Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 27, 2022 5:29 PM
Apr 2020
Can someone tell me why this show is so much loved? I think Its alright but nothing too special, just your standard shounen with a higher budget then usual. I dont get the 8.5 but Im open to hear your opinions on why this show is so good.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 27, 2022 5:40 PM
Dec 2020
Personally I feel very similar to you although I understand the appeal of the show. I feel that people like it so much due to it being different. it makes fun of a bunch of shonen tropes and presents it in a different way. I also find that Saitama may resonate with many people due to his lack of motivation and constant Bordum.
Dec 27, 2022 5:43 PM
Jul 2022
I actually dont like the art style
Dec 27, 2022 5:47 PM
Nov 2018
In what way is it standard Shonen? Saitama has already reached the top, and the central conflict within him is that he cannot find a worthy opponent. Everyone he fights hypes themselves up to be this unbeatable monster yet he finishes them off with one punch. If anything this is subverting the classic Shonen tropes, which are rising above yourself to beat your opponents and save your friends. This subversion is one of the main reasons why people love it, me included. Saitama wishes he could be a standard Shonen protagonist but can’t because he’s too OP. Combined with a top tier production with great animation and soundtrack, it fills all the boxes.
Dec 27, 2022 5:48 PM

May 2021
Not a fan, but not a hater either. I have watched it and I think it's because the comedy prevail over all the overpowerness of the characters. Maybe like Dragon Ball but with more comedy, I guess.
Dec 27, 2022 5:51 PM
Aug 2017
Do you really mind what people think about a show you don't really care about? I've seen a number of posts like these by other people in other forums and it really puzzles me.
Dec 27, 2022 5:51 PM
Dec 2019
Gallade901 said:
In what way is it standard Shonen? Saitama has already reached the top, and the central conflict within him is that he cannot find a worthy opponent. Everyone he fights hypes themselves up to be this unbeatable monster yet he finishes them off with one punch. If anything this is subverting the classic Shonen tropes, which are rising above yourself to beat your opponents and save your friends. This subversion is one of the main reasons why people love it, me included. Saitama wishes he could be a standard Shonen protagonist but can’t because he’s too OP. Combined with a top tier production with great animation and soundtrack, it fills all the boxes.

That's exactly what I was going to say as well. You can only truly appreciate one punch man if you've seen enough shounen to understand what it's trying to do as a series. I will say season 1 was a little bit of a drag for myself, but season 2 gave one punch man as a series life. Garou is an amazing anti hero/villain, and his story is only going to get better through season 3. The entire premise of one punch man's underlying plot is that even though the protagonist may have limitless strength the replot, there may not always be a villain that is strong enough for them to fight. It's almost as if it's working backward, where the hero starts week and tries to become the strongest, but instead saitama is the strongest and trying to find people strong enough to give him a fair match
Dec 27, 2022 6:00 PM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread locked for not encouraging meaningful discussion.

Anime/Manga Discussion Rules 2. Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:

g. categorizing generalized opinions as popular/unpopular
e.g. Why does everyone like/hate ___, Why is studio ___ so hated, Post your unpopular opinion about ___, etc.
These threads are designed to assign people into black/white categories which then instigate wars between each "side". Either use the overrated/underrated thread or think carefully about what it is you want to discuss and avoid generalizing.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » should one punch man be called battle seinen?

deg - May 16

24 by phantom346 »»
May 22, 12:46 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2015

338 by FedeMetal »»
May 20, 6:30 PM

» serious question

z0idberger - May 5

45 by RickyHunt »»
May 20, 8:52 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2015

987 by RGreatDanton »»
May 13, 3:04 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2015

792 by jacjacqjac »»
May 12, 1:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.