Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 19, 2014 5:48 PM
Jul 2018
Penlane said:
facade63 said:
What are the chances you would ever actually meet up with them? slim to impossible id say. for that reason alone i would never do it.

One of the perks of living in Europe. ;) many different countries and languages and I can reach every single one of them in 1 day by car.

Lucky European...
Sep 19, 2014 5:52 PM

Aug 2014
People will always be people, even if you met them online or they live far away.

You just have to make sure to physically move somewhere closer to them once it gets serious. Don't force them to keep interacting with you over the internet for too long. They'll get bored and will probably seek intimacy with someone closer to home.

And I mean, how hard is that anyway. It's the 21st century and you live in a first world country. If you like them that much just get on a damn plane.
Sep 19, 2014 6:23 PM
Jul 2018
facade63 said:
What are the chances you would ever actually meet up with them? slim to impossible id say. for that reason alone i would never do it.

Ive been confessed to online and at that point i just stop talking to any females that wanted me internet cawk.

I just confessed to you on your profile I await for your reply
Sep 19, 2014 6:28 PM

Jan 2014
Meokii said:
My waifu is from Scotland, my baes are from UK and Canada. They don't know ok so pls don't tell them or it'll be a real big drama.

Sep 19, 2014 6:35 PM

Nov 2011
I'll admit I did it out of curiosity, it was just for fun anyway, no feelings involved(at least not from my side), just chatting and some calls by Skype, but I confess one of them ended up getting "serious".

I won't talk about the "serious" one though... it was a huge drama.
I luv u
Sep 19, 2014 6:37 PM
Jul 2018
Sabylas said:
Meokii said:
My waifu is from Scotland, my baes are from UK and Canada. They don't know ok so pls don't tell them or it'll be a real big drama.

Ok waifu is from Scotland, my baes are from London and -pls PM me where u at Canada-
Sep 19, 2014 6:58 PM

Sep 2013
Don't go aboard this ship.
Sep 20, 2014 12:37 AM

Apr 2014
winmac32 said:
People will always be people, even if you met them online or they live far away.

You just have to make sure to physically move somewhere closer to them once it gets serious. Don't force them to keep interacting with you over the internet for too long. They'll get bored and will probably seek intimacy with someone closer to home.

And I mean, how hard is that anyway. It's the 21st century and you live in a first world country. If you like them that much just get on a damn plane.

Just visiting the person isn't a problem. The problem is taking the relationship to higher places after that. So you meet the person, then what? How often do you meet? What do you do when you want to live together? Do you abandon your current life? How will you support each other? Where will you get a job? Do you stop your education? And more. Because if you're just going into the online based relationship, with no intention of considering any of these things, then you shouldn't be getting into one.

The security of meeting someone who lives near you is all these questions are a non-issue. You don't have to stop or change your life priorities in such a major way because you live in proximity enough.

The heartache from being crushed by the sudden realization of these things is a lot. Especially if you think the world of that person.

If you do, make sure you're ready for a roller coaster. Online relationships are brutal for both of you. Don't be surprised if you want to stop, or the other person wants to stop. Humans aren't made to be satisfied with a person on a webcam forever. There's only so much you can do with someone online.

Good luck.
Sep 20, 2014 8:14 AM

Jun 2008
^ Speaking from experience?
Sep 20, 2014 8:45 AM

Jul 2014
The only way I see a long distance relationship working is if you have a open relationship.

But IDK I've never been in one.
Sep 20, 2014 8:50 AM

Apr 2014
Tachii said:

Yeah.

What people don't realize is that an online relationship doesn't stop when you meet the person, much like how a relationship with a person near you doesn't stop at the first date. If you want it to continue, you need to put different priorities forward. And those priorities completely contradict normal relationships. Someone has to give up a lot. Friends, family, comfort.
Sep 20, 2014 9:26 AM

Apr 2013
My girlfriend told me she couldn't go very long without seeing me without becoming depressed and probably wouldn't be able to focus on school, so we ended up going to the same college. We are both happy and we do things like study together or go out to meet people, and I still get my personal space and time. I have to hear about how basically every guy on campus wants to bang her, but I guess that means I ain't doin that bad.
Sep 20, 2014 8:12 PM

Nov 2011
Cause- said:
Tachii said:

Yeah.

What people don't realize is that an online relationship doesn't stop when you meet the person, much like how a relationship with a person near you doesn't stop at the first date. If you want it to continue, you need to put different priorities forward. And those priorities completely contradict normal relationships. Someone has to give up a lot. Friends, family, comfort.

So true, and there is something else to it, even though the cultural differences might seem irrelevant at first, eventually those differences will grow bigger and things will end up being harder...

Basically, unless you both really love each other at the same level AND one of you is rich, the chances of make it works out are really low or zero...
I luv u
Sep 20, 2014 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
Cosine said:
My girlfriend told me she couldn't go very long without seeing me without becoming depressed and probably wouldn't be able to focus on school, so we ended up going to the same college. We are both happy and we do things like study together or go out to meet people, and I still get my personal space and time. I have to hear about how basically every guy on campus wants to bang her, but I guess that means I ain't doin that bad.

Sounds like a happy relationship to me!
Sep 20, 2014 11:23 PM

Feb 2014
Well I think it wouldn't work because it's very easy to hide stuff from the other person and those hoes might not be loyal

Sep 20, 2014 11:27 PM

Mar 2013
I've had long distance relationship with someone and I met him while on WoW. It lasted for 2 weeks but it was enough time for him to give me most of his gold and items. Apparently it's wrong to make a female character. Oh well, whatever.
Sep 21, 2014 1:21 AM

Feb 2014
I don't really think its possible.

I have waifus al lover the planet though.
Sep 21, 2014 6:25 AM

Jun 2012
Yo supercolin, this is a deal of a lifetime.

The world opens up when you know people from around the world. Take it from me, I live in Tokyo, one of the business capitals of the world. reps from HK, SK, SG come and go but you can make connections

if someone says that they wanna be your girlfriend, why not say yes. its better than bathing your sister every night. you could bathe that sexy japanese body. Those tight corners. Those broad hips. That voluptuous figure.
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Sep 21, 2014 6:42 AM

Jan 2011
Doesn't work.
Sep 22, 2014 9:44 AM

Jan 2014
Doesn't work. Unless one person is willing to visit the other then it would be like any other normal friendship having the title of boyfriend/girlfriend.
Recommend me an anime
Sep 22, 2014 10:12 AM

Apr 2014
renzbiohazard said:
Doesn't work. Unless one person is willing to visit the other then it would be like any other normal friendship having the title of boyfriend/girlfriend.

Visits don't address the ultimate problem. You can visit a person all you want, but that doesn't mean you're in a real relationship. The problem is when you want to take that relationship seriously, and start going steady. But to do that one person has to basically give up their life to move. That's why they don't usually work. Not because the distance, but the sacrifice involved.

Sep 22, 2014 1:52 PM

Jun 2008
There's a difference between boyfriend/girlfriend and marriage. Both are "real relationships" though. So I'm not really sure why that need to be nitpicked on.
Sep 22, 2014 10:43 PM

Apr 2014
Tachii said:
There's a difference between boyfriend/girlfriend and marriage. Both are "real relationships" though. So I'm not really sure why that need to be nitpicked on.

There's two goals of a relationship. Either you stay together, or your break up. If you have no intention of continuing on the path of "together", then why the hell are you in a relationship in the first place?

It's not nitpicking about the relationship status, just the ideology of growing the relationship. How long is a strictly online relationship warranted? At some point, one of you is going to make a sacrifice. A huge sacrifice. The abroad relationship goers mentality don't look at these things. They just are too high on cloud nine to think logically about it. If they are prepared for the difficulties, who am I to tell them it won't work? But these things are real. And you have to consider them. They can work, just not in the way people assume.
Sep 22, 2014 10:48 PM
Jul 2018
Interesting how many people think it's impossible... I mean, you guys realize it HAS happened before, and worked out, right?
Sep 22, 2014 10:51 PM
Dec 2010
Mashiro-Yuki said:
Interesting how many people think it's impossible... I mean, you guys realize it HAS happened before, and worked out, right?

Certainly not impossible, but significantly harder.
Sep 22, 2014 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
I really don't believe that it's harder. It has it's share of trials, sure, but distance doesn't mean a whole lot. And sacrifice was never a problem that I ran into either.

But since I'm not really willing to divulge any personal information on this subject, I don't really have any business arguing about it. My apologies.
Sep 22, 2014 11:07 PM

Jun 2012
It definitely isn't easy by any means. There's a lot of fucking restrictions you'll have to deal with. Take it a step at a time and it'll turn out just fine. If you really want it to work, it'll work, otherwise you'll deal with a lot of other shit and excuses.

I'm praying for all you love birds going through that shit. And hopefully it works out for you.
Sep 23, 2014 2:18 AM

Oct 2012
Well I'm not even sure if it counts, but yes I have edated someone kinda.

If, by edate, it means saying lewd stuff to each other, and doing stuff like screensharing hentai and posting pics. By that definition it's really just light teasing, nothing really serious.

Besides, now that I've moved to the same country as her and I'm only a few hours away, I wouldn't even call it long distance edating anymore. Hell, I wouldn't even consider it a serious edate. I'd meet her irl, but most likely not for any serious relationship or anything like that.

I've fapped to her before tho >_<

I've never experienced actual long distance relationships myself, but I have seen it happen to two friends of mine, a male and female. They were actually dating irl, but had to move apart from each other due to work and family obligations, and the distance was really painful for the both of them. Eventually, they both broke up.

So yeah, if you're going to be separated, it's best to break that relationship apart before the hole in your heart becomes wider.
Sep 23, 2014 8:54 AM

May 2014
html said:
I've had long distance relationship with someone and I met him while on WoW. It lasted for 2 weeks but it was enough time for him to give me most of his gold and items. Apparently it's wrong to make a female character. Oh well, whatever.

Hahaha
This happened to my friend once, lel.
Sep 23, 2014 10:15 AM

Jun 2008
Stalker-tan said:
Mashiro-Yuki said:

Certainly not impossible, but significantly harder.
Compared to what? And when words like "significant" is involved, are there data to back that up with? Or else it's really just inferences people are making. Considering how much relationships fail in general, regardless if it was online or offline, it really comes down which is worse right? I'm sure I'd agree it's rarer to end up together online, due to distance reasons, but that's just my inference. I don't really know if it is true.
Cause- said:
Tachii said:

There's two goals of a relationship. Either you stay together, or your break up. If you have no intention of continuing on the path of "together", then why the hell are you in a relationship in the first place?

It's not nitpicking about the relationship status, just the ideology of growing the relationship. How long is a strictly online relationship warranted? At some point, one of you is going to make a sacrifice. A huge sacrifice. The abroad relationship goers mentality don't look at these things. They just are too high on cloud nine to think logically about it. If they are prepared for the difficulties, who am I to tell them it won't work? But these things are real. And you have to consider them. They can work, just not in the way people assume.
Not everyone looks ahead when they're in a relationship. So uh, actually a lot of people are in a relationship just to be in the moment, or maybe to the near future within a few months. They don't think if they want to be with them 10, 20, 40, 60 years down the road. Does that mean it isn't a relationship? Of course not. It just means they're not looking forward longterm as ideally as you might look forward on. It just means they're not ready to call them a fiance. I just find it odd you'd not call something a relationship just because they aren't looking longterm down the road. And I'm mostly talking about broadly of relationships in general.
TachiiSep 23, 2014 10:21 AM
Sep 23, 2014 10:32 AM
Dec 2010
Tachii said:
Compared to what? And when words like "significant" is involved, are there data to back that up with? Or else it's really just inferences people are making.

Compared to a relationship where you have a lot more physical contact, and no I don't have data to back up my significant difference. Just my own experience, which falls under the inference category since I don't have the proper amount of cases to test the statistical signifance (n >= 30). Let's go around the world and randomly select 300,000 people from the whole population of "people in a long distance relationship" and compare them to a control group of 300,000 close distance relationships and measure their success at some scale, shall we? Oh and of course the p-value has to be below .001 for it to be significant.
Sep 23, 2014 10:48 AM

Jun 2008
There certainly is a lot of areas of research that can be focused on. We have couples that were formed initially online and became close distance, to couples that were initially formed in close proximity that became long distance, to solely relationships that remained close distance, and those that solely remained long distance for X period amount of time. p-value of 0.05 is usually used when its studies on people, since 0.001 can easily be practically irrelevant, due to the inherent rate of error involved.

But even when it's your own experiences, haven't you seen and observed close contact relationships fail a lot? Because people realized they didn't have any long-term goals in mind? Or that people immediately realized personality incompatibilities? Or that they realize they were only in it for the sex? Etc? With how likely a close distance can fail, is it still reasonable to say long-distance is "much harder"? There seem to be pros and cons of both.
Sep 23, 2014 10:49 AM

Apr 2014
If relationships with physical contact fail often, how do you think relationships with no physical contact manage?

It's just common logic. They aren't impossible. They just take more to make them work.
Sep 23, 2014 10:51 AM

Jun 2008
I don't think it's "logical". Though I can see how it might be common sense. But there's cons and pros with both. The obvious cons to loads of physical contact is people confuse love with lust. Or your lust confuses people from seeing obvious incompatibilities with another. You usually get that less with a long distance thing. Sure, you can still cyber and all, but the emotional aspect is still likely more invested than the other. Of course, that's just my personal inference.

Oh and yeah, I agree if you're like 10 hours away long distance, that's just not going to happen unless one person is rich. But if it's like a 2hour ride by car?... hmm.
Sep 23, 2014 10:54 AM

Apr 2014
There is no pros to abroad dating that in person dating does not have. It's exactly the same, minus the physical distance.

And that's why it's harder. The mental aspect and emotional aspects are considerably greater with distance. The loneliness is tougher. And the struggle to make it work is harder.
Sep 23, 2014 10:56 AM

Jun 2008
You might want to put a bit more thought to it. But since you brush it off as having no pros this quickly, I doubt I'll get anything across.
Sep 23, 2014 11:00 AM
Dec 2010
Tachii said:

But even when it's your own experiences, haven't you seen and observed close contact relationships fail a lot? Because people realized they didn't have any long-term goals in mind? Or that people immediately realized personality incompatibilities? Or that they realize they were only in it for the sex? Etc? With how likely a close distance can fail, is it still reasonable to say long-distance is "much harder"? There seem to be pros and cons of both.

It's hard to draw a conclusion in all of this, since it's all so specific for each case. I'm most likely biased to thinking that 'physical' relationships would be easier to 'keep intact', so to speak. Even if they fail, the general view I see is that relationships with physical contact at least last longer. Some are incredibly short obviously, since we all make mistakes and realize them later on, and the same thing might very well happen online. Whether it's easier to commit in a physical relationship or in an online one is another aspect worth considering. Then again, one can only speculate so much.
Sep 23, 2014 11:03 AM

Apr 2014
Enlighten me then. You can't even use the "we have so much in common" argument because I can do the same thing irl by walking into a club or something that interests me and meet people who have my same interests.

Like if I like anime, I can go to an anime convention... and meet people... who like anime... and live near me. Maybe find a nice girl. We date. Oh man sounds good. But let's say I meet a girl online. She likes anime, we're countries apart. We decide to date online. What pro is there? There's no more pros then the in person one. There is just one more con. Distances. And that's just at that stage. Later on let's say after you meet a lot in person, you want to live together. Who abandons their lifestyle? Who leaves their comfort? Jobs? Careers? Academics?

Again, I'm not saying it doesn't work. I've personally made it work before. But the reality is it's much harder to maintain an online relationship.
Sep 23, 2014 2:02 PM

Jun 2008
Have you tried doing that? Finding a girl in a convention? Found out that you were compatible? Actually went on a date? Or went to a bar, and right away, found someone with similar interests? It's not as easy as it sounds. Going to a random club bar is easily the worst option to find someone with common interest due to how utterly random it is. You'd need to engage in a lot of superficial bullshit conversations, trial and error, before you even find someone with similar interests. On the Internet? Information is everywhere. You start a conversation because you knew something about them whereas if you're going to a bar, or even a convention, you know nothing about them besides their looks.

In general, on the internet, you're much faster and easier, generally more efficient, to find the right person to talk to. Starting a relationship online, really the primary con, as you said, is distance. The plus side is, it allows people to pinpoint who they think they'll like with much more accuracy than meeting them randomly in a bar or in a convention. Ironically, the distance card can be seen as a pro for some people. Because it allows people the possibility to meeting someone who they might really end up loving whereas 100 years ago, they would've never had the opportunity if they were confined to their limited physical boundaries. People would usually go for the "good enough" option, than the "closest to ideal" option back then, since the latter wasn't even possible.

This possibility for the "closest to ideal" option or just having more opportunities than limiting yourself to things close to you are pros that people might prefer in online dating. For countries that are right next to each other with simple immigration policies, the distance issue becomes even less problematic. I'm thinking neighbouring European countries, Canada and US, etc. Sure, there is some sacrifice with moving, but with how mobile we are these days, I'd imagine this con will become less and less noticeable. It's also safe to add here that only a certain type of person would make this type of relationship work. And everyone, at some point, would want a more physical contact due to whatever reasons.

I would add I wouldn't recommend abroad dating if it was like a 4-12hr time zone difference. That'd just be ridiculously difficult, not even because of lack of physical contact, but you'd struggle to even talk to each other with different time zones.
TachiiSep 23, 2014 3:37 PM
Sep 23, 2014 3:19 PM

Dec 2013
It's a terrible idea, almost never works.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

21 by Taiyaa »»
36 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 6 hours ago

10 by BitChilly »»
40 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 12 hours ago

9 by tsukareru »»
1 hour ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

39 by ProGoddess »»
2 hours ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

25 by KitsuFrost »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.