Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 31, 2014 4:59 PM

May 2012
In the end I'm still sad that Cal had to go that way and die but at least she died by the right hands... Pretty nice development and I really wonder what the final episode will offer us!
Apr 21, 2014 2:44 AM

Aug 2013
Thing could have just ended happily... but they just had to do it.
CALLLLLL.... this is too much.... whyyyyy....... :'0
Kill.. kill.. kill all those basterds Reiji !! Damn they ruined a pure little innocent girl's life.
Argh.. so emotional.. can't keep it in.
Well it's finally the end and good riddance to this anime. gosh.
May 9, 2014 2:23 PM

Jul 2013
So Cal finally died. Was a pretty pointless death. Why couldn't they have just made up?

Now Scythe has finally shown up. I really hope he dies and Reiji and Eren escape though I doubt we'll see a nice ending. I can dream right?
Jul 10, 2014 10:00 PM

Oct 2013
Really not enjoying this show anymore
Finally the real problem arises after they kill each other
gimme a break HOW IS this rated higher than an 8?????
disliked this episode well the hole arc in general
SO they "kill" cal we all new she wasn't dead but reji didnt know about it
bring her back jsut to have him kill her
fucking stupid
[/quote]
Jul 11, 2014 4:23 AM
Jun 2009
Cal was an awesome character but they really ruined her as the show went on. Dusty Trails ending from the VN is absolutely the best ending and they really should have incorporated it into the anime. They could easily change a few things to make it more complete.

Anime ending just was not satisfying and really missed the mark in regards to the theme of getting back what was lost. It was a nonsensical conclusion and overall they completely fucked up a massive homerun in storytelling by delivering an abysmal last few episodes.

Cal/Elen/Reiji were not stupid but they were stripped of any semblance of intelligence by the powers in charge. Cal had one of the dumbest deaths in anime history.
Oct 8, 2014 5:11 PM

Apr 2013
This is a message to Cal from Reiji in the words of the great Chris Tucker from Rush Hour 2. "We could have been a good couple, we could have had something special, but you're one crazy-ass bitch!"

dankzelOct 9, 2014 11:27 AM
Feb 9, 2015 2:35 AM
Aug 2014
So was I suddenly supposed to symphatize with the crazy psycho Cal after this episode and be sad that she died. Sorry, but with such poor characterization and such forced plot mechanics, that's just not possible.
Feb 18, 2015 9:13 AM

Aug 2012
Such feels...that alternative setting ... poor Cal :(.
Apr 12, 2015 7:30 AM

Oct 2013
Why was Cal there in the first place if they'll kill her off anyway?...the story could have progressed without her very fine...she was just ...there! Nothing else. Obviously just for Zweis characteerdevelopment but still to me an unnecessary character. This anime had so much capability....
<3
Jun 13, 2015 5:18 PM

Aug 2008
I'm rather disappointed, its like Reiji abandoned her all over again. The only solution was to shoot her? Ridiculous, especially after your little promise to save her to Mio, unless you are taking the "we had to destroy the village to save it" tactic, or in this case "I had to kill her to save her". She was swayable I think, you didn't even bother trying to convince her you didn't abandon her at all... but really this is the writers trying to force sympathy onto Cal and doing a bad job of it. Really frustrating, this show was better before the time skip.
Jun 24, 2015 10:22 PM

Jul 2014
Cal's death and the whole ordeal is pretty stupid...sorry to say :/ tha fuck Reiji?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2016 7:39 AM

Sep 2015
The most inconsistent character of this show has died...

Oh, and master Scythe apparently will end being the best character of this whole series hehehe
Jan 28, 2016 1:06 PM

Aug 2013
And So Cal died for nothing. I just started to like her... damn you Reiji
Aug 13, 2016 12:28 AM

Jul 2008
Cal YOU IDIOT!!!!!

I have characters like this, they do all this shit then go I just wanted to be with you at the end...you didn't HAVE to do any of this shit and Reiji would have understood.

SMH...
Apr 2, 2017 8:29 AM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

Bye bye Cal. You got Reiji all to yourself "at the end".

Ein is bulletproof too.
Jul 30, 2017 8:53 AM

May 2015
Zwei just kill his loli. Finally! Never go full-lolicon!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 22, 2018 12:26 PM
Dec 2017
How can the author be so selfish to put such a f***ing endig like this for a girl that was innocet in past and made her a monster wihthout any acceptable reason...
My question is why cal should be so badly angry because of just guessing that she was abadoned by reiji?and why reiji didin't say that he thought cal is dead?and do not making such a tragedy like this?
The author is such a psychotic and sadist person...
this ending sucks...
I am sorry for the creator...damn them...damn damn damn...
Apr 17, 2018 11:14 AM

Aug 2014
What a fucking stupid end to Cal! Man, this is some serious bullshit. OUt of all the scenarios that could have happened, the only solution would be to kill Cal? It's like Reiji abandoned her all over again. I just don't understand it. Cal's arc was handled very badly. Things just did not make any sense. This was the only possible conclusion?

This ending for Cal sucks balls and makes no sense. I fucking hate this show. The only way to redeem it would be to have Reiji and Elen die, too. Cal does not deserve to die all alone like this.
Apr 24, 2018 3:08 PM

May 2016
R.I.P Cal I definitely thought they would create a situation to fight the others with Elein.
May 2, 2018 6:51 PM
May 2017
Did they really have to kill Cal? Like why can't Reiji do his charms like what he did to Eren. Also the quick draw scene, like out of the phantoms none of them would die so quickly with one bullet wound. Sucks...
Jan 1, 2019 12:21 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Goodbye and good riddance, Cal.
Apr 3, 2019 1:19 AM

Nov 2011
This anime doesn't have a good ending after all..
Cal was obviously wrong, but she is the personification of tragedy in this show ...
I hope Elen won't die too ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 30, 2019 2:48 PM
May 2019
Ankylar said:
What a fucking stupid end to Cal! Man, this is some serious bullshit. OUt of all the scenarios that could have happened, the only solution would be to kill Cal? It's like Reiji abandoned her all over again. I just don't understand it. Cal's arc was handled very badly. Things just did not make any sense. This was the only possible conclusion?

This ending for Cal sucks balls and makes no sense. I fucking hate this show. The only way to redeem it would be to have Reiji and Elen die, too. Cal does not deserve to die all alone like this.

Cals Death made me have suicidal thoughts ngl, I never cried to an anime before but when I saw episode 25, I cried so damn hard.

I hope they make ova adapting a Cals True Route where she survives so I can be at peace but I doubt they will ever do that since its already been like 10 years since this anime was released.
May 30, 2019 2:48 PM
May 2019
Jim_Heart said:
This anime doesn't have a good ending after all..
Cal was obviously wrong, but she is the personification of tragedy in this show ...
I hope Elen won't die too ...

Yep, Cals Death was a total tragedy, I could care less about Zwei and Ein. Im just sad that Cal died like that.
Nov 23, 2019 8:09 AM
Jan 2018
I simply don't get it. This doesn't make any sense to me. The writers lost me somewhere along the way...
Dec 22, 2019 12:14 AM

Feb 2018
Simple and one shot one kill for duel xD. Rip Cal
Feb 23, 2020 11:49 AM

Nov 2016
Raizel said:
R.I.P Cal I definitely thought they would create a situation to fight the others with Elein.

Me too, but she had to die in order to be spared from getting cucked.

Despite hating the f out of her I still felt sad during her death.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 12, 2023 1:22 PM

Dec 2022
First character death I'm actually upset about. Not only was Cal the victim of the same crap that Scythe Master pulled with Elen, but she was also the victim of bad character writing after the timeskip. Didn't deserve that.

Shaded Horizon

May 3, 2023 6:48 PM

Aug 2019
I've got a good amount of thoughts in my mind on the final chapter of this anime and don't want to waste too much time trying to sort them to be coherent, so I'm just going to word vomit all over this comment and do this steam of consciousness-style.

I was going to start this out by saying that this anime functions as a lukewarm, semi-cautionary tragic tale of people who get sucked into an abusive cycle of violence that they are never able to free themselves from and that ultimately gets the final say at the end, but for some reason, I was going to phrase that in a negative way, but actually I don't mind that and if the anime had done a better job of it, then this would've gotten a high rating from me regardless of how I did want this to be a more healing story. This series had a very strong base to work from and even up until the end of the second chapter, I was into it and intrigued about where it would go from there, but then the third chapter comes along and leaves me feeling conflicted but underwhelmed in the end, which is a shame because it very much had my attention from the start of it. However, the ball that the first two chapters got rolling just started rolling downhill, gradually at first before it plateaued and never really went up again. I had my reservations seeing how the third chapter started off, but I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because I thought the series would do something compelling, but at a certain point, I realize that what it was giving me was not going to finish this series in a way that would do the previous chapters justice and while I think it's a shame, I started feeling this pretty early on in the third chapter that it didn't come as a unpleasant shock in the end.

There was the tonal shift having the Japanese high school setting pop up with a cast of high schoolers that never got fully fleshed out - which really harmed Mio's character because I was supposed to feel a lot because of her, but a lot of the things that involved her were never that impactful because she always felt like a mild-mannered prop - and for some reason, Reiji and Elen are not bothering to go by different names and I'm wondering why they're even going to high school when they can be enjoying their freedom some other way. Maybe they both wanted to return to a life of normalcy so badly that they returned to high school because it allowed Reiji to revisit his past and for Elen to experience something she was never able to experience, which would've been a touching angle to come at it from, but the series never delves into that, so I'm just here thinking of "Twilight" vampires. Not to mention there was some random song that would get played at times that included the sound of someone having an orgasm that was so out-of-place.

And then there's Cal's entire plotline, which was so heavy-handed that I barely felt for her even though I knew where it was coming from with the second chapter. If anything, she should've just died for real in that bombing, but again I thought the series was going to go somewhere with her becoming an assassin, but it goes nowhere. There's so much telling and not enough showing. It's just punching in the same point again and again that she got abandoned and hurt from that experience so that got warped into a violent need for revenge that I can understand why some people would be annoyed by it. You could do something actually emotional with that, but it just comes off as an immature tantrum instead of a mature depiction of lost and grief. And it got resolved in the most unsatisfying way that Reiji also started to irritate me. He supposedly cares a lot for her, but barely lifts a finger to show her how much she means to him. I guess I'm just supposed to assume that these characters are so twisted by violence that attempting a heart-to-heart is unfathomable to them, because there's not even any attempts made for that like I get that Cal would be stubborn against it, but any potential for this series to touch on something real and raw is just tossed aside for this revenge plot that apparently can only be resolved if one of them dies - and even that is undercut in this episode by how immediately at peace she is after she's shot. Instead of being given the moment to have every emotion that's been bottled up within her come out at being defeated by Reiji, she's fine with everything now. Just like that. And that watch felt so gimmicky and was overused. (Also, her appearance after the time-skip took me out for a bit because suddenly this girl that I thought was a middle schooler is tall and has huge tits in the span of two years. I actually had to go look up her age to find out how old she was and came to the conclusion that the writer(s) do not understand that girls experience puberty differently than boys.)

The only thing left to touch on is Elen and Reiji's relationship. It was the highlight of the first chapter. I could excuse it not being a focal point in the second chapter, because of the situations they were in and it was shifting the focus to other things, but I was viewing it as a transitional chapter for the third chapter where it would get revisited and built upon. The two literally spent two years together running from their past and trying to create a future for themselves, so you would think that they'd be closer from when we last saw them, but they still come across as so distant to each other. I expected that they'd open up to each other - even if it hadn't been completely, but at least in a couple of ways that would've been interesting to see their relationship developed somehow, but then half-formed or barely-formed relationships get thrown in the mix where I start to feel as if the writer(s) are trying to turn the series into some pseudo-harem which is not what I'm there for and not where the series needs to go, because it already has a lot going for it. Either way I was way too unmoved by the final scene of the last episode for how compelling these two characters and their relationship had been in the first chapter. I'm surprised I'm not more disappointed by that. Maybe I'm just at a point where I've put my guard up because I know I have high expectations that I have to be tentative about because most anime do not meet them, so I'm just sitting here shrugging my shoulders.

At this point, it's clear that I've written an entire review, but I'll just leave it as is on this thread since I'm focusing on how this series concluded. It had potential and actually felt fresh during that first chapter and even into the second chapter, but this series was not given enough breathing room. All things said, that's my biggest gripe with the series and that's why I can't really find fault with it and am not as let down as I could be, because what's the point when its length is to blame? The first chapter worked as good as it did because it was given the time to develop, but then that time got shorter and shorter for the last two chapters. I could see the last chapter being better than it is if it had been given more time to develop the characters and relationships and themes, etc. There was stuff there - even if it was going in a direction I didn't particularly care for - but it got rushed. This series should've been at least 36/39 episodes with 12/13 episodes for each chapter. That would've done the story a lot more favors. It had more going on than it had the time to deal with. Being slow and depressing was when this series shined brightest, but instead it had to quicken the pace and got turned into a melodramatic spectacle as a result.
Jun 6, 2023 12:07 AM
May 2023
LadyOrihime said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just finished watching episode 25 on KeyHoleTV. Very emotional episode. See below for spoilers (including crappy screen captures behind the PIC Links) DO NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT BEING SPOILED IF YOU CLICK THIS AND ACTUALLY GET SPOILED

LadyOrihime said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just finished watching episode 25 on KeyHoleTV. Very emotional episode. See below for spoilers (including crappy screen captures behind the PIC Links) DO NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT BEING SPOILED IF YOU CLICK THIS AND ACTUALLY GET SPOILED

This is the ending
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 24, 2009

631 by _RushBee_ »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nayrael - Aug 13, 2009

272 by TankerNejla »»
Apr 29, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Phantom Requiem for the Phantom Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mikiyo - Apr 3, 2009

171 by defaulticus »»
Mar 17, 3:51 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.