Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 5, 2009 3:30 PM

Jan 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
What a fucking horrible and totally pathetic story, first of all the plot barely moved at all on it's firsts 12-15 chapters, It was extremely slow and made me yawn a lot of times, second, suddenly, a random day, a common day, this poor bastard hikikomori has a extremely beautiful big-titted woman in his house out of nowhere and 1 month later she fucks with this weird jacko-freak (not including the fact that he has a monster cock) and pleases her until the climax. Is just unacceptable the fact that he is just a normal guy 6 years later after being victim of his own imprisonment on the room for 15 years. No... just no.

No, really, what a mishmash of bullshit. The ending was horrible as well. Although I will admit that it had a lot of potential on it's first 2 chapters, but whatever, I had to see how this was going to end.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Dec 12, 2009 6:22 AM

Oct 2008
Well I must say that agree with you..it was a terrible ending....
Jan 31, 2010 8:28 PM
Jan 2008
i was hoping they would get together and be happy...but this ending was just so dissapointing....
"Forged in darkness with wheat harvested from Hell's half acre. Baked by Beelzabub; slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chickens, force-fed to dogs by the hands of a one-eyed madman. Cheese boiled from the rancid utters of fanged cows. Layered with 666 separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood."
ATHF
Feb 28, 2010 6:06 PM

Aug 2007
Man, what a fucking buzz kill.

Both of them are crazy anyway.
Apr 29, 2010 1:10 AM

Sep 2007

I have to agree on the fact that the ending was bad, but I found the story to be pretty good till the end. Also, becoming a normal guy 6 years later is completely reasonable. The only reason he was able to sustain his life in his room was because he was being supported by his father and mother-in-law. After being only given a enough money to live, he has to learn exactly how to not waste money and only buy the necessities, which he didn't do at all in the beginning and thus got a taste of starvation. After that, everything else comes quite naturally, that is: the need for extra money, getting a job, acquiring a social life, creating relationships with other people, and so on and so forth. Of course he can always manage to get stuck on this path, but 6 years is more than enough time to do this. Now as for how he managed to get his own restaurant and a family of his own, that was probably something along the lines of working at a restaurant, becoming liked by either the owner or his daughter, marry the daughter either through her directly or through her father, and finally inheriting the restaurant - not necessarily in this order... I still didn't like the ending though. It was much too unfair for the woman. I remember bawling my eyes out as I ranted about how it should have gone, but that was quite a long time ago...
May 2, 2010 4:11 PM

Nov 2008
Karura said:
Man, what a fucking buzz kill.

Both of them are crazy anyway.

Understatement of the year! I always hate coming across manga that has absurd characters that I never ever want to meet or associate in real life. It's as if the characters have no common sense and just act like animals who can only manage to wear clothes and try their best not to scream like apes.

3/10 (What an absurd manga!)
Jun 30, 2010 4:43 PM

May 2009
Just reading the other comments on the ending, it's seems that most people have a highly romanticized idea of the world. That or they hope for romantic endings to their mangas.

Did I like the ending of this manga? Not really, it felt rushed towards the end. However, I felt it did end more realistically than some other mangas. Truth be told, he settled for that other girl (or so it would seem), and that's what 95% of us would do. You don't keep hoping that the girl that walked out on you (even if it was out of "love") would magically come back into your life, instead you settle.
"To be ignorant and to be deceived are two different things. To be ignorant is to be a slave of the world. To be deceived is to be the slave of another man. The question will always be: Why, when all men are ignorant, and therefore already slaves, does this latter slavery sting us so?"
~ R. Scott Baker
Jun 30, 2010 10:15 PM

Nov 2008
@Xirad

Realistic? The whole story was about some NEET who leeches off his parents and never cared for his parents. His father then meets some woman with daddy issues and marries him. The NEET, who had no female contact, immediately latches onto her and "falls in love" because she's the only female figure he noticed. The daddy's girl then proceeds to take on some motherly role after the old man dies...

TL;DR: NEET pity story that also includes incest. >_> MESSED UP!
Dec 17, 2010 1:34 AM

Mar 2009
It started off interesting. The plot was interesting. However, the ending was really poorly done. It just seem rushed and incredibly lame.
Apr 15, 2011 7:51 AM

Feb 2011
Quoted over from other thread, my thoughts.

I would have like to see the two of them together at the end but it wasnt really all that clear how she thought of him. I did feel like their relationship was forced and I wondered wether she was just doing it to heal him. What was with the last dinner why did it show the bowl? and what did he mean by was that a message?

Perhaps how she recoiled away when she saw his thing and said I cant do it and told him at first that he couldnt "eat her" was suppost to be a sign that she was forcing herself to do it. The fact that she washed his pants was suppost to show a motherly responsability I dont know. Did she mean what she said about she would like him if he became more caring or was that just another ploy?

The story sort of winded in on itself, making it hard to follow. Her feelings didnt come across very clearly. Was that diary entry to show that she thought of him as his mother and the one after showing a feeling of guilt of what she was planning to do. Were her tears of joy at the end?

Given time and the fact that you dont see the other person I think most people would move on. His feelings for her were probably not real, she was probably just a "host" as it said. She was the first female he had seen in 15 years so it was natural to find himself attracted to her. The flashes of his fathers face were signs of guilt on his behalf i think.

The more that I think about it the more I feel that his feelings were false and that she was forcing herself in order to heal him. I think the councilor ment to use the GF angle to heal him but he wouldnt accept her. She saw that he "liked" his mother and suggested that angle to his mother but told her to consider her future before doing it. That would explain why she hung around for a while afterwards, giving advise and support. It would also tie in with the councilor's comment about not having time and having to speed things up. Later his mother sat there pondering over the not "having time".

The diary entry seemed to confirm that she saw him as a son (and his father as a husband) and that she felt guilty by what she was doing. Im pretty sure that his father was the only one she loved romantically, she kept looking at his shrine in the last few chapters. The manga title translates out to 'maternal feelings' which is the moverly love feeling.

In the end he read the diary and discovered her true feelings and motivation. With time he came to an understanding of how he truely felt(perhaps relised that his feelings were false and reconised the guilt of what he had done(flashing fathers face during sex)) and moved on. He could now consider her as his mother?

All that being said it was a confusing manga and I cant say I liked it due to that. What were there feelings for each other? who knows. Was that image of her crying, down cast eyes and awquard atmosphere around the house ment to show forced romance? Were her tears at the end of sorrow or joy that he had moved on? (Im thinking joy)

Personally i dont like having to think about things too much, look for meanings and having to use my imagination, I prefer to be spoon fed stuff even if the story turns out to be cliche. Having thought about this sorty and sharing my insights about it I have improved my opinion of it a little. I hope my thoughts on this manga help others to understand the story a litte better as they did for me.
Apr 27, 2011 5:46 PM
Jan 2011
Was that woman at the end his wife? thats really all im curious about.
Aug 31, 2011 11:22 AM

May 2011
Mao_black said:

the one with the little kid was his wife.
Mar 19, 2012 5:30 AM

Oct 2008
Noooo! Why did it end like that?? And just when I was so excited when he came running off! But then, I'm glad that he got over with being a hikikomori in the end.
Apr 1, 2012 2:01 PM

Jun 2009
I like this manga, even if it has its own "mistakes". Other shojo mangas also contain a lot of foolish and unrealistic stuff sometimes. At least this story shows us what a big problem the hikikomori phenomenon means to Japan nowadays.
I'm happy that it ended absolute positvely.
Don't belive in yourself! Belive in me who belives in you! (TTGL) XD ...LOVE and PEACE!! ^_^
May 25, 2012 11:44 AM

Mar 2012
I was pretty disappointed as well... but at least it was a happy ending
Jul 15, 2012 10:45 PM

Dec 2008
Wow! I can't believe the amount of people that thought the ending sucked. I thought it was great. I actually cried a few tears.

I didn't make any efforts to analyze things too deeply. It was a work of fiction and purely for entertainment.

However, from what I surmised, Haruka genuinely loved Shintarou's father and wanted to grant his wish for his son to come out of his room and live life as a normal person. Her methods, though unconventional, were quite effective. I'm glad that Shintarou found that diary and finally understood Haruka's motive. I believe that was the catalyst for Shintarou to actually try to "live" instead of "exist."

Seeing Shintarou married (presumably) and with a child was Haruka's happy ending.
Jul 16, 2012 9:10 AM

Aug 2011
with how the first chapter went i thought the rest would be good but it end rushed, i guess i just expected more than i should have.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2012 1:56 PM
Jul 2012
lmfao the ending was fucking stupid, i kinda enjoyed reading it i guess.
Nov 11, 2012 1:13 AM

Aug 2008
damn I hate the ending..

so the kid in the end was not his and haruka's daughter?? damn
My Grandmother Always said.. He who walks through the path of heaven will rule over everything..

Jan 4, 2013 6:20 PM

May 2007
I remember being slightly depressed after reading the final chapter, I think I read the final chapter RAW too, so I was a little confused but eventually read the English scanlation soon after......that was like 3 or so years ago.

I sorta liked the manga but I also remember thinking how "fucked up" it was, but then again it's what I expect from the mangaka of GANTZ to do with a premise like that.
May 18, 2013 8:10 AM

Dec 2012
Their relationship was really forced in the story so I am glad they didn't end up together. It was mmkay 6/10.
Jul 3, 2013 12:59 PM

Jul 2009
what? the ending was good. it was a good thing he didnt get with haruka or he didnt learn anything. she got him with almost out of pity and you sick fucks want her to stay with him? nothanksjeff.

in the end, he got with a diff woman and had a kid with that woman, NOT haruka's. and to op, wtf? if you've been getting Cs and Bs all your life in school (~10 years) and then you suddenly start getting As in college, that's impossible? damn. sucks to be you. guess change is impossible for some people.

inb4 he tells me he's an A student all his life.
brb doesnt know what change is
brb never lifted
brb never started his career
Jul 3, 2013 2:39 PM
Jul 2018
im so mad at that ending

i can understand why the mangaka chose that route but still..
Aug 18, 2013 5:16 PM

Mar 2012
Well this was the author of Gantz...so didn't really expect much.
Oct 26, 2013 11:03 PM
Nov 2012
The entirety of the last volume felt so forced and development came out of nowhere. Really a disappointing ending to the very good start.
Feb 14, 2014 12:22 PM
Apr 2012
Explicitz said:
Mao_black said:

the one with the little kid was his wife.
i wouldn't care about haruka i mean even though she cry she doesn't love him she probably have 2 kid know by that sports car guy that y shin have so much money(reallistic ending i mean what chance a guy could have a girl like that in his life now his just stock with ssome woman, top class miss campus)i still dont understand why she had sex and giving the word "couple", feel bad for her life her love is being force, first shin then that sports car dude, the only thing that its not being force is that old guy
Feb 16, 2014 3:53 AM

Aug 2012
It had a good start and an interesting premise (not that it is unique, but still.) Anyway, the ending was so bad I feel like crying lol. Could've been executed better. Meh. Disappointing.
Apr 13, 2014 8:16 PM
Jun 2012
the ending was a little more realistic than most because of how he ended up getting married to someone else instead of the other girl coming back. What i dont get was if she was really watching over him since she would always make appearances when necessary like when she left the money and at the end. all i hope is that she didnt marry or got back together with that douch that used to hit her
Mar 27, 2015 9:54 AM

Jul 2012
Ayame0126 said:
I'll pretend the last two panels didn't exist.

good idea :(
May 19, 2015 3:41 AM
Apr 2015
Actually, the ending is much realistic. After overcoming his neet life, he makes his own family and become inspiration to others. When he said "Thank You Mother" that was also good because his father married that girl after all. The girl only serve as a motivation to the MC.

Tbh, I want the girl to comeback to him and start a good life :) Somehow, life will not work the way you want it.
May 30, 2015 8:27 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Disappointing effort by Hiroka. The ending was rushed, and the whole story was way too unbelievable to have true emotional impact. I
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 5, 2015 5:34 AM

Sep 2007
It is hard to understand why some manga are rushed. The ending was sad but mature, what really pisses me off is that Haruka probably marry that guy with the rich car and kept an eye on the loser. At the end i believe she was crying alone and the loser no longer a loser but with a family. I am confuse and sad wanting to see more of the manga but like the ending that won't happen as i wish it. Overall i enjoy the reading and the ending broke my expectations.
Aug 19, 2015 9:21 PM
May 2015
what the fuck did i just read.,..
The ending was ok, even though Haruka and the Hikki never ended up together its really a story about growing up and adulthood. What i absolutely hated was the unrealism of the characters and the absurdity of the plot...
A young, hot woman marries a old guy b/c he reminded her of her father. Then she goes on to take care of a 30 year old Hikki (and im sure he isnt like 99% of hikki irl) disregarding her own future for him and ends up having sex with him and leaves and never comes back!!?!?!??! bruh....im mindfucked. Oku's works are almost always dark and depressing but this one ices the cake. wish i never read this
EL PSY CONGROO
Sep 5, 2015 9:15 PM

Jul 2015
It was a total half assed ending.
Nov 16, 2015 3:20 PM
Sep 2015
I thought the ending was good. Shin pulled his act together, found a woman to fall in love with and had a kid. The "relationship" he was in with Haruka was a bad one and she knew it which is why she left. She managed to get him just far enough that he was capable of taking those last few steps on his own - it was a critical point because if she had actually fallen in love with him then she probably knew he would regress.

I don't really understand why people are so salty about the ending other than the fact that he didn't end up with the big boobed beauty (hell I would be salty about that if it was my life as well) but at the same time, he ended up pretty alright.
Mar 26, 2016 7:31 AM

Apr 2015
I have to agree on the fact that the ending was bad, but I found the story to be pretty good till the end. Also, becoming a normal guy 6 years later is completely reasonable. The only reason he was able to sustain his life in his room was because he was being supported by his father and mother-in-law. After being only given a enough money to live, he has to learn exactly how to not waste money and only buy the necessities, which he didn't do at all in the beginning and thus got a taste of starvation. After that, everything else comes quite naturally, that is: the need for extra money, getting a job, acquiring a social life, creating relationships with other people, and so on and so forth. Of course he can always manage to get stuck on this path, but 6 years is more than enough time to do this. Now as for how he managed to get his own restaurant and a family of his own, that was probably something along the lines of working at a restaurant, becoming liked by either the owner or his daughter, marry the daughter either through her directly or through her father, and finally inheriting the restaurant - not necessarily in this order... I still didn't like the ending though. It was much too unfair for the woman. I remember bawling my eyes out as I ranted about how it should have gone, but that was quite a long time ago...

Even though this is a 6 year old review. You're very right. I was pretty sad at the ending too. The premise of the manga was stupid. It picked up a little towards the middle-end. But then it just came crashing down again. I'm still glad I read it though. Made me feel crappy -- and when a manga can make you feel something, it's always worth it, right? Main character was a douche. Glad he sort of redeemed himself in the end.
Sep 27, 2016 11:44 PM

Jan 2013
It was very cliche and I feel it didn't accurately represent a hikikomori, but more so the tropes attached with them. Good concept, bad execution.
Apr 19, 2017 12:23 PM

Mar 2016
It was pretty good until they started dating
wow
Aug 23, 2017 1:39 AM

May 2008
it seemed like a good manga until she illogically started dating him, then i just felt so disconnected from the story from that point on, cause it all felt so forced and unrealistic...
Nov 6, 2017 12:51 AM
Nov 2015
The ending..
I don't understand why they would not walk to each other and at least be friends, talk.. Just seeing each other and walking away like that.. That's cruely sad.
Dec 18, 2017 3:48 PM
Jul 2018
disappointed...
Feb 25, 2018 9:33 PM
May 2016
I dont give a fuck about how a realistic ending is.
I read manga only for my enjoyment and i dont need it to be realistic.
What i find about this ending is that the author was pushing the story so hard to be accurate in real life. But it just made the story out of the place.

I cant call this a sad ending cause he can leave his neet life. But i cant call it a happy ending either.
And this kind of ending is what i hate the most.it feel like all the character development and relationship building are meaningles

In the end, although the story is very interesting to me, the ending is just bad.
Jul 2, 2019 10:41 PM

Sep 2017
Well, it was a beautiful story, at first I thought that I would not end up liking, but I was wrong ... woww I was surprised that end, I expected them to meet again and this time maybe they could stay together, even so I can not say that I disliked, but it does not leave me completely satisfied.

Mar 3, 2021 5:13 AM
Nov 2018
The ending was ass. And what makes it even more ass is that Haruka most likely just married that fucking rich guy with a ferrari. I get that she had to leave him alone for him to get better, but can't they just get back together in the end? What a load of crap.
Apr 5, 2021 11:04 AM

Sep 2016
Oh man, this ending sucks. I get that she thinks he needed to be on his own in order to get better, but she could've helped some more and I feel like she could've gone about it in a different way. I guess I should've expected this from the Gantz author.

Also, for y'all saying that it isn't an accurate depiction of the life of a hikikomori/neet: What would've made this story more accurate?

Life has no meaning,
but that doesn't mean
we shouldn't live it

May 13, 2021 4:47 AM

May 2007
I want to say that I read this like a decade or more ago and I still remember what happens in this and how it felt like I was being hit by a tonne of bricks.

It's funny how I remember the entire story of this but can't remember how Planetes ended.
Oct 25, 2021 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
Bizarre manga. The more I read the more it f-cked my brains out.
May 4, 2023 8:25 AM
Aug 2018
What's with yall in comments💀, although the ending was Kinda far fetched , But it was good , The guy Decided to change, what's wrong with him actually try to be better, It doesn't matter if the girl come back or not , 6 FUCKING YEARS , people change in a year, that's 6 year , which is more than enough for him to change,for him to be living a Happy Normal life at last , Why do y'all curse haruka? Instead she was major reason for his life to become happy, whatever the fuck she does with her life after that is on her🤨, atleast she Saved the guy rather then leaving him to die As a hikki
May 4, 2023 8:28 AM
Aug 2018
Malhavok said:
I thought the ending was good. Shin pulled his act together, found a woman to fall in love with and had a kid. The "relationship" he was in with Haruka was a bad one and she knew it which is why she left. She managed to get him just far enough that he was capable of taking those last few steps on his own - it was a critical point because if she had actually fallen in love with him then she probably knew he would regress.

I don't really understand why people are so salty about the ending other than the fact that he didn't end up with the big boobed beauty (hell I would be salty about that if it was my life as well) but at the same time, he ended up pretty alright.

Yes, this guy right here,, Is it hard to understand this??? Smh smh at you people

More topics from this board

» if he never leaves his room...

SwordWielder - Dec 16, 2010

4 by Saiaku27 »»
May 4, 2023 8:40 AM

» Ending

mugwump - Apr 29, 2008

16 by Saiaku27 »»
May 4, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Me-Teru No Kimochi Chapter 27 Discussion

czerah - Mar 19, 2012

3 by Saiaku27 »»
May 4, 2023 8:03 AM

Poll: » Me-Teru No Kimochi Chapter 26 Discussion

czerah - Mar 19, 2012

1 by Saiaku27 »»
May 4, 2023 7:50 AM

Poll: » Me-Teru No Kimochi Chapter 25 Discussion

czerah - Mar 19, 2012

2 by Saiaku27 »»
May 4, 2023 7:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.