Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2014 5:48 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Unlike poor Alderbaran who died by a stupid creature and had the worst death a gold saint ever had, Shaka died like a total boss.
Damn the guy was fucking with three powerful gold powered people and kicking their asses.
RiP Shaka, truly epic dude.

Btw, Shaka realized this guys seem to have something else in their mind that Athena's head so he killed the others hoping they will talk but nothing. Seriously if this guy could have just talked why it's important to go to Athena and all these deaths could have been avoided then i'll be pissed by their moronic behavior.
I really don't get it. They obviously don't want to kill Athena so why not just tell that to Shaka and get his help getting to Athena?
By doing this shit they will only leave Athen with no gold saints to protect her and helping the opposing force by weakening her forces.
May 29, 2014 5:34 PM

Jun 2012
Athena's exclamation is over exaggerated. No way was that puny blast as powerful as the big bang. Other than that, the episode was pretty damn good as usual. Still dont get why Camius doesnt use AU-RO-RA EX-ecution!!
Dec 26, 2018 4:22 AM

Jun 2016
WHAT A FREAKING PHENOMENAL EPISODE, MY GOD!!!! Every moment of it was wonderful! This arc has had Saint Seiya at its best with pure awesomeness like Dohko vs Shion, it's had its best with the pure will power and manly resolve of Kannon, the subtle depth of everyone from Gigant's sadness over his fallen men or the teary eyes of Saga before he strikes down Shaka or even Miro's compassion after testing Kannon, but now we have the utter tragedy that comes with war that we've seen time and time again. It sucks so bad to see these strong heroes fall. It reminds me of the very first Sanctuary battle. It's just good guys vs good guys, even Saga back then with his evil half had good intentions, yet it was simply a battle that had to come because of circumstance and competing values. The way we explored Shaka this episode and the way we saw the tears in Saga's eyes and their doubt over their mission before overcoming it as both sides put their goal above their own pride and lives, and attempted to kill respected friends. BRUTAL. My heart is broken, the characters we know and love are dropping like flies. If Miro was right and there is no survivors emulating the horrors of the last Holy War then I will bawl like a little baby. Like, what if even Athena dies??? Shion and Dohko knew the last Athena before Saori... It's possible, right?!?!? ; -- ;

To speak on the lighter side of the episode, the start was excellent for reasons that weren't so tragic. I adored seeing the former gold saints interact with Shaka the way they did. Shaka knows they cannot be in this for an unfit reason and he tried his hardest to hear them out but for reasons so far unknown that was impossible. The way he cleared out the specters was so brutal and I loved it so much. I can't believe he rubbed it into Gigant's dying face that no one has eternal life, not only tying this into Buddha's words later in the episode, but also making a confident man fear death in his last moments! I'm very curious as to why they couldn't tell Shaka what was happening, earlier it made sense, they were being tailed but now it's not so clear. I wonder if Hades is omniscient in some way.

Then we got one of the most animated fights in the series with smooth dodges and counter attacks. We could see Shaka's skill at the start with complete dodges as he got overwhelmed and started trading blows instead and later lost track of Saga. It was nice.

And for the sadder part of the episode, the moral dilemma of the former gold saints finally explicitly admitting that they are doing this for Athena's sake and Shaka's flashback and acceptance of death was some breathtaking stuff. We finally understand what it means for Shaka to be closest to God, ever since he was a child he had dialogue with Buddha. And I think he only finally came to accept those words that he'd forgotten now. For, if I recall correctly, back in the Sanctuary arc he wanted to kill people to take them out of their suffering. Yet here his peace comes from knowing that suffering allows joy to exist and that death isn't the end, that he will reincarnate again in another existence down the line. Maybe I'm wrong here but it seems that in facing his own death he found peace with it by looking back at Buddha's words. The imagery alone of taking his enemies to his final resting place is beautifully sad.

I loved how the flashback got annihilated by the Athena Exclamation, it blended reality with the flashback perfectly. To speak on the ones doing the attack, the fact that they struggled with going directly against Athena in such a disgraceful way, and the fact that Shaka used it as a bluff was really chilling honestly. They had to come to terms with themselves and reaffirm their mission here. It has to be darn important because they are willing to throw away their sainthood, kill a fellow gold saint, and disrespect Athena on the way to give her some words. The whole "we won't let your death be in vain Shaka" and Mu's tears and Athena's scream for Shaka was all so sad, and so great.

I wonder if the former gold saints will continue lacking 4 senses...

This arc is looking to be like a Saint Seiya highlight reel with all the good and none of the bad. O_O

P.S. Didn't Shaka get killed by a suicidal Ikki and later he brought the two of them back to life? Or was it something else that occured there?
Dec 26, 2018 4:45 PM

Dec 2015
I absolutely love this episode, not only the action but the perfect depiction of everything in the OAV thanks to this wonderful direction. Every minute passing watching this "fight", I am thinking I shouldn't love it this much since I perfectly know the show is making Shaka so much stronger-looking than the manga was but I just can't calm myself, since the first time I expericned it.

Back then (as a child reading the books), I was wondering how Shaka was able to "speak to himself" because for me there was only ONE Bhudda. XD

5/5

@gfsdfgsdgsdfgs Not at all, they were sent in another dimension and Shaka even reached Mu in order to ask him for help (I could retrieve the scene for you in the books, since I'm home).
Rei_IIIDec 26, 2018 4:49 PM
Dec 26, 2018 4:59 PM

Jun 2016
Rei366 said:
Not at all, they were sent in another dimension and Shaka even reached Mu in order to ask him for help (I could retrieve the scene for you in the books, since I'm home).

Thank you for the clarification! I'm remembering that more now.
Dec 28, 2018 2:55 PM

Dec 2016
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
WHAT A FREAKING PHENOMENAL EPISODE, MY GOD!!!! Every moment of it was wonderful! This arc has had Saint Seiya at its best with pure awesomeness like Dohko vs Shion, it's had its best with the pure will power and manly resolve of Kannon, the subtle depth of everyone from Gigant's sadness over his fallen men or the teary eyes of Saga before he strikes down Shaka or even Miro's compassion after testing Kannon, but now we have the utter tragedy that comes with war that we've seen time and time again. It sucks so bad to see these strong heroes fall. It reminds me of the very first Sanctuary battle. It's just good guys vs good guys, even Saga back then with his evil half had good intentions, yet it was simply a battle that had to come because of circumstance and competing values. The way we explored Shaka this episode and the way we saw the tears in Saga's eyes and their doubt over their mission before overcoming it as both sides put their goal above their own pride and lives, and attempted to kill respected friends. BRUTAL. My heart is broken, the characters we know and love are dropping like flies. If Miro was right and there is no survivors emulating the horrors of the last Holy War then I will bawl like a little baby. Like, what if even Athena dies??? Shion and Dohko knew the last Athena before Saori... It's possible, right?!?!? ; -- ;

This is one of my favorite episodes in not only SS but in all anime. The mix of emotions is incredible. What a rollercoaster! It is also the reason why Shaka is my favorite character in Saint Seiya. Now you know ;))

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
To speak on the lighter side of the episode, the start was excellent for reasons that weren't so tragic. I adored seeing the former gold saints interact with Shaka the way they did. Shaka knows they cannot be in this for an unfit reason and he tried his hardest to hear them out but for reasons so far unknown that was impossible. The way he cleared out the specters was so brutal and I loved it so much. I can't believe he rubbed it into Gigant's dying face that no one has eternal life, not only tying this into Buddha's words later in the episode, but also making a confident man fear death in his last moments! I'm very curious as to why they couldn't tell Shaka what was happening, earlier it made sense, they were being tailed but now it's not so clear. I wonder if Hades is omniscient in some way.

Then we got one of the most animated fights in the series with smooth dodges and counter attacks. We could see Shaka's skill at the start with complete dodges as he got overwhelmed and started trading blows instead and later lost track of Saga. It was nice.

And this was the start of a discussion that last decades. Who is stronger? Saga or Shaka? It is a good topic and I can see good arguments in both sides.

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
And for the sadder part of the episode, the moral dilemma of the former gold saints finally explicitly admitting that they are doing this for Athena's sake and Shaka's flashback and acceptance of death was some breathtaking stuff. We finally understand what it means for Shaka to be closest to God, ever since he was a child he had dialogue with Buddha. And I think he only finally came to accept those words that he'd forgotten now. For, if I recall correctly, back in the Sanctuary arc he wanted to kill people to take them out of their suffering. Yet here his peace comes from knowing that suffering allows joy to exist and that death isn't the end, that he will reincarnate again in another existence down the line. Maybe I'm wrong here but it seems that in facing his own death he found peace with it by looking back at Buddha's words. The imagery alone of taking his enemies to his final resting place is beautifully sad.

OMG that scene is so beautiful! It's impossible to not shed a tear in that moment. Beautifully sad like you said.

Dec 28, 2018 7:15 PM

Jun 2016
Sparkyon said:
It is also the reason why Shaka is my favorite character in Saint Seiya. Now you know ;))

I'll be honest, as soon as I was seeing the events of episode 9 and 10 I had the thought that this is why you love Shaka so much!

Sparkyon said:
And this was the start of a discussion that last decades. Who is stronger? Saga or Shaka? It is a good topic and I can see good arguments in both sides.

That is a good question.
Nov 15, 2022 8:52 PM

Apr 2016
I felt this episode was longer than it actually was but that might be because I have never be that crazy about Shaka, it was good showcase, though.

Mu already at the Virgo temple meanwhile Milos still on his catwalk.
Feb 7, 2023 5:56 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
VIRGO SHAKA...... FELL

THE STRONGEST, THE VIRGO SAINT, LETS BEGIN, COMPLETELY FOR VIRGO SHAKA TO HAVE FALLEN, THE STRONGEST AND ONLY SAINT TO HAVE EVERYONE SENSE HE HAS DEPARTED, IT IS IMPROBABLE !!!

THIS OVA makes SHAKA, SAGA, CAMUS GET MORE FAVORITES IF NOT ALREADY.
張大です for 張大勇督察

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saint Seiya: The Hades Chapter - Sanctuary Episode 13 Discussion

Monad - Jan 23, 2014

10 by Fang_Tooth »»
Feb 1, 1:48 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: The Hades Chapter - Sanctuary Episode 12 Discussion

Monad - Jan 22, 2014

9 by wildhood »»
Sep 8, 2023 12:53 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: The Hades Chapter - Sanctuary Episode 11 Discussion

Monad - Jan 22, 2014

7 by wildhood »»
Sep 6, 2023 8:23 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: The Hades Chapter - Sanctuary Episode 1 Discussion

EZSPECIAL - Jan 2, 2013

12 by wildhood »»
Jul 26, 2023 10:02 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: The Hades Chapter - Sanctuary Episode 10 Discussion

Monad - Jan 22, 2014

6 by iamKetranLang »»
Feb 8, 2023 4:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.