Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 26, 2015 12:01 PM

Mar 2010
The panty episode and the hollywood ones were really good, rest was kind of meh.
Arumi is kind of waifu material, but I'll pass.

That's some signature, eh?
Jun 27, 2015 7:26 AM

Jul 2014
Not only was that ending weird, it pretty much went against the main theme of the anime--living in the real world.
Jul 2, 2015 9:38 PM
Jul 2015
Why couldn't they follow Pokemon 3's example on how to end the series? Molly lost both her parents and created a world for herself but eventually had to face reality and did. Sashi was afraid to lose his childhood friend and old life so he, unintentionally, creates an illusion and brings her along. They have many great times together just trying to get home, he learns it's his fault they're stuck there, learns of her grandpa's death, tries to keep her from finding out but she does, they're about to head home and then..........he suddenly pulls a Deux Ex Machina and rewrites the past so he doesn't lose anybody/anything he loves. Uh, what the fuck?

Such a great show. Great premise, great writing, great jokes, surprisingly great drama, and the voice-acting was actually really good for an ADV dub. What happened? My guess is Executive Meddling. Regardless of the ass-pull, it didn't kill the show for me. The ending may have been bad but, trust me, it could've been much worse.

I give it an 8.5
Aug 20, 2015 10:54 AM
Dec 2011
i love this story and i loved the ending too... shashshi and arumi both learned the truth about grandpa masa then they tried their best to avoid that bad accident. the thing is if they came a little early grandpa wouldn't have fallen and that's what happen!

"the truth is if you have enough power,you will do absolutely everything to save the people you love" this is human nature :3 and that's what shashshi did just turn reality back by 5 seconds that's all :3 i love this story so much the ending was beautiful :3
Jan 3, 2016 6:33 AM

Jan 2013
Watched this series again... it's been a good while.
Should've released that OVA by now, wrap it up nicely.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Feb 3, 2016 4:39 PM

Oct 2012
eh?
why does everyone hate this ending?
I liked it. The whole point of the show is a coming-of-age story for Sasshi.
Plus, he confessed so I don't see any issues.
Sure everything is happily ever after, but this isn't supposed to be some grimdark story, it's a fun lighthearted comedy. It's probably one of the nicest endings Gainax ever gave to a show, honestly.
Mar 3, 2016 8:56 AM

Nov 2011
duuuuuuuude wtf happened
who the fuck is yasuchika mang
May 24, 2016 10:53 PM

May 2015
This ending was terrible, it goes against the entire premise of the show. The writers could have made something cerebral and poignant. Big let down.
Jul 13, 2016 7:58 AM
Mar 2013
Several of you seem to have misunderstood the ending.

1. It is clearly established at the end that Onmyoudo isn't able to change the past or in fact much of present reality.

2. Everyone keeps calling Sasshi a kid.

3. Sasshi starts to take Arumi back home, then changes his mind and instead demands the power to take her to a different reality.

4. When they return home, not only is Masayoshi alive and well, Mune Mune and Abe no Seimei appear as completely different people with an apparent happy ending set up. Arumi's move to Hokkaido is aborted, and Abenobashi is suddenly marked for redevelopment rather than destruction.

5. A couple of episodes earlier, Abe no Seimi talked about how an accomplished onmyouji is able to open gateways to realistic worlds rather than the disordered worlds of Sasshi's child's imagination.

6. There is a surprise next episode preview that doesn't actually lead to a 14th episode.

In other words, Sasshi has taken them to yet another fantasy world. This is one so well-crafted that it appears to be the real world (courtesy of his adult powers), but it is a false reality that completely fulfills all of Sasshi's wishes. Throughout the anime, he has continually rejected Masayohi's death, Arumi's move, Abenobashi's demise, and Mune's lifelong regret. These have all been resolved in simplistic, not-quite-likely ways - ways a child would dream up.

And of course that last next episode preview is a big fat clue that their misadventures have not come to an end: that preview tells us that they still haven't returned to the real world. It's *not* indication that Gainax was planning a 14th episode that hasn't materialized.

So yea, it's not a cop-out ending but a rather depressing one. The real world is still as harsh as always and its problems can't be solved with convenient magic. Sasshi is still a child and has chosen to continue escaping from reality - he has failed to grow up despite all he has gone through. There will still be a reckoning for his choices at some point in the future.

I'm going to go watch something lighthearted now.
Jan 21, 2017 4:31 PM
Apr 2014
Does any one know the romantic song that played around 14 minutes into the episode during the scene when Mune-Mune is smoking from a pipe?
Dec 24, 2017 11:20 PM

Jan 2017
I really thought I had misjudged the show towards the end there with the dad telling them to accept reality and Arumi talking about her dreams. I had hope for the show, but it started to shit itself around the end there and left nothing but a huge disappointment. Was going to be a 6 or 5 out of 10, but after that ending, I’m giving it a 4/10
Mar 27, 2018 10:57 AM

Dec 2017
Fantastic show. The ending left me hungry though. If you want things done properly, do them yourself right? So Sashi who, by the way, is a legendary onmyouji SURPRISE! , makes his own reality where his friend and him can be happy. I get it. Losing someone like that is painful but I thought Arumi had matured the most out of both of them and was ready to face grandpa's death. But Sashi who felt useless after being treated like a baby by the adults, decided to overlook that and just straight up give them a happy ending. So are they living in reality or not? Is the adult onmyouji Sashi awake in there? Will he remember everything they went through? Does he feel guilty about his decision? Does his father know what he did? Will Arumi ever know?
I still laughed my ass off at this series and I was in awe by the creativity in every episode! I'll give it an 8, I didn't have high hopes for the ending anyway.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2018 6:37 AM

Mar 2016
I still can't believe this kid gets turned on by his young grandma's body. I thought the idea teased in that flashback episode, about feeling apart from the world, was really interesting and wanted to see that tied in to the Oni stuff a little bit more, if that was a legitimate connection to make or that was just me. I thought the ending felt weak, but it wasn't for any story reason.
syncrogazerApr 13, 2018 6:45 AM
Oct 16, 2018 10:53 AM

Sep 2014
I'm honestly quite baffled that most seem to take this ending as an asspull deus ex machina that somehow ruins the show. I would interpret it in a different way.

At the last minute, Sasshi is still throwing a tantrum about wanting adult powers and making Arumi happy. He did not grow up and accept that he's powerless. The super happy face seeing Masa-jii alive (which doesn't make sense if that were a new reality with changed past), him saying Arumi's quote, Mune-mune making appearance and finally the preview after a final epiosde (that fact is emphasized and questioned, so it's not really a preview of a cancelled episode or anything like that) leads me to believe it's yet another of Sasshi's dream worlds and he's still running away refusing to face reality. He just did not grow up yet. It's not his time.

I think there's enough evidence to support this (otherwise multiple things don't make sense, especially the preview) and with Gainax making multiple shows where the kid grows up and accepts the world before, a change like that is something nice. The stupidly convenient changes to every problem (masabou's death, arumi moving out, abeno being demolished, Mune's regret) are exactly what a grade schooler Sasshi would come up with. It's what HE wanted, not the creators asspulling a happy ending. More of an open ending, where he created a more realistic world, not a total child-fantasy, but ultimately still a dream. Another step of his way to adulthood. Will he grow up for real?

I don't buy the 'lazy writing' bullshit one bit. All the writing was already done. Making the ending you all wanted (the more obvious one, considering past creations) wouldn't be any harder. The idea that they somehow 'copped out' after laying all the necessary to put in an 'everyone is happy alive and together' is too stupid to believe, especially considering the studio's past.
ImaishiOct 16, 2018 11:19 AM
Dec 25, 2018 3:25 PM

Nov 2018
Another show where comedy fails to entertain. It wound up being confusing and hard to follow.
Jan 28, 2019 2:29 PM

Mar 2017
Mostly okay with a few standout moments. Probably one of the more disappointing ginax anime imo.
Feb 12, 2019 4:34 PM

Jun 2015
Not hard to appreciate many of the elements of the show, but can't help finding the bigger picture underwhelming.

I also can see what they've might tried with the ending, and leaving aside the rather ridiculous explanation of his powers, Sasshi completely denying Arumi's ambitions didn't really click either.
Feb 19, 2019 10:47 PM
Feb 2019
Look, I get it. It was kind of a shitty ending. But wow, with the force of a thousand suns it propelled me to this forum to actually write something about it to get it off my chest.

As someone else said before me, this ending is meant to be ambiguous and leave you to question whether to congratulate saashi for magically changing the real world/or creating a worthy fake replica OR if you should pity and be disgusted with him for not growing up.

The thing I'm wondering about is, what was it about how everyone kept calling Saashi a kid? It was a significant thing they kept bringing up. It got to the point where saashi get fed up and shouted for his adult self to come forth. His father - an adult was kind of portrayed as a temporary antagonist. Mune Mune may have been an adult, but love had turned her into such a child that her ghost became forever trapped in the shopping arcade. The omniomystic guy was Like... an adult dungeon master trying to spread table top gaming to every nerdy single kid he could.

I think ultimately, what the series was trying to say is that ... why does only one version of reality matter? I don't agree with saashi's father. Not one bit. The abenobashi shopping arcade thing is AMAZING. Dear god, it would be great if we had that in real life. Arami was actually annoying, constantly chiming in "Being human, having your health, that's the most important thing." That's like saying: air, sure is good because I can breath it. It's painfully obvious and boring. But in reality people see that as a virtue.

Why isn't extreme dedication to fiction a virtue? To create other worlds? To stretch the imagination? I don't agree with his father at all.

Let Saashi have his reality. People who call him a child are just putting him down for trying on something they gave up on long ago: their imagination. We don't have to live that way. We have imaginations for a reason. Life is hard, yes, nobody denies it. But their are other worlds, nothing wrong with moving to another one as long as you are ok with that.

And furthermore, I never actually questioned this but... why do we have to face our 'demons' all the time? All of them? Every single one? Can we even count that many or are the main big ones only required? Why can't we just stop thinking about them sometimes?

This series has given me a lot to think about.

If it had the typical, boring and predictable ending of:
saashi accepts his grandpa's death and arami moves away.

I would have not been surprised but a little disappointed.

I like this ending better. I do wish they said more of what I'm saying now and not have to make me rant on a forum I'll never visit again.

I feel some closure. Good.
Feb 13, 2020 6:29 AM

Aug 2016
It was a good ending, and it was not a happy one. No idea how people interpret it as such. This was never about the outcome, but about the coping to begin with! But that clearly goes over peoples heads in this discussion.
Apr 16, 2020 9:20 PM

Jan 2009
yep what a shit ending indeed they did not return to their original timeline at all despite the story trying to say to face your reality

but the many worlds interpretation is brought up on previous episodes and Mune(?) is holding to that power of belief to be with Abe/Eutus again and she even taught Sasshi about that power of belief stuff

so maybe the other message is that the power of belief can override reality like how Sasshi completely jump to a new timeline where everyone is happy instead

one of the main theme also is changing fate or destiny (or karmic cycle or simply changing reality) anyway so ye Sasshi with his power change their fate or destiny or reality

"reality is often disappointing but with great power then reality can be whatever i want it to be" - Thanos

Steins;Gate did the same thing lol but we are still disappointed about this gainax show since ye the message to face reality is a great moral lesson for (young) people like the main characters

the animation quality is so bad too except for the Imaishi episodes 3 and 12

but digital animation is still in its infancy during those early year 2000 so thats why the animation quality is bad
May 31, 2020 6:00 PM
Feb 2016
Don't really get the comment posted where the person says that the ending wasn't a cop-out/shit writing because sasshi"wanted it" doesn't realize that sasshi is a fictional character first and foremost and subject to the writers whim's...

This show was such a fucking waste of time. Shitty ending aside,I never really understood why sasshi was the one who had too clean up the mess caused by that blue haired cunt and the selfish redhead granny. This all started because mune cheated on grandpa and instead of taking responsibility for it he just leaves and finds that grandpa committed a murder suicide. This definitely doesn't excuse what grandpa did though,just to be clear

What I'm saying is instead of randomly time traveling and causing even more damage to the reincarnation of those two he could have stayed in his time and made a difference there. The whole time travel stuff was already a redflag to begin with which I don't even want to get in too.

I thought to myself that this show was great and would be better if it had less of those wacky episodes and more plot related episodes,but watching these last two eps made me reconsider it.
Jun 3, 2020 4:39 PM
Mar 2018
At least they showed the cologne dome with it's usual scaffolding in their collage of famous places.

Overall this show had better humour in the beginning and all those different worlds lacked a bit of it and felt dragging on a bit. But that ending was nice and the overall production value seemed good.

I'd give this show an 8/10
Nov 19, 2020 3:00 PM

Aug 2017
One shot during Sasshi's talk with his dad reminded me of the divergence meter from S;G (which came later than Abenobashi of course)

Daigoro ended up in the sketch scene

Abe no Yasuchika is considered a descendant of Abe no Seimei btw. So Sasshi's powers became "real" I guess. After all, Eutus *did* have an impact on reality.

For all Sasshi's complaining, he did a preview after all...in the background (for ep. 12)

So the theme of this Gainax ending is running away from reality....successfully! Now that's unexpected. Did Sasshi manage to create an actual new world? Or was it just another illusion? Why was everyone acting normally then? And did Arumi's memories of their adventures, as well as Masayuki's death, disappear? Anyway, very enjoyable show, one of the best parodies I've seen. By the way, this ep. was storyboarded by Anno. Which is kinda ironic because it subverts the message Anno tries to convey to otaku - "accept reality".

In other words, Sasshi has taken them to yet another fantasy world. This is one so well-crafted that it appears to be the real world (courtesy of his adult powers), but it is a false reality that completely fulfills all of Sasshi's wishes. Throughout the anime, he has continually rejected Masayohi's death, Arumi's move, Abenobashi's demise, and Mune's lifelong regret. These have all been resolved in simplistic, not-quite-likely ways - ways a child would dream up.

Finally a sensible comment amongst all hateposting. Though I also think the idea of Sasshi creating a *real* world is plausible. In any case he's still running away..and if he succeeded in creating a new world, that's fine. This world fulfills everyone's dreams, including Arumi's ones. By the way, did everyone just forget the words of Eutus from ep. 9? Sasshi was supposed to be able to fulfill Arumi's dreams after 20 years of training - well, he grew up with the help of Eutus and changed the world for Arumi. Everything was foreshadowed, people. "You just have to believe", as Mune-Mune would say.

The meaning of the preview is also interesting. Does it imply that the events from ep. 1 (Masa falling) will happen anyway? I guess it's open to interpretation. Still, I appreciate how Arumi realized everything. Maybe it's been like that from the very beginning.

P.S. Turns out Mune-Mune's name literally means "breasts" xD Btw, was she aware of...everything all along? Was she influenced by Sasshi's worlds to act in specific ways but with the same general goal? Also I wish I knew the song that was playing during her dialogue with Sasshi.

P.P.S. I'm actually surprised there was no Daicon reference in the show. Someone like Sayaka or Mune-Mune were perfect candidates for this.

P.P.P.S. Mune-Mune being Sasshi's "little sister" in ep. 4 is hilarious given their actual relationship.
St0rmbladeNov 25, 2020 1:27 PM
Feb 21, 2021 4:38 AM

Apr 2018
I was in the ending-hating bandwagon until I read this thread.
I still think that an Satoshi accepting his reality would have been better, but the current ending also carries a deep meaning.
Mar 19, 2021 3:49 PM
Nov 2010
There's quite a lot to say and think about this show. Visually, it was very fitting to a parody that it mostly presented itself as. Audibly, it was even more so with soundtracks that greatly reminded of some other known soundtracks. However, it was not only a parody, but a sort of a coming of age story with an unhappy ending, where the characters decided to continue refusing to go back to reality. I consider the show to have done what Kuma Miko attempted to do, but in a better, though about just as infuriating way.

My biggest grievance was with how some things just didn't seem plausible, like how the two would actually continue avoiding reality after the ending, because it is actually not possible in this show's world (and making it so would obviously be a change of the setting for plot convenience). When comparing this to Kuma Miko, it is actually the latter that did it better, despite doing pretty much everything else worse. The parody parts were probably a bit too stretched out and too numerous, as well, and it'd have been better if they were a little shorter and if less in number. A lot of the characters were one-note which is not really acceptable considering that these are people that the one creating the worlds and the people in those worlds knew personally, but I understand that it'd be a really hard undertaking for both Sasshi and the creators of this anime, not that the last fantasy world (the one from this last episode) isn't also too difficult for Sasshi to create, too.
Oct 13, 2021 4:44 PM

Jul 2012
eld10 said:
Several of you seem to have misunderstood the ending.

1. It is clearly established at the end that Onmyoudo isn't able to change the past or in fact much of present reality.

2. Everyone keeps calling Sasshi a kid.

3. Sasshi starts to take Arumi back home, then changes his mind and instead demands the power to take her to a different reality.

4. When they return home, not only is Masayoshi alive and well, Mune Mune and Abe no Seimei appear as completely different people with an apparent happy ending set up. Arumi's move to Hokkaido is aborted, and Abenobashi is suddenly marked for redevelopment rather than destruction.

5. A couple of episodes earlier, Abe no Seimi talked about how an accomplished onmyouji is able to open gateways to realistic worlds rather than the disordered worlds of Sasshi's child's imagination.

6. There is a surprise next episode preview that doesn't actually lead to a 14th episode.

And of course that last next episode preview is a big fat clue that their misadventures have not come to an end: that preview tells us that they still haven't returned to the real world. It's *not* indication that Gainax was planning a 14th episode that hasn't materialized.

So yea, it's not a cop-out ending but a rather depressing one. The real world is still as harsh as always and its problems can't be solved with convenient magic. Sasshi is still a child and has chosen to continue escaping from reality - he has failed to grow up despite all he has gone through. There will still be a reckoning for his choices at some point in the future.

I'm going to go watch something lighthearted now.

Thank you, you have perfectly explained the ending. I was really pondering why there's a preview and now it all makes sense perfectly. I was also of the same opinion that this is all an illusion.
Nov 1, 2021 5:56 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I guess that's a happy ending even though it's still an alternate world that Satoshi created? Masa is alive and they're not even moving to Hokkaido... hmm ok xD
Jan 27, 2022 1:27 AM

Apr 2020
Excel Saga + FLCL pretty much.
But imo it's not even close to both of them.
It was still an enjoyable weird mess. 6/10
I like how Karin from Naruto is the shounen version of Mune Mune.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Apr 29, 2022 11:50 AM

Nov 2010
Hmm, in the end they still chose to stay in the imaginary world? I guess Arumi also found reality hard to accept? and since there's a mock preview, I guess it's gonna be an endless loop escaping through various imaginary worlds.

Anyway, this was a interesting and relatable anime for me. This is about refusal to accept drastic changes in life and trying to escape reality. I'd rather live in a false reality as well if given the chance. 8/10
Jun 9, 2022 11:15 PM

Sep 2018
Not too bad, once you've seen one Gainax anime, you've seen them all tbh (only half serious). I agree with the review that gave it a 6/10, the comedy was very hit or miss for me as well and FLCL did it better. Great character duo and a brilliant, but disheartening ending. 7/10.
Jul 7, 2022 4:44 PM
Jun 2012
When I first saw this show I really just took it at face value and didn't give it enough thought to critique the narrative. As I got a little older I realized how badly Sasshi's decision clashed with the show's main theme of having to face reality. While that is true, I kind of think this is the only realistic way that the series could have ended. Let's put aside any themes or lessons on what "should" be done and look at the situation.

From the very beginning of the series, Sasshi has been hit with one gut punch after another. His family moved, he's lost his prized childhood possessions, his town is slowly dying, his best friend is leaving (and doesn't even seem all that upset about it), and Masa's life was in danger. It all builds up a perfectly natural desire to escape from it all, which kicks off the world hopping plot. That plot kept going for several episodes, because of course Sasshi would still not want to return to such misery when he's having so much fun in these different worlds that all contain his favorite things.

Once he learns the truth about Masa, he's thrown into absolute despair, until Eutus gives him the option of becoming an Onmyouji. (Eutus also unknowingly leads him down the wrong path, through A) telling his own story of how he simply created a new world because he didn't like reality, and 2) mentioning offhand that Sasshi could either sit and cry over the situation or do something about it.) Sasshi now has conscious control over what happens next, but he still chooses not to return home yet because SCREW THAT.

Everything comes to a head when everyone around is telling him that he needs to grow up and accept what's happened, and he probably knows that deep down. But think about what that means. He's returning to a world with

- no more fun new worlds
- no more Onmyou powers
- no favorite possessions
- a dying hometown
- no more Arumi
- Masa is DEAD

He would be going back to a world where he's lost EVERYTHING. Regardless, Sasshi makes the right decision anyway. Just then he sees Arumi crying, clearly broken hearted over Masa, and it's the breaking point. Throughout this entire adventure, Sasshi has been berated and called immature and a child, despite his best efforts at becoming an Onmyouji and simply wanting to protect Arumi from the painful truth. If "growing up" means accepting *all* of that - when he now has the power to change it - what twelve year old WOULD choose to?

Accepting the real world was the proper choice. But Sasshi IS a child, for better or worse. He rejects his true world of nothing but loss and pain, and rebels against everyone calling him a child even though he's trying his best and his heart is in the right place. Perhaps if people had been a little more understanding with him about his feelings (which could have happened with Arumi if he had been honest with her earlier), he MAY have been more accepting of everything. But all that built up resentment may have just tipped the scales and led to this ending.

Did the ending subvert our expectations? Yes. Did it feel like a classic Gainax troll ending? Very much so. Was it *realistic*? Totally.
Jan 4, 2023 11:47 AM
Jul 2022
Agreed, i'm here 13 years later with the same feeling, bruh they just fled from reality, so fcking disappointed
Apr 20, 2023 11:09 PM
Nov 2022
the ending is kinda lame and really clashes with the themes the series was building on but it is ultimately realistic. sasshi is following in the steps of eutus by turning to illegitimate magic to reject reality. it's joked that the onmyou mysticism is nonsensical voodoo bullshit multiple times and it's almost like a metaphor for living in delusions. mune talks a little about this nature and how ultimately sasshi, and indirectly eutus, are, at their core, immature. the apple doesn't fall far from the tree i guess. also what keyblader mentioned that the reality sasshi was returning to was objectively worse in every conceivable way and arumi is inevitably alone and heartbroken. i'd like to think that the series as a whole is attacking the "reality is objectively better then fantasy" trope in a way, because what good is reality if people have to suffer senselessly

miscellaneous thoughts about the series as a whole... uhhhh the space episode and the movie episode were really funny and well stylized, i wish the animation throughout the series was that consistently good. i did not like the military/hard boiled episode at all, some of the lamest fillers i've had to sit through. i wish the romance between arumi and sasshi was more prominent but shit ill take what i can get

60% random autism 25% impactful coming of age 5% babes. very really interesting to pick apart. 7/10 :)
michaelchristmasApr 20, 2023 11:17 PM
Aug 24, 2023 3:05 AM
Jan 2019
Or maybe... the ending was meant to poke the people who keep saying "Face Reality, stop escaping from it" by telling them:

"Oh, so you call me a kid for running away from reality, but doesn't that make YOU a kid running from MY reality? At least my reality is MY reality, while your reality is not even yours, but something you accepting and not trying to change. At least i'm trying to change it, while all you do is sitting and accepting it with long face"

Well, this is how i interpret it. Adults criticize kids for escaping from reality, but what if it's the adults are the ones that escape from reality where kids escape from reality?
What if many adults, in their desire to "Stay with reality" are basically escaping from reality's positive side, by seeing only negative face of reality?
Look at Sasshi's dad... does he look happy?   Is the reality where people are unhappy is the reality that should be? Or maybe a reality where people can be happier is better?
While reality where everyone is happy may be fake, reality where everyone is sad is also fake, you know.

Meanwhile, what is the reason to escape from reality when you have ability to change it?
It's like someone grants you an ability to use transport to move around faster, and then you say "That's just child play, walking on foot is the only reality"

Maybe all this setup where everyone expected Sasshi to "Accept Reality" was made EXACTLY to SUBVERT IT?
To be a big "Take that!" for all boring people who just... exist in reality. 

I'm not saying realists are bad... i'm saying that this ending is meant to be "Take That!" to EXTREME realistis. The ones who see nothing but reality.
And ending of this show is expected. When you try to force someone to accept EXTREME realism, they bounce back into EXTREME escapism.

When you FORCE someone to go in THAT direction, they obviously would prefer to go in OPPOSITE direction.
Why? Because we humans are rebels at nature.

All the progress Humanity has made is a product of going AGAINST the laws of "Real World"
"You can hunt using only your claws, it's law of real world"
Screw that, i can use instruments!
"You can move only on your feet"
Screw that! I'm going to invent a wheel!
"All you see is fleeting"
Screw that! I'm going to invent art to preserve imagery!
"You cannot fight ilnesses"
Screw that! I'm going to invent medicine to cure!

That are the positives. But negatives are when you force a person to be fitting within certain role too much, they will bounce back in the opposite direction.

That's what i see in this ending. The ending of this show is logical one.
Aug 26, 2023 6:54 PM

Apr 2021
Moral of the story: The important thing is to be healthy.

Another epic ending to a work of art. This ending surprised me.
Dec 11, 2023 2:53 AM

Jan 2017
Right... the anime talks about facing reality, but in the end it doesn't show them doing that, in fact it shows the opposite. However, just like other Gainax’s works, this one is also self-aware of what it was saying, it's not like the anime was irrationally saying to rejecting the reality. I think they just chose an ambiguous ending where it shows them chosing the ideal world instead the real world, while at the same time being self-aware of it, leaving something for the viewer to reflect on.
Dec 20, 2023 2:34 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i used to catch the odd episode of this WAY BACK in the early 2000s when it was on Anime Unleashed on TechTV/G4

i remember thinking it was dumb and cringe, now i watch it and am like, damn, this is fucking fire... although the random art quality changes/artstyle changes kinda threw me off, not sure if it was on purpose due to the changing worlds or the 2 stuidos being different, anyway

yea the ending was kinda "too safe" but w/e idc

it was also fun to see where later anime like Gurren Lagan got their influence, not to mention all the parodies of 80s movies and the like

ps: Harumi is fucking adorable and Mune Mune is sexy as hell just liked i'd remembered, damn, would have loved a figurine of her lol
Jan 1, 4:43 PM
Oct 2019
I thought the ending was good and I really don't understand anyone who complains about the ending, did you happen to look at the anime's tags? This is marked as a comedy and not a drama, if you want a drama with a dramatic ending, go watch an anime with a drama tag.
Sasshi spent several episodes suffering over Masayoshi's death, there is Mune-Mune's suffering for chasing Eutus and not being able to find him, there is also the suffering in the love triangle at the origin of the neighborhood, do you want even more suffering? Go watch a drama and not a comedy.
I chose the anime for its comedy and it followed the premise, and the anime's happy ending was quite satisfactory, because it's a comedy and not a drama, I thought it was good and whoever didn't think so needs to learn to check the tag of the anime before watching.
Jan 29, 11:55 AM

Jun 2021
Oh, well, didn't expect this series finale to be this polarizing. i'll just write that both sides have fair points, but i have never been a man that heavily diminishes the score because the ending was bad / rushed too hard etc etc. even if it's understandable in this occasion to think otherwise. i had fun like at every previous rewatch and that's what matters to me.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» I'm a dum dum

TikkiWii - Jan 28

8 by phototaku »»
Feb 26, 5:49 PM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 12 Discussion

Juliab - Apr 16, 2008

39 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 11:26 AM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 8 Discussion

Juliab - Apr 11, 2008

23 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 11 Discussion

Arashi89 - Aug 11, 2009

17 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 10 Discussion

kisami - Dec 5, 2008

15 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 2:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.