Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 13, 2014 10:45 PM

Jun 2011
Free probably has the best English I have ever heard from an anime, ever! Not kidding, it was really good, usually I just hear attempts at it. I'm really impressed with the homestay parent's English as well, sounds really realistic.
Oct 21, 2014 12:23 AM

Sep 2012
"Hah-roo, yu only swhim fhrey?"

"Eh-Ehyesu"

"Waouh, so eits trooh!"

LOOOL that engrish was painful. Good lord that was difficult to get through. I couldn't tell if they hired a really bad and awkward english voice actor, or if it was a Japanese person trying to speak english in an Australian accent. Either way it was terrible.

I think this episode was just an excuse for some Kyoani people to go on vacation in Australia and take pictures to use as locations and background pieces.

Meanwhile, Haru's entire dilemma is completely gone now. Oh.

Woo hoo I guess.

Everybody says to him "I want you to swim", he says "No", so they get angry at him, and say to him again "I want you to swim". And then he goes "Ok".

I think that's an accurate summary of Haru's character arc. Fucking riveting.

Can't wait for yet again more teary speeches about friendship next episode.
Dec 8, 2014 1:44 PM

Jul 2013
That was really great to see Rin take Haru to Australia and let him meet the family he stayed with, it was nice that they spoke English and to see Haru not understand lol. Poor little kid Rin, people making fun of his accent.

Yes, it'd be nice to go to Australia some day.

Nice to see that taking Haru to the pool made him want to carry on swimming!
Dec 15, 2014 8:06 PM

Apr 2009
That was very jarring to hear English. Whoever did it certainly tried their best, especially with an Australian accent.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Jan 3, 2015 5:18 PM

Aug 2009
Lovely episode--a fresh of breath air in the feels department.

Good try with the English, Miyano Mamoru.
Jan 4, 2015 8:36 AM

Oct 2013
Nice episode. But Japanese and their talent for English...I almost died laughing :D It never gets old.
Feb 20, 2015 6:15 AM
Feb 2015
It was cute on the airport when Haru couldn't talk in English. <3 I wanted to see Haru swimming in this swimming pool though, but unfortunately they didn't show it to us. And now we know more about Rin and his stay in Australia. Cuuute. And I didn't like when Haru didn't want to swim in the ocean... Why must he be so tough?
Feb 20, 2015 6:20 AM

Feb 2015
Someone play this episode this episode at my wedding.
Like I LOVED this episode, I am a huge RinHaru shipper which means bias. I know this episode split the fandom but I still loved it
The engrish and Haru being happy, like people getting annoyed at Haru 'finding a dream' always pissed me off, like did you WANT him to stay upset and lost? Like at least he is happy and as he is probably one of my fave anime characters I wanted to be happy so he did.
I will never forget this episode and it's beauty
Mar 2, 2015 8:46 AM

Sep 2014
Nice , Australia looks nice :3

English is good as well !

Great episode !
Mar 28, 2015 11:01 AM

Feb 2015
Mini-Rin is literally my favorite thing in the world. God he was so adorable as a kid... what happened!!!!
Jun 6, 2015 7:48 PM

Apr 2007
I like that KyoAni at least makes attempts at getting the English right. There were people with British accents in the K-On movie, and now, Australian accents in Free.
Jul 23, 2015 6:33 PM

Aug 2007
I really liked hearing the different accents.
It makes it more realistic, and I thought it was neat to see Rin learn English through school and everything. His English sounds about right from the people I've met where English isn't their first language. It's a heavy tone, but you can understand it easily enough.

Also, I would really love to visit Australia some day. It seems amazing. *^*

Aug 16, 2015 11:07 AM

Jul 2010
I'm glad Haru finally found his dream
Aug 20, 2015 1:37 PM

Aug 2015
i really enjoyed this episode, australia seems like a very cool place and rins english was the cutest thing ever ❤ i would totally rewatch this episode
♥ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ♥
Sep 1, 2015 12:03 AM

Aug 2010
I also enjoyed the episode. Too bad 1 episode left. That feels when an anime ends T_T

Get ready for the last episode!
Sep 14, 2015 7:47 AM

Aug 2008
This episode was awesome. Australia, I've been to all the places that were shown in the anime. Which makes the anime even better. I really enjoyed it. Also the accents were right.
Seeing australia in an anime is so surreal, it makes me really happy they based the trains and everything perfectly right. They just made it look good since the trains do have rubbish and graffiti so they just based it on the basic model and not give a bad impression of australia.

Rens277 said:
omg hahaha I found this ep really fascinating because I live in Sydney, Australia XD The aussie accents were a tad bit over exaggerated but still pretty spot on. I was really amazed by the scenery and attention to detail that was put in this episode. Its so surreal to see locations such as Hyde Park, Lidcombe Station, Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Olympic Park in anime form! Its even more weird when you've been to those locations on a regular basis XD I'm probs gonna like have a freakout next time I'm at Olympic Park XD

I don't why but seeing them made me really happy lolol probs because it makes the anime feel a lot closer to home

I couldn't stop laughing at Rin's english, it was too adorable XD

I felt exactly the same way as you did.
ikutoSep 14, 2015 7:51 AM
Jan 23, 2016 12:01 AM

Feb 2009
So... I guess they decided to make RinHaru totally canon. Lovely episode! <3
Jan 23, 2016 12:19 AM

Nov 2015
I was so happy

I live in Australia and I love Syndey

When Rin started speaking English I died and his school life just :,)

"Mai neimu is Rin Matsuoka"

This was just perfect
Feb 3, 2016 5:30 PM

Mar 2008
I was almost convinced that I preferred SouRin but nope, RinHaru best ship. Very nice episode but full of fanservice, goddamn.
Feb 19, 2016 7:19 AM

Apr 2015
The accents were actually pretty good. Rin's English is so adorable.

I'm glad Haruka finally found his dream.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Mar 20, 2016 1:25 AM

Mar 2012
this was an adorable episode. with all the feels and the details. i was smiling through the whole thing.

but it was the most predictable thing they could ever do. we all know as soon as the preview came up in the last episode that haru would come back to japan having decided what his dream was. then, wtf that was all it tool for haru to make up his mind and choose a future just like that?
May 2, 2016 11:40 AM

Jun 2010
Nice and refreshing episode.
I think Rin fits to be in Australia. I just hope he won't disappear again from his friends.
And about Makoto, somehow I feel he'll keep swimming with his friends even if he'll go to Tokyo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2016 3:41 PM
Jul 2018
Really enjoyed this one. Especially since I shipped Rin/Haru from the very beginning. However, I do think Haru's inner struggle was resolved too quickly, and it was obvious from last week's preview what was going to happen. It was nice to get a glimpse of Rin's life in Australia though. Still, they seriously could have done without most of the Sousuke drama and used that time on fleshing out Haru's character arc instead. You know, seeing as he's basically the most important character along with Rin. I thought this was mostly a poorly planned and uneven season. However, I do like the focus on themes of the future, moving on, change, etc.
Oct 8, 2016 4:17 PM

Feb 2014
Ugh, I cringed so much during the entire episode.

I am sorry to say this, but the English in this episode annoyed me big time. I just felt uncomfortable listening to it, because it felt so unnatural to the characters and kind of awkward. Also, the small talk at Rin's homestay house xD wtaf xD If they don't have anything of actual importance to say, not to mention their guest not understanding them anyways, why are they wasting so much time?

Rin's talking this episode also was sappy af. And Haru hardly said anything the whole trip! I mean, I get that Haru is...an introvert, but spare me them repeted monologues about swimming and friendship. I got it already >.<

I'll probably not watch the next episode. I just didn't like the whole course this season was taking, and the characters became less likeable to me. Sorry, I had to rant this somewere, since I liked the first season of this show quite a bit and I'm feeling cheated now :S
L had a poster of Norman in his room
Jul 17, 2017 12:46 AM

Jan 2013
The best Free! ep ever and forever, no doubt.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Sep 20, 2017 10:03 AM

Jul 2009
Omg such a great episode! Man I wish I had someone like Rin who could just take me to Australia ... sigh lol. The English was surprisingly awesome, they must have hired some native speakers or something? :O Plus I love the Rin and Haru time, they didn't interact much this season so I'm glad we saw them together here :D Plus so many shipping moments ... the single bed ... "who's always in such a hurry to take their clothes off?" Yeah you would know wouldn't you Rin XD I'm glad that Rin was able to inspire him, plus when he said that stuff about always looking up to him I was like omg BAE, this is why you are the best character Rin LOL :P Last episode next! We'll have one more race between them ... then what will happen? :O Rin's gonna go back to swimming in Australia ... maybe we'll have a timeskip to when they meet at the international stadium again :O
Nov 27, 2017 1:27 AM
Sep 2015
Haru and Rin went both to Australia.
"I've always admired you." Welp, if this ain't a confession scene

The dog's name is Winnie? WHAT
nifetiseBOYNov 27, 2017 1:34 AM
Oct 30, 2018 4:44 PM

Aug 2017
It was a nice episode. It explained more about Rin living in Australia. Also, Haru's issue was solved.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 13, 2019 8:42 PM

Jul 2016
Well, that receptionist was quite rude...

Anyways, this was a pretty good episode. I really liked the way it was executed and man, gotta love Rin for the great development he has had since season 1, such a likeable character.

The scene with his homestay parents was also quite sweet to see. They really considered him as their own child, such a really cute sequence, honestly.

And it seems Haru has finally found his dream. Now all that remains is for him to properly apologize to Makoto and co. in the next ep.
Jul 16, 2019 5:42 AM

May 2016
A change of normal episode to this made it so refreshing and that jump when he found his dream was great.
Jul 20, 2019 1:36 PM

May 2015
That's it?

The episode was good and refreshing and I really liked it until Haru just made up his mind like that. It was a beautiful moment but it fell flat because it didn't convey any more reasoning for Haru than before. He just wanted to be free but suddenly imagining interational stage made him find his dream while the image wasn't all that different from anything he'd seen before including scouts and other people cheering for him. I'm glad Haruka gets some character development but it's so messy and confusing, I don't know anymore.
Oct 25, 2019 6:33 PM

Jun 2014
Haruka and Rin slept together, lol.

Haruka has finally realized what he wants, to the point where he actually smiled.

Jun 16, 2020 3:03 AM

Feb 2020
This was a wonderful episode! Definitely one of my favorites in the entire anime. This episode truly made me smile...

The realistic scenery in this episode was impressive. I haven't been to Australia myself, although I have seen pictures, and from what I've seen and read in the other comments here, it seems to be spot on.

Onto on one of the other highlights of this episode...the English! Or, perhaps, Engrish. The voice actors for Rin's home-stay parents were impressive and crystal clear, and this is one of the very few times (so far) that I've seen an anime been able to very clearly differentiate between Japanese people and Caucasian people. Who knows, maybe I just like thick Australian accents too much! Aha.

I've seen people complain about Rin's Engrish. Here's my view: It's not NEARLY as bad as it could be, and it's realistic. As nice as it would be to hear Rin speaking with a clear Australian accent, it wouldn't make sense. And, considering he doesn't constantly use his English now, and that he's obviously not a native - his Japanese accent when speaking English is obviously going to sound like that. Sucks for you that you cringed at it. I thought his English (and Haruka's!) were both cute.

After reading some of the comments on this forum, it really does seem like people are being a little more harsh than they need to be. Seeing as they clearly didn't like the series up 'til this point, of course they're going to watch this episode, expecting to hate it. Can't blame the natural bias...

OVERALL! This episode was a nice change of tone. It was well done, in my opinion. Put a huge smile on my face.

Oh. And can't forget:

Haha, Rin and Haruka slept in the same bed.
Aug 14, 2021 7:38 AM
Sep 2018
it's really incredible. I don't even know what to say to describe the feelings I have towards this anime seriously...

I would have liked to see Rin and Haru against the pro team but you can't have everything ahah.
Aug 16, 2021 8:39 AM

May 2019
This show sure doesn't let up on sentimental value.
Rin's Aussie family ;.; !!!!!! They're soooo sweet.
Then there's Rin's admiration for Haru. Despite being a hot-headed mess, Rin's a big softie and just loves Haru with all his heart.

Then the show balances things out with a bit of comedy. Hahaha, their girly names and the
hotel.

But then...by the end I'm crying again...
Nov 30, 2021 1:38 AM

Nov 2019
Rin and Haru speaking English was so adorable
Dec 15, 2021 6:52 PM
Apr 2021
It was cool that the characters spoke English so much. Overall a fun episode and an interesting change in mood.

Apr 3, 2022 12:38 AM

Feb 2020
Australia is a beautiful country.

So much English this episode. That was pretty cool. :P

Yeah, this was a nice and enjoyable episode.
Jul 10, 2023 11:36 PM
Jul 2021
Yeah Australia doesn't look like that anymore, with all that "cultural enrichment" they'd had in this last couple of years.

That front desk wahmen was rude and condescending asf! More like a b!tch/cvnt! With that kind of attitude I am surprised that the Hotel was "full" and that by itself was a lie, behind her we could see all the keys hanging out and about.

I know that not every key hanging equals an empty room, but c'mon, let's be honest here, we all know that in the hospitality industry there isn't such a thing as 100% occupancy, there is always some rooms that are left vacant for one reason or another.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Feb 9, 8:40 PM
Feb 2022
They slept in the same bed........
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

125 by hidenashi »»
Feb 8, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2014

304 by hidenashi »»
Feb 3, 8:29 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2014

147 by CCC47 »»
Jan 20, 9:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.