Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 19, 2022 12:40 PM

Jan 2013
she do be delivering da goodz.
Mar 24, 2022 1:16 PM

Feb 2021
That was actually pretty good. My biggest complaint is the side characters aren't that explored but everything else was solid. +1 for Miyazaki
Jun 11, 2022 12:47 AM

Jan 2021
Just watched this again for the first time in 20 years. It was better than I remember, but I thought the ending was a little too "Hollywood" with the dramatic action sequence and rescue. Up until then it had been a quiet chill movie and then suddenly shifted tone. The theme seems to be about her growing up, but she didn't really grow as a person. She lost her powers and instead of working hard to get them back she just... got them back all at once because of the emergency. I guess it felt rushed because I'm used to characters doing a training montage or something to overcome their problem and she just kinda skipped over that. That artist girl tried giving her advice right before but it didn't seem to apply, or I just misread it? She basically just said "don't worry about it'll come back on its own", and yeah it did, but I feel in most stories the character would've had to work to achieve that but Kiki didn't. Though it was funny to see the little girl in the end credits in a Kiki costume, like now she's the town hero and celebrity.

It makes me wonder how much of this movie is original material and how much is based on the book. Just looking at the Wikipedia article and comparing chapters it seems only the cat toy delivery is the same, though maybe it's not a full list. It mentions stuff like fixing the clock tower, taking a delivery out to a ship at sea, recovering her stolen broom, etc. Just seems like this a very loose adaptation with mostly original content, but that's fine.
Jul 16, 2022 4:25 AM
Nov 2020
8/10!! Just didn't feel much progress but I loved the climax, it was sweet and realistic in a way where it shows how you can sometimes lose spirit on something you love doing but you can always find inspiration and get back on track
Jul 25, 2022 9:47 PM
Sep 2020
Definitely one of the best anime movies ever. The subtlety with which it develops themes such as not belonging, finding a place to call home and coming of age is just astounding.
Aug 20, 2022 9:16 PM
Dec 2021
Watched the English dub two weeks ago as part as Ghibli Fest, though I would've like to watch the original Japanese version with subtitles, just to poke on seiyuu jokes on characters Minami Takayama would later eventually voice years later like Conan Edogawa in Detective Conan, Dark Pretty in Heartcatch Pretty Cure and Pit from the Kid Icarus series.
Anyways, this is the greatest witch of all time.
Nov 13, 2022 4:20 PM

Jul 2014
Such a cute coming of age movie, made me happy and that's what counts :) (as usual, the animation is splendid, so many drawings that looked like they had to be made with cgi but there's no way, so detailed...)
Nov 22, 2022 10:30 PM
May 2022
The ending was a bit too sudden but overall pretty good, 4/5
Feb 13, 2023 8:23 AM
Dec 2019
poart auf jag älsk dette úber krisen uno zinko
Mar 22, 2023 7:01 AM

Dec 2020
Felt like watching 1 episode of anime and realize it's a movie, there's no episode 2 and got sadge.
Mar 29, 2023 9:28 PM

Sep 2020
Watched this on blu-ray finally (making it the 3rd time overall watch).

This was my 1st Ghibli movie and held the throne as my favorite one for quite some time. Still as magical and heartwarming as ever! 10/10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Jun 24, 2023 2:39 PM
Jul 2020
Kiki's my main girl no cap, better service than Amazon.
Jul 15, 2023 7:23 AM
Jul 2023
my fave ghibli film!
Jul 16, 2023 9:28 PM
Apr 2016
Liked it, it was good.
Nov 2, 2023 10:58 AM

Aug 2022
Really hearwarming and cute. Loved everything about this film.
Dec 30, 2023 4:24 AM
Dec 2023
I mighty be blinded by nostalgia since this is the first ever Studio Ghibli movie i watched but this is an actual masterpiece. It is a fun story, with interesting and compelling characters, But underneath this is social commentary whether intentional or not i do not know. But the journey Kiki goes through in the movie is a impactful one that many will most likely relate too in some way shape or form.
Jan 6, 6:59 PM

May 2014
A great movie. What a cute, humble little witch. Jiji was quite funny. Acting like a grumpy old man. Very fitting name.
Jan 6, 7:03 PM

May 2014
Reply to TehWhiteTiger
I actually really love this movie (despite the fact it is probably mostly aimed at young girls and I am a guy in my 20s). It is just a really happy, enjoyable film all around, and is probably one of if not my favourite Studio Ghibli film.

I have watched both the dub and sub and liked them both. I actually liked Jiji's voice for some odd reason xD.

I know there is some controversy over some early dub edits, namely Jiji speaking at the end when Miyazaki never intended it to be that way, but I actually preferred the way the dub ended, if for no other reason than it was happier. I think the whole message of her becoming mature that Miyazaki was trying to get across with making Kiki lose the ability to speak with Jiji was clear enough without it.

In fact I enjoyed this movie enough to research the original book, which I found had been translated several years back. Turns out istis rather rare and expensive but I was lucky and found a 2nd hand library copy for ยฃ5-ยฃ10.

The book is for those interested a far more basic story (not that the movie was complex, the simplicity is part of why I like it :P). The book starts off in the same way as the movie, and many of her adventures are the same or similar, but whereas the movie goes off into the story of her losing her powers, the book merely follows her adventures from start to end. She never loses her powers and always has the ability to speak to Jiji (The book says a witch and her cat stay together until she finds a partner, at which time they go off to live their own lives separably). Although the end message is more or less the same in just showing how Kiki has grown up and matured over the time of her journey.

The movie shows how she has grown through her regaining her powers etc and losing her ability to talk to Jiji is suppose to symbolize it too. The book simply ends with her visiting her mother, who Kiki realizes she eagerly wants to here her praise and she tells her she has matured a lot. She then, satisfied that she had matured and choosing to become a witch was the right choice, despite being home only a few days is eager to return, and the book finishes as she makes her way back to 'her town'.

The movie takes the general idea and puts more emphasis on the characters and specific elements of Kiki's journey, whereas the book had far less focus on any single characters other than Kiki or Jiji (Tombo had far less importance in the book for example). Only a few of the adventures in the book were used in the movie, but they were expanded and given more impact to the overall story.

I think the movie was overall very good and I would choose it over the original book. However when people debate about the dub edits, keep in mind that Miyazaki changed the story from the book far more than those changes in the dub.
@TehWhiteTiger I am a man almost in my 30s and I enjoyed it quite much. Age and gender should not determine how good a movie can be. A
Jan 22, 9:39 PM
Mar 2023
Foi o primeiro filme do Estúdio Ghibli que assisti, tenho orgulho que tenha sido esse filme. É muito recomendado para quem nunca assistiu e para quem já assistiu deve saber que é um bom filme para ser a introdução aos filmes do Estúdio Ghibli por ser leve e de fácil entendimento. Um abraço a todos. <3
Feb 18, 6:42 PM

Apr 2013
Wait, is she not able to hear the cat anymore?

.·:*¨ ๐•พ๐–Š๐–™ ๐•ธ๐–Š ๐•ฑ๐–—๐–Š๐–Š - ๐•ต๐–Š๐–˜๐–˜๐–Ž๐–ˆ๐–† ๐•ต๐–š๐–“๐–Œ ¨*:·. ๐“†ฉโ™ก๐“†ช
๐Ÿฌ:๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿฑ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ใ…‡โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ ๐Ÿฏ:๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฒ
โ†บ¹ |โ— โ–ถ โ–ท| โ‹ฎ≡
Mar 4, 3:55 PM
Sep 2019
Heartbreakingly great
Mar 11, 11:18 PM

Jun 2021
Really nice movie especially the starting and ending are great.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

Mar 14, 10:09 PM

Dec 2022
Ursula carried this movie hard despite having very little screentime. made me understand why they chose the name Ursula for Little Witch Academia
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Have you grown up watching Ghibli movies?

Reckless_weeb - Jun 12, 2022

32 by Zombunny343 »»
Aug 28, 2022 1:57 PM

» Moral of the story?

QueenModdy - Jun 13, 2011

8 by HibiChika »»
Jan 19, 2022 12:44 PM

» About the cat.

Sonata - Mar 28, 2016

8 by Rob7 »»
Apr 21, 2021 5:02 PM

» Kiki's Delivery Service ---> Amazon Drone Delivery

J_LEE_C - Mar 29, 2018

13 by LIQfilms »»
Mar 30, 2018 1:02 PM

» Looking for subbed?

Godel - Jul 16, 2008

8 by Setsuna200 »»
Dec 28, 2012 6:20 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.