Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 6, 8:32 AM
Mar 2024
Captainindigo said:
So is the voice actor singing in the insert songs? They sound pretty similar.

It's a so called "2.5D" band project, which means the voice actor and the singer for all songs (currently 12 released songs) is the same person.
Apr 6, 8:35 AM
Aug 2022
Dam this show gave me hella good vibes. I really like Nina as an mc and the music is super good for a show about music

I love the animation style too.
Apr 6, 8:50 AM
Nov 2021
Looked forward to this, saw it was CG and dropped it on the spot
Apr 6, 9:30 AM
Oct 2018
Reply to Riderr
The subs for the one I watched were bad, had it say "its joever" for its over plus other things I noticed. But besides that it really enjoyed it
@Riderr The better fansubs are on Nitori42069's anilist profile. The fansubs that got posted to the high seas were apparently edited and stolen from Nitori without any credit. (The original fansubs don't have the retarded "its joever" bit.)
Apr 6, 11:41 AM
Dec 2022
Captainindigo said:
So is the voice actor singing in the insert songs? They sound pretty similar.

Not only the singer. Look for Togenashi Togeari, all the girls who voice the members of the band are the real musicians who plays their instruments on the band, and they are all very good at them, kinda like Bang Dream bands where the voice actress are the musicians
Apr 6, 1:38 PM
Jun 2021
the 3D animation doesn't feel clunky at all and is actually pretty pleasing once you get past the first few scenes from the initial shock of not being used to it. the music is so good too
Apr 6, 1:45 PM
Dec 2022
Show is mostly CGI so idk how its gonna be
The OP was pretty good

subs said "its joever" towards the end LMAO

honestly the cg aint too bad
might be fire if I keep watching

the ending is pretty good too
Apr 6, 2:47 PM

Jun 2023
The first fansub was really something with the “it’s joever”
Apr 6, 3:03 PM

Jul 2012
I almost didn't watch this airing because of the CG. But then I remembered I like RWBY and Bandori, so I figured I could stomach this.

I think what bothers me is how pretty the OP is in the scenes without CG, so I think that's where my main disappointment lies. I was looking forward to this because I love band anime. K-On and Bocchi the Rock are number 1 and 3 on my list respectively.

Good start so far. Not sure why people are trying to compare it to Bocchi, when it's not trying to be lol. It's a drama - not a comedy.
Apr 6, 3:04 PM

Jul 2017
The visuals are what they are, not a big fan of them (even if it was actually not as bad as I expected) but surprisingly, this was one of the more enjoyable premieres for me. The ending was definitely cheesy, pacing had a lot going on but I did admire the energy this had to offer (especially in the opening song). The music was solid enough, the humor worked for me this episode and I like the two main characters from this episode already. There is a weird charm to it that I am into so far, and found it more enjoyable than the Jellyfish anime premiere, even if that looks better and more properly put together. Still don't know if this is a good one in the long run or it will get stale fast, but I did not expect to be more positive to this after watching it for a premiere. Even something that looks like this was more genuinely fun to watch than K-On for me which speaks volumes. Wish this was actually picked up for official subs and not just relying on MTL or poorly done subs but it is what it is.
Apr 6, 3:08 PM

Oct 2022
this is a weird combination of really fantastic storyboarding with visuals that look like a PS3 cutscene, i'll probably get over it but there's CGI shows from 5 years ago that look better than this and it's hard to look past that
fgsfds
Apr 6, 4:00 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was awesome. It's been a while since I've seen CGI this smooth while also being detailed and full of expression. The music sounds great as well. I feel like this is going to be one of my highlights this season!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 6, 4:36 PM
Jan 2021
I liked the music-type animes. The drawing is not good. I’m not sure if it is a “CGI” but I don't like this type of drawing, but still, I enjoyed the episode and the songs. Looking forward to another episode.
Apr 6, 6:10 PM

Jun 2019
Looks better than Bang Dream CGI. This doesn't feel laggy like Bandori and CSM CGI.
Apr 6, 6:17 PM

Mar 2008
Pretty decent start.

Some of the dialogue was a little weird to me. Are there people in parts of Japan that are afraid of cats?

CG looks decent though I feel maybe it's presumably missing some motion blur since faster movements look a little too crisp, and lack of motion blur is what tends to make 3D animation look "cheap" but it seems it has maybe a little but im not sure just from looking. That aside aesthetics are good since it has some nice finishing touches added. Also the faces have some nice rubberiness to them for larger gestures so they dont look too stiff when being expressive which is a problem some 3D animators have. I also noticed occasionally you see polygon shapes in the hair of some characters in some frames as if their model didnt have enough added but it's subtle so it's not a big deal.

Ishitateso said:
Pretty good CGI animation, but there was not a line drawn by hand here at least not in the old way. I mean I would have liked it better if at least the main characters and the cat have been hand drawn or shaded, blured whatever in a way that would gave the illusion of an old hand drawing like they do it in other series. We definitely will lose something in this decade, maybe see the last generation that does it the old way. Otherwise it was crisp, the backgrounds would have been seen only in movies a decade ago.

Storywise the main girl brought Sayuri to my mind who had been a street musican before she became famous when her music was used in anime openings / endings. Very promising start, I will definitely follow this.

Eh idk I think CG works good only for stationary objects in hybrid animation. Hybrid animation looks bad when there is CG background characters and cars. I explained above what I think is missing. I think trying too hard to make 3D look 2D often doesnt have very good results unless it's actually hand drawn on top of it. Why CG often doesnt look so good in Japanese stuff is because they try too hard to make it look 2D a lot of the time and use low frame rate, though this uses a higher frame rate so it looks better.
Apr 6, 6:24 PM
Apr 2022
why's the neighbor guy holding a golf club behind his back, kinda sus
Apr 6, 6:40 PM

Nov 2021
Wow, went in with no expectations and that was a really damn good episode. The 3d animation really fits here and I like how expressive the characters are. Honestly liked this one quite a bit more than the Jellyfish anime from today
Apr 6, 6:57 PM

May 2015
I really wanted to like this but the visuals are just too distracting/off putting. Shame really
Apr 6, 8:44 PM
Dec 2016
CG looks pretty good, just like watching a game cutscene. The instrument playing looks spot on and clean as well and with the sponsors we actually get real instruments which is really cool. I cant believe there are 3 good band related anime in this past three years I feel like I'm spoiled. I really love all of their songs from the start so I hope more people will start listen to their songs now.
Apr 6, 9:10 PM

Mar 2023
Idk how everyone else feels, but I thought this was pretty adorable. I like how chill the first episode is. Despite being CGI, which I typically despise, I actually think the animation looks extremely good. If you don't pay attention to the background characters, I think the main characters move quite well—they're expressive—the art style's gouda. The dialogue felt pretty grounded. I can't think of any reason to rate the first episode lower than a 9/10—pretty high, I know. But to accurately assess the series, I'll need to see more episodes.
Apr 6, 9:50 PM

Nov 2023
At first, the animation was kinda throwing me off, but it grew on me. It's not that bad.

First impressions, I think it'll be good, but I need to see more.
Apr 7, 12:14 AM

Dec 2017
The lighting and backgrounds look a bit off in some places but the CG really helps with smooth movement and character expressions. Story's also a bit cheesy/overdramatic and pacing is a bit weird, but otherwise the show is OK, probably a 6/10 for now.
Apr 7, 12:38 AM

Oct 2019
Unlike most of you i watched this BECAUSE of the CGI

good anime cgi is rare and from the trailer, this seemed to have it.

Episode 1 was great. I feel like at some points the movement was a little wonky, but other than that, i liked it more than i thought i would.

that said, after blue giant, i dom't think there is going to be any anime performance that impresses me.

that shit raised the bar too damn high lol
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 7, 2:12 AM

Aug 2013
The MC seemed to embody the "If there is offense to be taken I will take it as such." stance.

Aside that it seems quite okay for its first episode.
Apr 7, 3:56 AM

Nov 2013
Loved their first song.

People shouldn't avoid this just because of CG, which is VERY good here!

Definitely watching more.
Apr 7, 6:34 AM

Jun 2016
not gonna lie !! this episode 1 is very promising and so gooodd to watch
Apr 7, 6:53 AM

Nov 2008
This is not at all what I thought it would be. THIS IS WAY BETTER.
Apr 7, 7:05 AM
Jun 2021
will probably watch til the end. I been waiting ever since the trailer/pv was announced and 1st ep doesn't disappoint, lets see how it goes

edit:
oh and i really liked momoka, i think shes gonna be my fav character of this anime. i mean, isn't she cool as heck?
1sun8Apr 7, 7:12 AM
Apr 7, 7:36 AM

Feb 2020
The whole episode felt like a video game cutscene (this is a compliment). It looks really nice!

Another girl band show for me to watch, I'm in. This'll do for now to fill my need for a Bocchi the rock season 2, hope this will be just as promising!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 7:37 AM
Apr 2022
I am surprised it's 3D? Like when playing video games. The movement okay enough. I will continue watch the episode 1
Apr 7, 8:10 AM

Mar 2024
i like the first episode.
even though i hate 3d anime, the animation in this series looks good and i really liked the characters, the atmosphere, the style and, of course, the music.
rock is not dead!

Apr 7, 10:20 AM

Dec 2015
Didn't really read any of the forums yet, but I can already hear weebs complaining about the CGI despite it looking good
Apr 7, 10:39 AM

Aug 2023
Ok this was fire I’m not gonna lie. The main girl has such perseverance so I am already into her. These songs had me bumping like god damn. I can’t wait for the full band to be assembled and to hear more music. Can’t wait for the next episode!
Apr 7, 11:21 AM
Tabibito-kun
May 2013
I actually thought this looks better than most CGI anime out there, especially when comparing this to Bang Dream's CGI. The expressions, fluidity, and environments looked pretty nice!
Apr 7, 5:17 PM

Aug 2015
Reply to Azukano
I actually thought this looks better than most CGI anime out there, especially when comparing this to Bang Dream's CGI. The expressions, fluidity, and environments looked pretty nice!
@Azukano Something cool that makes this even more interesting is the fact that the people playing these girls aren't even known VAs, they were literally brought together to create a band irl that would perform songs together while acting the roles in the anime. How cool is that??

Universal Music Japan announced they would initiate a new project which would combine animation with real band activity. In the same year, Agehasprings, with the assistance from Toei Animation and Universal Music Japan, held an audition called "Girl’s Rock Audition" for the vocalist, guitarist, bassist, drummer and keyboardist of the all-female band which would be the core of the project.[4][5]

An original anime project titled Girls Band Cry and produced by Toei Animation was later announced

So we're basically getting K-ON but the band actually exists for real. What a time to be alive. To be fair there was an anime about AKB48, but I feel like it's kind of different cause that group already established itself long before the anime got made, and the anime was made because the group is popular. In this case the anime will be people's introduction to these girls.
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Apr 7, 6:49 PM

May 2021
I had absolutely no intention of watching this anime like an hour ago. Watched the first episode and I am already hooked. I'm not one to usually try out 3DCG anime like this but it really didn't bother me at all. Matter of fact I actually liked it quite a bit. The music was good and the animation was pretty interesting to watch. I'm gonna keep track of this one casually and see if it turns out to be something.
Apr 8, 2:24 AM

Feb 2013
Reply to IzanaSolos
After the success of CloverWorks' Bocchi, it's no surprise that other studios would want to replicate that same success. The first to do so is none other than Toei Animation.

In March, at the age of 17, in her second year, Iseri Nina dropped out of high school and started living alone in Tokyo. It's a big city where she doesn't know anyone. She came here because she was inspired by a song she heard on the internet. At that moment, Nina meets a street musician playing that song.

Nina Iseri quits high school in her second year and sets her sights on entering a university while living alone in Tokyo. Betrayed by her friends, she feels lost and unsure of what to do. Another girl, abandoned by her parents, struggles to survive in the city through part-time jobs. The world constantly disappoints her, and nothing goes as planned. Yet, she yearns for something she can hold onto, believing there's a place where she belongs. That's why she sings.

Complain all you want about this being CG, but honestly, this premiere was pretty solid. I'm totally onboard for an emo Bocchi. Count me in!
@IzanaSolos this literally has nothing to do with bocchi. This project exists for 3 years already and it wouldn't be made after bocchi. Girl band is a real phenomenon in japan and exists for a decade, the anime that happen are based on this not on bocchi or any other anime
Apr 8, 2:35 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
This anime was oddly comforting. I don't want to say it was perfect, but it gave me a very comforting feeling. There were some points I'm not super fond of, but I feel like it's something I can watch every week as a nice relaxing treat. The animation has this really nice, soft, fluffy and bouncy feeling. It's really great to look at.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 8, 10:25 AM
Feb 2015
Was a bit sceptical, not because of the CGI but because of the premise in general knowing it's supposed to be this grungy angsty rock anime but tbh not a bad first episode, I think the thing that made me lol was seeing a gif of the MC flipping off with a smile but poor girl is so innocent 😂
Despite that she has a side to her that feels very teenage rebellion and you know she's a person who feels no one listens to her so it'll be interesting to see what happens
Will be funny reuniting with the Yoshinoya workers considering they will be part of the band too ahhahahahaha
Apr 8, 11:22 AM
Jan 2024
Very good and entertaining, just the last mic part and the fact that the other girl was hiding was a bit weird lol
Apr 8, 1:44 PM

Nov 2013
this might not have a good art/animation
parts of it might not even make sense

but as expected from the title/synopsis, this a really fun anime
deep story, fun interactions, nice music, cute girls
also, think i never saw so many middle finger shots in one episode LOL
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 8, 2:04 PM
Mar 2024
buen primer capitulo
Apr 8, 3:55 PM

Sep 2009
Damn, it is such a shame noone licensed it on English. And the only fansubs is some horrible meme MTL from reddit.
Nachtwandler_21Apr 9, 3:17 AM
Apr 8, 5:38 PM

Sep 2021
This was a great premiere! I love the little gags they added everywhere, but also the sweet part where the punker girl asked Nina if she was okay, even though they didn't get along before.

And the best part is the story between the girls, of course. Reminds me of Shiroi Suna no Aquatope (the first part, where it was still good) and Lycoris Recoil.

This show appealed to me in so many diffrent ways. I hope it stays on this level all season!
Apr 8, 6:40 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
A lot of people are going to immediately dismiss this anime because of ir being cgi and maybe the expressions coming off as a bit jarring but once you get past that you not only realize that it is well made but that the music rocks.

Seriously though, one episode and there's already two/three good rock tracks to jam to. Even the guitar beats between scenes were. And the humor, the character have more chemistry between them that some of the other shows I've seen recently combined. Sure, it has a lot of lucky and fateful events but I can let them slide as long as what they show is interesting and so far that's the case.

I only hope this doesn't turn out to be another Super Cub.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Apr 8, 6:47 PM

Jun 2015
Reply to rasterman7
A lot of people are going to immediately dismiss this anime because of ir being cgi and maybe the expressions coming off as a bit jarring but once you get past that you not only realize that it is well made but that the music rocks.

Seriously though, one episode and there's already two/three good rock tracks to jam to. Even the guitar beats between scenes were. And the humor, the character have more chemistry between them that some of the other shows I've seen recently combined. Sure, it has a lot of lucky and fateful events but I can let them slide as long as what they show is interesting and so far that's the case.

@rasterman7 Check out their yt. They already have many songs before the anime's release.
Apr 8, 7:24 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Reply to NameLess_NEET
@rasterman7 Check out their yt. They already have many songs before the anime's release.
@NameLess_NEET Will do, thanks
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Apr 8, 7:34 PM
Apr 2020
Reply to rasterman7

@rasterman7

rasterman7 said:

In what sense?
Apr 9, 2:51 AM

May 2018
The CG looks better than I expected tbh. Smoother and more natural than MYGO from the previous year.

Just hopefully the shows give us something unique like MYGO and Bocchi, not another bland and generic band anime
Apr 9, 4:02 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Reply to Romax24245
@rasterman7

rasterman7 said:

In what sense?
@Romax24245 In the sense of having all the elements to be good but ending up disappointing. In that series case it had good animation, soundtrack and a mysterious main character whose story they could have focused on but instead the approach was way off and without spoiling the dialogue ended up being mindnumblingly bad. Here, the only iffy things in one episode are the quick pacing and some uncanny expressions so as long as nothing goes wrong this shouldn't be the case.
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 7

54 by TohruBestDragon »»
Yesterday, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - May 24

100 by MugetsuJay »»
Jun 12, 9:47 AM

» Ia it true

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Jun 11

16 by Fail_Man_X »»
Jun 12, 8:09 AM

» More music like this?

Tonnar - Jun 1

8 by Mang_David »»
Jun 12, 2:27 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 19

58 by Seansy »»
Jun 11, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.