Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 21, 2022 11:54 PM

Dec 2014
He is clearly the hero of the story, the only one who made the world peace to good people, change my mind

Mar 22, 2022 12:05 AM

Jun 2021
well logically speaking it's ryuk since he is the one who dropped the death note
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 22, 2022 12:07 AM

Nov 2016
I don't like Light but ngl I would like him to write Putin's name 😅
Mar 22, 2022 12:28 AM

Oct 2017
Nah would just rather call you a sociopath.
Mar 22, 2022 12:41 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Light was nothing more than a serial killer with a god complex. Any talk of creating a better world is just a means to justify his behaviour.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Mar 22, 2022 12:51 AM
Jan 2012
He straight up killed a dozen or so FBI agents, alongside the wife of one of them who were all innocent as far as the story was concerned. He's very much the protagonist, and yes his actual goal at it's core was for peace, but he wasn't a good person, thus not the hero.
Mar 22, 2022 1:15 AM

May 2018
"Light yagami is the hero of death note"

Yes, because he sacrificed his personal desires and ambitions for the good of all mankind...oh wait, he forced his ideals on everyone and committed crimes even against innocent people along the guilty ones, does that count as act of heroism?
Mar 22, 2022 1:27 AM

Feb 2021
Yes Light Yagami is the hero because he sacrificed his soul for bringing the mankind to justice. He lost his father was even ready to sacrifice his sister for that.

Near and L are the enemies of true justice.
Mar 22, 2022 1:45 AM

Feb 2019
I mean, sure I guess. Why should I change your mind???

『ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰɪʀᴇ』

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the bi◼️?]

☽ † ☾
- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
- ꜱɪɢ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴᴛᴡɪɢ

Mar 22, 2022 2:24 AM

Apr 2015
He simply just gave death sentence to people justice system already found quilty, who were in trial or who were on polices' radar. How can we know crimes that often are not reported (sexual harasment, domestic abuse etc.) are not present in the World Light "created". And I'm 100% certain most crimes around the World would go unnoticed by him simply because his information sources rely on languages he knows. Plus like others have said Light killed innocent people, and used other people to save himself. He was just on a power trip.
Mar 22, 2022 2:59 AM

Oct 2010
Light's justice is true justice, Kira is our god
Mar 22, 2022 3:03 AM

Oct 2012
You might agree with him, but he is clearly the villain based on the narrative structure of the story. He's a false hero. L is the real protagonist. As for changing your mind, well, people can believe all kinds of wrong shit. It's their choice.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 22, 2022 3:58 AM

Mar 2008
He was too stupid and egotistical to be a hero. What he did was a bandade approach when the Death Note in actuality would have given him ability to make mass societal changes that would last beyond his own life and wouldn't rely on fear. Fear is a failed motivator for lasting change. Seriously he only focused on killing criminals when he could have been manipulating world leaders and billionaires.
Mar 22, 2022 5:57 AM
Jul 2018
People can feel whatever way they want about Light Yagami. It my eyes, he was a hypocrite to his ideologies since he had to take innocent lives and sacrifice his own family for his ambitions. And the fact that he disposed of his own followers without any regard for the sacrifices they made for him. He just felt at ease for not being captured for actions that he obviously felt guilty about.
Mar 22, 2022 6:57 AM

Sep 2008
alshu said:

Yes, because he sacrificed his personal desires and ambitions for the good of all mankind...

it's amazing how many people forget that this is what makes a hero. I blame the mcu/disney.
protagonist? yes. hero? no.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 22, 2022 7:13 AM

Oct 2013
Crime is a symptom of broader societal issues. An authoritarian crack-down on crime through the rule of fear would in no way bring world peace. Light was a child who succumbed to the power he thought he could control because absolute power corrupts absolutely.

"The kindest person in the room is often the smartest."
All failures of the individual are the failure of society to provide the means by which they could have achieved success.
Mar 22, 2022 7:16 AM

Oct 2018
Hardly, the justice system exists for a reason. Next time I'll just accuse Weidman of heinous crimes online if I want their position at work, they'll drop dead without due process after all.
Mar 22, 2022 7:16 AM

Jun 2016
It's Just Messiah Saviour Complex nothing else, most people think like this as in society they view stuff with their "sense of justice" glasses so anything not aligning with them is bad, like light did things good for society as law is failing to do so but who will keep him in check and later it turned out as he is silencing anyone who is trying to go against him so it's just he killed people who didn't align with his ideology so light ain't a hero he is just a douche with book that can kill anyone, give that to anyone and most humans got narcissistic tendencies and they will do the same things as light did.
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.
Mar 22, 2022 7:20 AM

May 2018
nyugvo6 said:

it's amazing how many people forget that this is what makes a hero.

My first glimpse at how broken and meaningless is this english word was when in my country they started selling hero sandwiches with pictures of WWE fighters on their package.

A sandwich so large you had to be a hero to eat it.
Wow!

PS
When you think about it, this is the giveaway why Light is no hero - he only eats chips like a wuss, instead of giant manly sandwiches like a true bro...
alshuMar 22, 2022 7:47 AM
Mar 22, 2022 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
We all need to learn first abut the definitions of protagonist, antagonist, hero, villain, anti-hero, anti-villain, etc. Because Light is clearly an anti-villain protagonist.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Mar 22, 2022 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
traed said:
Fear is a failed motivator for lasting change.

Yeah. Even if the police couldn't stop him, who's to say that there wouldn't be people who would get tired of living in fear and rebel against him? To what end would he stop at killing people just to preserve his own ideologies and sense of power?
Mar 22, 2022 7:40 AM
Oct 2020
Yeah okay. Light existed only due to Ryuk though
Mar 22, 2022 7:53 AM

Sep 2008
alshu said:
nyugvo6 said:

it's amazing how many people forget that this is what makes a hero.

My first glimpse at how broken and meaningless is this english word was when in my country they started selling hero sandwiches with pictures of WWE fighters on their package.

A sandwich so large you had to be a hero to eat it.
Wow!

that was the most american thing I heard in a while.

alshu said:
PS
When you think about it, this is the giveaway why Light is no hero - he only eats chips like a wuss, instead of giant manly sandwiches like a true bro...

that gave me a good laugh! wonder if MHA sandwiches would sell, japan has all sort of crazy cake sandwiches.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 22, 2022 8:13 AM

Mar 2008
TheFireNinja said:
traed said:
Fear is a failed motivator for lasting change.

Yeah. Even if the police couldn't stop him, who's to say that there wouldn't be people who would get tired of living in fear and rebel against him? To what end would he stop at killing people just to preserve his own ideologies and sense of power?

Well just look how things work now. Death penalty has proven a failed deterrent. People who commit crimes like murder arent concerned about consequences because they are incapable of thinking about that. Plus he shortened his lifespan using the deathnote. After a while people will see nothing supernatural happens to them anymore.

Actually I kind of wonder if the whole thing was a critique of Japans justice system which assumes guilty before proven innocent. Aside from people in his way he easily could have killed innocent people.
Mar 22, 2022 9:32 AM

Aug 2020
One thing I like a lot about Death Note is that it kind of left it open to interpretation who the real hero is.
Because it specifically mentions several times that Light's plan was WORKING. Crime rates dropped to almost zero. The world for regular individuals became a much better place. He killed a few innocents in the process, sure, but ultimately, his goal was achieved.

Whether he was a hero or not comes down to personal values. Does the end justify the means? Some people would say yes, some would say no. It is a great parallel to debates we are having in the real world about stuff like total observation and erasure of privacy for everyone, or opressive justice systems that incarcerate everyone who MIGHT have done something, just to be on the safe side.
Mar 22, 2022 9:51 AM
Jul 2018
By all of these crazy Jaegerists, I absolutely forgot about the existence of edgelords, who think that Light was right.
Mar 22, 2022 9:59 AM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
Make the world peace by killing people that got on his way ??? Then this guy must be a saint
Mar 22, 2022 10:51 AM

May 2016
light was more of a potato than the chip he ate
Mar 23, 2022 7:41 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
The thread has been moved to the correct subboard
Mar 23, 2022 11:05 AM

Dec 2014
kizumi91 said:
Make the world peace by killing people that got on his way ??? Then this guy must be a saint

and he isn't?

BlinkWinkel2864Mar 23, 2022 11:14 AM
Mar 24, 2022 10:37 AM

Aug 2018
katsucats said:
You might agree with him, but he is clearly the villain based on the narrative structure of the story. He's a false hero. L is the real protagonist. As for changing your mind, well, people can believe all kinds of wrong shit. It's their choice.

Light is a villain protagonist, L is the hero antagonist. The narrative structure has Light in the pov. A protagonist is any character you follow in a story.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainProtagonist
Spoonmaster12Mar 24, 2022 10:45 AM
Maloween 2020 candies

Main candies:

Mar 24, 2022 10:44 AM

Aug 2018
Jim_Heart said:
We all need to learn first abut the definitions of protagonist, antagonist, hero, villain, anti-hero, anti-villain, etc. Because Light is clearly an anti-villain protagonist.

Having good intentions doesn't make you an anti villain. A lot of anime villains have good intentions. In order to be an anti villain, the character needs to be given a lot of sympathetic Light and grey zone. Light was never meant to be sympathized with. He is a clear cut villain protagonist.
Maloween 2020 candies

Main candies:

Apr 2, 2022 11:52 AM
Feb 2022
He killed innocents & manipulated others very oftern but couldn't that be seen as a 'deed with the greater good in mind'.

Like if he did not engage in these activities, more criminals would live, indirectly result in increased aggregate sadness.

What do you all think?
Apr 6, 2022 8:23 PM

Jul 2013
alshu said:

Yes, because he sacrificed his personal desires and ambitions for the good of all mankind...oh wait, he forced his ideals on everyone and committed crimes even against innocent people along the guilty ones, does that count as act of heroism?

That's actually part of the plot of the Dune books, but on a much greater scale.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Apr 6, 2022 11:50 PM

May 2018
Hraktuus said:
alshu said:

That's actually part of the plot of the Dune books, but on a much greater scale.

What kind of superficial read of the books paints Paul Atreides as a hero? Like for a period of time he acted like savior of the Fremen but actually manipulated them and exploited their religion for his personal revenge and political gains. His son Leto is even worst.

Note: Originally this topic was in the main anime discussion forum, this is when I posted in it.
I am fan of the Death Note manga, not the anime.
alshuApr 6, 2022 11:55 PM
Apr 6, 2022 11:58 PM
Jul 2021
Weidman said:
He is clearly the hero of the story, the only one who made the world peace to good people, change my mind

So you believe in no criminal no crime bullshit...
Dec 5, 2023 7:59 AM
Dec 2023
"Yes Light Yagami is the hero because he sacrificed his soul for bringing the mankind to justice. He lost his father was even ready to sacrifice his sister for that.

Near and L are the enemies of true justice." - Mantron

Well not really. The textbook definition of a hero is "A person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities." and while Kira is admired by some people, this doesn't change the fact that Light still kills innocent people like the twelve FBI agents. I don't know about you but when I think of justice, courage, and noble qualities, I don't tend to think of a 17-18 year old psychopath who mercilessly kills people, both guilty and innocent. Not to mention, I don't think Light ever seems to consider false convictions. The conviction rate in Japan is 99.9% so even if the suspect was, in fact innocent, odds are they'd still be charged and sent to prison, only to eventually be killed. It's also important to mention that often times, it is possible for people to atone for their mistakes but they can't do that if they're dead. The textbook definition of a villain would be "A character whose evil actions or motives are important to the plot." While sure L does try to stop Kira, it's because of the fact that Light is KILLING potentially innocent people. Even leaving their innocence out of the equation, it's very possible for people to change but that can't happen if Kira kills them first.
Dec 12, 2023 4:45 PM

Jan 2021
More like a villain...power corrupts people.
Dec 14, 2023 11:09 AM
Dec 2018
From the perspective of a psychopath criminal, everything is justified. Looting and killing innocent people? all good because the world is cruel. In their eyes, people more well off than them are villains, so they think of themselves as heroes. Rings any bells? Because that's what light Yagami is.

Lelouch > Eren > Light Yagami

Lelouch was driven by revenge, but still he was sane enough to try creating a world where weak could live. He wasn't living in denial. He knew the path he's taking would be of bloodshed where innocents would die. He became an enemy of public so they would unite.
Eren Yeager on the other hand, tried something similar, but killing more, just for the sake of a better and safe life of his 2 friends, and it was a stupid idea, but in his defence, everything was set in stones so he couldn't change it.
Then comes the edgelord Light Yagami, the psychopath killer. I don't think he had slightest intention to make the world a better place. All he enjoyed was killing 'bad guys', with bad being whoever he thought was bad. But eventually he made the world a better place, while being high on his killing spree. A

More topics from this board

» What detectives from other series do you think could solve the Kira case? ( 1 2 )

TheBlockernator - Jun 5

50 by Nikatto »»
53 minutes ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayrhandros - Apr 18, 2007

124 by N_Erwann »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayrhandros - Apr 11, 2007

124 by N_Erwann »»
Yesterday, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

399 by N_Erwann »»
Yesterday, 9:18 AM

» Does anyone find the post time-skip story kind of...bad?

VanVeleca - May 24

41 by Absurdo_N »»
Jun 13, 1:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.