Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 19, 2009 11:05 PM

Oct 2008
Hope DEEN can fix week square in the DVD release, this is just painful to my eyes.

On the episode itself, I was disappointed with the first twilight, it lost much of the impact from the original VN. A better way to approach this scene, I believe, is let Rosa first thinking that they are still alive, then finding out that they are not, followed by a closer look at their stomachs. I think the reason that the puking was taken out was due to DEEN's intention to downplay the gore a bit, given that this is one of the most gruesome scenes in the VN ( and I loved it, played it twice because I can't forget the chills it gave me during my first run)

Kanon's fighting scene was fine in my opinion, and the length was sufficient, though lack of dialogue between Kanon and Jessica was a downer. However, lets remember that this is a show that attempts to cram 52 episode of materials to at least 26, you outta lose some. The red text was, imo, well implemented and placed, and would be very fun to see later episodes be flying with them.

Sound wise, lack of original BGM pumping is disappointing. Asmodeus [sp] made my laugh a bit because the K-ON flashbacks (and knowing the seiyuu connection), Beatrice's crackle was prefect. I wasn't sure at first about the seiyuu choice, but now I think they made a good call on this one.

Overall, an ok episode that could be better.
Aug 20, 2009 3:47 AM

Jul 2009
i find this episode quite entertaining. I guess by now i am just too used to the non-logical parts(magic) that I start to ignore them already. and there is indeed thrill to keep me watching unlike some of the other shows this season (can**n etc.)

but Now, I dont get why people keep complaining about this episode and the censored part (unless you are totally twisted and just cant live without a detailed graphical presentation of the gore scenes)
Aug 20, 2009 3:57 AM

Nov 2007
Maria's face in the chapel is by far her ugliest expression so far, her gremlin smile doesn't look as bad. The stakes introduction were good and I think the goats were great. I like their big ol' gaping mouths full of sharp teeth all the better to eat someone with. Kanon was shown to be stronger here, seeing how he has less trouble slicing a few goats as compared to just one. I look forward to reading the comments here after the subs come out.

...oh, and honestly to those who keep whining about this adaptation (be it SN players of anime watchers) just drop this and go watch something else.
Aug 20, 2009 6:39 AM

Aug 2009
WOW censoring. LOL ridiculous just to get the DVD for that. I will wait for the subs before I go on but did check the link. Really stupid to censor this show with all that happened.

Aug 20, 2009 6:59 AM

Jan 2009
for VN readers:
ariapokotengAug 20, 2009 7:16 AM
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.
Aug 20, 2009 7:48 AM

Aug 2009
SilentXenocide said:
Belum_Nabum said:
WOW censoring. LOL ridiculous just to get the DVD for that. I will wait for the subs before I go on but did check the link. Really stupid to censor this show with all that happened.
Why do people actually care about the censors that much? Do you really need to see it?

It would have been great to see stuffed bloody cookies and candy inside their bellys :D

Beatrice didn't say that the 6 people died from magic in red O_o didn't that sort of give it away?
porkypinkAug 20, 2009 8:06 AM
[right]

Aug 20, 2009 8:08 AM

Jan 2009
porkypink said:

It would have been great to see stuffed bloody cookies and candy inside their bellys :D

Yeah, and that Beato's taunt in the letter about "parents full with candies" is based on that viewer (and reader, of course) knows, that their guts was removed and replaced with candies.
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.
Aug 20, 2009 9:23 AM

Jul 2008
porkypink said:
SilentXenocide said:
Belum_Nabum said:
Why do people actually care about the censors that much? Do you really need to see it?

Beatrice didn't say that the 6 people died from magic in red O_o didn't that sort of give it away?

Beato can't say "magic is real" or "witches are real", or anything that relates to that in Red. If she did, the game would come to a stalemate because Battler couldn't respond.
Aug 20, 2009 9:28 AM

Jan 2009
GarLogan78 said:

Beato can't say "magic is real" or "witches are real", or anything that relates to that in Red. If she did, the game would come to a stalemate because Battler couldn't respond.

Yes, also she said in VN that saying "witches do exist" in red is like hitting your chess opponent with a chessboard and saying "yeaaah, I won"
ariapokotengAug 20, 2009 9:31 AM
Aug 20, 2009 9:43 AM

Aug 2009
GarLogan78 said:
porkypink said:
SilentXenocide said:
Belum_Nabum said:

thats true
[right]

Aug 20, 2009 11:17 AM

Jun 2008
okay, my question might have been asked a million times already, but I'm tired of VN readers posting about stuff that I have no idea what their talking about.. What is the red text? and I saw someone mention

SigynAug 20, 2009 11:28 AM
- Noblesse Oblige -

And I'm saying a prayer for the desperate heart's tonight

Aug 20, 2009 11:23 AM

Aug 2007
Sigyn said:
okay, my question might have been asked a million times already, but I'm tired of VN readers posting about stuff that I have no idea what their talking about.. What is the red text? and I saw someone mention blue text?

Whatever Beatrice says in red is the truth. As for the
that's in the last question arc so it doesn't matter right now. It was spoilered for a reason y'know.
UBWahAug 20, 2009 11:29 AM
Aug 20, 2009 11:30 AM

Jun 2008

ahh okay thanks for answering :)
oh I kept reading I forgot it was in a spoiler, I edited my post. Seems like there are a lot of things in spoilers it's hard to keep track.
- Noblesse Oblige -

Aug 20, 2009 11:40 AM

Aug 2007
Sigyn said:

oh I kept reading I forgot it was in a spoiler, I edited my post. Seems like there are a lot of things in spoilers it's hard to keep track.

lol that's okay. Besides, sometimes it's tempting to look at spoilers.
Aug 20, 2009 11:47 AM

Jun 2008
Renza said:
Sigyn said:

lol that's okay. Besides, sometimes it's tempting to look at spoilers.

yeah tell me about it, sometimes its frustrating for the non-VN users >.> but I did hear the VN is only so far so maybe.. the anime will eventual catch up :) so we will all be on the same page! It would be nice.. but who knows lol
- Noblesse Oblige -

Aug 20, 2009 11:54 AM
Aug 2009
Actually the most recent VN that came out this last weekend is an arc that won't appear till Umineko's second season. And the next VN comes out right around the time first season ends, so VN readers will still be ahead.
Aug 20, 2009 12:16 PM

Jun 2008
JackFrost said:
Actually the most recent VN that came out this last weekend is an arc that won't appear till Umineko's second season. And the next VN comes out right around the time first season ends, so VN readers will still be ahead.

ugh, it's that far ahead.. yeah we'll never catch up :( oh well I'm enjoying the anime :) that's all that matters

Thanks for the info
- Noblesse Oblige -

Aug 20, 2009 1:24 PM

Sep 2008
i wonder if the subs will be out today...
Aug 20, 2009 3:26 PM

Jun 2007
This episode disappointed me. I figured the reason that DEEN was rushing through the previous scenes was so that they would have time to do the meta battles well. But I felt that this episodes emphasis was on the Kanon fight and not the meta battle, which I think is wrong. It just felt like it had none of the impact that it should have.

With that aside the rest of the episode was decent. I have no problems with the censorship, and the Kanon fight scene managed to be pretty dramatic even with me knowing what was going to happen. I just wish they didn't have to sacrifice the meta battle for it.
Aug 20, 2009 3:30 PM

Jun 2007
Wattson said:
This episode disappointed me. I figured the reason that DEEN was rushing through the previous scenes was so that they would have time to do the meta battles well. But I felt that this episodes emphasis was on the Kanon fight and not the meta battle, which I think is wrong. It just felt like it had none of the impact that it should have.

With that aside the rest of the episode was decent. I have no problems with the censorship, and the Kanon fight scene managed to be pretty dramatic even with me knowing what was going to happen. I just wish they didn't have to sacrifice the meta battle for it.

Yeah. The meta scenes are what makes Umineko. Shortening them for other scenes is not good. Let's hope the meta scenes in the next episode have a lot more screen time.
Aug 20, 2009 4:10 PM

Jan 2009
Lol, don't fuck with mad rabbits. Fighting between Kanon and Beatrice's furnitures was pretty well done. Somehow even it was a bit exciting. :del And I like when randomly Beatrice and Battler appears to solve the mystery who was right, magic or = anti magic. Anyway, once again great episode imo. I just wish episodes would be longer, somehow ~23 minutes isn't enough. Always when episode ends I want more. ;-; Well, its really pain in the ass to wait week for new episode. Especially when its your favorite anime of season.
Aug 20, 2009 4:26 PM
Mar 2009
I noticed us VN readers are the ones moping and groping on this episode, while the anime only watchers are the ones that enjoyed the episode a lot.

*sigh* Maybe the VN shouldn't have been translated until the anime was over. Maybe then we wouldn't be so nitpicky.
HaiShangAug 20, 2009 4:43 PM
Aug 20, 2009 4:54 PM

Apr 2009
Man my head hurts after this one, but can't wait for the conclusion
I am the light and the darkness tossed away by fate.
I am hope and despair needed by all and to none.
I am CuresDestiny.
Fear me or Not it is all the same to me.
<insert maniacal laughter here>

Aug 20, 2009 4:57 PM

Sep 2007
PsychFreak said:
I noticed us VN readers are the ones moping and groping on this episode, while the anime only watchers are the ones that enjoyed the episode a lot.

All the episodes that the VN readers liked the Anime watchers didn't and all the episodes that he Anime watchers liked the VN readers didn't. Hahahahaha.
Aug 20, 2009 5:08 PM

Dec 2008
Lazer swords, light sabers.

Star Wars.
Aug 20, 2009 5:50 PM

Aug 2007
Zedrane said:
PsychFreak said:

All the episodes that the VN readers liked the Anime watchers didn't and all the episodes that he Anime watchers liked the VN readers didn't. Hahahahaha.

Oh the irony :/
Aug 20, 2009 5:57 PM

Nov 2007
WHAT is going on?
Aug 20, 2009 6:31 PM

Apr 2009
It seems that evertime Kanon dies its awesomely.
I was a little suprised when the sword thingy came out of his hand.. haha.
Im liking this so far. :)
Aug 20, 2009 6:36 PM

Jun 2007
Things to think about.

if Kanon had the power to use a magic sword like that, then why didn't he do it in the first arc? He was by himself confronting Beatrice and he used a billhook instead.

If the culprit for the first twilight was the witch Beatrice then why would she have to go through the trouble of retrieving the key from Maria? She could just use magic to open the lock.
Aug 20, 2009 6:48 PM

Feb 2009
entertaining epd, kanon is awesome!
Aug 20, 2009 7:14 PM

Jul 2008
lolz @ flying red text and the censoring
Aug 20, 2009 7:16 PM

Jun 2008
SakuraForever said:

My thoughts exactly! I really enjoyed this episode, but I'm not hard to please. I loved how Kanon kicked some butt with that arm weapon (though I'm not so sure if that was actually real..) The scene with him and Jessica was AWESOME! I loved how she wanted to know his real name.. I'm wondering that same thing!!!
I finally get to see the red text and I'm glad it explained it even though I heard about it from another user. I was confused because everyone keeps talking about it but I didn't see the episode yet. The screaming was a good touch and I know they censored the "blood" but to tell you the truth, I'm kinda glad :)
I must not be up to par with the rest of you because I enjoy when battler goes over theories because I'm clueless when it comes to solving them so when he throws his idea's out it gives me the chance to figure it out too.
Next weeks episode doesn't look like it will be very interesting.. but I'm keeping my hopes up :)
- Noblesse Oblige -

Aug 20, 2009 7:16 PM

Feb 2008
I'm not enjoying this as much as I was at the very beginning of the series. I suppose I'm just riding the series now to see a conclusion. I don't like any of the characters besides perhaps Battler. That might have been the creators intention as I guess everyone else is just a playing piece and easily disposable. The killings aren't shocking anymore, giggling Maria who no one punishes is infuriating. When is someone going to pop a cap in that little girls--

Anyways, censorship was funny. We can stare at mutilated faces and sharp objects lodged in someones skull but candy stuffed tummies is unacceptable?

Alright.
Aug 20, 2009 7:24 PM

Apr 2009
LOLZIEST CENSORSHIP EVER. I don't even... Lol. whut. XD

I won't lie, there were some tears welling up at Jessica and Kanon there at the end. Can't say for sure since I haven't read the VN, but as a new-comer, that scene seemed like it was really well done.
Aug 20, 2009 7:27 PM

Jun 2007
Sigyn said:
SakuraForever said:

My thoughts exactly! I really enjoyed this episode, but I'm not hard to please. I loved how Kanon kicked some butt with that arm weapon (though I'm not so sure if that was actually real..) The scene with him and Jessica was AWESOME! I loved how she wanted to know his real name.. I'm wondering that same thing!!!
I finally get to see the red text and I'm glad it explained it even though I heard about it from another user. I was confused because everyone keeps talking about it but I didn't see the episode yet. The screaming was a good touch and I know they censored the "blood" but to tell you the truth, I'm kinda glad :)
I must not be up to par with the rest of you because I enjoy when battler goes over theories because I'm clueless when it comes to solving them so when he throws his idea's out it gives me the chance to figure it out too.
Next weeks episode doesn't look like it will be very interesting.. but I'm keeping my hopes up :)

The preview for 9 looks uneventful but there's a lot of great scenes coming up.
Aug 20, 2009 7:33 PM

Apr 2009
Censorship ^_^;
I'm a bit confused. I think I need to go read the VN.
Aug 20, 2009 7:36 PM

Jun 2007
stickymochi said:
Censorship ^_^;
I'm a bit confused. I think I need to go read the VN.

If you're confused, I can answer questions if you want.

But many you ask will probably be unknown.
Aug 20, 2009 7:42 PM

Jun 2008
MarthX said:

The preview for 9 looks uneventful but there's a lot of great scenes coming up.

That's what I'm hoping for!! I know I've read that there should be some good stuff coming, so I'm patiently waiting :) But it's not like I'm not enjoying the show, I really do like it for the mystery,confusion,relationships, and even Maria... lol I'm looking forward to seeing how it will turn out and what could be next!
- Noblesse Oblige -

Aug 20, 2009 7:45 PM

Jun 2007
It's funny. The episode 8 preview was very spoilerific with showing the goats and Asm and the episode 9 preview shows nothing. Not very consistent.
Aug 20, 2009 8:16 PM

Aug 2009
MarthX said:
It's funny. The episode 8 preview was very spoilerific with showing the goats and Asm and the episode 9 preview shows nothing. Not very consistent.

That might mean the anime isn't really gunna be focusing on the sword fighting ( or however its called ) and goats. So as you were saying there mayb something very big coming up that they don't want to show :)
[right]

Aug 20, 2009 8:42 PM

Aug 2008
I'd like to see Maria get punched/slapped every single time she laughs, goes uu~ uu~ or makes a creepy smile. I think I would rate it up a point just for that because it's incredibly annoying.
Aug 20, 2009 9:17 PM
Apr 2009
porkypink said:
MarthX said:

That might mean the anime isn't really gunna be focusing on the sword fighting ( or however its called ) and goats. So as you were saying there mayb something very big coming up that they don't want to show :)

There IS something big coming up, and the goats, kanon and * are only part of it.
Aug 20, 2009 10:20 PM
Feb 2009
Why? WHY? WHY WOULD THEY CENSOR IT?! I've been looking forward to that scene since before the anime even started.
Aug 20, 2009 10:43 PM

Aug 2008
Wow.
I think my brain is officially turned off now. I just can't really bother to take the show seriously at all while I'm watching it. We've now crossed into Chaos;Head levels of absurdity, and to think about the conclusion seems like a waste of time. Part of me wants to think about the meta world, but these game boards just really take me out of it. Kanon pulling a light sword out of thin air to fight stakes named after the seven deadly sins and goat people was ridiculous. The thought that I would care about Jessica and Kanon's deaths because I saw one episode centered on their lame lives is even more ridiculous.

On the plus side, the meta world scene was at least interesting. Red text is lame, but a good way to add a little bit of depth. Problem is (and maybe I'm not getting the way it works) that there are some important things that she isn't saying that isn't in red (most have escaped my mind and I don't really care to go back), but ultimately, since Battler is trying to say that the murders were pulled off by extra people on the island, I guess none of those things prove what he is going for. Oh yeah, and the use of the word "furniture" between Beatrice and Kanon was interesting. Almost like it's a euphemism for something else.

Overall though, because the second twilight was so jarringly bad, I hated the episode.
Aug 20, 2009 10:44 PM

Jan 2009
The censorship was pretty erratic. When they showed the scene again and during Metaworld parts, some of it was uncensored, sometimes even all of it... Oh well, that's the tv station's fault.
Aug 20, 2009 10:48 PM
Mar 2009
noteDhero said:
Wow.
I think my brain is officially turned off now. I just can't really bother to take the show seriously at all while I'm watching it. We've now crossed into Chaos;Head levels of absurdity, and to think about the conclusion seems like a waste of time. Part of me wants to think about the meta world, but these game boards just really take me out of it. Kanon pulling a light sword out of thin air to fight stakes named after the seven deadly sins and goat people was ridiculous. The thought that I would care about Jessica and Kanon's deaths because I saw one episode centered on their lame lives is even more ridiculous.

On the plus side, the meta world scene was at least interesting. Red text is lame, but a good way to add a little bit of depth. Problem is (and maybe I'm not getting the way it works) that there are some important things that she isn't saying that isn't in red (most have escaped my mind and I don't really care to go back), but ultimately, since Battler is trying to say that the murders were pulled off by extra people on the island, I guess none of those things prove what he is going for. Oh yeah, and the use of the word "furniture" between Beatrice and Kanon was interesting. Almost like it's a euphemism for something else.

Overall though, because the second twilight was so jarringly bad, I hated the episode.

If you thought those parts were bad, it's only gonna get more ridiculous from here. I suggest you stop watching because it's not gonna get any better for you.

If you are truly interested in the meta world though and their little discussions it'll get better.
Aug 20, 2009 11:13 PM

Aug 2008
It was very bad. VERY BAD. And I'm not going to complain because of the novel (the anime is following the source material very well, until they change events like who dies and when it will be fine for me). I can understand the fast pacing, but I can't understand how flat the characters are! It's amazing yet unbelievable that Deen managed to screw the main characters in this way. They are uninteresting, flat, idiots! Every single dialogue makes little sense to none and every important discussion is about 30 seconds long (the first meta-world battle resolved with a bunch of red-text lines and the idiotic Battler's claim? Is Beatrice what, a recorder? Because sure she has the charisma of a table).

No wonders that a lot of people dislike this anime. I am a huge fanboy of the franchise but this is too much, even for me.

Sorry for the rage (and for the bad english) guys.
Aug 20, 2009 11:29 PM

Jul 2008
good ep i like what battler said about the envelope genius but wat happen to kanon's body eh?

5/5
Aug 21, 2009 12:16 AM
Aug 2009
noteDhero said:
Wow.

On the plus side, the meta world scene was at least interesting. Red text is lame, but a good way to add a little bit of depth.

Ultimately, the meta-world scenes are the real focus of the series and where you should be paying attention as far as the mystery is concerned- although I'm hoping they make Beatrice and Battler's later red text duels more interesting because the atmosphere of the one in this episode was a bit bland compared to its VN counterpart.

However, the board games are just going to get more ridiculous as far as Beatrice is concerned, as that is her way of "proving" that magic exists- by stretching your suspension of disbelief. And they are for the most part consistent with her red text unless later disproven. If you really dislike this aspect of the series, I don't really know what else to say, because it's just going to get much worse from here on out. Most of the magic scenes can be taken as some kind of metaphor for what really is happening if you're on the anti-fantasy side of things, but really, they are meant to be over-the-top and ridiculous.

noteDhero said:
Problem is (and maybe I'm not getting the way it works) that there are some important things that she isn't saying that isn't in red (most have escaped my mind and I don't really care to go back), but ultimately, since Battler is trying to say that the murders were pulled off by extra people on the island, I guess none of those things prove what he is going for. Oh yeah, and the use of the word "furniture" between Beatrice and Kanon was interesting. Almost like it's a euphemism for something else.

It's important to pay attention to what Beatrice isn't saying in red in addition to what she is, although I'm not sure which line you're referring to in this case. If you're referring to the line about not bearing the responsibility of bearing proof, that pretty much holds true for all future debates between the two. And yeah, the matter of whether or not X people outside of the 18 exist will be explicitly addressed in the future.

Regarding furniture, the fantasy interpretation of it is that Kanon is some kind of artificial human/whatever made by Kinzo, and is equivalent to what the goat servants and the stakes are to Beatrice (generally all witches have their own furniture). The mystery interpretation of it is still open, but could be taken as some sort of demeaning term for him as a servant. Or whichever.
Aug 21, 2009 12:32 AM

Apr 2007
this is the most ridiculous shit I've ever watched
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.