

...Really, the only score I can agree with is your LH 10/10, and even then I feel it has too many flaws to get top marks.

I will say that your list design is nice and easy on the eyes. But, again, I can't help but point out that an average of 9/10 (completed) is too high. You have like 20-30 10's on your completed list, and nothing below 5/10!
Dec 9, 2009 2:08 PM

Jul 2008
style:
blue on black is not the best colour, but still readable
maybe less opacity on the list background

background pic is ok, but too small, maybe a fade to black at the edges to compensate the size

----
Aionic said:

Well, from what we've both read, you have an average of 9.3/10. Not good - way too high.
[...]
But, again, I can't help but point out that an average of 9/10 (completed) is too high. You have like 20-30 10's on your completed list, and nothing below 5/10!

hmmm... nearly all Manga I have read I have bought, so, why should I spend money for stuff, which is, imho, not good?^^

Aionic said:

Ai Yori turned me off after the first volume. The story sort of seemed complete then... but, instead of remaining that way, the couple moved into a house and the usual harem female members joined in. I don't know... it kind of bored me. Not 10/10 material.

yeah, it looks like the typical harem show, but I don't think so, it's, how should I say, hmm more 'adult' I would say. ok, the end has too much drama, but I have it assiduously overlooked while rating^^

Aionic said:

Chobits I can kind of understand you 10ing - it was my first manga, and I rated it 9/10 back then. However, the ending is weak and left the series with an incomplete feel, and what came before was hardly jaw dropping.

yeah, the end is so typical, it could be better, but in some way fit it to the story
--

a 9 for Naruto, eh...

your 'plan to' list have some interesting entries, but with this length is it nothing special ;P ^^
Dec 9, 2009 3:05 PM

Aug 2008
_Bael:

Shared works:
Looking at what we share is like looking at my manga past. CLAMP, 3x3 Eyes, Love Hina, Yuki Kaori, Hikaru no Go, Alichino.. how odd that's the majority of what we share. I've mostly "moved on," but they are all an important part of my manga roots. :3

List:
Nice and readable. I like it when I can read it without squinting against colors.

Scores:
High scores, yes. I'm relieved you gave a lower score to TWEWY at least.. I hated that one. ^_^;;

Favs:
I can understand X. Again, an essential part of my manga past. :) I don't like TRC though.
Dec 9, 2009 4:38 PM

Feb 2008
shinkeikaku:

- Your list is massive. And there is a lot of bl and shoujo titles. You also seem to enjoy quite a few works by Clamp, your favorite being Tokyo Babylon. I've got that one on hold at the moment. Having trouble getting into it. I find it very confusing. But maybe it gets better. Or perhaps it's just not for me xD

- The style is nice :) It's easy to read and the colors don't assault my eyes. I like the background too.

- I'm glad I'm not the only bl reader who thought Totally Captivated was totally bad. Also really refreshing to see another who isn't head over heels for Junjo Romantica. I'll never understand the popularity of those two titles when there are so many better choices in the genre.

- We both gave Beauty Pop a 6. You haven't finished it yet and I'd advise to drop perhaps. It's ending is very unsatisfying. I also found that the characters remained pretty static throughout.

- Overall scores are pretty balanced and consistent. A few I disagree with but nothing really jarring.
Dec 9, 2009 4:48 PM

Jul 2008
LucySky's list rocks.

I can't write anything besides that, since our compatibility is so high, anything negative would be a bad reflection on my own taste. Her list, being relatively large, and covering a number of different genres, is an informative guide for what is worthwhile reading and what is not.

Well, with the exception of YKK. It sucked hardcore, and is easily the most overrated manga/anime ever, yet she gave it a 10. No good.
Dec 9, 2009 5:37 PM

May 2008
@YoungVagabond

Not much to say about the actual look of the list, no background or any CSS scripting :/

Otherwise, you have pretty decent taste and I agree with most of your ratings, well aside from you giving Yokoham Kaidashi Kikkou a 4.
Dec 9, 2009 5:47 PM

Mar 2009
saintcross

Neat, easy to read but the background gets in the way, unfortunately and fairly interesting tags.

Quite many Plan To Read. Our compatibility is medium high.

Your rating for Doubt is a little surprising. I know some people thought the ending was retarded but it's still great anyhow in my opinion. Your rating for Goth too, is a little lower than I expected. I think Goth's one of the best one-shots out there.

KHR an 8. I think it's good, but not awesome. Can't comment much since I'm not up to the latest chapter yet. I agree with your Naruto rating.
Dec 9, 2009 10:51 PM

Jun 2008
nice list....the background is pretty good(not the biggest death note fan but meh)...you have a good amount of variety amoung your manga list....and not questionable scores....overall a good list
Dec 10, 2009 4:19 AM

Jan 2009
76ers-kid

You are incredibly versed in reading material and your list template seems to be well structured and legible.
Dec 11, 2009 7:46 PM

Jun 2007
76ers-kid:

Someone I share more than ten titles with. Happy days.

62.7% || 8.1 (you) vs 7.9 (me)

The percentages on MAL appear to defy logic more often than not. I'm 75% with someone else who's seen around the same number, scoring far more harshly... yet I'm only 60% with you.

Alive: I have no clue how you scored it 9/10. Characterization, plot twists, action, sex... WHERE!? All I got was a plot about the root of all evil infecting someone who ate a monkey - an evil named "Black." I would not EVER let the mangaka of alive name a baby, or even a dog.

GTO: I think you're the first person I've seen when comparing e-penis sizes to have given it a 10/10. You're like a brother to me now. (I'd prefer a sister, but I'll roll with it.)

...I can't see much else to add. Our only huge difference is the four point Alive gap, and the rest are mostly single pointers. Alive aside, you clearly have good taste. Assuming your grammar and/or grandma is better than it appears to be in this thread, we should hook-up and exchange comments.

Moving onto your list itself, it's dull. Beyond adding grey, you've done fuck all with it. Easy to read but not at all pretty.

You aren't 10/10 crazy and have an average of 7.2 for your completed section. Sweet.

I want to read Suzuka. I kind of liked the anime, and it was a bummer how it ended without ending anything. If not for it costing no less than £7 x a lot of volumes to buy, I'd be on it like a pervert who saw scans with nipples on Danbooru.
Dec 11, 2009 8:08 PM

Jan 2008
Anime: 7/10
Nice long list but mostly not my genre and too much on hold. Why don't you watch some of that.

Manga: N/A
I don't read much so...
Dec 11, 2009 8:25 PM

Jun 2007
BRS_CHIYO said:

Manga: N/A
I don't read much so...

Considering the title, I could very easily play the bad guy here.

...I sure get sick of playing the good guy.
Dec 11, 2009 9:59 PM

Aug 2009
has completed more mangas than i have
we share 7 manga
and
he has read 2 chapters of manga yesterday
i feel very lazy for making this post from seeing the first page
EitraDec 11, 2009 10:03 PM
Dec 12, 2009 4:30 AM

Mar 2009
ArtieBoy

Your currently reading list has 20 entries. Still reading Naruto huh, I gave up on it around chapter 200-something.

You seem quite generous in dishing out 10's though not overly done.
Dec 12, 2009 1:40 PM

Nov 2009
AlexisSolitaire

Well, you got a really long list of manga, though not of them seem to be 10's, but i saw you plan to read rurouni kenshin, and i highly recommend it, definitely a classic.
Dec 12, 2009 2:48 PM

Jan 2009
FlameAlchemist12

Your manga list lacks depth, I could recommend you titles that at the very least pose something of intellectual value and merit, though in the end; you more than likely won't take heed to anything I say.

All I can tell you is read "alternative" manga titles, serializations that are outside the genres immediate popularity. Authors like Jiro Matsumoto, Asano Inio, and Naoki Yamamoto have all composed great works of art, begin your search now and indulge some material aimed at the more mature.

Your list lacks design as well
Dec 12, 2009 3:22 PM

Sep 2009
Beautiful design!
Wow, you've got so many reading entries and not a single manga dropped.
There's lots of good seinen manga that I definitely have to read (Akira, Mushishi, GitS)
Also, a reasonable average of 7.8/10.
I give a 10 to Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan too, a true work of art, one of my favourites.
Dec 12, 2009 10:41 PM

Aug 2009
-LU-
A music note replaced my mouse >=(
we only share 2 mangas
You have finished way more manga than i have
you give out alot of 8's XD
You like one shots
and it seems like u like romantic mangas XD

AlexisSolitaire said:
ArtieBoy

Your currently reading list has 20 entries. Still reading Naruto huh, I gave up on it around chapter 200-something.

You seem quite generous in dishing out 10's though not overly done.
Lol yea the 10's just really means enjoyment. i lower them from time to time
Dec 12, 2009 11:17 PM

Oct 2007
Pretty interesting list...a lot of the stuff on yours is stuff I've considered reading, but didn't get around to it, so at least some of our interests are the same. What I see is mostly shonen/seinen manga. Most of your manga is on the more serious end, but looks like you enjoy comedy too.

Some good manga in plan to read. Just finished Pluto yesterday, was pretty good. Can't comment on all, but Zetman, Monster, Hellsing and GTO should be awesome.

Is ookami no monshou really that good? I read the first chapter or so and, aside from the bloodshed, felt like I was reading shoujo/josei or watching something like Twilight because of the focus on how mysterious and powerful this guy was from the woman's perspective. Could be just the drawing style...don't really remember.
Dec 13, 2009 1:26 AM

Aug 2009
Your reading 26 manga. a good amount i of them i never heard of but sounds interesting
We got similar taste in seinen manga. but your list is pretty unique to me since i dont know half of the manga on your list. You also Don't give out alot of 10's
& same with me, a lot of the stuff on yours is stuff I've considered reading, but didn't get around to it, (Oddly enough)

"Some good manga in plan to read. Just finished Pluto yesterday, was pretty good. Can't comment on all, but Zetman, Monster, Hellsing and GTO should be awesome."
Thanks for the heads up ill go into them with high expectations =)

Just keep reading wolf guy till like chapter 7 and if your not digging it you can put it down. but i really just read the manga to see what the main character will do next. i still really cant say were the manga is going in terms of the story. but its pretty interesting
EitraDec 13, 2009 1:49 AM
Dec 13, 2009 2:31 AM

Nov 2007
ArtieBoy: Not much manga on your list. It seems to be mostly entry-level shonen and seinen. It's good to read the basics before moving on to more obscure series I guess.

You seem to have enjoyed Skyhigh so why not check out Tsutomu Takahashi's other manga as well? Jiraishin in particular may be to your liking.
Freesia, Akira Lone Wolf and Cub, Sangokushi, Eden: It's an Endless World and Parasyte fit your tastes as well.

While not necessarily action-oriented the following are very suspenseful titles you may like: Ikigami, Sanctuary, MW, Ode to Kirihito and Buddha.

Try to look at the recommendations for series that you like so you can learn about new titles that you may not normally come across otherwise.

For me, please don't comment on the style or look of my list as I couldn't care less about that. I use the feature for organizational purposes rather than to be fashionable.
DanishDec 13, 2009 2:42 AM
Dec 13, 2009 2:38 AM

Mar 2009
Corrupt_Id

Just based on your Currently Reading list, I can see we don't read the same titles that much. You've got a hell of a Plan To Read list.

You seem to have really liked Blame Academy. I thought they were good, but not awesome. 6 for Death Note. I personally thought it was a masterpiece though it was quite wordy at times, but the details were well-explained. Our ratings for shared manga are quite different.
Dec 13, 2009 5:43 AM

Jun 2007
Note: Do me a favour - if you reply directly to my post, either comment/message me or rule your post out of the game. It's fairly annoying; to get over-looked because someone defends themselves, that person not even bothering to counter-list comment. I'm not looking to argue, anyway - I'm simply expressing my honest views.

Corrupt_Id:

When I saw your username, I remembered you from a thread I made - we agreed. I also remembered you're fond of Gankutsuou.

...Then, I saw our percentage - 35.6%. We're only 2-3% higher than with someone who, quite possibly, has the worst taste on MAL.

You rated NHK 8/10, Alive 8/10 (covered already), Dragon Ball 8/10, Gankutsuou 7/10, Ranma 7/10 and other similar titles fairly high. However, you also rated Onani 1/10 and Bleach 1/10.

Want to know the problem with this? Quite simply, you've screwed up your own scoring system by throwing logic out of the window, opting instead to do the childish thing and attempt to adjust the averages by, rather than being fair, instead giving the lowest scores possible to undeseriving titles.

Let's look at NHK. You gave it 8/10 - the same score as me. I'd usually say fair enough, but not when you scored Onani 1/10. How can you score two similar psychological dramas so differently? The NHK manga is even the worst version of the NHK story because of its amount of filler and poor finale. It makes zero sense. Without looking at your list, I can only assume you rated it 1/10 after a few chapters; before it transformed from DN parody/comedy to one of the hardest-hitting stories you'll encounter. And if you didn't, instead scoring it low after reading a lot, then there's truly no hope.

There are 1/10 titles out there. For example, Gankutsuou could get a 1/10 for being a terrible adaptation of one of the best anime ever created, complete with storyboard level art. Of course, with you making every attempt to defy logic (and annoy me!), you rated it 7/10, and I can assume that's because of Gankutsuou fanboyism when comparing it against your other scores.

As for Bleach, I'm not its biggist fan, nor am I a hater. I'm somewhere in-between; someone who thinks it's got old but still reads it for fun every now and then. But, lover, hater or whatever I am, I can't agree with you 1/10ing it when you scored DB 8/10 and Naruto 6/10. Seriously, how's that work out? Bleach isn't by any stretch of the imagination a classic - it's a typical shounen - but it has one of the best shounen arcs (SS), very nice art, cool characters and decent humour. Sure, I'm sure it gets worse the further you get, but it isn't impossible to award it an objective 1/10.

Another rating of yours that irked me is your 5/10 of Goth. If you've read the novel, I can understand as it cuts/changes things that'd upset a purist... but, assuming you haven't, then I can't see how it's a fair score. In terms of single volume manga, you won't see much better - its dark/disturbing vibe being rare - and the character artwork is impressive throughout.

...I think you get the picture without me drawing any more. While most of our ratings aren't that different, the few that our ruin your ratings in my eyes because, put alongside your other ratings, they simply aren't fair. There's no anti-shounen or anti-p. drama pattern; you just throw around low scores for the fun of it.

As for your actual list, it's fairly basic, with what looks like (can't see clearly) abstract art as your background.
You've read a lot that I plan on, one day, reading. Of your completed 9-10/10's, Nijigahara Holograph and Solanin (in post!) are titles I'll read soon(ish) because of their length, and longer titles like Blame! and 20th Century Boys will probably get a look-in... one day.

-------------

AlexisSolitaire:

We're at 44%, and that's down to you seeming to have a point to prove; low-scoring Bleach and Naruto. I guess awarding those two low scores is a way of expressing maturity on MAL...

On the plus side, out of our 13 shared titles, we have 4/13 matches. I can't agree with your 9/10's for Doubt and Negative Chainsaw, but I'm feeling too lazy to add any more than that at the moment.

Your background isn't nice on the eyes, at all. Bright red and yellow, on a dark, repeating DN background. Do not want.
I see you've read a lot of one-shots. I prefer short series rather than single chapters; there's more time to 'feel out' the story/characters.
AironicallyHumanDec 13, 2009 5:48 AM
Dec 13, 2009 9:26 AM

Jan 2007
I don't have any complains about the list style,i like the blue text on the black background,easy to read,also i like reading the Tags you wrote,even if i myself would hate writing them for my list.

Our compatibility is relatively low,only 55% but it does not seem like we share that many manga titles,21, you seem to be a romance/slice of life fan while i am not,i can't say i enjoy manga from the romance genre that much but i have yet to really give it a chance, still i definitely plan on reading some manga that can be found on your list,for example: Gunsalinger Girl, Monster, Believers, Bradherley's Coach, Harukana Machi-E...

As for recommendations,try some of Taiyo Matsumoto's manga ,not sure it will suit your tastes,but still.
Dec 13, 2009 7:33 PM

Nov 2007
Aionic said:
Corrupt_Id:

When I saw your username, I remembered you from a thread I made - we agreed. I also remembered you're fond of Gankutsuou.

...Then, I saw our percentage - 35.6%. We're only 2-3% higher than with someone who, quite possibly, has the worst taste on MAL.

You rated NHK 8/10, Alive 8/10 (covered already), Dragon Ball 8/10, Gankutsuou 7/10, Ranma 7/10 and other similar titles fairly high. However, you also rated Onani 1/10 and Bleach 1/10.

Want to know the problem with this? Quite simply, you've screwed up your own scoring system by throwing logic out of the window, opting instead to do the childish thing and attempt to adjust the averages by, rather than being fair, instead giving the lowest scores possible to undeseriving titles.

Let's look at NHK. You gave it 8/10 - the same score as me. I'd usually say fair enough, but not when you scored Onani 1/10. How can you score two similar psychological dramas so differently? The NHK manga is even the worst version of the NHK story because of its amount of filler and poor finale. It makes zero sense. Without looking at your list, I can only assume you rated it 1/10 after a few chapters; before it transformed from DN parody/comedy to one of the hardest-hitting stories you'll encounter. And if you didn't, instead scoring it low after reading a lot, then there's truly no hope.

There are 1/10 titles out there. For example, Gankutsuou could get a 1/10 for being a terrible adaptation of one of the best anime ever created, complete with storyboard level art. Of course, with you making every attempt to defy logic (and annoy me!), you rated it 7/10, and I can assume that's because of Gankutsuou fanboyism when comparing it against your other scores.

As for Bleach, I'm not its biggist fan, nor am I a hater. I'm somewhere in-between; someone who thinks it's got old but still reads it for fun every now and then. But, lover, hater or whatever I am, I can't agree with you 1/10ing it when you scored DB 8/10 and Naruto 6/10. Seriously, how's that work out? Bleach isn't by any stretch of the imagination a classic - it's a typical shounen - but it has one of the best shounen arcs (SS), very nice art, cool characters and decent humour. Sure, I'm sure it gets worse the further you get, but it isn't impossible to award it an objective 1/10.

Another rating of yours that irked me is your 5/10 of Goth. If you've read the novel, I can understand as it cuts/changes things that'd upset a purist... but, assuming you haven't, then I can't see how it's a fair score. In terms of single volume manga, you won't see much better - its dark/disturbing vibe being rare - and the character artwork is impressive throughout.

...I think you get the picture without me drawing any more. While most of our ratings aren't that different, the few that our ruin your ratings in my eyes because, put alongside your other ratings, they simply aren't fair. There's no anti-shounen or anti-p. drama pattern; you just throw around low scores for the fun of it.

In regards to Onani and Bleach I gave them their respective scores because they are exactly what a score of 1 affirms: unreadable. In that case I should have every manga I dropped as a 1 right? Well yes and no. For example, I rated Vagabond a 7 yet I dropped it because there was no end in sight, the horrendous pacing and the fact that it didn't interest me very much. That's one main reason I drop things, not necessarily because they're bad but because they don't interest me.
But yes, I agree that my scoring methods are far from consistent; I'm also constantly going back and changing scores to things I've read in the past.

When I first read the NHK manga I would have given it a 9 but then I read the superior (in my eyes) novel and thereby lowered the score by one. Perhaps the way I related so closely to the main character of Satou influenced my opinion of it.

As for the Gankutsuou manga, on it's own it certainly is less than average. However it's a great supplementary work to the anime in my eyes. It adds an interesting change of perspective from the series. So the idea that's it is simply a supplement to the anime influenced my score greatly.

Next poster, please respond to Zero and not me.
DanishDec 13, 2009 7:36 PM
Dec 13, 2009 8:20 PM

Jul 2008
Aionic said:

Hehe. I think this pathetic, insecure tool means me.

I love how in his last post, he whines and bitches about Corrupt_Id's ratings (which are perfectly reasonable and consistent, by the way), which is the exact opposite of the whole focus and point of this topic.

A focus that Aonic wrote.

Focus

I think Zero has excellent taste, very close/similar to mine. Lots of thoughtful seinen, manga filled with swashbuckling adventure, and generally unique stories and art styles.

I've definitely picked up some good, worthwhile recommendations just from looking at his list before.

His theme is nice, calm, and doesn't give me a seizure with its bright colors. Good stuff.
YoungVagabondDec 13, 2009 8:23 PM
Dec 13, 2009 8:33 PM

Mar 2009
YoungVagabond
-nice putting Battle Royale as a favorite, I rented it from the library during the summer and it got added to the xmas list. I just need to obtain 3 more of the big volumes to have it all since I very much so think this one is worth owning (and i should have more than enough money to do so), although I personally wasn't terribly thrilled with the ending

-also has Detroit Metal City among favorites, I've read the first two volumes of it myself (plan to get the third for xmas as well), I enjoy it, but don't see it making it to my top 10 any time soon

-is also reading Liar Game, good choice

-you read a lot of different genres in general, but you seem to favor seinen heavily when it comes to ratings

-in the same way, you overall tend to favor action and/or violence over comedy and/or romance (for that reason, I'd perhaps consider reading Parasyte and/or Shin Angyo Onshi)

-you've never read Vagabond? given your name I'd have assumed...
Dec 13, 2009 8:45 PM

Jul 2008
classicalzawa said:

-in the same way, you overall tend to favor action and/or violence over comedy and/or romance (for that reason, I'd perhaps consider reading Parasyte and/or Shin Angyo Onshi)

A lot of people think this from only looking at my list, but it's not true. I absolutely loved Detroit Metal City, Mars, and Ohikkoshi. Akuma Love Song is also very good. I'm always on the lookout for great comedies and romantic stories.

Problem is, with the exception of the ones above, I haven't found many. What can I say? The Japanese are just a lot better when it comes to writing action/violence/psychological stories.

-you've never read Vagabond? given your name I'd have assumed...

Young Vagabond is a reference to Gegard Mousasi (pronounced similar to Musashi, hence the nickname), the man adorning my avatar and profile picture.

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to reading the manga.

Next poster respond to classicalzawa, not me.
Dec 14, 2009 3:37 AM

May 2009
classicalzawa-
A Reboot background, that brings back memories. I like the alternating colors for the information. Everything is easy to read. You really think that Castle in the Sky is the only watchable Miyazaki movie? I find that strange. We have a very high compatibility, too: 83.5%!
Dec 14, 2009 10:19 AM

Jul 2008
the background pic looks good, but too small
the list colour fits (nearly) to the pic, and it's readable

at first glance we share nothing...
but one title you read (Yotsuba&!) are on my plan to list (and another two title (Gunslinger Girl & Azumanga Daioh) are on my unofficial plan to list as candidates^^)

furthermore two titles on your plan to list I've read or currently read (Love Hina & xxxHOLiC both are worth reading)
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Would you eat/drink that? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

56709 - Mar 27

324 by mokkocchi »»
23 seconds ago

» Rate the avatar of the user above you v.4 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - May 1, 2021

959 by Luchipher-Zen »»
34 seconds ago

» First Thing That Comes To Mind v21 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Mar 27

7833 by Animeistaken »»
2 minutes ago

» lowercase chat thread v.21 ghouls and goblins edition ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Oct 13, 2023

5776 by OniMage »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it a red flag? ( 1 2 3 4 )

iHateAnimeBro - Apr 24

197 by Animeistaken »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.