Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 8, 2011 12:49 AM

Nov 2009
This looks pretty cool so far! :O

& wow Merry's voice is a newcomer, and i'm liking her ! :3
Jan 8, 2011 12:49 AM

Sep 2009
Looks like an automatic watch for me. Seems like I end up watching a lot of J.C. Staff shows.
Jan 8, 2011 1:12 AM

Aug 2010
Pros:
-GREAT character designs
-Unique facial expressions, at least I haven't them before
-Somewhat interesting plot
-Good voice acting. I especially like Merry, freaky how much she sounds like Kirino.

Cons:
-Animation seems inconsistent, at times really good, at others not so much
-Strange plot WILL throw off some people, it's not really straightforward.

I like this series already, the next episode looks real interesting. Just hope they got the plot to back up the interesting visuals and good voice work.
Jan 8, 2011 1:16 AM

Jan 2010
For me, it feels pretty meh, sort of the same feeling I got when I was watching Shakugan no Shana.
I mean, WOW, nice conept.. but lol, pretty average anime. It's nothing too brilliant for me and all. Dropped.
I'd normally watch something like this, but I don't feel like watching alot this season.
Jan 8, 2011 1:22 AM
Jul 2010
I haven't watched something as interesting as this since Pandora Hearts. The story has an interesting concept and I like so far. And I agree that the synopsis on MAL doesn't do this anime any justice because I didn't expect it to be a really good episode.
Jan 8, 2011 1:42 AM

Nov 2007
not half bad for a season opener. the plot is weird, but might become another generic anime to fill my anime hours. lets see what happens in next few eps.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 8, 2011 3:04 AM

Aug 2008
It was actually pretty good ôO not too much information and still keeping the story going on - definitely going to follow this

“The impossible could not have happened, therefore the impossible must be possible in spite of appearances.” 
― Agatha Christie
Jan 8, 2011 4:13 AM
Mar 2010
nhà.... first episode reminds me some curious, but I haven't many expectatives.....
Merry seems good chara, but generally this anime don't shoot me, even so I will watch second episode, I want to give it a second chance......

next to 2nd ep
Jan 8, 2011 4:36 AM

Nov 2007
Different then I first thought it to be. In a good way ^^
Wonder how this will play out~
Jan 8, 2011 4:44 AM

May 2009
Eh, the VA for Merry is not the same as Kirino?! They sound exactly the same! Weird.

The dream world looked pretty awesome, but not awesome enough. For something I wasn't planning to watch, this turned out to be a rather pleasant surprise.
Jan 8, 2011 4:59 AM

Oct 2010
I found this amazingly mesmerizing and Merry is amazing! her facial expression, fighting style of Brazilian leg style and punches. Also Merry's body is third DFC I encountered so far. Eye wise very nice too. Yumeji on the other hand looks cool to keeps his cool at the best scene:
Loli falls on guy. Find it pretty neat Yumeji can see auras although only as circles.

Pretty sure this is a anime of fighting between dreams and reality where the dream world wants Yumeji or something from him. Chaser John Doe on the other hand rang Friday the 13th somehow. Also WTF is up with the girl at the end? Who is she? Anyways I got FLCL vibes partially from this.
Yumekichi11Jan 8, 2011 9:55 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 8, 2011 5:19 AM

Jun 2009
Interesting anime, many mysterious things going around, and it has a fine tempo going around, will properly watching next episode.

Jan 8, 2011 6:57 AM

Oct 2010
When I looked at the OP i really liked the art style and design of this story. The action shown during his dream chases were a little dull. You see tin cans rolling or fish bones in the sky but less of him actually running and hiding away.

Overall it was quite nice, hope to see more.
Jan 8, 2011 7:32 AM

Nov 2010
I like that the main character is easy going. Especially when it comes to his friends and Merry. I'm getting a little sick of "GIRL TOUCHED MY HAND?! AHHHHH SOOOOOO CRAZYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I don't see what some people are so confused about. I think this episode offered a decent amount of information.
Yumejii can see auras that help him predict people's dreams.
Merry Nightmare is stuck in the real world and wants to get back home.
John Doe and the cats are from the dream world. John Doe wants to enter the real world but he needs a vessel. That's why he's trying to posses Yumejii.

I don't think it's confusing at all, and of course, more information will be presented through the rest of the series. We're less than 30 minutes into it.
YukiteruJan 8, 2011 11:12 AM
Jan 8, 2011 7:34 AM

Nov 2010
I think I'm really gonna enjoy this anime!! It's really cool :3
Can't wait for the next episode!
Jan 8, 2011 8:24 AM

Jun 2010
I found it boring. It has some unique elements, yes, but time will show.
Jan 8, 2011 9:21 AM

Nov 2007
not that interesting so far. none of the characters made me care at all. I'll give it another shot but I don't know just nothing drew me in.
Jan 8, 2011 9:52 AM

May 2009
only put off so far is Merry's voice imo, but the VA is a newface so she could improve along the way :D all in all, a solid 1st episode that managed to draw me into the series, art is quite good, you just cant go wrong with JC ~w~ and i loved that OP. Could become one of my favorites for the season depending on how it develops :D i should read the manga...
Jan 8, 2011 11:21 AM

Mar 2009
Already liking the character designs.

The OP is awesome, the best I've seen of the season so far.

The animation is really nice especially the fight scene.

Seems fairly original, I think it could be something great, if executed well.

Didn't know what to expect coming in, but was pleasantly surprised.

And, I'm also glad there's no fanservice...+1

Will definitely continue this one, and this probably just determined dropping IS.

Wasn't sure on that one, but I'm already think of committing to at least 5 shows w/this one.

I still thought Madoka was better, but this should be fun.

Urahara Out!!
Jan 8, 2011 12:04 PM

Jan 2011
I'm really interested in all the characters, except for the one annoying guy with the blonde hair. I hope they get developed and don't just appear for no reason. Looking forward to the next episode!
Jan 8, 2011 4:45 PM
Jan 2011
I definitely like the art direction that they took.The storyline seems to be interesting too. I wrote a blog post abt it and want to write a first episode, impression/review here in MAL but my anime list is lagging.,..
Jan 8, 2011 7:55 PM

Nov 2008
Merry... is cute xDD This is interesting xDD gonna watch the whole series ^^

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jan 8, 2011 10:19 PM

Sep 2009
Wow, the actual content looks really good. I'm really surprised. I thought I'd just be seeing this show for the Merry, but looks like I'll actually be looking at the rest of the show.

Jan 8, 2011 10:38 PM

May 2008
This girl reminded me alot of Haruhi mehhhhi dont noe what im expecting of this show but ok i got some mild enjoyment from this

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jan 8, 2011 10:48 PM

Sep 2008
I think I'm in love with merry:)
Jan 8, 2011 11:18 PM

Jan 2011
Merry is delicious, but the series could go either way at this point, not having read the manga.
Jan 8, 2011 11:34 PM

Feb 2010
Interesting I guess, animation was pretty eh at times, and the fight wasn't that good.

I like the mains alot as well, defo. sticking with this for awhile.
Jan 8, 2011 11:39 PM

Jan 2010
Even though I understood pretty much nothing, this show looks like it's going to be one of those ones that won't live up to their full potential xD Anyway, great art and I love the OP... the story's premise seems really interesting, I hope they make this into something really good.
Jan 8, 2011 11:51 PM

Jan 2011
A2ZOMG said:
RyanSaotome said:
In my opinion this is just someone who looks way too hard to find faults with something. I just watched it to enjoy myself, not to critique, and I didn't notice any of that stuff. Maybe you'd enjoy anime more if you didn't have such a pessimistic attitude to try to find things bad about them?
To be frank, I found this show confusing and unclear, and the characters weren't interesting. They just were generally poorly introduced. What am I supposed to know about these characters after watching this episode? Frankly I don't remember anything, besides the fact there is a boy who has recurring dreams.

I'm usually a very optimistic viewer. I watch practically everything I pick up to completion with the assumption that shows can improve even if they start poorly. This doesn't change the fact that the first episode of this show was pretty lousy in several areas. Bad animation techniques, extremely abrupt scene transitions, and weak character introductions.

I agree that the real world side characters we're poorly introduced. I thought the guy carrying around a notepad talking like a poet was pretty damn lame. The brown-haired girl was very attractive, but the lack of any sort of introduction makes her nothing more than eye candy.
Jan 9, 2011 12:24 AM
Mar 2008
robotaku said:
Great first episode. Animation was very nice and the story is starting up nicely. This first episode is almost identical to the first volume of the manga, at least what I remember.
Merry is awesome and this show has a lot of potential.

Only thing is did anyone notice Merry's fighting stance? Whenever she lands she has her legs in that awkward, but cute, position. If anything I feel like that's a very painful and inefficient stance lol, but this is the anime world.

I did and thats what puzzles me,I'm not sure what her overall powers are,her attacks mainly consist of pretty cure style kicks and punches compared to most super natural protagonist like Yusuke uremeshi,Ichigo kurosaki,Maka and soul,which they get cool spiritual weapons or shooting energy blast.
Jan 9, 2011 2:26 AM

Feb 2008
This was weird as hell. Whoever came up with this show must have been smoking something.
Jan 9, 2011 3:15 AM

May 2010
1st time seen, not read books. 1st episode, very mysterious to me.

What is this? Great episode still.
"My happiness comes from the kindness of those around me"
Jan 9, 2011 4:07 AM

May 2010
quite interesting :D
i will wait for the next week :))
Jan 9, 2011 7:47 AM

Sep 2008
Why do people keep calling Merry a loli? She's flat as a washboard, but judgeing by her size in comparison to the rest of the cast she's got to be pretty deep into her teens. 16, 17. Not to mention her proportions in general aside from bust are that of a particularly tall adult, and not a child. She seems pretty far past the point that the loli label would apply.
Jan 9, 2011 9:32 AM

Nov 2010
Gangler said:
Why do people keep calling Merry a loli? She's flat as a washboard, but judgeing by her size in comparison to the rest of the cast she's got to be pretty deep into her teens. 16, 17. Not to mention her proportions in general aside from bust are that of a particularly tall adult, and not a child. She seems pretty far past the point that the loli label would apply.

My thoughts exactly.
Jan 9, 2011 10:51 AM

Jan 2008
Gangler said:

Because throwing the word 'Loli' is considered some sort of cool word to throw around, all in a point to diminish the quality of the anime. However, she has some loli... uh, physiques. But I guess I can call her 'under-developed'.

Also, I would say "An interesting anime. Will watch", but then I remember Shakagun No Shana.

If the first episode shows a very interesting premises of the other world, then you won't know fuck all about it. Because the series will take a turn into School Life territory, which frankly destroyed what was so interesting about the other world.

I hope Yumekui Merry doesn't fall into that trap.
Jan 9, 2011 1:48 PM

Oct 2010
Gangler said:
Sorry friend but IMO loli don't have to be short. As long a girl has DFC she is loli to me and IRL I would think that but would not tell that to the girl. :P You know who sometimes women think. Also Mina was 400 years old so age/appearance does not matter with. Yumekui can be very old in years since she always spends time in dreams
where time is eternal!
Veronin said:
This was weird as hell. Whoever came up with this show must have been smoking something.
Why not, it's about dreams and hallucinations. ;)

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 9, 2011 2:19 PM

Jul 2009
Merry's voice sounds familiar, but apparently she's a new seiyuu O_O
The music is awesome so far, OP and ED were both great but I liked the OP better. Art is good too (the fight was awesome XD), so far I'm pretty interested in the rest of the series :D
Hope it keeps up nicely :D
Jan 9, 2011 5:13 PM

Oct 2007
To not seen any pantsu with that cloth design for a entire episode, that is beyond my expectation. Please keep it low like this.

As long as they don't go into "I am awesome so I will make my own original materials." I am happy.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jan 9, 2011 6:40 PM

Aug 2008
This show reminded me very much of pandora hearts and pandora hearts sucked very much. People shouldn't be looking at judging an anime by the art quality but the story line because as time goes on, the art in anime is only going to get better.

The story sucks. :D
It was pretty hard going through the first episode but I could tell I was falling asleep cause of how predictable the story line was.
Jan 9, 2011 6:42 PM

Mar 2008
good art
story sounds interesting
worth a watch
Jan 9, 2011 6:46 PM

Sep 2008
Yumekichi11 said:
Gangler said:
Sorry friend but IMO loli don't have to be short. As long a girl has DFC she is loli to me and IRL I would think that but would not tell that to the girl. :P You know who sometimes women think. Also Mina was 400 years old so age/appearance does not matter with. Yumekui can be very old in years since she always spends time in dreams where time is eternal!

Pretty sure that's not what loli means though. Flatchested is the word for flatchested. Loli is the word for child. Heck, it can fit when the body type matches that of a child like in vampire bund. Delicious flat chest though, delicious though it may be, isn't loli, it's just flatchest.

It's like this. Maka DFC. Crona DFC. Also possibly a trap, but that's another matter. Angela Loli. The first two were merely deliciously underdeveloped, the third one was exactly as developed as she should be expected to be at her age. Another example. DFC DFC Loli

It's a very important distinction to make. There are plenty of people who just like flat chests, but still aren't lolicons. We can't expect them to filter through mounds of children every time they want to find some flat chested hotties. Similarly when someone hears there's a loli on board, if they want a loli they will likely only be disappointed when they walk in and find an adult woman who happens to be underdeveloped.

Edit: A minor addendum. Once in a rare while we see a loli who is not flatchested They are, quite plainly, abominations.
GanglerJan 9, 2011 9:01 PM
Jan 9, 2011 8:09 PM

Apr 2009
I swear Merry's VA sounds exactly like Kirino's. The show is meh. I'll give it a few more episodes.
Jan 9, 2011 10:27 PM

Dec 2009
Oh~! I love it already~!

I like how he didnt freak out when she fell on top of him, because i'v seen that happen way to many times =.=

I like the main characters so far, and that is REALLY uncommen for me!
Jan 9, 2011 10:34 PM

Jul 2010
Merry was so moe. <3

Show looks like it has potential. Looking forward to it.
Jan 10, 2011 2:22 AM

Oct 2010
Pretty good for a first episode. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Jan 10, 2011 2:30 AM

Nov 2010
I like this anime. The op song makes me feel like this anime came out earlier. Like the time when Soul Eater or Shakugan first came out. It gave me a feeling I haven't felt since I first started really watching anime.
Jan 10, 2011 12:11 PM

Dec 2009
This was much better than I expected , and Merry was adorable , continuously reminding me of Yurippe xD ...
Jan 11, 2011 2:27 PM

Jul 2010
Well I don't know what to think of the first episode... it wasn't bad? I like the story, it's new and orignial but the "fight" scene wasn't good, it was too slow (like slowmotion, hear that guy talking and BOOM she kicked him etc) for my likings but I think I'll like the show :)

I hope they'll keep the fanservice as low as possible, her "falling" scene was actually a bit too much and well those clothes are kinda... what to say... xd

I hope there'll be some explonation in the next episode ^^
Jan 11, 2011 6:41 PM

Jun 2008
well theres basically just 3 things that pop in my mind about this episode:
1-bellly button
2-kiteeh!
3-soul eaterish

n thats it for now :/
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

stevewiess01 - Apr 7, 2011

180 by waalex11 »»
Sep 12, 2023 8:12 PM

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Blackbird - Mar 31, 2011

82 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 10, 2023 6:25 PM

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Mar 24, 2011

97 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 10, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stevewiess01 - Mar 3, 2011

86 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 10, 2023 4:07 PM

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

73 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 10, 2023 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.