Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 29, 2023 3:23 AM

Dec 2018
That was a beautiful episode. I never though I would have liked this show but it's great so far. I also like how the episodes are complete, no real nail biting cliffhangers which have been severely overused lately in anime.
Oct 29, 2023 10:28 AM

Jul 2021
Man that was true love at the end.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Oct 30, 2023 6:45 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Marmotzel
Looking at the preview for ep4.. the art and animation took a nose dive. I guess all the budget went into these 3 episodes
@Marmotzel sooo... have you seen ep4? what did you say again? "animation took a nose dive"? do you still stand by that lmao?

┌─❈❇❈─┐

└─❈❇❈─┘

Oct 31, 2023 4:32 AM
Sep 2021
Maomao solved this case with her own intelligence, and it was nice to see how it went well according to what she speculated.
Oct 31, 2023 1:45 PM
Sep 2021
Reply to Leysoh
@Marmotzel sooo... have you seen ep4? what did you say again? "animation took a nose dive"? do you still stand by that lmao?
@Leysoh I still do, yes. The animation seems totally different from the first 3 eps. From what I've read on other threads, it's not the same people who will animate the rest of the series
Oct 31, 2023 4:48 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Marmotzel
@Leysoh I still do, yes. The animation seems totally different from the first 3 eps. From what I've read on other threads, it's not the same people who will animate the rest of the series
@Marmotzel you can dislike the change of art style, i can understand that it can be off-putting for the average viewer, but you can't criticize the animation because it is literally objectively flawless. you have to distinguish that art style and animation ain't the same thing

also, you got it all wrong, it's just that this episode had a different director who has a very distinct and unique style. each ep has a different director, that's the case of most modern anime, but it doesn't mean that the art style is going to change each episode either

┌─❈❇❈─┐

└─❈❇❈─┘

Nov 2, 2023 9:26 AM

Jan 2017
I feel totally envious of that couple, but hell yeah...they fought real hard for their love to win so congrats to them...

"If love makes a woman beautiful, what kind of medicine would it make?" - Maomao
Nov 3, 2023 12:58 AM
Nov 2023
Such a masterpiece! I'm happy that the couple can be together at the end, also the insert song is very great.
Nov 3, 2023 10:44 PM

Oct 2023
This episode had a nice short story ending that hinted at and built off of over the course of this episode and the previous episode. Glad that Concubine Fuyou could be reunited with the one whom she loved before her days as the emperor's Concubine.
Nov 4, 2023 4:12 PM
Jun 2016
what a story was that!!! i love it!! very good the development itself, and the final conclusion was so good
Nov 5, 2023 7:39 PM
Feb 2021
3 episodes in, so far been an enjoyable ride. That said, the historical setting with eunuchs and enslaved servants and concubines really unsettled me.
".. corpses of low-ranking concubines who tried to escape.."
".. a mid-ranking concubine about to be gifted to a military officer.."
AGH I hate these barbaric people, I'm glad that Fulou managed to escape all that, fuck the emperor and his system. Thankfully, Mao Mao is surrounded by decent people: ladies-in-waiting pitying her, Gyokuyo and Jinshi, even the physician who in other works would've undermined her. I'm worried that as she rises in fame, unsavory bastards who exploit the system to acquire "property" will get to her, her supposed unattractiveness aside, or maybe she'll get caught up in the web of cloaks and daggers in this unfair world.
Nov 6, 2023 6:59 AM
Mar 2023
In the end the plot twist was not as tragic as I thought, it seemed like someone was going to jump from the top of the wall, but in reality it was Fuyou, who was doing her best to pretend that she was losing her mind since they were going to kill her. give away a soldier against his will, but Maomao, like a Conan detective, was able to read between the lines and linked this case to the one she witnessed in the past in the courtesans' house, where she only wanted to prevent the Emperor from touching her and to be able to achieve escaping with her beloved, a story that seemed like it was going to have a bad ending ended up having the best of them. Now we have to wait until next week to see what the Emperor of Maomao wants, although I assume it has to be something to help one of his concubines, I don't think he would be interested in her without even knowing her beyond the rumors still.
Nov 8, 2023 8:14 PM

Jul 2016
Wouldn't Maomao be fawning over Jinshi if she actually thought of him as a venomous caterpillar? Lmao

A ghost rumor that turned out to be a heartfelt love story wasn't what I expected but is very sweet nonetheless.
Nov 11, 2023 4:04 AM

Oct 2023
Really happy with the adaptation so far 3 episodes in. This episode had a nice simple but effective short story with a nice ending that made the episode very enjoyable to watch. Maomao is so precious, she's my best girl of the season. I love her.
Nov 11, 2023 1:37 PM

Nov 2023
That emperor has really good taste in women. Nothing more needs to be said. Lady Fuyou was so majestic dancing in the moonlight. She definitely has a big heart, if you catch my ddrift.
Nov 16, 2023 12:27 AM
Jan 2021
Awwwww the ending was so wholesome... I'm so happy for both of them
Nov 17, 2023 10:15 AM

Apr 2009
At least we got a happy ending after all that mysterious sleepwalking, whether it's real or she's just faking it.

Ohh was that the emperor himself in the end?
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Nov 17, 2023 1:19 PM

Jan 2022
Very sweet ending! I’m happy she was able to get the happiness she wanted from the start. A very wholesome episode! Mao Mao is so smart!
This never updates so that's cool
Nov 18, 2023 5:35 AM

Mar 2012
the emperor is underwhelming somehow.

i wonder if maomao will go through a kind of mahou shoujo transformation into a beautiful woman, considering the op...
Nov 23, 2023 12:52 AM

Oct 2019
Perhaps the best episode so far. I'm glad that concubine was freed.
Nov 25, 2023 9:54 AM

May 2020
another amazing episode

also, does anyone know the name of the insert that was used in this episode

Nov 27, 2023 3:38 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
That was a sad tale but then the ending was quite beautiful, if only short.
Binged up to ep3 in one go, not going further since I want to have stuff to watch for another time but first impressions are this anime lived up for the high expectations I had from it, been quite a few years since I wanted to read the manga, always said one day would, but then realized there was a source material even to that lol...

Maomao is as wonderful as I thought her to be, if not even more.
And that Opening is 10/10, such a smooth OP, the song is just amazing.

It is quite funny two of the top tier series (and manga), Kingdom and this, based on Chinese history both have such a focus and detail on the emperor's harem and its politics, from very different perspectives yes, but still fascinating to see.
Nov 27, 2023 10:17 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Lady Fuyou the ultimate escape artist

If it's one singular story with episodes ending in cliffhangers, waiting for it to finish airing and binge-watching it straight through like one entire movie I'd say is the more optimal viewing experience. But if it's more like an anthology, or a collection of stories, then watching it weekly will be just as good. Sure there's still probably an overarching narrative going on in the background, but with a show with "Diaries" in the title, it's mostly going to have self-contained stories in each episode or so. Maybe it's a bit too early to tell for us who aren't familiar with it, but it looks to be that way with how these episodes were so far. If that's the case, this will make for a great weekly watch until it finishes airing (let's see, 24 episodes, 8 out at the moment, so 16 left) 16 weeks from now. Idk how much source material there is, and if another season will be in production if there is more story to tell, but I can already feel the sad goodbyes and post-anime depression when this is all over.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 4, 2023 7:29 PM

Feb 2019
That was such a beautiful ending, and loved the insert song too.
Dec 11, 2023 2:30 PM

Feb 2013
This was my fav episode in a while. ♥
Dec 15, 2023 12:01 PM
Mar 2023
beautiful little tale :,)
Dec 16, 2023 7:44 AM
Nov 2018
The moment when Maomao talks about love and looks at her pinky sends shivers. Even though it would is a filler, what it meant will not be covered by this season, knowing what it meant shook me to the core and informs me that the group involved in this anime really cares and are fans of this series.
Dec 17, 2023 8:33 AM
Jul 2020
Cried of pure joy, what a beautiful episode.
Dec 17, 2023 6:02 PM
Jul 2017
see the show has elements of good writing, but it missed the landing. we had no reason to make that logical conclusion that shes acting crazy on purpose and she may know the soldier other than he was from the east as well

but it doesn't try to treat itself as a 200iq show like Moriarty the patriot
Dec 18, 2023 11:17 PM

May 2015
That was a nice little story. This anime is giving me Kino's Journey vibes which is good.
Dec 26, 2023 8:55 PM
Jun 2020
A good love story, love the animation rom the dancing and everything
Dec 29, 2023 9:35 AM

May 2019
Not only is Maomao knowledgeable with medicines, she is also all around intelligent with being able to figure out what was going on with concubine Fuyou. However, her talents have caused more attention being put on her and now it looks like the emperor is summoning her.
Dec 30, 2023 5:18 AM
May 2021
i be plottin every time maomao turns to a cat
Dec 30, 2023 5:49 PM

Aug 2022
I just loved the delighted expression Jinshi had while thinking about getting disgustingly looked down on by Maomao, as if he were some venomous caterpillar 🤣 Though, truth be told, I'd be surprised if Maomao didn't look at him more lovingly... because he does resemble a venomous caterpillar 🤣

But seriously, I loved Fuyou's story. She worked so hard and played the long con just to be with her true love. 🥹 I'm glad it all worked out in the end for those two. 🥹 It's literally a love story where neither character has a single line, but it still works. Excellent storytelling! ❤️

And Maomao, such a charismatic MC! I love how even in normal conversation with people she likes, Maomao still sounds deadpan 😂 Like she's always exasperated. 😂 Her reactions and mannerisms are too funny! Even her 'proper etiquette' seems halfhearted and more like a chore she has to put up with 😂

And now it looks like she'll be getting a royal summons next episode! 👀🍿
Jan 3, 9:39 AM
Jul 2021
I dunno what the plot forgot haha but i saw until eps 12 it all was very great!
Jan 8, 8:28 PM

Aug 2013
Idk why but I'm finding the backgrounds really boring. Maybe it's because so many of them are empty.
Jan 10, 5:48 AM
Apr 2023
i love this story. brilliant
Jan 14, 3:25 AM

Aug 2022
This episode was sooo beautiful!! The moonlight dance rocks!
Jan 14, 12:36 PM

Jun 2014
So, the "sleepwalker" wasn't Jinshi, lol.

Fuyou will hopefully be happier, now that she's with the person she loves the most.

Jan 16, 4:12 AM
Oct 2020
After being burntout by the Anime medium for almost a year, watching apothecary's diaries is very refreshing and rejuvenating. As a history connoisseur the accurate depiction of female hierarchy and creating strong female characters is applaudable. while in the west the fightback against sexism is done by rebelling against the system here we see the woman fight back through the system and this is episode is a perfect example. not that one's better than the other its just a breathe of fresh air. and the animation solid crack MORE POISON GOBBLING QUEENS NEEDED!!!!
Jan 17, 4:12 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow so it wasn't somnambulism but a strategy to be preserved and to by bought by her lover half the price, I didn't expect that at all but it's clever
Jan 27, 4:43 PM

Jul 2023
Nothing serious happened this episode. Perhaps something serious will take place next.

But Lady Fuyou and the military's officer is lovely. They had almost no speaking lines but the montage says it all.

I wonder why the Mistress says she's envious of Lady Fuyou. There must be some backstory to it.
Feb 4, 11:16 AM

Sep 2014
I mean yeah, why would you want to be trapped in a place against your will? Not even considering the whole concubine thing..
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 5, 7:20 PM
Aug 2016
One of the best love stories I've experienced, and the two lovers never spoke a word the entire episode
Feb 10, 2:22 AM

Jan 2021
I felt something for characters that I don't know a shit....

THE POWER OF GOOD WRITTING

Feb 20, 9:47 PM

Mar 2010
Tears in my eyes bro. Episode 3 and it's already a 10/10 for me.
Feb 21, 12:33 PM
Jul 2023
If love makes a person beautiful, what medicine would it be?
Feb 25, 11:21 AM
Jun 2016
I thought this episode was really beautiful
Feb 25, 6:05 PM
Feb 2023
the mystery behind the concubine and her love for the officer was actually so wholesome and intriguing, loved the episode
Feb 26, 11:25 PM

Oct 2013
Very cute love story with a happy ending. All of that surrounded by gorgeous visuals and music. Lovely.

Hoho, was it the emperor himself at the end of this episode? Maomao is about to get an important task, haha.
AdnashFeb 26, 11:29 PM
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Does this ever get good? ( 1 2 )

El_Jiro - Jun 13

65 by BetaMaleUltra »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

205 by LotteGiants »»
Jun 13, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

90 by grandy_UiD »»
Jun 13, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Nov 4, 2023

158 by Anshika_Sh »»
Jun 10, 10:36 AM

» What year does apothecary diary takes place?

hercules28 - Apr 12

5 by bryanyuchen »»
Jun 9, 10:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.