Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Mar 26, 12:00 AM
Jan 2023
Here's one thing I absolutely love about this anime, The depiction of demons. Many anime (not implying that those anime are bad, they are great in their own way) Overcomplicate their nature and oftentimes make them sympathetic, but this anime ain't afraid to make them cruel and true to their intended nature, predators of humans.
Mar 26, 7:24 AM
Mar 2018
This episode was captivating to say the least!

I love the demon lore; that flashback was brutal. Can't wait to see Frieren kick some ass, her last line was so badass!
Mar 27, 10:35 AM

Jul 2017
What a great episode.

The lesson we learned is to never sympathize with demons in this world.
Mar 28, 9:01 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to erikkamirs
Sensing a lot of anti-demon settlement around here...

In seriousness, one of the fascinating points of the manga was their cutthroat depiction of demons. These guys are not human or even human-like.

Also one of the demons reminds me of Johan Liebert from Monster.

@erikkamirs Good catch. While reading the manga I had no chance of making this connection, but now I just finished watching Monster before starting anime-Frieren and when Lugner appeared i had flashbacks. They are almost the same - cold, emotionless, scheming and murderous.
Candies:
Mar 28, 4:06 PM

May 2021
Bros dead next episode đź’€
Inhales oxygen
Mar 28, 7:41 PM
Apr 2020
Absolutely vile how demons use language, but it's such a good way to show how ruthless they are
Mar 30, 2:59 PM
Aug 2016
On the 1 side, its clear that this anime is different to others, in the sense that there is no possible co-living between species, in this case, demons and humans.

Also, one could argue that the human, finally not killing the demon, is too idealistic. A warrior that has fought a lot, has lost a son and has the determination to grab the demons and kill them, then rejects because he is convinced by them?? On the other side, i truly believe he could do so, if tried. @RobertBobert thinks the same it seems. Didnt catch the part of "does not have the best timing, though"

Wanna see the fight between the Elf and the Demon!!! And hoping on a more close relation between both students.

@BitChilly It showcases that even though it’s hardly any time for Frieren, its perception is different in the eyes of humanity and in the case of the town, they can continue celebrating the legacy of the party. True, the next question from Frieren was, it will continue after 1000 years? For one side, the anime does well on highlighting this difference, however, doing repeatedly is kinda boring. We know already!

That’s already an example of the capability of demon : I mean, he is to be one of top demons, i guess not all demons are like that. If all demons are like that, there has to be powerful reasons for them to not dominate the world. On the other hand, though the explanation of how demons started talking, one can not oversee that evolution is the key, so what was useful and important to explain things 100 years ago, might not be true afterwards. I hope this is not the case, as Frieren has it very clear, and the example that they showed us, wasnt when she was starting to life, but with the Hero Party, so 80 years ago.

Mar 30, 3:17 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to BaronLukis
On the 1 side, its clear that this anime is different to others, in the sense that there is no possible co-living between species, in this case, demons and humans.

Also, one could argue that the human, finally not killing the demon, is too idealistic. A warrior that has fought a lot, has lost a son and has the determination to grab the demons and kill them, then rejects because he is convinced by them?? On the other side, i truly believe he could do so, if tried. @RobertBobert thinks the same it seems. Didnt catch the part of "does not have the best timing, though"

Wanna see the fight between the Elf and the Demon!!! And hoping on a more close relation between both students.

@BitChilly It showcases that even though it’s hardly any time for Frieren, its perception is different in the eyes of humanity and in the case of the town, they can continue celebrating the legacy of the party. True, the next question from Frieren was, it will continue after 1000 years? For one side, the anime does well on highlighting this difference, however, doing repeatedly is kinda boring. We know already!

That’s already an example of the capability of demon : I mean, he is to be one of top demons, i guess not all demons are like that. If all demons are like that, there has to be powerful reasons for them to not dominate the world. On the other hand, though the explanation of how demons started talking, one can not oversee that evolution is the key, so what was useful and important to explain things 100 years ago, might not be true afterwards. I hope this is not the case, as Frieren has it very clear, and the example that they showed us, wasnt when she was starting to life, but with the Hero Party, so 80 years ago.

@BaronLukis I wanted to say that 2020s is not the best time to imply that other nations are only pretending to want peace and in fact allegedly want to cynically kill you without having a “soul.”
Mar 30, 3:25 PM
Aug 2016
Reply to RobertBobert
@BaronLukis I wanted to say that 2020s is not the best time to imply that other nations are only pretending to want peace and in fact allegedly want to cynically kill you without having a “soul.”
@RobertBobert Hhahah totally agree, thought this is a constant in warfare history, or history in general hehe
Mar 30, 3:31 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to BaronLukis
@RobertBobert Hhahah totally agree, thought this is a constant in warfare history, or history in general hehe
@BaronLukis Well, I'm more than sure that the author did not mean anything xenophobic and this is just a contrast to demonstrate the importance of empathy and love for one's neighbor. It's just that out of context in this day and age it might sound a little ambiguous, if you know what I mean.
Mar 31, 11:06 AM
Jan 2023
Jalan cerita yang luar biasa, saya sangat menyukainya, cerita yang ringan
Mar 31, 9:26 PM

Jul 2013
Fuck yeah man now we're getting somewhere. I knew things will get exciting now that they're in the northern lands. Also, gotta give props to Himmel. My man is long dead and only shows during flashbacks but he always says some profound shit.
Apr 3, 3:24 PM
Mar 2024
Calm and Cool story
Apr 11, 11:17 PM
Aug 2023
I totally didn't fall for the demon's peace envoy's platitudes of peace, and I thought the village chief in the flashback was stupid for his "we'd be no better than them" speech while choosing to welcome the demon girl in when one of their own was eaten, and the grieving parents was right there upset. That said, I actually believe the demon girl was being truthful of wanting to only live in peace, and only had good intentions when killing the chief and offering his daughter to the parents as a replacement. If her intentions were actually bad, it makes no sense why she would even do her messed up plan rather than doing nothing since she was already accepted in. I think what went wrong was the chief and his daughter treated her as a human, thinking welcoming her in and playing with her and such would be enough to teach her morality and what's necessary to live with the humans; whereas what they should have done was tried to understand how she was not human, then appropriately tell her the laws, rules, and expectations for her to be able to live together with the humans. I think that would have succeeded. As for the using of the word "mommy" which is made to look so nefarious when the demon girl says it and explains it, she just thinks the word "mommy" means "mercy". Just substitute "mercy" in for anytime she said "mommy", and her pleas still makes sense but without the misunderstanding and sense of deception.

As for Frieren's strong negative views on the demons, I'm not going to say she's wrong because she isn't totally. However I think with enough passage of time, the demons could evolve to make her current views obsolete...if the correct demons were allowed to multiple (like the demon girl who seemed to have genuine good intentions), and the problem demons like the "peace envoy" were eliminated. This could be a similar situation as the killing magic spell becoming obsolete in a mere 80 years with the rapid advancement in magical research. The demons just need rapid evolution like the domestication of the Silver Foxes through selective breeding.

Anyways, the only other thing I want to comment on is Fern. I'm really starting to dislike her, she being unfairly mean to Stark, and she's being the "negative Nancy" to Frieren now with how she's making a big deal with Frieren waking up early, and expecting the worse of Frieren going to make Stark pay for calling her an old hag, but it turning out like Frieren let that slide. I know it looks like they're setting up a ship between Stark and Fern, but I really hope that doesn't happen. Not only is it trope-y, but Fern's horrible for Stark because of her bad attitude, and what seems like she's being unable to adapt to new developments.

This maybe a big curveball, but I actually think the ship of Stark and Frieren maybe better. It's not as impossible as it looks, Stark seems to be a combination of Eisen and Himmel. Frieren understands Eisen, which is why she understood Stark being afraid of the dragon, and didn't hold that against him. However in contrast Fern seem to hold Stark's perceived cowardice against him. Look at how Frieren praised Stark after he defeated the dragon, it was quite a lot from her, and she was very emotionally expressive when she did so, going so far to pat him on the side with her arm. Stark said Eisen never praised him even once, it was something he felt like he deserved or desired, and here's Frieren doing it. Also Frieren says she collects magic because she was praised once for it "by a fool", was that fool Himmel? Regardless, Frieren understands Stark a lot. There's also a sense that Himmel wanted a ship with Frieren but Frieren wasn't capable of recognizing it or reciprocating it back then. It could even explain why during Himmel's funeral the public was so harsh in judging Frieren for not showing emotions, that maybe Himmel tried to court Frieren and it's common knowledge to the public, but not to us the audience yet. This whole trip of speak to Himmel's soul could be a journey for Frieren to learn to understand what she couldn't with her original party, and while it's took late for her original party, it's not too late for her current party. Therefore I think Stark x Frieren could be possible. It would be a lot more interesting than the boring expected Stark x Fern ship anyways.
Apr 14, 1:24 AM
Dec 2022
the modern animes always have to be meme potential and i dont like it. Faces, Fanservice, make drama but not worth to be and than the managa artist 100% knew when he makes the face of her he will get dick ride and everyone will give alone for that 10* meanwhile other animes dont need such that and get droppped why? Humans need something like subway surfers to watch a video with more than 10sec to watch it until end, im happy to was alive when animes dont needed Subway surfers stuff :)
Apr 15, 9:25 AM
Aug 2014
Best episode so far
Apr 17, 12:19 AM
Oct 2022
Her mentor invented human magic. living long enough for memories to become myth. Demons are changing the terrain. Elfs are rare. She never gets horned. The demon’s weren’t even fully defeated. Statues are memories of stone. Vistrian tent as usual. She is overpowered by one soldier. You only communicate with lies. She is fine with chilling for 2-3 years. They don’t even put the murderer in jail. Demons are not intelligent. The human decides to not use a surprise attack but to surprise monologue. What is a father? Who can say. The demons are showing that learning the language also allows them to communicate with each other and work together, and is not exclusively for tricking prey. There is one drop of blood in his head. Stronger than your leader. It has gotten slightly more interesting.
Apr 17, 9:14 AM
Aug 2020
The introduction to these new vilians are really cool. I like that they pretend to be good and stuff, once a demon always a demon shit like that. Very cool stuff. Seeing Frieren angry ASAP was also coooool.
Apr 19, 12:29 PM
Apr 2022
Damn, this is definitely Frieren Al-Gaib!!
Apr 20, 9:03 AM

Feb 2021
She just declare herself much stronger than them XD
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 4, 4:08 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
F*ck yeah that last line is cold.

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 5, 11:15 AM
Dec 2023
"stronger than aura" was cold frfr
May 7, 11:10 AM

Apr 2013
I feel like Fern is only acting polite on the surface, but Stark sometimes brings out her true and harsh self lol
Guess we'll eventually see another elf in this season, which would be a special occasion even for Frieren. Seems like humans do need elves around to see the true nature of demons, lies and perception.
May 8, 5:25 PM

Nov 2023
In Eisen's long thousands of years life, he values the decade year of adventure with the Heroes' party. That's so amazing tbh. Looks like they got formally allowed to go through the gate, and Frieren doesn't like that thing. Same!
May 8, 6:32 PM
Apr 2024
An anime that deserves the highest rating
May 11, 5:49 PM

Jul 2021
Clearing out the landslide for the the travling merchant and the future ones to come was kind of Frieren and them. The little town with the statues of the Heroes was an interesting place and it was nice to see the people of the town still celebrating the heroes. Frieren asking that man if they would still celebrate the victory of the Heroes in 100 years was an interesting topic and it made me wonder how long they would celebrate the victory. I personally hope its forever as i love Himmel and i wanna see more of him in flashbacks.

The town with the deomns was quite fascinating and it had me quite confused when the guard stopped Frieren from attacking. Frieren being locked has me worried and that demon pulling up at the end has me even more worried.

The scene with the King talking about how his son died to the demons and how he was gonna enact revenge had me hyped, i personally really like the king and its tragic he was fooled by the demons.

The flashback with the demon child and the town of people was quite cool and seeing Himmel slice off her hand in one quick motion was quite cool and Frieren finishing her off.

May 12, 8:15 PM
Jan 2022
Amazing just amazing
May 20, 7:07 AM

Oct 2015
Never trust a Johan Liebert lookalike demon.
May 22, 6:02 AM
May 2020
Reply to A-Critical-Otaku
I think the whole message the anime brings about the demons is the following:
"Dont have empathy, some people are just evil, and need to be destroyed", which is okay.
But when you bring this representating a race, where everyone is born evil, this matches very well some kinds of f@sc1st thinking of dehumanization of entire groups of people. It really worried me seeing this in this anime. We are seeing this way of thinking right now about Palestinians by Zionists. And Japan has an history of doing this against many peoples, specially Koreans and Chinese people, so dont tell me "I'm bringuing bias from the western thinking". No, this worry me specially because I know Japan's f@sc1sm history.
@A-Critical-Otaku But that is the thing. This episode is a perfect allegory for Palestine. They are taught to be terrorists and kill Jews from the time they are children, and they are good at emotional manipulation on those who are not as knowledgeable at history. After a violent attack where they take hostages, they come negotiate peace. They have even convinced a lot of Westerners to be racist against Jews, which I did not think I would see in my lifetime.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» When will S2 happen ;__;

FrierenSimpKing - May 29

35 by Scyon »»
9 hours ago

» Is Himmel a Manic Pixie Dream Boy?

Moonshine_cookie - Yesterday

15 by Mdraj6996 »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2023

333 by haminshamin »»
Yesterday, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 2

273 by Arxanum »»
Yesterday, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2023

232 by Vindicater »»
May 31, 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.