Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jul 1, 2013 4:33 PM

Jun 2012
Still a better love story than twilight....
Jul 1, 2013 4:38 PM

Jul 2011
_retro_reactive said:
Still a better love story than twilight....

better than Hyouka for sure
Jul 2, 2013 1:07 AM

Jun 2012
hyouka hyouka....name rings a bell.....hmmmm oh that's an anime right?
Jul 2, 2013 6:27 AM

Jul 2011
_retro_reactive said:

it's a theater show
Jul 2, 2013 10:29 PM

Nov 2012
lol XD so.. the weird novelist is a funny guy? XD lol XD

btw nako looks so sexy after saving this novelist XD

and my favorite of all... XD

Jul 2, 2013 11:23 PM

Jun 2012
ainky said:
_retro_reactive said:

it's a theater show

there's an anime called hyouka
Oct 13, 2013 11:45 AM

Dec 2012
I dislike that the show tried to make us sympathize with a possible pedophile leecher who fucking kidnaps people.
The grandmother says "she's the spitting image of Satsuki", I guess that means Satsuki wasn't always a terrible slob of a mother.
Nov 3, 2013 12:06 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
They let the "novelist" get off quite lightly if you ask me. I can imagine lengthy prison sentences in many countries for that kind of thing.

The sudden yuri fantasy scenes were completely unexpected. Count me a fan!

I like this show a lot so far. I hope it can keep it up throughout the 26 episodes.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 26, 2013 7:06 AM

May 2008
Kapapapa! Fluid animation! Especially the swimming part.
Feb 10, 2014 8:02 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Fan service episode along with resolving drama as well.

I'd say it was an ok episode, enjoyed the short speed chase as well.

Jul 19, 2014 2:21 PM

Dec 2012
"I want to sparkle!" and "Balut!" This series strangely blends hilarity with slice of life moments well. The meaning behind the revenge meal is sweet and I'm glad that carried over from last episode at the end. This is an outrageous and wacky show but it's so much fun so far and there's a method behind the madness.
Sep 8, 2014 6:42 PM

Jul 2014
the hentai writer was frickin hilarious
Feb 10, 2015 8:25 PM

Nov 2014
Cloudenvy said:
Alex_Saxon said:
That was kind of an awkward episode, really seemed to kill the good atmosphere which had been built up. It had it's funny moments, but the fanservice felt really out of place.

This, this, a thousand times this.

Very little of what I liked about the previous two episodes seemed to be present this week, so colour me extremely disappointed.

I can't believe that this is the show that finally made me create an account on MAL.

This... Way to ruin a great show. Hopefully there aren't more episodes like this.
Mar 14, 2015 8:23 PM

Jun 2013
Another wonderful episode :)
Jul 8, 2015 12:35 PM

Jul 2012
I was surprised Ohana was so calm when the guy tied her up. He could've raped you, ya know 😱 Beanman was ready to be tied up though ;D

Nako when she said she had to save her stomach for the taros was cute. And she saved a life! She seems to be a bit more confident by the end also. Plus points for her.

Ohana with the slap!
She put so much spinach in that bowl 😂 And she was so happy when Minko ate it. I love her personality 😊

How Minko arrived at balut was cute :) And I thought she was doing her hw in the last episode! I'm looking forward to hearing her use it throughout the rest of the show haha.

All of the girls got some development this episode! The end was so heartwarming with the notebook and the Ko text ☺ I love this show!
Aug 3, 2015 10:51 AM

Jul 2014
Hot damn Nako with her hair down
lol balut is a creative insult I'll give Minko that
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 1, 2015 5:56 PM

Apr 2014
it was going great until this episode. strongly considering dropping this anime. i can't believe they tried to make us feel bad for some creepy writer who writes erotic novels about underage girls

i'll watch a couple more episodes and see if it gets better
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2015 3:56 PM

Oct 2012
Pretty fun episode, but ultimately I agree with the guy above me. How the hell were we meant to feel sorry for him? What were they thinking.
Nov 16, 2015 3:24 PM

Apr 2009
What the hell? This episode took a turn. Seeing Ohana tied up made me a bit uncomfortable. She's underage for goodness sake and the whole scene is treated so lightly. It just looked wrong and also the fan service is out of place for me. I was expecting this to be a slice of life series with some drama and interesting character development.
Jan 16, 2016 8:39 AM

Sep 2014
That novelists was quite funny. But I'm disappointed with Fan service. It was completely unnecessary. This Anime is alot better without it.
Feb 7, 2016 12:53 AM

Apr 2014
What's with all the creepy fan-service of teenage girls all of a sudden? :/ I was loving this anime so far, but this weird episode came out of nowhere.

I'm pretty sure if a creepy older dude wrote an erotic story about teenage girls, then proceeded to tie one up, he'd go to jail. Why was he pardoned, as well as painted a sympathetic, comedy character? In such a warm, casual way too.

DawningFogFeb 7, 2016 1:03 AM
Feb 15, 2016 6:05 AM
Jul 2014
Wow, it quickly went from cute and innocent to erotic!!!
Feb 15, 2016 6:06 AM
Jul 2014
Wow, it quickly went from cute and innocent to erotic!!! I would never guess from PG-13 rating!
May 17, 2016 11:49 PM
Apr 2015
Malestel said:
Why?????
This ep just smashed what the previous 2 managed to build up. Useless fanservice can be found in every other anime, there should be no need to put it into something like this. Maybe they just didn't know how to follow up, seeing as this is an original production.

Would be nice if it went back to coming of age drama, and didn't go down the comedy/fanservice route.

There is no such thing as useless fanservice.
Jun 27, 2016 2:53 PM
Jan 2012
hahha this writer very hentai guy.
Liked nakio in this episode.
That's beautiful final of episode,Ohana have great heart.
Aug 22, 2016 9:34 PM

Aug 2015
Kek too many people here in this discussion being gay because of fanservice smh

As for me, I'm really glad that they referenced "balut" in this ep since it's a local street food there in my country but the way they pronounced it (hobiron) was Vietnamese though. Kinda harsh though "smelly and ugly, disgusting" but as balut says there's still "nourishment" deep down ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), still miles better than being jinxed to die just like in the previous ep lol

I still don't understand why is Ohana so oblivious when it comes to things like you know ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) getting bandaged like that or rubbing your mop into your...........
I would love to read that novel Jiroumaru I'm still hanging on that masterpiece
, need more ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Other than that shit, Nako slowly open up to Ohana, that dive was Olympic worthy though, Ohana finally realizing that "sparkle" in her life, Minchi still a shit to Ohana.
May 12, 2017 9:13 AM

Jun 2013
This episode. What the hell happened here?

The entire first half of this episode. It was like I had accidentally started to watch a different show altogether. Credit where it’s due; they exhibited an impressive level of commitment to this one joke.

But I’m willing to entertain the idea that I’m just looking at this all wrong. Maybe I still can't see why the seemingly stupid and clumsy execution is actually clever in some way. And after taking some time, trying to see things from Ohana's perspective, I think I understand her a little better. She seems inconsistent, but I found a way to phrase her perspective so that even her actions in this episode make sense, to a certain extent.

So yeah. Ohana, and the quest to find the hidden meaning in this story. These are the two reasons why I’ll keep watching. But this episode certainly reminded me that I always need to keep my expectations in check. And that I can like something as a whole, even if I disagree with some parts of it. I'd never be able to enjoy Monogatari otherwise, after all.

LeeTailorMay 12, 2017 9:31 AM
Jun 4, 2017 4:10 AM

Dec 2010
One of the most awkward anime in my book, but certainly not bad in any way.
Jun 27, 2017 9:33 AM

Sep 2015
Well that was absolutely ridiculous. I'm at a loss that we're supposed to like the pervert author dude now. I get he was just misunderstood. But he still kidnapped a young girl. And wrote erotic fantasies about her. And now the girls Grandma is just like, yeah fuck it let him live under the same roof as her? It's just...weird and kind of weak writing. At least from my Western Perspective but.

Anyways I did really like Ohana finally becoming friends with Nako and Minko. And even though it was kind of a forced joke. I thought it was cute that Minko came up with that complicated new insult nickname. Instead of just saying "Die" all the time, which was kind of mean. Nako has also finally been given some traits besides shy. She's an expert swimmer! Though as we see her heaving breasts, through her soaking wet white top. I was forced to think, of course. Of course PA Works most blatantly fan servicey anime would be a high school one. I hope this episode is a distinct early stumbling block. And it's not just all down hill from here.
Aug 26, 2017 2:29 PM

Jun 2015
Lol this episode was hilarious. The kidnapping situation could have been erotic creepy, but Ohana's totally calm reactions made it pretty funny xD And my man Jiromaru writing a steamy Yuri novel?! Hell yah, I'll buy that. Grandma sure handled that well, though. Then again, I guess she kind of knew from the beginning.

Looks like Nako and Ohana will get along just fine now. Minko is obviously gay for her a big tsundere, but hopefully she'll come around as well.

Great show so far ^_^
Sep 19, 2017 9:09 AM
May 2012
balut taste so good, though.
Nov 17, 2017 6:45 AM

Aug 2015
Bit of a disappointing episode, completely ruined the tone that was set in the previous episodes. I don't mind comic relief but I don't think it was executed well, if the shift in tone wasn't so jarring then it could have worked nicely. It wasn't entirely bad though, there was a great deal of development for the characters and it was nice to see that the grandma had expectations for Ohana.
Feb 13, 2018 6:43 AM

Jul 2015
Well, I didn't expect to see bondage when I started this anime, and god it was funny, Hanasaku Iroha somehow made this episode both hilarious and a great way to develop Ohana's character thanks to his ero works showing what she wanted (not in the lewd side, although she didn't seem bothered to get tied up... hehe) and also making get closer to Nako (dem swimming skills!) And Minko, who took a ton of effort to think about something else to say to Ohana instead of die, ayy.
Apr 30, 2018 3:49 PM
Dec 2014
This episode upsets the moralfaggies lol.

Good.
Dec 7, 2018 9:04 PM
Mar 2017
20:03 "Discipline is not imposed on force, but is guided by the right channel." hahahahahaha ... wait, I laugh more; ha ha ha ha ha ha... Do not you remember what you did in the first episode, old bitch?
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Dec 15, 2018 3:05 AM

Nov 2016
Whew, that escalated quickly.

But I'm glad that things were resolved peacefully, Jiroumaru even gets to work in the inn while granny is showing more and more of her caring and understanding side.

Love this show so far, it does so many things and all of them well, there's basically never a dull moment.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 23, 2019 10:13 PM

Jul 2016
Uhm, I don't know... I think there're better ways to portray Ohana's desire to "shine" rather than using a guy who writes erotic novels about 16 years old girls he barely knows. Yeah, that dude is rather disturbing and the way they tried to improve Ohana's character by using him was pretty lame too. I hope he doesn't receive more screentime in the next episodes.

Also, I won't complain about the fanservice in the bath but I think it's really unnecessary for this series. It just looks really out of place.

Overall, this episode was even worse than the previous ones although I have to say that the last minutes were a bit nice.
Oct 7, 2019 5:19 PM

Feb 2012
So lolicon author ends up working at an inn, what a creepy and strange first arc.

lol how he was half naked in a submissive position after his attempted suicide.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 14, 2020 3:53 AM

Jun 2017
this show is actually better when it's more implausible and silly, like a good chunk of this episode was.

because it's dogshit when it tries to be serious, like really bad
May 31, 2020 12:37 AM

Aug 2018
What just happened in this ep lol

This could be better if the novel that the writer makin was about non erotic stuff

Its just not feel right hes fantasizing the girls in the inn especially Ohana whos a 16 yr old girl lol

Oh well they didnt make it a big deal about it
They just want this guy to win in the contest and pay his debt.
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Jun 21, 2020 8:39 AM

Jul 2019
MC is a saint who could change people in the story (easy to tell from here), so it doesn't fit. Its corny rather than dramatic.
Mar 24, 2021 11:35 AM

Oct 2019
through my years of managing to avoid fucked up anime I am disgusted that I didn't miss out this one. 3 episodes in and boom we have a pedophile, no comment on his predatory acts, everyone saying it's okay you're a better writer than this.

see I expected fan-service to some degree but not this shit. not with people telling me that I should definitely watch this because it's a nice coming-of-age.

unrelated but I also can't believe this is rated PG-13.

May 22, 2021 11:13 AM
Oct 2016
After praising the previous episode quite a bit, it was disappointing to see such a mediocre one.
The fanservice is completely overdone and the character's reactions are not credible enough. The drama itself was bad and it tried to camouflage everything with it not taking itself too serious (humorous tone), but it's just a stupid way of trying to develop characters, show glimpses of some of them and it was also a very silly way of concluding what the first two episodes tried to build up.
Ohana's realisation was too direct, it seemed that the whole thing was setted up in way so it could be this expository.
Jun 16, 2021 6:29 AM

Jun 2020
Wait Woah hold on a second why is he tying up Ohana

I thought he was going to do something to her turns out Ohana didn't mind that much but this guy is something else, And now a chase scene what is this guy up to

Nako is a really good swimmer thankfully he was saved, Hobiron heh a new way of saying die? she really planned it out hating Ohana with a passion.
Jun 19, 2021 10:31 AM

Mar 2019
That's a way of saying "Die". Nice episode.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Oct 9, 2021 11:56 PM
Dec 2019
mmmh not a fan of this episode, the pedophilic acceptance rubs me the wrong way, even though they tried to give the guy his comeuppance it still didn’t feel right
4/10
Wataru doesn't care about the genuine thing
Oct 12, 2021 7:29 PM
Aug 2021
This is now pretty good. Hated how annoying Ohana was, but now these annoying characteristics of her makes sense and likable now. Guess that's how those other people in the inn felt. This hentai author arc is pretty good.
May 17, 2022 11:12 PM

Jul 2015
I don't know if a single episode has tanked my opinion of a show harder than this one
Jun 10, 2022 1:41 AM

Aug 2018
I agree with the statement above. The events in this episode were just too bizarre for a show that seemed relatively down to earth. I mean, come on what was up with Ohana's reaction to being kidnapped and tied up? Even for anime, that shit was just unbelievable.

Even aside from the weirdness, the cheese was layered on thick in this episode and it's now become pretty obvious what kind of story it's trying to tell. Ohana is going to change everyone's life for the better with her plucky, can-do attitude.

Oh yeah and none of these characters are likable in the slightest. According to the script, Ohana is wild, loud and quirky. Allegedly. But as far as I can tell she's a blank slate with no real personality at all.

Yeah I'm gonna call it quits here.

Sep 9, 2022 11:48 AM

Jun 2013
After the psycho grandmother, we have the perverted kidnapper. The characters aren't very likable in this series, are they?
What is the most strange is that no one in the show seems to find their acts wrong.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 25, 2011

328 by Jax »»
May 5, 12:11 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ImNotLulexiaa - Sep 18, 2011

110 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 11:08 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jrittmayer - Sep 11, 2011

120 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 10:40 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zimno - Sep 4, 2011

122 by Lazulite »»
Jan 10, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Aug 28, 2011

173 by Lazulite »»
Jan 10, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.