Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 2008 4:45 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What a gigantic fucking cop out. I am so disgusted with that ending. What happened to the entire point of the story; there being only one reality that you have to face, to grow up and not be a kid; what happened to decent storytelling that was on display in the first episode?

Just a disgrace. Of course it would take too much effort and talent to craft a final episode where the kids actually have to live in world where death occurs. Of course!

I want to smack the lazy writer in the face.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
May 27, 2008 6:44 PM

Apr 2007
Yeah, the ending was crap, but i could totally see it coming. And i don't think the ending has got anything to do with lazy writers.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2008 4:42 AM

Jan 2008
Siing said:
And i don't think the ending has got anything to do with lazy writers.

Why not? For a 13 ep anime I would assume there's a lot of pre-production time, the script is completely finished and ready to go. Its just lazy writing, whether its from the manga or not. The mangaka or screenwriters couldnt come up with anything original or compelling, they ruin all the good will they earned in the previous episodes. Its a cop out designed for those weaklings who just want a happy ending for every film or show they watch. Not that living in a world where old people die is even an unhappy ending for crying out loud.

Actually if you look at AnimeNews website, you see 3 people worked on the script, including the mangaka, and for some strange reason it doesnt say who wrote the last episode.

So I'm just gonna blame all 3 of them equally. Cant be bothered to check out the manga.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 7, 2008 9:23 AM

Feb 2008
yeah that ending was rather weak. i think there might have been some crazy stuff going on and they cut it short. there is even a preview for ep 14 or was that a joke?
Feb 12, 2009 10:09 AM

Aug 2008
Hmm that was a disappointment. A bit too much of a "happily ever after" ending. Shame really considering how good the rest of the show was.
Apr 16, 2009 10:20 PM

Aug 2008
*warning* spoiler talk.

LOL Cihan, I TOTALLY get you. It's so funny. I came in here trying to find some place to rant, thinking the exact words, "What a cop out." I'm here cause I figured the episode 13 discussion would do.

Geez, what a massive dissappointment. Watching this show and amazed at its unbelievable story, full of hilarious moments and heart-tugging, feeling-turning twists that could have a person in tears, watching this last episode made this show's comparatively low rating make complete sense. What a disaster! The characters learned nothing. Sasshi dropped to a level unworthy of Arumi, who, by the way, never moves on to the things she said she dreamed of doing, the grandpa lives, Mune-mune somehow comes back to life (wtf?) and never resolves her "wandering soul", and the problem still exists that two more idiot kids could go through the same crap... and probably still learn nothing!!!!!!!!! ugh.... these kinds of things are the worst - you're absolutely right. This was a LAZY ending! This was a bad ending for the sake of art, when really all it does is piss people off.

You know, it's funny. The whole time, I ranked this series a 9 and said I would give it a 10, depending on the ending.

I give it an 8.
Romance comedy anime - Japan's gift to America
Aug 20, 2009 6:06 AM
Feb 2008
mcjazzman32 said:
What a disaster! The characters learned nothing. Sasshi dropped to a level unworthy of Arumi, who, by the way, never moves on to the things she said she dreamed of doing, the grandpa lives, Mune-mune somehow comes back to life (wtf?) and never resolves her "wandering soul", and the problem still exists that two more idiot kids could go through the same crap... and probably still learn nothing!!!!!!!!! ugh.... these kinds of things are the worst - you're absolutely right. This was a LAZY ending!

Yet it somehow reflects reality. Only very few of us really can fulfill their dreams and people only rarely learn from their mistakes, so this ending is imo as fitting as one where grandpa stays dead and the family moves away.

Although the oh so powerful grandson mage who resurrects the dead is really too much of a deus ex machina...
Nov 3, 2009 5:51 PM

May 2009
I'm glad this was a happy ending.
I like coming across a show or movie every now and then where the ending doesn't leave you depressed. I'm sorry, but life alone isn't too easy, so watching anime that tells me what I'm already going through, or similar to what I've been through, isn't something I personally want to watch.

I like seeing things that put a smile on your face after you've finished it.
I'm not someone who enjoys suffering.

The only thing I wasn't happy about, was that those two clearly liked eachother, but it wasn't explored so much through words as it could have been.
Nov 4, 2009 2:17 PM

Jan 2008
There's nothing wrong with happy hopefull endings, but the problem is this ending renders EVERYTHING BEFORE ABSOLUTELY MOOT AND POINTLESS. It's like the complete opposite of character development.
Nov 30, 2009 12:22 PM

Apr 2009
What a let down... damnit Gainax you did it again...
Alas86Nov 30, 2009 12:47 PM
Nov 30, 2009 8:34 PM

Sep 2009
I didnt want Arumi to leave, but I DID want them to face Masa-jii's death.
I dont get what they tried to pull with Mune-Mune...
Gaddammit.. this cudve been so much better T_T
Dec 1, 2009 12:19 AM

Nov 2008
really a fun and wild ride.
What would the point of been to return to a world and time where grandpa dies?
We deal with death enough in our world, so should we not be glad that there is a place where loved ones don't have to leave?
No, this story was not some great epic novel in animated form, but it was interesting enough to entertain us and separate us from our own reality, if even for a little while.

8/10 for the series.
Dec 1, 2009 4:32 AM

Jan 2008
Papa_G said:
We deal with death enough in our world, so should we not be glad that there is a place where loved ones don't have to leave?
No, this story was not some great epic novel in animated form, but it was interesting enough to entertain us and separate us from our own reality, if even for a little while.

He's gonna die anyway in the reality they returned to. Except now his death will hit the girl even harder than if they'd just returned back after having learnt some life lessons.
Dec 2, 2009 1:46 AM

Nov 2008
Beatnik said:
Papa_G said:

He's gonna die anyway in the reality they returned to. Except now his death will hit the girl even harder than if they'd just returned back after having learnt some life lessons.

How so?
Yes he will die eventually, but now she can spend a little more of that short time line we call life with her grandfather.

Like I said, it's just a cartoon.
If you want realism - watch survivor
If you want a cute story with a happy ending - watch this anime
If you want a cute story with a seriously dark turn at the end of it - watch School Days.
(That one was just creepy)
Jan 9, 2010 7:10 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm... well that ending kind of... ruined everything? Reminds of of Clannad After Story....

6/10
Jan 27, 2010 8:11 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Oh Gainax...

Gainax make some of the stories and create fascinating worlds and then just can't seem to tie things up at the end.

For me it wasn't a question of happy or sad endings. It had more to do with getting some kind of closure and this clearly wasn't the case.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 16, 2010 4:45 PM

Jan 2008
Beatnik said:

Actually if you look at AnimeNews website, you see 3 people worked on the script, including the mangaka, and for some strange reason it doesnt say who wrote the last episode.

So I'm just gonna blame all 3 of them equally. Cant be bothered to check out the manga.

Don't blame them. They are just kids, like Sasshi. Sometimes scared of reality. (I get scared myself, probably that is why I am looking for a 'hide out' in anime from time to time).
Though, it would have been better if they wrapped it up with some bitter-sweet ending (like all those themes about true meaning and/or beauty of real life with all its realities) and not, let's call it, abrupt ending.

But we all would have though differently if the idea about death had not been put in the anime/manga to start with.

Still, solid 7/10.
Mar 30, 2010 3:02 AM

Oct 2009
What a terrible ending. I'm agreeing with most of the other comments here, it was a total cop-out. This anime has been great at showing how the kids are trying to run away from the death and hardships that come with life, and then they have an overly happy ending where the grandfather doesn't die and the childhood friends don't get seperated? Ahh, it can have a 7/10, because the rest of it was great.
An end where they dealt with it would have gotten an eight, or if it was very well done, a nine.
Apr 4, 2010 9:22 AM

Feb 2008
This episode totally nullifies that "awesomeness" feeling that I had while watching the last12 episode. Even some other anime's abrupt ending like er....(better not list it out in case of it being spoilerific and all) couldn't even compare to this.

Totally regretted marathoning this right now..WHY??!!
Aug 22, 2010 6:20 AM

Mar 2010
oh wow

Worst ending to GAINAX original ever.

Fucking Yamaga, he haven't got his shit together since Honneamise.

That final ep nullified all the show was trying to say
Sep 3, 2010 11:57 AM

Mar 2008
Erm...what? o.0
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2010 1:25 PM
May 2010
hmmm forgive my stupidity, but in the end, are they in the real world and ssashi changed what has already happened? or its another fake world, that he created really good?
Oct 6, 2010 12:45 AM

Feb 2008
Well, I'll have to agree with majority, ending was really pointless. They totally runied atmosphere and denied evertything they stated in eariler episodes.
Not happy, no.
Jan 19, 2011 7:24 AM

Apr 2009
gr33nhippo said:
Hmm... well that ending kind of... ruined everything? Reminds of of Clannad After Story....

Exactly what i think after watching it. All this "lol just kidding nobody actually died!" is so cheap and meaningless.
Feb 12, 2011 7:41 AM

Oct 2009
Yeah the whole show itself was kinda pointless in the end, Sasshi was just a kid in the end after all -_-, but i don't know i kinda think that was the point the writers wanted to show...ehhhhh i dont know.....>_>
But i enjoyed this series quite a lot, well done Gainax

Solid 8/10
Feb 22, 2011 9:45 PM

Dec 2010
I thought the ending was actually pretty good. Sasshi was fighting against sadness and change for pretty much the whole series... The disappointment of losing his toy collection, his old house.. his best friend (who he also had romantic feelings for) and then the death of her grandpa was something so sad that he didn't want her to face it (even though she had already come across his body and then she fainted.)

So in the end Sasshi made Arami a world where he could have her around and protect her. He chose to have to the two of them live in a nonreality because reality sucked so bad for them which I thought was pretty cool.

That is a much better ending than Arami coming back and crying before being shipped north...
Feb 26, 2011 10:14 AM
Jan 2009
I think you people are kind of missing the point. Should we be happy that Sasshi changed reality, or look down on him for escaping once again? This is SUPPOSED to be an open question. It's called an ambiguous ending. Gainax does it a lot.
Jun 2, 2011 12:46 AM

Dec 2008
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-whoaFULLONBRAKES. What. WHAT. WHAAAAAT.

Wow, my heart just seriously sank. I went from thinking this show was amazing and deep and cool to just a horrible, horrible ending. I was hoping Arumi would stay but they'd have to face Grandpa Masa's death. It just seemed... like, oh, I don't know, the whole point of the series - the reason why they traveled from world to world, the escapism.

I get how it could probably be interpreted ambiguously, but nothing from the ending makes it feel this way; nothing gives off this vibe that's like, "Maybe it happened, maybe it didn't." The emphasis was too strong on Grandpa Masa's death to suddenly wrap up and be A-OK in the last 10 minutes. It makes me feel like Sasshi got what he wanted and everything turned out okay. Masa's alright, Arumi's staying, all of that. Damn.

I thought the emphasis on escapism compared to reality was important... but, argh, I'm really frustrated with this ending now. Now that I've typed out my feelings I think the initial shock has worn off, but I'm still kind of upset things turned out this way.

Overall there were some great laughs, good references, and fun characters, but the storyline didn't connect as well as I wanted it to and for the last few episodes blowing my mind to the point I thought something super strong and awesome emotionally was going to come out of this, I find myself lost and saddened.

It's got a lot of good points, but that damn ending. Normally I'd give shows that don't have a backbone of good plot/fun characters a 6 or less from being impressed initially to winding up fairly disappointed. But I feel generous and give this one a 7. I'll probably remember the bulk of the series for what it did rather than that ending. I don't like the idea of the kids growing up in an alternate, fixed reality, but hey, what are ya gonna do.

I also liked that this episode had a final episode preview, but I think it would have left me with a bigger bang if Sasshi finally did the episode preview for episode one - like it would matter, anyway! But yeah, I guess Sasshi's just a kid through and through. And I guess that's what kids are supposed to do - just be kids. But we all gotta grow up sometime. Just maybe not today.

Yeah, I think 7/10's fair. If they faced Masa's death it could have easily been a 9. If the ending didn't wind up so fast without some vague quality to it, I imagine it'd be a 6 or less for me. So right in the middle of "meh, disappointing, jeez," and "whoa, this was pretty cool," for my enjoyment.
CardcaptorKittyJun 3, 2011 3:33 PM
Aug 5, 2011 7:11 AM

Feb 2010
So, how about "facing reality" that a grandson of great onmyoji can change his reality? Is it too tough for you to accept? :D
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Aug 25, 2011 5:29 AM

Apr 2009
I was expecting them to accept reality in the end as well but...ah what the heck, I'll file this under my happy endings list. It was a wacky ride the full two-thirds of the entire series but I enjoyed all of it while it lasted.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 19, 2011 8:43 PM

Sep 2009
gatotsu911 said:I think you people are kind of missing the point. Should we be happy that Sasshi changed reality, or look down on him for escaping once again? This is SUPPOSED to be an open question. It's called an ambiguous ending. Gainax does it a lot.
LordLagannOct 19, 2011 10:11 PM
Dec 14, 2011 7:30 PM

Feb 2010
While I didn't hate it, I agree that the ending seemed inappropriate. It was inconsistent with the theme of the show: to move on with life. Sacchi chose not to. All that buildup for nothing!
hellogoodbyeMar 30, 2013 1:55 AM
Jan 3, 2012 12:14 AM

Jun 2009
smashwagon said:
I thought the ending was actually pretty good. Sasshi was fighting against sadness and change for pretty much the whole series... The disappointment of losing his toy collection, his old house.. his best friend (who he also had romantic feelings for) and then the death of her grandpa was something so sad that he didn't want her to face it (even though she had already come across his body and then she fainted.)

So in the end Sasshi made Arami a world where he could have her around and protect her. He chose to have to the two of them live in a nonreality because reality sucked so bad for them which I thought was pretty cool.

That is a much better ending than Arami coming back and crying before being shipped north...

Thank you. I was wondering why the show ended like it did. Your reason sounds plausible. I had a small suspicion when I saw Mune-Mune but I guess I just pushed it away.
Feb 12, 2012 4:23 PM

Jun 2010
Arumi's Osaka-Akan line was nonsense; it ran through a mutated New Jersey and missed the actual location of New York by about a hundred miles. Is this just Gainax (ironically) not letting reality interfere with a story?

The apparent cop-out that so many in this thread found disappointing makes me wonder. If Gainax wanted a happy ending, why get so heavy in the first place? It's also worth mentioning that "face reality" is a huge Japanese pop-fiction cliche and Gainax was no stranger to it.

It's possible I'm giving Gainax too much credit, but I wonder if there's something else going on here. Arumi was the voice of reason who always wanted to go back to reality, but when she remembered what really happened she was as horrified as you might expect and didn't want it. Sasshi's dad says it was Masa-jii's "time", but that's very arguable. He didn't slow down and stop because he was old (on the contrary he seemed pretty hale for an old man), he had an accident. That's not "fate". As the revised version shows, something as small as Arumi and Sasshi getting to the shop faster prevents his death.

The other chagrin, Mune's separation from Abe, also wasn't unavoidable "fate". They were separated because Abe ran away from her, an action which didn't give the result he expected ; Masabou and Mune getting together "again". Masabou got over his disappointment and married someone else while Mune regretted her parting from Abe for the rest of her life. If Masabou could get over Mune when Abe left, why should there not be a way for him to get over her with him staying? Abe never tried to work things out when he saw how sad and angry Masabou was, he just walked away. Hey, isn't this where "face reality" should come into it?

There's one other difference between the worlds of episodes 1 and 13; in episode 1, the shopping arcade is rapidly dissolving (and the whole episode feels soaked in melancholy because of this) whereas in episode 13, it's getting a large-scale renovation.

Maybe this is it. Maybe what it's trying to get at is that calling something "fate" doesn't mean that it's inevitable or should be accepted. There's no reason Masa-jii has to die. There's no reason Mune and Abe have to be apart. There's no reason that small business with roots in the community have to be replaced by large, faceless corporate endeavors.

Again, I could be giving Gainax too much credit. It's not as if they don't ever turn out crap, but I like them because they've got balls so I'd like to believe they weren't merely being sloppy.
Feb 14, 2012 10:16 PM

Dec 2010
Started getting pretty tedious towards the end. I could barely sit through the war episode.
Sep 12, 2012 7:53 AM

Oct 2010
well, um, disappointed, you know half way thorough i thought this could be a favorite anime, i am a so disappointed it isn't, that ending made no sense, i am sure it could of been done better. i am lost for what to rate this since last episode i was thinking it would be a 9, but now it might be a 8 because of how terrible its ending was, i will mull over this. maybe even sleep on it. i am sure they could of changed some thing to make it feel more realistic, if they didn't make sasshi older, and then randomly younger it might of made more sense.
Apr 19, 2013 5:57 PM
Jul 2012
i found the ending believable because otakus(symbolized by sasshi) would prefer to change reality instead of facing it
Jun 7, 2013 4:33 AM

Jan 2013
This is the opposite ending of eva and people don't like it? Hmm...
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 10, 2013 9:55 AM
May 2011
reraine said:
i found the ending believable because otakus(symbolized by sasshi) would prefer to change reality instead of facing it

That has little to do with the passive themes presented in the series. It was a coming of age for Sasshi and Arumi. That's why the ending sucked.
Jul 5, 2013 6:55 PM

May 2012
Well that was pretty weird, really strange way to end this series, it was actually pretty the series but just a very strange ending...

Well it wasn't bad but wouldn't call it good either, it had its moments!
Nov 29, 2013 3:11 PM

Dec 2007
Muneyama Muneko must be the worst name ever.
Jan 24, 2014 4:59 PM

Oct 2012
I don't know how i feel about this ending, it was a "happy" ending that i didn't wanted but it was presented it in a way that didn't feel so happy to me, it felt like fake happiness. I don't know what the creators attempt was, to show us that a perfect happy ending is not so happy after all or just to create a generic happy ending? For me it all felt kind of sad. Still a good show 8/10
PsalidokratorJan 24, 2014 5:03 PM
Feb 8, 2014 1:38 AM
Aug 2013
wow. what a horrible way to end a good show.
Mar 7, 2014 1:10 PM
Jun 2013
*sigh* First of all what I didint like about this show

EUTUS AND MUNE. These two characters are fucking horrible, selfish and dumb.Once they showed their background I instally hated them. Eutus is a backstabing friend who doesint deserve happyness. Hes also stupid to boot with lines like "im powerless to do anything" when he had a second chance to handle the situation better and failed. HES JUST AWFUL.Also he left a pregnate women behind.

Mune was a wife who cheated on her husband and then she was someones friend who just couldint out right say "i dont like you like that and nothing will never happen" instead she fucks the other girl to let him know that. I liked her when she was just some big boobed comic relief but now I cant stand her.I was actually happy when I saw her crying.

None of these two characters deserved any type of happy ending and it kills me that they got one.It shows that even if your a awful person you can get what you want in the end.

Ok after that rant of anime characters that joined "i fucking hate you" list the show itself was really a fun ride.I admit the ending was pretty much a cop out and came out of left field but it didint hurt the overall show for me. Everyone els was fun to be around and the leads were a joy. Now it would have been nice to see a real reaction of them taking in the death of the old man and sasshi having to deal with the move but hey for what it was it was still fun......execpt for those TWO CHARACTERS WHO MAKE MY GOD DAM BLOOD BOIL!!!! *breaths in and out* im sorry but who the hell thought these two were characters that people would root for and hope a happy out come for.
souledge94Mar 7, 2014 2:07 PM
Jun 21, 2014 1:28 AM

Jan 2013
Well well , a fun ride , lots of funny moments and sad ones , the character were kinda good and enjoyable , but ... all that freaking development was ruined in the 5 last mintues of the last episode . What the fuck Gainax ? Really ? SO sasshi didn't choose to move on ? And he changed reality with his powers huh ? Wow , this is a let down . I was going to score a solid 10 for this series if Masaji died and Arumi witnessed it . This is a ruined series . 7 for me .
Aug 30, 2014 12:08 AM
Apr 2013
I think the ending was pretty good actually. Sure, it could be taken as a sugar coated ending where everything happens to work out in the abrupt end- because maybe that's the point. Because the "happy" end seems so last minute, maybe Sasshi wasn't able to alter their original reality. Maybe the all too perfect world that he created is a more clever fiction than the last few. Because he merged with his adult self or whatever, he gained the power, but still found that he couldn't cheat death. So he constructs an illusory new world, completely separate from their own dimension, that is a utopia for everyone.

A stretch maybe, but worth considering.
Aug 30, 2014 12:11 AM

May 2009
I was actually fine with this ending. It was a nice twist.
Sep 5, 2014 12:15 PM

Sep 2012
I think this ending worked the best for this kind of anime. I was expecting them to go back to the real world and face the grandpa's death but I think that would be too depressing and out of place for a anime like this. This anime was full out comedy/parody. A happy ending like this would work best. It sounds pretty nice and sweet that satoshi created a world for everyone to be happy in. I think its wrong to say its a bad ending because its just like another ending you can do. Theres a happy ending and sad ending. They can do either one. This is just one of the happy endings. Saying its bad because it didn't go the way you wanted it to is wrong. I admit I was disappointed because I was expecting more development in the relationship with arumi and satoshi by the end but I think the ending is satisfying enough. 10/10

*Remember guys, he is still a kid. Its not easy for kids to face reality like that.*
Jan 6, 2015 2:56 PM

Oct 2013
shit ending
----/
nanofate fan
konata x kagami fan
Jan 6, 2015 3:01 PM
Dec 2014
worst ending
sacchi piece of shit
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I'm a dum dum

TikkiWii - Jan 28

8 by phototaku »»
Feb 26, 5:49 PM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 12 Discussion

Juliab - Apr 16, 2008

39 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 11:26 AM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 8 Discussion

Juliab - Apr 11, 2008

23 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 11 Discussion

Arashi89 - Aug 11, 2009

17 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 10 Discussion

kisami - Dec 5, 2008

15 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 2:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.