Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 24, 2016 10:02 AM

Nov 2011
Epilogue with the final few parts out now.

Going to miss this series for sure after reflecting back at the experience. Yawl~
Jun 24, 2016 10:17 AM

Jul 2012
Such a nice manga, love the art style.
I have a soft spot for animal's stories, specially cats xD

Jun 24, 2016 11:21 PM

Mar 2015
love the series, but ending felt rushed...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 25, 2016 2:01 AM

Sep 2010
This story was both super creepy and super adorable at the same time.

Props for the author!
Jun 28, 2016 6:28 AM
Aug 2014
Kuma said:
love the series, but ending felt rushed...

I agree, was kinda expecting a little bit more when it was over suddenly
Manga was great nonetheless
Jun 28, 2016 8:16 AM

May 2012
I agree with Kuma about the ending feeling rushed, but other than that, everything else was amazing.

Amazing enough to go into my favorites now.

Hope to see more from the author

Jul 22, 2016 10:24 AM

Feb 2013
in certain perspective, it is tragedies, the parents die, the monster taking their places, the kid increasingly withdraw from society,getting sick finaly joining the monster as one body.
Talk about tragedies
"Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon."
Oct 30, 2016 9:29 AM

Feb 2015
One of my favorite mangas, I liked the ending. Wish it gets animated one day. ;v;

May 2, 2017 1:12 AM
Nov 2014
Wait, what about the original Kuro? How can it still be alive?
May 5, 2017 9:35 PM

Nov 2010
ForeignerChan said:
Wait, what about the original Kuro? How can it still be alive?

They said that original Kuro was only injured when the monster went into him. So I'm assuming that when the monster left original Kuro's body, it healed Kuro?

Or they found another cat that looked like Kuro.
May 5, 2017 10:36 PM
Nov 2014
Aritan said:
They said that original Kuro was only injured when the monster went into him. So I'm assuming that when the monster left original Kuro's body, it healed Kuro?

Thank you for answering! You are right, in the end Kuro was just possessed, so when the monster left his body he was still alive. Maybe the monster had already healed Kuro's body while possessing him, so he didn't need to heal him after leaving. :)
Aug 25, 2018 4:35 PM

Dec 2011
I binged the whole thing with my own "kuro" next to me. This mangaka knows cats so well.

The ending was kind of confusing and incredibly rushed, but the strange, whimsical aspect of the story still defines the story for me. I still wonder if the corpses of the parents are just wandering around somewhere. Oh well?
Nov 24, 2018 6:31 AM

Jul 2009
You gotta love some nice world building, story continues to live outside of the bondaries of the ending.
Jun 19, 2019 9:19 AM
Aug 2018
Surprisingly good read. Sadly they didn't solve all the mysteries.

After her parents got infected by the worms, they went into the forest and turned into monsters aswell?

Somehow I had hoped for more.
Jul 7, 2019 6:50 PM

Oct 2017
A Happy ending with both Coco and both Kuros alive? I'm am overjoyed. The ending definitely felt rushed and I thought more was going to happen before then. I'm still a little irritated that Coco does have any emotions towards the Doctor causing the accident and the mystery of what happened to her parents after the monsters entered their body but I'll just assume they transformed into them, same with Maria's brother.
It does seem the doctor was correct in that the original Kuro wasn't dead when he merged with the monster and the monster was simply healing Kuro all that time while protecting Coco. This makes the most since since monster Kuro is able to restore Coco's color (although he just seems to be merged with her) and heal the scar he left on her.
Overall this manga was very good. I enjoyed the story and the world that was created.
Apr 10, 2020 1:30 AM

May 2010
Absolutely adorable, although ending was a bit rushed, it felt kinad random, and at times I wasn't sure what was real and what was Koko's fantasy. The whole story was pretty straightforward and not really that complex, honestly it's just about cute loli having fun with cute, magical kitty, most of the time. Soooome deaths and monsters in the background, just enough to make it slightly more eerie than your typical CGDCG series.

Soumatou's artstyle is WONDERFUL, I often caught myself just staring at some of the drawings, total cuteness :3 Also, I love that this manga was published mainly in color, it absolutely deserved it.

I've had ton of fun reading this manga, I just wish it was a bit longer, some themes were intriguing and could as well be explored more... but oh welp. It's enough being what it is. I'd love to see grown up Koko though!
May 1, 2020 10:33 PM

Sep 2009
I feel unsatisfied. If Kuro killing people was a dream, then what happened irl? Did she passed out and Kuro possessed her unconscious body while freeing the cat? Or have she been brought to Doc and he did something? I kinda would like to think latter, cause everyone around Coco is so chill as if they know what happened, why her hair became white and black again, how Kuro changed to regular cat. I know it's brought up from nothing, but Kuro was kinda estranged after he saw her hairs, so it's hard to imagine he suddenly decided to posses her... like, it's possible, but it author didn't show that progress (if what's is shown is dream not reality). Maybe she fell sick for days and been at Doc and Kuro decided to heal her by possessing..
Well, aside from rushed ending it's a great story and solid world. I kinda want to read spin-off about matured Coco with supernatural forces fighting off monsters =^_^=
May 20, 2020 7:34 AM

Oct 2018
Yeah I don't understand anything, but it wasn't bad overall.

I will probably never read 198 chapters of a manga in one hour again.

I'll give it 7/10.
Jul 14, 2021 1:33 AM

Nov 2013
I would have preferred if the story had ended without the epilogue and those extra chapters.
The monster leaving Kuro's body and dying, and Kuro surviving in the end was a perfect ending, but Koko fusing with the monster is creepy.
But I still loved the ending overall, leaving this small detail aside.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Sep 4, 2021 8:11 AM

Jun 2015
That was quite some short read. It has a good mix between cuteness and hell-freak creepiness. It ends well for Coco. I was a tad confused, of course. But basing everything on Doctor's assumption, the real Kuro is not dead yet when the monster invested its body, therefore having essentially two souls in the body. At the end of it, the monster Kuro merges (?) with Coco to heal her, and the real Kuro is alive and well again because the monster healed him too.

I said it again in Shadow House section, I love Soumatou's art style. It eerily fits me to the tee. The colors seem softer than Shadow House, but still uses textured paper which makes the art stands out. The lively facial expressions and gesture is always a big plus for me from Soumatou. Well, clap clap. I love it.

On side note... Looking at the open ending, I can't hardly see a future of that world. I wonder if it goes to AOT direction, expand the territory, fight monsters, and stuff. Or would they rely on the flowers to keep their living space. I wonder if Coco has the monster's power too............. Okay, creepy thoughts. Stop it. STOP IT! Let's keep it cute.
YosepRASep 4, 2021 8:15 AM
Sep 5, 2021 3:47 AM

Oct 2017
YosepRA said:
That was quite some short read. It has a good mix between cuteness and hell-freak creepiness. It ends well for Coco. I was a tad confused, of course. But basing everything on Doctor's assumption, the real Kuro is not dead yet when the monster invested its body, therefore having essentially two souls in the body. At the end of it, the monster Kuro merges (?) with Coco to heal her, and the real Kuro is alive and well again because the monster healed him too.

I said it again in Shadow House section, I love Soumatou's art style. It eerily fits me to the tee. The colors seem softer than Shadow House, but still uses textured paper which makes the art stands out. The lively facial expressions and gesture is always a big plus for me from Soumatou. Well, clap clap. I love it.

On side note... Looking at the open ending, I can't hardly see a future of that world. I wonder if it goes to AOT direction, expand the territory, fight monsters, and stuff. Or would they rely on the flowers to keep their living space. I wonder if Coco has the monster's power too............. Okay, creepy thoughts. Stop it. STOP IT! Let's keep it cute.

Pretty much agree with everything you said man - I like the two creators combined artstyle, and the textured and well detailed backgrounds plus the overly expressive facial expressions.

Feels like they like darker themes and mysteries lmao - plus it feels like this somehow birthed the idea for shadows house later on, even if they're different stories - at least the cat merging at the end seemed to hint at how they got the idea for shadows house lol.

This was a great read though - despite feeling a bit rushed at the final moments and a bit confusing - honestly thought Kuro the cat was gone and it was a new cat - and can't tell how much of that was a dream, did the cat disappear, obviously it didn't kill her friends - which means she went into the room alone to face her fears.

I somehow don't think the doctor and the rest of them was in the parents bedroom when the kids had to crawl in through the doggy door. - So if she passed out when entering the room and seeing the dolls - maybe her friends carried her to the hospital?

Maybe the cat merged and gave her hair color back on the way there or something as well? I don't know... It could of used a few extra details - but it was a solidly good story overall.
Sep 5, 2021 4:00 AM

Oct 2017
Banu02 said:

Well, aside from rushed ending it's a great story and solid world. I kinda want to read spin-off about matured Coco with supernatural forces fighting off monsters =^_^=

Just posted a comment above where I felt the same way, but as it turns out - there actually is a continuation chapter

Chapter 198.1 - a bonus epilogue of sorts - If felt like this should be in 195-198 - maybe it came out a little while after the manga officially ended. - but no one is talking about this bonus final chapter there so I'm going to mention it here to raise some awareness.

In a sense I guess they should of counted it as 199 - but calling it a bonus epilogue fits a bit better. - Stop reading here and go read it before you read my comments on this chapter, that way you don't spoil yourself.

EDIT --

Moved the remaining part of my comment to a new forum post - just for this bonus chapter, seeings no one else was talking about 198.1 in this 195-198 area - that way I could avoid spoilers

So comment about chapter 198.1-199 over there - which is located here.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1954209

At this link between these sentences lol.

GodOfWolvesSep 5, 2021 4:13 AM
Sep 5, 2021 4:18 AM

Jun 2015

Exactly... Sometimes, it's difficult to differentiate between Coco's imagination and reality. Heck even her written stories look and sound legit, like the one where Kuro absorbs insects to gain its form.

As for the ending, I pretty much have the same assumption as you. Maria and Milk bring Coco to her parents' room for her to face and accept their death. She then somehow fall unconscious, presumably because of Kuro healing her hair and due to the shock she received from facing the reality, then her friends bring her to the Doctor. What comes next is pretty much straightforward already, Coco fully accept her duty to maintain the garden, and she having a picnic with her friends, Doctor, and Miss Brenda.

Yup, it was an entertaining short read.
Jan 21, 2022 6:52 AM

Nov 2008
Rushed & needlessly happy ending. Underwhelming.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Mar 22, 2022 10:09 AM

May 2017
Lovely, adorable and beautiful short Manga! Would definitely recommend! It was rushed tough, but that is just the style of the storytelling overall. This is not meant to be a complex longer story after all. 8/10
Jan 16, 2023 2:17 AM

Dec 2009
I still think this story is great, but I am left confused in understanding the last arc from when her friends come to help her... it's difficult to reason the logic of how several things occur or what is real and what's not... it is very confusing in the end with a fair amount of things left unanswered and unclear which is disappointing. 

Because of that flaw, it may deserve a 7/10, but because it's open to interpretation even if it's very unclear, the story is unique and very good before that and overall, thus I wanna give it an 8/10. 
I really wish the last parts were clear though... 

What happened to her parents, how exactly do the monsters function, why is one corpse producing the white flowers that keeps them away, why is the Monster Kuro protective while no other monster is, how did it and the real Kuro exactly remain alive and seperate individually, why did the Monster Kuro scratch Coco for the first time in a year of being together... 
Some of these answers are somewhat answered by the Doctor's theories, but not exactly proven to fact, so I still wonder on the exact technicality. 

On second thought, I think it deserves a 7/10, even though it's arguably close to an 8, so technically 7.5/10.
Their relationship and the mystery along with the complex relationships from the characters and fear towards Coco was very intriguing. 
Except her memory loss was poorly managed, since it comes off as more that she's fully aware but in denial instead of having fully forgotten... I don't know.

More topics from this board

» Kuro Chapters 180-186 Discussion

Stark700 - May 27, 2016

8 by hanakocheeks »»
Jun 23, 2023 11:41 AM

» Kuro Chapters 152-163 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2016

4 by hanakocheeks »»
Jun 23, 2023 11:15 AM

» Kuro Chapters 187-190 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2016

8 by Crescent_ »»
Jan 31, 2023 8:35 AM

» Anime Adaptation?

Miyoko15 - Oct 10, 2022

2 by waalex11 »»
Jan 16, 2023 1:23 AM

» Where to read?

Kbenicio - Jan 26, 2020

9 by iShipMyFriends »»
Sep 13, 2022 6:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.