Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 20, 2019 6:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Getting ingredients for a drug doesn't seem easy. I mean, the risk of it...with the sulfric acid.

It looks like Senku and the others had to use science to its fullest with the gas masks and equipment. Fighting chemistry with chemical equipment! What an episode honestly especially the second half. I feel like this is one of the most intense episode of this show so far.
Stark700Sep 20, 2019 7:41 AM
Sep 20, 2019 8:14 AM

Apr 2015
was very fun to see them overcome the posionous gas
Sep 20, 2019 8:17 AM

Aug 2013
Senkuu and his team acquired into to get some sulfuric acid for the drug they are making.

Chrome almost fell into the sulfuric acid pond. Good thing Ginro was there.

Sep 20, 2019 8:19 AM

Sep 2014
Collecting sulfuric acid was certainly not easy. Chrome was almost a goner there but Ginro saved him at the end and managed to deal with his fear. That sulfuric acid fairy was funny being around with those scary faces.
Sep 20, 2019 8:25 AM

Nov 2016
Another episode that got me excited and Kohaku is simply one of the best girls that gets shit done.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 20, 2019 8:26 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I knew obtaining the sulfuric acid was not going to be an easy task because of the risk of inhaling that substance. Thankfully they were able to make gas masks and the sulfuric acid safely. I literally thought Chrome was going to die, but Ginro made the save. The sulfuric acid fairy was also a nice touch on how deadly that substance can be if not handled properly.
Sep 20, 2019 8:35 AM

Mar 2018
That last moment save tho...

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 20, 2019 8:46 AM
May 2019
So slow pace, but i love it anyway
Sep 20, 2019 9:03 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
This episode had probably the worst writing till now. They made such a big deal out of collecting H2SO4. Inserted shitty flashbacks and the last 2-3 mins were so cliche and hard to sit through.

2/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Sep 20, 2019 9:14 AM

Jan 2013
They are making penacillin, why does Senku need all these extra ingredients? alterior motives? Is he the real villain?
Sep 20, 2019 9:19 AM

Feb 2016
Never knew getting sulphuric acid was this dangerous.
They are creating many side products on their way to make the all-cure drug. I wonder when it will be actually completed
Sep 20, 2019 9:34 AM
Nov 2015
and no one addres that stupid ass save... comon be my guest an try to hold that spear like that while i will hang on the end of it ... science based but not common sense ?
Sep 20, 2019 9:45 AM

Oct 2014
Dr Stone : "SULPHUR IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS IT WILL KILL YOU IN SECONDS!!!!!!"

Kawah Ijen Sulphur Miners : "Hold my pick axe"

Seriously, is sulphur THAT dangerous?, i knew it's dengerous but not THAT deadly since i live in Indonesia where it's common to mine those thing especially in Kawah Ijen where they mine it on daily basis.
Sep 20, 2019 9:49 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Boy, that was an extremely close call! I've serious doubts over how the spear managed to hold out and how Kinro held on for so long but keeping those nitpicks aside, it was quite the intriguing teamwork. Jeez, Senku's air pump taking a damage there as well.

Never knew H2SO4 was this risky to attain...

Loved that little speech from the old man, and he conveniently just made an extra (or was it intentional, hmm) lol. Good to see a little more on Kohaku's past too, she pretty much solidates her position as the best girl of the show. Lol @ that casual "want me instead in her stead".

Can't wait to see how the antibiotic production goes!

#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 20, 2019 9:49 AM

Jun 2015
ElZavier said:

Seriously, is sulphur THAT dangerous?, i knew it's dengerous but not THAT deadly since i live in Indonesia where it's common to mine those thing especially in Kawah Ijen where they mine it on daily basis.

Well, they're still teenagers. Senku was just being extra careful.
Sep 20, 2019 9:53 AM

Nov 2014
4Ag + H2S + O2 → 2Ag2S + 2H2O
Silver when in contact with hydrogen sulfide in the air will lose its silver shine, resulting in the blackness which is Ag2S
Amazing episode. Senku and Chrome are such bros. It's nice to see Ginrou being a man too.
Sep 20, 2019 9:55 AM
May 2016
ElZavier said:

They didn't make it clear, the "water" was Sulphuric acid but bubbling up from it was Hydrogen Sulfide gas, which is heavier than air and can kill you IF you're stupid enough to walk into it. There were probably a dozen ways to get the water out of there without having to risk breathing that in, that's why this show is dumb, they over complicate everything for dramatic reasons.
Sep 20, 2019 9:55 AM

Mar 2016
This is the third series from Shounen Jump that I enjoyed. As long as Tsukasa and Taiju don't take the spotlight, I am okay!

Ginro finally got his spear, and he is sooo happy. lol.

It still bothers me how Senkuu knows a lot more than what a kid would know. But, I have learnt to accept it. Still, I am planning to fact check everything after the anime is over. (Or maybe I will just wait for "Scientists react to Dr Stone" videos. It will surely be made one day!)
Sep 20, 2019 9:58 AM

Oct 2014
Switch_Z said:
ElZavier said:

Yeah, also to make the story more engaging, but knowing Ijen sulphur miners before hand and watching this makes it less engaging since i'm just ".......really?" the whole time
Sep 20, 2019 9:59 AM

Jun 2015
Vooo said:
They are making penacillin, why does Senku need all these extra ingredients? alterior motives? Is he the real villain?

They are clearly not trying to make penicillin. Senkuu said in a previous episode that with their current technology trying to isolate the penicillin mold from other molds would be impossible, so they opted to make sulfa drugs instead. Sulfa from sulfonamide, sulfur and therefore sulfuric acid, which is not an extra ingredient, but the main one.

ElZavier said:

Sulfur and sulfur dioxide are different things. Sulfur in it native form is solid and can be mined, and so doesn't present much of a health risk. Sulfur dioxide is a gas that comes out of volcanic vents, and it is very toxic. The two are related and are often found together, but not necessarily. I believe the effects of inhaling sulfur dioxide would be simmilar to what chlorine gas (a WW1 chemical weapon) does, but more potent. You would breathe it and it would react with the moisture in your lungs to produce sulfuric acid, which would burn them. Your lungs would then try to dilute the acid inside by secreting water, which would would fill them up and make you drown. Pretty horrific stuff. Then again, depending on the concentration you might die before any of that, just by being suffocated by the lack of oxigen. By the way, that's exactly why onions, which are full of sulfur dioxide, make you cry when you cut them. It's the eyes trying to dilute the sulfuric acid in them.

But I feel like there were much easier ways to extract the sulfuric acid without having to go there collect it by hand. A longer shaft (a 5m bamboo stick maybe) holding their glass jars, digging some kind of canal for the acid (with a bamboo stick from afar), a long suction tube (again, a hollowed bamboo stick connected to some primitive pump). Wearing untested makeshift gas masks and risking their lives like that was pretty much the worst possible option. It makes for a more dramatic episode, but at the cost of being very contrived and out of character for Senkuu.
AnotherGuySep 20, 2019 10:19 AM
Sep 20, 2019 10:02 AM

Oct 2017
Nice sulfuric acid really works wonders. This will surely help them progress their sciene much further.
Sep 20, 2019 10:05 AM

Oct 2014
MenchiK1 said:
ElZavier said:

They didn't make it clear, the "water" was Sulphuric acid but bubbling up from it was Hydrogen Sulfide gas, which is heavier than air and can kill you IF you're stupid enough to walk into it. There were probably a dozen ways to get the water out of there without having to risk breathing that in, that's why this show is dumb, they over complicate everything for dramatic reasons.

Yeah, i mean just search "boating on acid" on youtube, the dude just boating on sulphur lake at Ijen Crater without gas mask

I like this series since i'm folowing the manga since chapter 1till now but things like this to make it more dramatic just makes me face palming hard
Sep 20, 2019 10:17 AM

Nov 2014
MenchiK1 said:
ElZavier said:

in the stone age with limited resources not to mention the characters are teenagers, what more do you expect?

The danger is not the acid in the water, it's the acid in the air, H2S, colorless, odorless, intangible gas. An invisible enemy like that is obviously terrifying especially when we have to breath without knowing whether we're breathing in O2 or H2S and where the H2S is cause like Senku said it could be below you and killing you when you bend down to tie your shoelace.

Senku might be smart but he's still a kid. Chrome and the others are stone people who's never seen a substance that can kill instantly and can melt your flesh if comes in contact with. Of course they're gonna be scared, of the unknowns. It's totally reasonable. It's not called being over-complicating things, it's called stating the truth as it is.

FuMomo-kun said:
It still bothers me how Senkuu knows a lot more than what a kid would know. But, I have learnt to accept it. Still, I am planning to fact check everything after the anime is over. (Or maybe I will just wait for "Scientists react to Dr Stone" videos. It will surely be made one day!)

That sounds like a great idea. We already have those lawyer reacts, doctor reacts on youtube, I'd like to see a scientist react (especially since we have more scientific anime than law or medical anime)

Audinga23 said:
and no one addres that stupid ass save... comon be my guest an try to hold that spear like that while i will hang on the end of it ... science based but not common sense ?

It's possible. Human body can be that strong. Just go to the gym and ask one of those experienced body-builders
Sep 20, 2019 10:21 AM

Jan 2009
what a tense episode this time around, i remember its this tense too when reading this part of the manga lol

Sep 20, 2019 10:23 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was so slow, i was so bored.
Sep 20, 2019 10:26 AM
May 2016
ttcchen said:
MenchiK1 said:

in the stone age with limited resources not to mention the characters are teenagers, what more do you expect?

The danger is not the acid in the water, it's the acid in the air, H2S, colorless, odorless, intangible gas. An invisible enemy like that is obviously terrifying especially when we have to breath without knowing whether we're breathing in O2 or H2S and where the H2S is cause like Senku said it could be below you and killing you when you bend down to tie your shoelace.

Senku might be smart but he's still a kid. Chrome and the others are stone people who's never seen a substance that can kill instantly and can melt your flesh if comes in contact with. Of course they're gonna be scared, of the unknowns. It's totally reasonable. It's not called being over-complicating things, it's called stating the truth as it is.

Seriously they built gas masks! How is that not over complicating and over dramatizing it? All they would have had to do is stand above it and make a simple siphon, they have glass so it wouldn't dissolve in the acid.
Sep 20, 2019 10:27 AM
Oct 2017
AnotherGuy said:
Vooo said:

They are clearly not trying to make penicillin. Senkuu said in a previous episode that with their current technology trying to isolate the penicillin mold from other molds would be impossible, so they opted to make sulfa drugs instead. Sulfa from sulfonamide, sulfur and therefore sulfuric acid, which is not an extra ingredient, but the main one.

ElZavier said:

Sulfur and sulfur dioxide are different things. Sulfur in it native form is solid and can be mined, and so doesn't present much of a health risk. Sulfur dioxide is a gas that comes out of volcanic vents, and it is very toxic. The two are related and are often found together, but not necessarily. I believe the effects of inhaling sulfur dioxide would be simmilar to what chlorine gas (a WW1 chemical weapon) does, but more potent. You would breathe it and it would react with the moisture in your lungs to produce sulfuric acid, which would burn them. Your lungs would then try to dilute the acid inside by secreting water, which would would fill them up and make you drown. Pretty horrific stuff. Then again, depending on the concentration you might die before any of that, just by being suffocated by the lack of oxigen. By the way, that's exactly why onions, which are full of sulfur dioxide, make you cry when you cut them. It's the eyes trying to dilute the sulfuric acid in them.

But I feel like there were much easier ways to extract the sulfuric acid without having to go there collect it by hand. A longer shaft (a 5m bamboo stick maybe) holding their glass jars, digging some kind of canal for the acid (with a bamboo stick from afar), a long suction tube (again, a hollowed bamboo stick connected to some primitive pump). Wearing untested makeshift gas masks and risking their lives like that was pretty much the worst possible option. It makes for a more dramatic episode, but at the cost of being very contrived and out of character for Senkuu.

That would take an enormous amount of time, which they clearly don't have since Ruri is almost dead.
Sep 20, 2019 10:28 AM

Oct 2014
AnotherGuy said:

ElZavier said:

Yeah i know it's the gas they're talking about since they're making gas mask, but i mean just look on youtube how those Ijen miners extract those sulphur ore with sulphur gas everywhere and only using traditional tools and using cloth to cover their mouth, i know those things are dengerous but it seems like dr stone makes it super dengerous, or maybe the sulphur gas on dr stone is extremely potent idk.
Sep 20, 2019 10:32 AM
Apr 2009
ElZavier said:
Switch_Z said:

Yeah, also to make the story more engaging, but knowing Ijen sulphur miners before hand and watching this makes it less engaging since i'm just ".......really?" the whole time

Just to do the research for people coming into this thread who want a say in this without actually doing their own proper research.

This is from the official OSHA.gov website:

"High concentrations can cause shock, convulsions, inability to breathe, extremely rapid
unconsciousness, coma and death. Effects
can occur within a few breaths, and possibly
a single breath.
"

Yes, this gas can be extremely deadly at a high concentration
Sep 20, 2019 10:36 AM

Oct 2014
Makubex27 said:
ElZavier said:

Just to do the research for people coming into this thread who want a say in this without actually doing their own proper research.

This is from the official OSHA.gov website:

"High concentrations can cause shock, convulsions, inability to breathe, extremely rapid
unconsciousness, coma and death. Effects
can occur within a few breaths, and possibly
a single breath.
"

Yes, this gas can be extremely deadly at a high concentration

Yeah, i figured maybe the sulphuric gas on dr stone is extremely potent
Sep 20, 2019 10:37 AM
Oct 2017
ElZavier said:
AnotherGuy said:

Yeah i know it's the gas they're talking about since they're making gas mask, but i mean just look on youtube how those Ijen miners extract those sulphur ore with sulphur gas everywhere and only using traditional tools and using cloth to cover their mouth, i know those things are dengerous but it seems like dr stone makes it super dengerous, or maybe the sulphur gas on dr stone is extremely potent idk.

No offense but Indonesia doesn't sound like a free of work accidents place.
Sep 20, 2019 10:43 AM

Oct 2014
Pikesito said:
ElZavier said:

No offense but Indonesia doesn't sound like a free of work accidents place.

No offense taken, i know accident happen all the time especially without proper tools and equipment, but still
Sep 20, 2019 10:44 AM

Feb 2018
Science Bros: 1
Sulfuric Acid: 0
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Sep 20, 2019 10:46 AM

Jun 2015
ElZavier said:
AnotherGuy said:
more quotes

Just checked one of those videos of the mines. That's some crazy stuff. It could be as you said, that they are exaggerating how dangerous the gases are, but I think it's more likely that the gases in the anime are just more concentrated. It's a pretty small and deep crater where they are, and without human interference the gases could've been accumulating there for thousands of years at that point, making them extra deadly.
Sep 20, 2019 10:46 AM

Jan 2009
MenchiK1 said:
ElZavier said:

ye like cannot they use the spear as an extension for the container of the sulfuric acid so they do not need to get close to the water that way lol
Sep 20, 2019 10:47 AM

Oct 2014
AnotherGuy said:
ElZavier said:

Just checked one of those videos of the mines. That's some crazy stuff. It could be as you said, that they are exaggerating how dangerous the gases are, but I think it's more likely that the gases in the anime are just more concentrated. It's a pretty small and deep crater where they are, and without human interference the gases could've been accumulating there for thousands of years at that point.

Yeah, especially on a closed crater for 3500+ years
Sep 20, 2019 10:51 AM

Jan 2009
just activate our suspension of disbelief for shonen shows dudes lol
Sep 20, 2019 11:00 AM

Nov 2014
AnotherGuy said:
Vooo said:

ElZavier said:

They were talking about H2S Hydrogen Sulfide in this episode, not SO2 Sulfide Dioxide.

H2S is considered a neurotoxin. As soon as it's inhaled, it's absorbed into the blood through the lung and immediately transported to the brain, depriving it of oxygen causing immediate collapse and unconsciousness. If the centration isn't very high, then the victims would wake up promptly with no lasting effects. If the concentration is high, then the unconscious victim would stop breathing and die immediately.

SO2 on the other hand is very irritating to the eye and the skin and anyone
exposed to it at concentration of more than a few pm will instinctively run
away from the spot. Those who remains, dies on the spot. Those who ran away would survive.
Sep 20, 2019 11:00 AM

Mar 2018
Really nice episode. The pacing was pretty slow but.. they made it enjoyable

The biggest part this time were 'bonds' I guess? Especially Senku's and Chrome's

There was that kinda Kohaku x Chrome scene too but I found that rather unnecessary and would've been fine without that

Ginro finally getting a bit more spotlight than his usual wimpy moments.

The animations were really good! How they portrayed such a.. well almost "boring" task was epic.
I mean, in the end they were just going to this lake and collected H2SO4 (or whatever it was. Im not an expert in chemistry). But it was spiced up with this kinda acid spirit and dramatic situations. The drama at the end was pretty cliche tho
K1ngOfSlothSep 20, 2019 11:04 AM

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Sep 20, 2019 11:05 AM

Nov 2014
MenchiK1 said:
ttcchen said:

Seriously they built gas masks! How is that not over complicating and over dramatizing it? All they would have had to do is stand above it and make a simple siphon, they have glass so it wouldn't dissolve in the acid.
and how long is that going to take to make? A long ass glass tube thats like what 20 meters long? Making a gas mask is way faster AND easier. It's also rather simple and logical too. Breath=die. so solution? Don't breath=don't die. Even a grade schooler can understand it.

axel360 said:
Science Bros: 1
Sulfuric Acid: 0

You mean Sulfuric CHICK: 0
Sep 20, 2019 11:14 AM

Nov 2014
ElZavier said:
AnotherGuy said:

helping y'all do research cause y'all are too lazy.

The sulfur gas the miners at ijen volcano breathed in is sulfur dioxide, which can cause irritation and anyone who breathed it in will feel an urge to run away from the spot due to the irritation and pulmonary edema, not hydrogen sulfuric gas, which is the one Senku and that professor in his story were exposed to, which is a neurotoxin that can kill you instantly by causing cerebral hypoxia (hence why the professor didn't even struggle when he's poisoned, he just froze there cause his brain shut down immediately due to lack of oxygen.

Plus, those miners have been mining since 1968, they're developed a certain level of resilience for sulfur dioxide.
Sep 20, 2019 11:18 AM
May 2019
I'm not going to discuss how realistic it was, but damn, that end had me on edge. And they were so emotional towards each other in this episode you could feel someone was about to die. Finally, we got to know exactly why Kohaku is that way. And it's comprehensible. I wasn't enjoying that much the latest episodes, but this one makes my hopes go up again. Nice to see more of the human side of Senku. And that jii-chan, I feel like he's going to betray them or go independent.
Sep 20, 2019 11:30 AM
Nov 2015
ttcchen said:
MenchiK1 said:

in the stone age with lim

Audinga23 said:

It's possible. Human body can be that strong. Just go to the gym and ask one of those experienced body-builders
do you even know how much can trained guiy dead lift at 5 cm from self so evry e 15 cm far from self weight increases by 30 percent .. so how long that spear is ... normal spear be 2 meter 200cm so count mister if he normaly weights like 70 kg for average young guy ... pls dont be ridicilous .. plus he catch him in the the mid air with all faling down 70 kg force with that spear.
so plsl take 70kg weight throw it down and let the dude with 2 meters long stick catch it with wery end of it ... if you show anyone who can do that i suck your c***
striperrelaSep 20, 2019 11:37 AM
Sep 20, 2019 11:30 AM

Dec 2013
We didn't have much focus on Kohaku again this week but we get to see a bit of her backstory and see her in tears. Kohaku's tree branch scenes were awesome and I guess it is pretty obvious which is my favorite.

Anyway the collage for this week

And the full collage
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Sep 20, 2019 11:35 AM

Feb 2014
I don't mind that the pacing is slow, as this episode was really enjoyable.

The main job for Senku's group was to collect the sulfuric acid from a small lake on a mountain side, but knowing the dangers of the acid itself, bringing the silver-coated spear was a wise and common sense choice from Senku.

I do like how Chrome didn't back down when Senku suggested that he would pass on his knowledge just in case if ends up getting killed from the sulfuric acid mission and Chrome's passion and determination did win Senku's support in the end. It was a great scene overall. =)

Ginro also got to redeem itself from his earlier screw-ups by taking the spare gas mask from camp and arriving in time to save Chrome after the small cliff under him collapsed, sending him close to the sulfuric acid-filled water. Despite his constant whining, when push comes to shove, Ginro can do a bloody good job. ^^;
Sep 20, 2019 11:38 AM

Aug 2019
Knew Chrome would be saved, but when he was falling that was unexpected.

12 episodes done, 12 more to go.
Sep 20, 2019 11:48 AM

Jul 2019
They're playing with my emotions again. First Gen, now Chrome... I was scared that he was actually going to die or be badly injured.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Sep 20, 2019 12:03 PM

May 2016
Never knew getting a gas like H2 SO4 was so hard, our boys worked really hard this week was great again don't think I can keep waiting every week for this.
Sep 20, 2019 12:14 PM

Dec 2014
To be honest, I don't understand how this work.
From what I saw, they just don't need to breath during the process.
They could have just:
1. Hold their breath, there are primitive people, someone should have better stamina to hold their breath and find this someone to help.
2. Make a long (glass)pipe and pump the acid out from a safe distance.
Why no one has thought about that? Am I fundamentally wrong about logic?
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Sep 20, 2019 12:18 PM

Jan 2009
aLotQuestion_ said:
To be honest, I don't understand how this work.
From what I saw, they just don't need to breath during the process.
They could have just:
1. Hold their breath, there are primitive people, someone should have better stamina to hold their breath and find this someone to help.
2. Make a long (glass)pipe and pump the acid out from a safe distance.
Why no one has thought about that? Am I fundamentally wrong about logic?

its hard to balance realism with enjoyment thats why suspension of disbelief is needed when consuming fiction
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2019

150 by anshumankrsingh »»
Apr 7, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2019

196 by anshumankrsingh »»
Apr 6, 6:28 AM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2019

486 by Luban1 »»
Mar 18, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Syureria - Dec 13, 2019

335 by Matchappie »»
Mar 5, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2019

161 by Matchappie »»
Mar 5, 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.