Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Noragami: Stray God
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you wish we had a different female lead?
Apr 11, 2014 3:28 PM

Apr 2011
Personally I'd have enjoyed the series significantly more if Hiyori had been erased from the narrative altogether, or at the very least, been a radically different person. Reasons:

1) Useless in combat against actual enemies
2) Hair-trigger violent against her allies
3) Hits on Yukine (leading to his corruption), falls in love with Yato for no reason
4) Stupid subplot that goes nowhere with the half-Phantom thing
5) Boring, generic character design
6) Never funny, entertaining or badass in any way, shape or form
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 11, 2014 3:36 PM

Nov 2008
She's a normal student who cares about her friends. What are you expecting out of her? Some yakuza daughter?
Apr 11, 2014 3:41 PM

Sep 2012
No. She has a tail.
Apr 12, 2014 2:39 AM

Sep 2013
Better Than Most annoying female characters
Apr 12, 2014 2:42 AM

Apr 2007
Blind_Guardian said:
Personally I'd have enjoyed the series significantly more if Hiyori had been erased from the narrative altogether, or at the very least, been a radically different person. Reasons:

3) Hits on Yukine (leading to his corruption), falls in love with Yato for no reason

1. I don't see why this is important. As others have said she's a normal middle/high school student with normall middle/high school student capabilities. Why do you expect her to be good at combat?
2. Not really
3. Uh... no? She's nice to Yukine I don't think that's the same as hitting on him.
4. What did you expect from a twelve-episode adaptation of an ongoing manga?

SetsukoHara said:
No. She has a tail.

6. No.
Apr 12, 2014 3:12 AM

Nov 2013
Not me. Think about it, without Hiyori, what would Noragami have been really? Yukine and Yato arguing and bullshitting around all day? Without Hiyori, Yukine never would have changed, so in my eyes she was an important character in the show.

Plus, she's cute and has a tail. Now on the other hand if you asked the question: Anyone else hate Yukine? I'm sure you would get some similar opinions.
Apr 12, 2014 3:21 AM

Nov 2013
Pond said:
Blind_Guardian said:

1. I don't see why this is important. As others have said she's a normal middle/high school student with normall middle/high school student capabilities. Why do you expect her to be good at combat?
2. Not really
3. Uh... no? She's nice to Yukine I don't think that's the same as hitting on him.

SetsukoHara said:
No. She has a tail.

6. No.

^This.
Apr 12, 2014 11:35 PM

May 2010
I don't hate her, but I don't think the show needs her either.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 13, 2014 12:32 AM
Aug 2013

To answer #3 Hiyori was acting like a mother or sister to Yukine,Yukine the child while Yoto seem like the father figure in my opinion.She did like him because of his scent and his kindness towards people could be a factor.
Apr 13, 2014 12:44 AM
Oct 2013
Er me gad. I het this show but its to mainstream. So I just het a character instead. Gretist excuse evar
Apr 13, 2014 12:58 AM

Dec 2012
I don't have any reason to hate her.

Apr 13, 2014 5:57 AM

Jun 2013
th3pwnsh0p said:

I second that ..

she is how a normal highschool girl looks like, and not being tsundere, violent and those annoying things like most female character do to the main male character, why should I hate her?
Apr 13, 2014 7:20 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Confucius said:
I don't hate her, but I don't think the show needs her either.

This is pretty much how I felt about her the chapter she was introduced in the manga. She feels like a Nami from Alive (the first manga Adachi Toka drew for), but less badass and less useful. She even looks like Nami, though I guess that's not surprising since the same artist drew the characters.

But I still see the reason for her to be in the show because of the experience and feelings Yato (and Yukine) has when with her. I guess in a way she makes them feel alive and takes away the feeling of loneliness from being forgotten, etc. Yet I still don't care much about her for some reason. She just doesn't feel very interesting to me.

th3pwnsh0p said:

Also this lol. At least I don't feel that she's incredibly annoying or anything.
Apr 14, 2014 9:46 AM
Feb 2012
She hasn't fall in love with Yato yet (in anime). But in manga, I think Yato is the first who fall in love.
Apr 14, 2014 9:48 AM

Jan 2013
HOW

DARE

YOU
Apr 14, 2014 10:17 AM

Dec 2013
SolviteSekai said:
HOW

DARE

YOU

HOW

DARE

HE

...Hiyori is love
Apr 14, 2014 10:59 AM

Jan 2014
I disagree, with Yato being the odd-ball, and Yuki being the "I dont care" follower, her prescence balances the shows chemistry with her normal-ness :P
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2014 8:23 AM

May 2012
I don't hate her. She's okay. Unlike Yukine :)))
Apr 25, 2014 9:13 AM

Feb 2014
Blind_Guardian said:

1- Didnt she kick that ghost or something with a Jungle Kick ?
2- meh
3- Lol how can she hit on him as she just talked with him , if a girl did that to you , would you think that she wants you?
Do people really need a reason to fall in love?
4-Not her fault
5- Well a bit
6- But she was cute when she was making cat ears out of foam
Apr 25, 2014 9:16 AM

Sep 2011
Pond said:
Blind_Guardian said:

2. Not really

SetsukoHara said:
No. She has a tail.

6. No.
yeah pretty much, though to add onto this how can anyone even say she falls in love with yato for no reason, like she didnt just drop her panties for him the second they met, they go through experiences together and learns more about him and begins to care about him as the series goes on. Theres no spontaneous wanting of the D

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 25, 2014 10:44 AM

Dec 2012
No. She is really likable. I even found Yukine likable despite being voiced by Yuki..

Blind_Guardian said:

1)She doesn't have any special abilities that could help there. And I reckon in the first episode that she tried to use her combat abilities, jungle savate or w/e it's called, her role in the plot is not to fight those creatures anyway.
2) Umm..No? she hit Yato like twice at most in a comedic way.
3) I don't think being nice and caring means she hits on him. What lead to Yukine corruption was his unpure desires. Don't people get tired of this? isn't spending a time with someone and harbor feelings for them overtime is what happens in real life? it's natural and makes more sense than a forced reason.
4)The manga isn't finished? and the anime only adapted the first arc in 9 episodes.
5) I like her character design, especially with the tail and the winter coat
6)I found her funny and entertaining due to her lovable interactions with Yato and everyone else

>'badass''
lol
Apr 28, 2014 9:13 PM

Jun 2012
Anyone else hate (insert female lead)?

God these topics are over done. Not to mention pointless, since there are going to be people that say yes and people that say no.

But since I'm here anyway, I'll add my own opinion.
No, I don't hate her because:
1. She's not nagging at the protagonist all the time.
2. She's plays the role of a tsukkomi pretty well.
3. She's not crying or hitting the protagonist every 5 minutes.
4. She's actually helpful (just because she's not beating up enemies along side the main character doesn't mean she's useless)

I don't know how much anime you have watched but if you disliked Hiyori, then you're going to hate ALOT of series involving a girl sidekick.
(>'_')>#
~Here's a waffle, please calm down...

"See that? She's cute and popular. You could say that her milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard. But YOU club President... your milkshakes are wasted on you. In other words, you're wasteful." ~D-Frag (Best.Reference.Ever.)
Jun 12, 2014 6:44 AM

Oct 2013
#4. without 'the half-phantom' thing, i doubt there would even be a Noragami. Hiyori isnt so bad. its stupid how people think an anime has to be action-packed 24/7 with lame outfits and fighting to be good.
#6 hiyori's really funny in the manga
#5 i could slap you. would it kill someone to stop droppin the G word every-damn-where?!
she's an average high schooler! her hair isnt even a weird color and she wears normal length socks!
....its Yukine i hate
Jun 29, 2014 2:12 PM

Jan 2014
Blind_Guardian said:

i dont know which shows you watch but she is not generic,not her character or appearance...She played her part as "ordinary girl get caught on situation" and added some romance elements here and there.Also why do you want her to fight?this isnt Fairy Tail or Naruto(if you want to hate someone,hate Sakura).She dont have to fight :S
Jul 11, 2014 1:10 PM

Apr 2011
LonelyWizard said:
Blind_Guardian said:

i dont know which shows you watch but she is not generic,not her character or appearance...She played her part as "ordinary girl get caught on situation" and added some romance elements here and there.Also why do you want her to fight?this isnt Fairy Tail or Naruto(if you want to hate someone,hate Sakura).She dont have to fight :S

I am perfectly capable of hating both, thank you. Sakura is worse than Hiyori, but Hiyori was still just plain annoying.
Jul 11, 2014 2:15 PM

Dec 2012
Both Sakura and Hiyori are awesome.

Still no.
Jul 11, 2014 6:47 PM

Nov 2013
tsudecimo said:

Still no.
They suck at fighting tho.
Jul 13, 2014 3:00 PM

Jan 2014
Botato said:
tsudecimo said:

Still no.
but one of them is a Kunoichi,while other is an ordinary school girl...so one of them supposed to know how to fight,while the other one doesnt...you cant accuse Hiyori because of her inability to fight...
Jul 13, 2014 3:17 PM

Nov 2013
LonelyWizard said:
Botato said:
but one of them is a Kunoichi,while other is an ordinary school girl...so one of them supposed to know how to fight,while the other one doesnt...you cant accuse Hiyori because of her inability to fight...
I wasn't being serious...
Jul 13, 2014 10:20 PM

Jan 2014
Botato said:
LonelyWizard said:
I wasn't being serious...
me neither :I
Aug 7, 2014 9:56 AM

Aug 2014
Hiyorin is amiable.
* She isn't made to fight/combat. She's merely a half-phantom human.
* It's not that she's violent to her allies. That's how a girl suppose to be in anime, I suppose.
* Agree to the point where she's too oblivious to Yukine. It's quite annoying, but nothing happened since Yato's there to protect her, remember the scene about the hospital. Ofc, she's most likely to fall to Yato.
* Half-phantom part wasn't really the focus of the anime. I know, they should've at least made an explaination about it, but why sidetrack. :*
* It was pretty hilarious imo, not much of actions, more on talking, etc.
Everyone has their own opinions, I guess we all have different standards.
Adios ~
P.S. Plis no flaming whatsoever, just another average human stating an opinion.
Aug 9, 2014 7:29 AM

Nov 2013
She's actually one of the very, very, very few anime female leads I've ever liked. I actually loved that girl. She doesn't sit in the corner crying for help. She did things (even if she didn't have the power, she still fought).

She's weird :') I loved her dry/oblivious humor, and her loyalty to her friends. She's a little clueless in some things, but honestly, you should be able to be nice to a guy without him wanting to put his dick in you (cough yes you Yuki). She didn't lead him on at all. She was just nice to him. She was a big sister type. He's the one that turned it dirty...

I liked the romance with Yato. The only thing I didn't like was the slap stick anime girl shriek and punch at the guy's perverted comment, but oh well.

"You mean I'm not wireless?!"
Aug 9, 2014 11:33 PM

May 2013
I was swindled by the potato.

Nah, she's fine. She is certainly the straight man of the group when you get down to it. At the very least she is serviceable in her role (primarily of being the normal person that something odd happens to and you can more easily take in this foreign universe a story has).

Aeroing said:
She's weird :') I loved her dry/oblivious humor, and her loyalty to her friends. She's a little clueless in some things, but honestly, you should be able to be nice to a guy without him wanting to put his dick in you (cough yes you Yuki). She didn't lead him on at all. She was just nice to him. She was a big sister type. He's the one that turned it dirty...
Agreed. Though, given Yuki's age and gender, his reaction to her being nice is entirely reasonable. Or, at the very least, realistic.
Aug 15, 2014 10:23 AM
Aug 2013
Well, not really

But I'm not particularly fond of her either
Aug 18, 2014 5:59 AM

Jul 2012
I dont hate her as long as she loves Yato-sama :P But if she ends with another guy, she will be on my most hated protagonist list.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2014 9:08 AM
Nov 2012
I love her. I think she's adorable, sweet and altogether a very likable character.
Aug 20, 2014 2:24 PM

Dec 2010
OP that post says alot about you....nothing good.

I love that you think she corrupted Yukine by "hitting on him".

Apparently being nice is lewd behavior? She saw his as a little brother, he saw her as a sexual object.

He is the only annoying character on the show.

/thread
Aug 20, 2014 7:51 PM

Jan 2014
Blazed88 said:
OP that post says alot about you....nothing good.

I love that you think she corrupted Yukine by "hitting on him".

Apparently being nice is lewd behavior? She saw his as a little brother, he saw her as a sexual object.

He is the only annoying character on the show.

/thread
nuff said
Aug 22, 2014 10:25 PM

Feb 2010
sheidesu said:
I don't hate her. She's okay. Unlike Yukine :)))

Yukine completely outdoes Hiyori if we're talking about annoying.
Sep 15, 2014 2:23 PM

Jul 2007
She's like Kagome~
Sep 16, 2014 6:13 AM
Jun 2013
I'm only three episodes through this series, but I kinda agree. She's kinda useless, her attitude is annoying, and she does have only a really small influence on the plot as well. Her look is good though.

Maybe my opinion about her will change as I get further in this anime.
Sep 17, 2014 11:17 AM

Aug 2011
A forgettable character and series.

» Escapism.

Sep 28, 2014 12:58 PM
Aug 2012
i think she'd be a lot better of a character if she actually did something for yato.

imo, when hiyori "saved" yukine, was just a sad attempt at the author trying to make hiyori seem useful.

would be a lot better if hiyori actually tried to help yato in some way to build his shrine, or even to gain some followers... well... maybe she will change in the 2nd season, after having been saved by yato.

*haven't read the manga*
Oct 12, 2014 2:16 AM

Apr 2014
Nah I had no real problem with her and there have been a hella lot of more useless female leads just saying.
Oct 14, 2014 11:41 AM

Jun 2014
I don't know why she should be hated except she interrupt a YatoxYukine yaoi fangirls.
Oct 18, 2014 6:14 AM

Mar 2014
"Hits on Yukine?" Isn't it Yukine who tries to touch her boobies in episode 5 or something?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 1, 2015 8:23 PM
Jan 2014
Nope, I love her character. Nevertheless, the problem of this series does lie on her. The show wouldn't be the same without her. She's wonderful character. However, the series should have granted her more power to make her more useful. As of right now in the anime, her involvement sometimes seems a bit contrived to me. Either that or give her some special strength in another department. Letting an ordinary middle/high-schooler participate in a action, fantasy journey is a bit absurd.

PS: Haven't read the manga yet.
Aug 2, 2015 12:40 PM

Dec 2014
I don't hate her. I just find her actions to be a bit forced and more of a cliched cheerleader. She keeps asking for Yato to do her requested job, but then refuses to leave him either.

I honestly think that the misfortune god(the pink haired girl) would be better off with Yato. They both are lazy and carefree and joke around a lot.

Yato is pretty old... I thought he would be a lot wiser after being a mercenary but he is slowly falling attached to Hiyori.

Yukine is somewhat more worse than Hiyori. Took him way too long to realize that he had what he wanted with him all along.
Is this where you live?

Aug 11, 2015 5:01 PM

Nov 2012
Worst "arguments" for hating a character I have ever seen.
Aug 22, 2015 2:40 PM

Mar 2014
I don't HATE her, but she also isn't my favorite character (not even in my top five). Bishamon is much better in my opinion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Noragami Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2014

517 by zoehegoburu »»
Feb 21, 7:12 AM

» I will ANIMATE the S3 if no studios does (NOT A BAIT) ( 1 2 3 )

WVM - Feb 19, 2023

110 by Spunkert »»
Feb 17, 5:14 AM

Poll: » Noragami Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2014

315 by Beatnik »»
Jan 23, 6:16 AM

Poll: » Noragami Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2014

301 by Hanarose72 »»
Jan 6, 2:23 PM

Poll: » Noragami Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2014

202 by WELLERM »»
Dec 9, 2023 3:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.