Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2009 2:45 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
WHAO. whaoo!! what was that??! I wasnt like an acid trip. it was more like a mind-blowingly leap into a sociopath's dream world. blew my mind away with its surreal weird-ism. what was tht thing which just hit my brain repeatedly?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2009 12:01 PM

Jan 2009
I've seen some seriously WEIRD stuff, but this one beats them all.

Mind-blowing no doubts what so ever.
It gave me some laughs along the way, but for some reason I didn't like it as much as Cat Soup or even Kaiba, just to mention a few.

Jul 3, 2009 9:13 AM
Dec 2008
mindblowingly incredible, less than half an hour yet when it finished it felt like i had just absorbed a monumental full length film. highly recommended.
Dec 2, 2009 5:54 AM

Nov 2008
This was seriously messed up, yo.
Dec 14, 2009 1:12 AM
May 2008
Prayermad said:
mindblowingly incredible, less than half an hour yet when it finished it felt like i had just absorbed a monumental full length film.

Wow, are we talking about the same Eternal Family?

2001: A Space Odyssey is "mindblowingly incredible", a "monumental full length film". This Eternal Family is a bizarre half-hour of animation with the most disheveled character designs, grotesque artwork, and a flimsy story, with the main point being "the ugliness that Man will go to, to entertain their fellow Man" or something, I'm sure.

I give it credit for its courage to use a flushing toilet to transition between scenes, and portraying its message in such a visually demonstrative style, though. But for the most part, this is a really jumbled mess that is frustrating to watch.

Dec 14, 2009 6:15 AM
Dec 2008
scherzo said:

2001: A Space Odyssey is "mindblowingly incredible", a "monumental full length film". This Eternal Family is a bizarre half-hour of animation with the most disheveled character designs, grotesque artwork, and a flimsy story, with the main point being "the ugliness that Man will go to, to entertain their fellow Man" or something, I'm sure. .

you're making a bizarre comparison here. i happen to love it for the traits you described. i was in stitches throughout all of eternal family, tbh. also, i dont think it was tyring to make any kind of point, at least not THAT point. eternal family is a jumbled mess that is pure joy to watch!
Aug 9, 2010 3:54 AM

Feb 2009
Seriously guys, this is why you shouldn't take drugs!

Crazy, crazy work from Studio 4ºC, entertaining, but I'd pick Noiseman Sound Insect over this ^^
Oct 14, 2010 7:29 AM

Feb 2010
Weird, crazy, but I somehow like it. The beginning was a bit too long(the scenes with the toilet flushes), but after that time passed very fast.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 24, 2014 3:23 AM

Oct 2013
I've seen some weird shit but this takes the cake
[/quote]
Jun 24, 2014 5:40 PM

Aug 2013
The "mother-son" bond between A-Ko and Sasuke was nice. :)
Jun 28, 2014 4:34 PM

Apr 2009
Lots of toilet flushing, it had some moments. I think some discerning individuals might see some social relevance to it like some case study of the impact of reality TV families or something but I will digress. Anyway it was just passable as an entertainment for half an hour for me. 5/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 15, 2017 9:23 AM

Dec 2015
Drawings and animation-wise, it was irreproachable.
It surely had an interesting speech, but that was drowned (no wordplay with the eyecatch) in a fast random montage of several vignettes in the first half.

Enjoyment: 3/5
Score: 7/10 Too bad the first 10-15mn were somewhat lost, just a few less vignettes and a bit more reflexion/ denouncement would have made this a great thing to watch.

PS: of course. I expected the usual drugs comparisons on this page.
Sep 6, 2018 3:56 PM

Oct 2015
That chicken was the toughest bastard of all, I loved him and the va did great justice to him. I wonder where did the rest of the so called family went, when Ben went to look for them? Everything was wacky about that family including the dog and the baby, but they had some moments like with Sasuke and the mother (that was touching).

It reminded me of the trueman show but wackier. 7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 3, 2020 7:01 PM

Dec 2014
manic and random, yet somehow extremely dull. possibly the longest 25 minutes of my life.

the animation was honestly pretty fluid and impressive throughout (which is standard for most works by kouji morimoto), however the art style itself was unappealing - uninspired character designs and possibly the muddiest colour palettes i've ever seen.

i'll always have a deep appreciation for "weird" anime, but this whole thing somehow managed to leave me kinda nauseous. interesting concept, though.
Jun 21, 2020 11:17 PM

Feb 2015
While this did red line the weird-shit-ometer, the second half was a little more coherent than the first and was a somewhat more entertaining. The flushing toilet every few seconds got old rather fast.
Aug 16, 2020 8:45 PM

Jan 2017
I watched this because I saw it in someone's favorites list so I think I started with my expectations too high. I appreciated the fact that they did away with the toilet flushing transition by the second half.
Nov 14, 2020 8:09 PM

Dec 2012
Surprisingly great
I like how it had a genuine plot to go with its seeming stream-of-consciousness imagery, which somehow manages to all be credible in world.
Very impressed.
Jul 3, 2021 11:00 PM

Nov 2012
Up there among the weirdest shit I've seen in anime, no clue how to score it.
Jul 13, 2021 2:22 AM
Jul 2018
That was extremely weird and random. First part was really lengthy and boring with the multiple shots of the "day-to-day" scenes and the excessive toilet flushing. Second part was the most intense and just completely random and then third short part was just there. The animation and the design sense was wacky. It would have been better if they trimmed the first part, few minutes short.
May 7, 2022 12:59 PM

Jan 2021
I kinda enjoyed this even though it was more different than I expected. I really liked the characters and their designs. The first part was a bit confusing/iffy for me but the rest was pretty entertaining and I would love to see more!
Jul 7, 2022 7:04 AM

Jul 2011
I don't really know what to say about it. It's just too weird.

The first third was just random "comedy" sketchs between toilet flushes but even when the "plot" started, it still remained weird and confusing and it ends at a point where nothing is resolved.

It's so weird it wasn't boring at all but I can't really say it was good either.
It's just something that exists.
Aug 9, 2022 11:23 AM

Apr 2019
Really cool. I'll give it a 7.5/10, it's better than your averenge pretentious short
Mar 28, 4:14 PM

Aug 2017
It was weird, had some funny moments, too bad Akiko didn't meet her darling, overall it was fine so I'll give it a 6.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.