Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 18, 6:01 PM

May 2019
The anime is nice, but the start of the plot with the "kidnapped, whatever, who cares (i hated my family?)” really bothered me.

And as people said, in the light novel her pre-kidnap story is even shorter and meaningless. Wtf, she is a [apothecary] cause of that life.

Weird choice by the author. 2/5

Hope it gets better.
Feb 25, 3:36 PM
Feb 2023
pretty interesting and funny! I also love the artstyle
Feb 25, 11:16 PM

Oct 2013
Gorgeous visuals and music and absolutely interesting premise! After so good first episode I can easily tell that this series is definitely worth watching. Its announcement already looked great, but ep. 1 has exceeded all my expectations, haha. Not to forget about how brilliant is the opening theme. Same with the ending one.
AdnashFeb 25, 11:26 PM
Feb 29, 2:03 AM
May 2019
It was a strong first episode. The animation and sound mixing were tight and maomao’s intriguing personality was captivating
Mar 14, 1:07 PM
May 2014
The episode left me feeling confused by how quickly she just accepted her capture and new life. No mention of wanting to go back to her old life or her father? Seems so rushed and strange. Otherwise enjoyable.
Mar 22, 3:04 AM

Jun 2020
I have been waiting to watch this since it was announced I’m so glad I can binge it now!

Probably the most convoluted setup I’ve ever seen for a show, lol. Still the anime is gorgeous and the characters seem fun. Excited to see where it goes from here.

Mar 29, 5:16 AM
Jan 2022
masterpiece series!!!
this series solo FMABSHIT
Apr 7, 8:55 AM

Jul 2013
I just finished Frieren a few hours ago, it was a solid 9 for me, but one thing I noticed comparing that to this one is that the visuals here are very detailed and overall more pleasing to the eyes. Anyway, why didn't Maomao ask for freedom? After all she's there against her will. Maybe being there isn't so bad? Even though she constantly talks about being beheaded and all that.
Apr 9, 3:44 AM
Apr 2024
Uuuuhhh uuhgh juggh ugfvhhg hygggh hhh
Apr 13, 8:10 PM

Feb 2019
Maomao's blasé attitude is very refreshing, IMO. She didn't want to stand out, and yet her curiosity made her end up standing out instead of remaining a wallflower lol
May 5, 8:26 PM
Aug 2023
Wow, they really glossed over the kidnapping and enslavement as if it was no big deal...but I guess they had to do that to keep the tone light hearted. I mean it gets kind of depressing when you think how many "servants" there got kidnapped, she said there's 2000 concubines and servants, and 1000 eunuchs. The guys alone, that's a lot of dudes missing their junk.

Anyways, best not to dwell on it. This was a pretty good first episode, the MC is pretty likable. I'm not sure what direction this is going to go in.
May 6, 3:38 PM
Apr 2024
This is a very calm anime. The fact that the male love interest is a eunuch makes it very different and interesting compared to normal anime romances. There is no tension of "when will they hook up", because, well, they can't! They can never hook up, there is no hook! This is an intriguing premise that we haven't seen before.

A very different type of "harem" anime, it's from the utilitarian point of view of a literate Chinese female servant with experience as a lower class pharmacist working at the harem of the Chinese emperor. As an anime that takes place in China, it's messages are far more in line with stereotypically Chinese values than Japanese, considering it's emphasis on feminism, criticism of tradition and telling the story from the point of view of the lower class. It's telling the harem story from the point of view of the servant, the concubine and the eunuch as opposed to the point of view of the Emperor, who is the master of the harem.

The values of this Japanese anime set in China are distinctly Chinese, and focus on promotions, careers, the supremacy of science over fantasy, and centres the point of view of of conspiring women looking to secure and fortify their utilitarian existence and the existence of eunuchs in a harem, as opposed to the conventionally Japanese values of most anime which focus more on romance, sex, raw power, beauty and usually centre the male point of view.
May 16, 7:30 PM
Jan 2022
Interesting and different
May 26, 6:35 PM
Apr 2024
scrumptiousssss
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Does this ever get good?

El_Jiro - 5 hours ago

33 by Hacker075 »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

205 by LotteGiants »»
Today, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

90 by grandy_UiD »»
Today, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Nov 4, 2023

158 by Anshika_Sh »»
Jun 10, 10:36 AM

» What year does apothecary diary takes place?

hercules28 - Apr 12

5 by bryanyuchen »»
Jun 9, 10:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.