Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Oct 31, 2019 3:18 AM

Oct 2008
I see, now that explains how the village knowledge of science was lost. This is surprisingly emotional episode, while I expected this arc to cover the founding of the village, I didn’t expect them to also tackle the death theme as well. Kinda tragic but it’s also nice to see that they added a very nice touch of themes of realism here.
Oct 31, 2019 11:57 AM
Aug 2018
Please can someone tell me the cause of lillian death??
Oct 31, 2019 4:06 PM

Jan 2016
How are we allowing someone who scored 1/10 who isn't even watching the show progressively? MAL's review system needs to be reassessed.
Nov 1, 2019 12:54 AM

Nov 2009
castbound123 said:
Maybe his true father is the main villain who did all that human-turn-to-stone phenomena lol.
I won't even be surprised when it turns out that way. The immediate plot need for making Senkuu and his dad not blood-related is something even worse though, namely to keep romance an option, *retch*...
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Nov 1, 2019 5:28 AM

Nov 2014
CG said:
castbound123 said:
Maybe his true father is the main villain who did all that human-turn-to-stone phenomena lol.
I won't even be surprised when it turns out that way. The immediate plot need for making Senkuu and his dad not blood-related is something even worse though, namely to keep romance an option, *retch*...
I'm kinda getting the feeling that the ending of this show will turn out to be a disappointment.

Nov 1, 2019 9:05 AM
Overthinker

Jun 2017
Tennison said:
Please can someone tell me the cause of lillian death??

It's never specified. Presumably disease, could have been childbirth, or just a chronic condition we weren't aware of. The importnat point is Byakyua ends up the last survivor of the astronuats and raises the children who would continue the village from then on. Sorry if that's a dissapointing answer.

SenpaiMars-Barz said:
Did I miss the reason they ended up stranded on an island in the middle of nowhere when they could have landed in any number of cities with tons of resources???

They were trying to go to the opposite side of the planet in case the petification was radiation based. The rest of their reasoning is actually in the spin-off manga.

RealTheAbsurdist said:
It was really nice to see Senku cry, to show a different emotion other than just arrogant confidence.
I know it's weird to bring it up now, but I just realized: the dynamic between Senku and Tsukasa is extremely fascinating. In a typical shounen anime, Senku (the genius) would be the villain, while Tsukasa (the brute) would be the protagonist. I don't think this subversion is a coincidence.

That's actually a really good point. Now I love this series even more!
ricksedNov 1, 2019 9:15 AM
Nov 1, 2019 3:42 PM
Apr 2017
ricksed said:
SpaceCowboyFin said:
It was a good episode but I can't help but laugh at the idea of 3700 years of inbreeding in a tiny gene pool.

Admittely that's one thing that bothers me too. This is bottleneck to the extreme. Still a good episode like you said

I laughed my axe of as well. We can see the result from the fact that the village only has a population of at most hundreds of people, after 3700 years.

For reference:
Our population is ~450M in 1500 and 7.7B in 2019.

The "science" in this show is so terrible
Nov 1, 2019 6:09 PM

Sep 2013
ep was kinda meh for a weeks worth of waiting
I'm about to just wait till the last episode to binge it all
Nov 3, 2019 6:37 PM

Feb 2015
A warming story involving Byakuya and Lilian, its tragic that some characters never appeared again, like Yakov and Dalia, that we can only think that died in the sea. I have to accept that the anime just avoided the scenes where they go through the atmosphere and land on ground (or sea) and how they got out of the capsule in the sea. The fuck with Gen, I’m gonna kill that guy.
Nov 4, 2019 4:21 PM
May 2018
phantomfandom said:
I don't like this section, I don't like how what Senku's legal father did 3700 years ago has very strong connection and influence to the present time, it diminish Senku's achievement.

Senku is the main character but it's important to remember that Senku is still only one person, there's only so much one person can do before it starts to seem like bullshit to the viewer, Byakuya basically functions as a person who made characters like (Chrome) accessible to Senku, he played a very important role in the overarching story of Dr. Stone. Without him there would be a lot of unexplained questions like ...

Where did the village come from? Why does this character know about Senku? Who started the 100 tales? And so on and so forth. I think it's very inspiring personally anyway.
Nov 4, 2019 6:45 PM

Apr 2012
So, Kohaku and Koharu are actually distant descendants of Senku's stepfather and hot American singer?

prodmols said:
yellowheartren said:
WHAT DO YOU MEAN HIS DAD ISN'T HIS DAD!? Sorry. But. What did I miss and where?

Also: I wasn't prepared for this wtf. Nobody said there'd be a downpour of tears like this. But. Top notch VA there for Senkuu. Absolutely loved what he did in this episode, all the subtle details.

exactly i dont remember it either they look so similar lmao
feels indeed

The most weird thing is that they are both albinos. It's so "random", lol.
Nov 8, 2019 4:16 PM
Dec 2018
That was one fantastic episode, they got it spot on. Fabulous. How great was his dad? The story of the astronauts was just so touching.
Nov 8, 2019 6:56 PM

Dec 2013
A lot of feels in this episode. Senku’s father really believed in Senku!

Byakuya not being blood related to Senku was a random bit of information.
Nov 10, 2019 9:46 AM
Jun 2019
Why didn't they spend the time to make a proper ship instead of just procreating, and then they could use all the mainland's resources...
Nov 11, 2019 9:01 AM

Jan 2009
There's something really bothering me about this story, if these guys were on earth a bit after the petrification then the majority of books and inventions were still fine, instead of travelling around to try to conserve everything they can and teach their kids and grandkids about science and history and all kinds of things, they instead lived on an island and taught them about fricking Momotaro! And they bet on Senku to rebuild everything!
I like the concept, but the way it's written is dumb.
Nov 13, 2019 4:24 AM

Oct 2018
This story is just stupid,the astronauts are a bunch of retards who can't even land properly and they cant even come up with a cure for the sick. So the Russian guy and his wife are just dying there while the others are doing nothing.So retarded, but hey Senku the teenager was smarter that the astronauts, he knew how to make it -_-
They build this father son relationship and made them look practically identical, but then because his dad founded the village and the hot sisters are descendants from his dad, they suddenly aren't blood related.How convenient.
Such poor writing.

They should have just made his dad die from something before having children and leave them be blood related, it would be better. Or they shouldn't have designed the dad character like this in the first place. Also that fucking singer...."Oh sha la-la-la" JUST STFU already.

Nov 15, 2019 9:30 AM
Aug 2018
Dominator-IV said:
phantomfandom said:
I don't like this section, I don't like how what Senku's legal father did 3700 years ago has very strong connection and influence to the present time, it diminish Senku's achievement.

As a manga reader, I really disagree from yours. Senku really needs the Ishigami Village in order to carry his tasks on saving humanity. Byakuya's influence showed in this episode is just a tip of iceberg.

I agree, he did need the Ishigami village
Nov 16, 2019 2:40 PM

Oct 2018
@Nick_Tran

Since the start of the anime? (They introduced his dad only later in the anime)
When and where was that mentioned before episode 17?
They never mentioned it, what episode was that please?
Mila91Nov 16, 2019 2:49 PM

Nov 16, 2019 9:33 PM
Feb 2014
This episode makes me curious about what happened to Senku's mom, or biological parents.
Nov 18, 2019 12:17 PM

Oct 2013
I wept up a storm with this episode. I think basically at the half way point I started crying then several more things happened through the rest of the episode that kept it going just as I was starting to recompose myself. What a beautiful, tragic, sentimental and heartwarming story. With all this sciency stuff of the last handful of episodes, I've half-forgotten what the initial draw was... a POST-APOCALYPTIC story about Senku rebuilding the world. But man, all this sure reminded me.

Byakuya standing alone, all his original partners now dead, broke my heart. And his "souvenirs" for Senku did too. man I'm a sucker for this sort of sentimental shlock.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 21, 2019 8:25 AM

Aug 2007
Maybe I am overthinking. But if there were 6 persons from Japan in space, maybe there were more persons from other countries and they also manage to survive. But, for this story this dont care.

Now we know how the village was made and basically why.
Nov 23, 2019 5:59 AM

Jan 2019
Whenever she sings I burst out laughing, I know it's trying to be a serious and sad story, but I just can't take it serious.
Them getting sick and dying was quite sad, at least.
Nov 24, 2019 6:11 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
These last couple of episodes were some of the best this season, very teary and sad, but also so inspiring. Senku is a spitting image of his father, and that makes me happy as though the dude never died to begin with. I'm hopeful that Senku will eat ramen in space one day.
Back to the present, I wonder what will happen during this confrontation. Is Tsukasa coming because he thinks Senku is alive? Is he only interested in the village? I know that he will go about his way, and kill every adult there is. I really want to see Taiju and Yuzuriha again.
Nov 27, 2019 2:47 AM
Sep 2019
The entire backstory of the "first 6 humans" was really interesting and was quite wholesome. Though it kinda looked like they were going a little crazy at first. Then the deaths kinda changed the mood. Shamil had fun part was also nice. But I almost cried when Byakuya ( Senku dad guy ) was thinking about what he might give to the Senku in the future so that one got me. And of course, Senku doesn't fully cry >:D
And the part where the villagers wanted Gen to drink was portrayed quite well. Especially with the face.
Dec 6, 2019 10:17 AM
Jan 2016
i would never have guessed that the villagers were descendants of Senku
Dec 12, 2019 11:20 AM

Aug 2017
Pretty boring and the episode just made absolutely no sense.

*They never explained why in >3000 years they only have a village of 40 adults and stone age technology.

*Why they didn't trying to investigate the situation just like they said at first? And why they didn't find the nearest civilized settlement to live?

*Why Senku's dad isn't really his dad even though they looks so much alike? lol.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 16, 2019 4:10 AM

Jul 2015
All I could think about is all the defects inbreeding would cause in thousands of years... But idk, maybe... somehow... people from the outside have come to the village to widen the gene pool and it still needs to be revealed? :'D
Dec 19, 2019 4:47 PM
Jun 2017
I'm not crying (ಥ﹏ಥ)

And if all the village descends form only six persons, that can only mean one thing... SWEET HOME ALABAMA
Dec 23, 2019 12:25 PM

Apr 2015
This episode is a bit weird. The literal implications are kind of screwy, the emotional aspect is impeccable though. Really I guess that's kind of a consistent problem with this show though?

Time is a big problem in this episode. First of all, it took them 60 hours to start landing on Earth? Why? I get being prepared for landing but their plan wasn't even complex and was contextually actually very ballsy.

Why did they survive for 10 hours if the escape pod only had 9 hours of oxygen supply? And why did the blond guy tell them to conserve oxygen AFTER they were already over time? Wouldn't they have already been doing that since the beginning????

It's weird to me how little was actually done by Senku's dad, especially in the first few years. Like, it would make sense if everything he tried to do failed, but he barely tried? I get that he's more suited to a specific kind of science than Senku, who comparatively knows a lot of different things, but even then they add some lines that imply he does know a good amount of stuff, or at least has general knowledge. Why does he do so little? Even with the island being isolated, it's just odd...

Also weird how little science there is in the village considering the parents. But maybe I missed something. It does make some sense that the tellings of Senku's dad would be simplified to the point that the current level of lively-hood is the standard, it's just a big stretch.

I'm also very curious about the lineage? It's weird how there's only two kids when the two people leave on the boat and then there's a bunch by the end. They also have odd hair colors that don't match, I assume this being an anime that they'd match the hair color to that of the parents? But it doesn't seem like the case?

But emotionally it was satisfying. Got teary-eyed twice. Just wish it made a bit more sense. But I love the aspect of this anime that's very Gunbustery/Gurren Lagann-like. It's about humanity and overcoming trials and tribulations, and that's the best part. It's too bad it tries to be inconsistently realistic.

observing a woman's body
Dec 23, 2019 8:51 PM

Mar 2015
Glad they fleshed out the history and connected past to present for Senku, somewhat!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 4, 2020 10:01 PM

Nov 2008
I am confused...did Byakuya and Lillian have a child? I don't think I saw one that looked like theirs...or maybe I just missed it?

hurrr we finally get to see Senku cry >:D

Jan 7, 2020 10:46 PM

Mar 2016
Okay, wow... I came close to crying when the woman was singing. But the tears did not come.

But when that guy died? That got them flowing. I'm so happy that there is an anime that made me cry. It's been such a long time since I've cried from an anime or anything else fictional. And it was over characters who we only have known for a few episodes. This anime is so good. So so good.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Jan 16, 2020 5:32 PM
Apr 2019
I'M SHOCKED!! This is the WORST chapter of anime in a while!

IDK why the astronauts would preder to stay in a beach bearing childs, recolecting and hunting for survive, doing fire for keep warmth, SUMMARY, LIVING LIKE CAVERNICLES.

Senku got to that village in a fuckking day, couldn't his father go and check if he was all right?! Like he's not right, but he could at least put him out of danger, maybe he is in the egde of some stairs and he could fall?

Instead of going to a CITY where are supermarkets that means easy food, and I'm sure there were some cars that they could get, buildings where they could live warmly!

*BUT NO!* they stay there doing nothing to save the humanity?? Only waiting for Senku to get up and do something? They know where the petrification started and they dont go to investigate nothing and dont try to investigate any further. Those are useless austronauts. Cause even thoought they where dying of pneumonia they didnt went to a city. Like 5 years till the first person dies, couldnt they get to a city in 5 years for resources?!?!? There are human cities or at least villages everywhere!!! Where are pharmacies for medicines and libraries that have a lot of books and knowledge in them, better that those 100 stories.

That's my opinion of this pointless chapter :D

(sorry for my english)
Jan 16, 2020 5:40 PM
Apr 2019
AngryAlchemist said:
This episode is a bit weird. The literal implications are kind of screwy, the emotional aspect is impeccable though. Really I guess that's kind of a consistent problem with this show though?

Time is a big problem in this episode. First of all, it took them 60 hours to start landing on Earth? Why? I get being prepared for landing but their plan wasn't even complex and was contextually actually very ballsy.

Why did they survive for 10 hours if the escape pod only had 9 hours of oxygen supply? And why did the blond guy tell them to conserve oxygen AFTER they were already over time? Wouldn't they have already been doing that since the beginning????

It's weird to me how little was actually done by Senku's dad, especially in the first few years. Like, it would make sense if everything he tried to do failed, but he barely tried? I get that he's more suited to a specific kind of science than Senku, who comparatively knows a lot of different things, but even then they add some lines that imply he does know a good amount of stuff, or at least has general knowledge. Why does he do so little? Even with the island being isolated, it's just odd...

Also weird how little science there is in the village considering the parents. But maybe I missed something. It does make some sense that the tellings of Senku's dad would be simplified to the point that the current level of lively-hood is the standard, it's just a big stretch.

I'm also very curious about the lineage? It's weird how there's only two kids when the two people leave on the boat and then there's a bunch by the end. They also have odd hair colors that don't match, I assume this being an anime that they'd match the hair color to that of the parents? But it doesn't seem like the case?

But emotionally it was satisfying. Got teary-eyed twice. Just wish it made a bit more sense. But I love the aspect of this anime that's very Gunbustery/Gurren Lagann-like. It's about humanity and overcoming trials and tribulations, and that's the best part. It's too bad it tries to be inconsistently realistic.

Good that someone at least noticied those mistakes. I said in a post below that this chapter is a bit nonsense. And I`m confused how the grave of the old man is in the mountaine/graveyard nears the village if he wasnt there by what u said there are in a isolated island?
Jan 16, 2020 5:43 PM
Apr 2019
BABYODA said:
This story is just stupid,the astronauts are a bunch of retards who can't even land properly and they cant even come up with a cure for the sick. So the Russian guy and his wife are just dying there while the others are doing nothing.So retarded, but hey Senku the teenager was smarter that the astronauts, he knew how to make it -_-
They build this father son relationship and made them look practically identical, but then because his dad founded the village and the hot sisters are descendants from his dad, they suddenly aren't blood related.How convenient.
Such poor writing.

They should have just made his dad die from something before having children and leave them be blood related, it would be better. Or they shouldn't have designed the dad character like this in the first place. Also that fucking singer...."Oh sha la-la-la" JUST STFU already.

WISE WORDS!!!
WISE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 18, 2020 7:58 PM

Mar 2009
Trying to apply logic to this show is like trying to apply logic to JoJo. There's no point.

Anyway, they really made us care for these characters in the span of only two episodes. Impressive. And poor Senku...
Feb 28, 2020 2:14 AM
Nov 2014
SpaceCowboyFin said:
It was a good episode but I can't help but laugh at the idea of 3700 years of inbreeding in a tiny gene pool.

Hold on, I think I'm out of the loop. People have been posting this exact same comment but unless I'm missing a crucial detail that's not what's happening at all, is it? We have 3 couples, at least two of which had kids on the island - that's already two very diverse families right off the bat. Remember, they came from the ISS where we can safely assume at least 4 or 5 different countries were represented in the team - more (possibilities of) genetic variation. So this isn't even an Adam-and-Eve-type situation; the very first generation was already quite varied, and with each generation that variety must have only increased (factoring in the suspension of belief needed to believe that thousands of years later there was a significant amount of people that bore striking resemblances to the OG team).

I apologise for the whole block of text, it's just I'm either missing something quite huge or this comment that keeps being repeated is simply unfounded. I'm more than a little confused. Someone please help?
Feb 28, 2020 4:07 AM

Jun 2013
mbyhmma said:
SpaceCowboyFin said:

Hold on, I think I'm out of the loop. People have been posting this exact same comment but unless I'm missing a crucial detail that's not what's happening at all, is it? We have 3 couples, at least two of which had kids on the island - that's already two very diverse families right off the bat. Remember, they came from the ISS where we can safely assume at least 4 or 5 different countries were represented in the team - more (possibilities of) genetic variation. So this isn't even an Adam-and-Eve-type situation; the very first generation was already quite varied, and with each generation that variety must have only increased (factoring in the suspension of belief needed to believe that thousands of years later there was a significant amount of people that bore striking resemblances to the OG team).

I apologise for the whole block of text, it's just I'm either missing something quite huge or this comment that keeps being repeated is simply unfounded. I'm more than a little confused. Someone please help?

Yes, if you look at it from a purely technical standpoint I'm sure they could get a good amount of gene diversity from what they had.
But I'm not sure, for one, that even that would still not lead to an extremely limited gene pool over almost 4000 years (although I'm no geneticist).
As for your point on sufficient genetic variation, I don't know enough about it to comment with any scientific basis, but you're presupposing that these people would reproduce with each other in a 100% optimal way as to avoid gene mixing, no? Unless they specifically designate who each of them is going to reproduce with each generation, which seems increasingly unlikely as generations go on, then it would inevitably lead to inbreeding.

But like I said, I really no nothing about genes so i'm just going off of my own thoughts and preconceptions here.
Mar 20, 2020 1:12 PM

Feb 2013
I almost cried, damn, this was sad!
Mar 26, 2020 11:53 AM

Apr 2016
Man, what a story. So everyone in the village is a descendant of the 6 survivors. Interesting. Looks like the Tsukasa Empire is on the move as well.

Seeing Senkuu shed tears was pretty emotional.
Apr 3, 2020 10:38 AM
Apr 2020
hola alguien usa discord XD
Jun 16, 2020 8:22 PM

Aug 2018
that was a nice episode. cant wait to see the war against tsukasa

Jun 17, 2020 4:23 AM

Jul 2013
What? Senku's dad and Liliana never hooked up? And I still find it hard to believe that after 3500+ years there're only a handful of people in that village. Even if you consider that they don't have medicine and people die early and whatnot
Aug 21, 2020 6:06 PM

Aug 2020
THERES NO FUCKING WAY THAT TINY SMALL VILLAGE WOULD SURVIVE FOR THIRTY SEVEN HUNDRED YEARS WITHOUT EVEN CHANGING THE LANGUAGE SPOKEN!

Srsly... not gonna even say about the stupid small number of people for a time span so huge... 4000 years was what it did take for the humans to settle in ALL AMERICAS! FROM ALASKA TO URUGUAY, IT TOOK 4000 YEARS TO COLONIZE 42 189 120m² and, in 3700 years they couldn't colonize a fucking archipelago!? SRSLY!?

This anime spent SO MUCH FUCKING TIME explaining how to make antibiotics from the 0 that they totally forgot to make a simple research in paleontology... no matter how unfuckingthecnological a society is, it doesn't even matter if they know agriculture. 3700 years? As long as they can have sex. they would have settlements in half of Asia so far. AND all of Japan FOR SURE!

And then, 3700 years later, there's a 40 ppl village that speaks perfect and modern Japanese... YOU COULDN'T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH FROM 200 YEARS AGO! IMAGINE HOW MUCH A LANGUAGE WOULD CHANGE IN 3700 YEARS! SRSLY!

Fuck this anime srsly. The whole green light-turn-ppl-into-stone is easier to believe than this fucking plot hole.
how did i get here;
Oct 22, 2020 3:49 AM

Jul 2020
This episode is good however it really bothers me that 3700 years has passed and there’s no significant progression in the village. There’s just a few number of people, don’t tell me they have birth controls but haven’t develop any technology? Lmao.

Well, there’s a possibility some people of that village migrated to other land, but still no one from that village where it all started have some progressive knowledge in developing any technology aside from stone age tools? Doesn’t have to be a high tech one but come on, they should have at least graduated from stone age lol. Aren’t they smart enough to think of something to evolve their way of living? Lol

Anyway, I’ll still continue to watch this, hope this will be resolved somehow with good story.
SoraaaxiiOct 22, 2020 3:54 AM
Dec 3, 2020 9:25 AM

Sep 2020
God, this one was AMAZING!!!
What a great dad he was!

Mess with waifu, lose your laifu
Dec 8, 2020 11:05 AM

May 2015
SWEET HOME ALABAMA!!!!!!!!!!!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 26, 2020 7:34 PM

Apr 2019
Was a pretty great episode, nearly everything makes sense. Still don't know where the green light is from. Did the astronauts really not leave anything behind for the newer generations though? 3700 years later and they're still in the stone age?

Now Tsukasa is coming back, ugh... In for another boring arc

Dec 28, 2020 3:59 AM
Sep 2020
A very moving episode, in this episode too much happened
Jan 14, 2021 4:53 AM

Oct 2016
Fantastic episode, I loved it. Definitely my favorite episode so far.

When Senku started crying, that shit hit hard as fuck. Made me tear up a bit.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Senkuu is not as smart as he think he is

Cravun - Mar 13, 2023

4 by DigiCat »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

178 by EarthWoven »»
May 15, 4:25 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Syureria - Dec 13, 2019

337 by Colonel-Maskou »»
May 14, 1:58 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2019

315 by ShawnRM »»
May 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2019

163 by Mabaya »»
May 4, 7:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.