Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 21, 2018 4:58 PM

May 2015
I thought this was going to be something good?I don't understand the negative comments I'm seeing.I haven't watched the show so that's a given.Can anyone enlighten me?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2018 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
they're just milking the franchise. apocrypha and this one are trash.
Feb 21, 2018 6:55 PM

Sep 2011
Punpun3 said:
they're just milking the franchise.

This should completely answers your question, OP.

Feb 21, 2018 7:02 PM

Nov 2014
Turns out even Fate fans have standards.
Feb 21, 2018 7:12 PM

May 2015
I'm still confused any specifics? I thought this was something people were hyping since its announcement and that its done by SHAFT.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2018 7:29 PM
Jul 2018
zurgboy00 said:
I'm still confused any specifics? I thought this was something people were hyping since its announcement and that its done by SHAFT.

just read the reviews.that should answer your question.
Feb 21, 2018 9:06 PM

Oct 2014
Don't read the garbage reviews pls, even the positive one deserves a not helpful vote.

This turned out to be anime-original, so now even a fair amount of the source fans don't like it. The story has a monster of the week-ish formula and alot of people may not like that. Ep 3 was bad and felt rushed, we've reached ep 4 now and new info gets thrown around without being properly explained, Extra Saber has the same face as FSN Saber and that's pissing people off appearantly.

Hakuno is very different from his game self and the other master-servant pairs don't get much development, they're just like obstacles for him and that's it, granted it was like that in the game aswell, but there you were you investigating the opponent master for 1 week before fighting them so it didn't feel as rushed compared to here.
Feb 21, 2018 9:54 PM

Apr 2010
The Fate/ series is nothing but a downward spiral after Zero.
Feb 21, 2018 11:59 PM

Feb 2017
It would be better to watch the anime yourself and form your own opinion rather than following someone else
Feb 22, 2018 12:01 AM

Apr 2016
Its Fate man, that's like the constant and pures hate ever.

antonn said:
The Fate/ series is nothing but a downward spiral after Zero.

Also this.
Feb 22, 2018 12:19 AM
Nov 2017
People wanted something like Zero, they didn't received.

Better wait for an adaptation of Strange Fake and the Camelot chapter of Grand Order, that will be more close to that.

Fate Extra is not bad but honestly, it's really not an adaptation, it's feel more like a side-story and the changes didn't really made the story
Feb 22, 2018 2:28 AM

Nov 2014
The only thing worthwhile in this show is Umu but unlike Astolfo I don't think she's able to carry a bad show on her own. It has a boring protagonist, a messy story, absolutely no tension and no real character development.
Forum Signature
Feb 22, 2018 2:43 AM

Apr 2014
Shayon said:
Don't read the garbage reviews pls, even the positive one deserves a not helpful vote.

This turned out to be anime-original, so now even a fair amount of the source fans don't like it. The story has a monster of the week-ish formula and alot of people may not like that. Ep 3 was bad and felt rushed, we've reached ep 4 now and new info gets thrown around without being properly explained, Extra Saber has the same face as FSN Saber and that's pissing people off appearantly.

Hakuno is very different from his game self and the other master-servant pairs don't get much development, they're just like obstacles for him and that's it, granted it was like that in the game aswell, but there you were you investigating the opponent master for 1 week before fighting them so it didn't feel as rushed compared to here.

This right here is the right answer.

Personally to me the anime is not "bad" like most are saying, thing is some people got too used to Ufotable and other simply don't like Shaft, when Extra has always been made by Shaft since the OP in CCC, so fans got excited and weren't surprised at all, compared to newcomers from Fate/SN and /Zero.

As a fan and someone who played the games I am enjoying it so far, most of it because of the differences comparing to the original and my curiosity to know what's going on. That said, the biggest reason why this is getting a lot of hate(the most likely at least) is because Nasu said the anime was made for both fans and newcomers, and while yes, it's a lot of different and it is a completely new story, but unless you know the characters and what happened originally in the game, a newcomer is 80% of the times completely lost because because of lack of explanation(or delayed), which means people who weren't that into it to begin with will just abandon it after the "3 episode rule" before any info comes, and rate it as bad, which to be fair we can't blame then as that IS a flaw from the Studio's part.
Feb 24, 2018 4:06 PM

Jul 2017
It's just people being people. Who cares what they think? It's their opinions. I really hate the Zero (or Fate ufotable) elitists though, they're the worst part of the fandom in my opinion...

I'm enjoying the series quite a lot and planning to go through with it till the end.
Mikura39Feb 24, 2018 4:20 PM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Feb 25, 2018 3:20 PM

Apr 2013
Well I'm not a fan of Shaft and their work but I don't find it bad. It's a mediocre show that is all.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Feb 25, 2018 6:18 PM

Apr 2014
Punpun3 said:
they're just milking the franchise. apocrypha and this one are trash.

Don't even compare Apocrypha with this average thing. At least Apocrypha was filled with cool characters that left me wanting more every week.
Feb 26, 2018 4:08 AM

Feb 2018
People are unironically having trouble understanding this. It's amazing how many questions I come across asking explanation of things they just explained in the show, or outright getting things wrong.

This show also kills characters off. Unlike every other Fate show, which has characters just fighting a whole bunch and then just walking away without any damage, the fights in this show often end up with someone dying. They're never that pointless.

This show also doesn't focus as much on fights as it does on building up the setting and story. And lastly, the fights just look shit. That's just SHAFT being SHAFT, but people who like Fate for the fights are going to be disappointed, at least until the BDs come out.

All in all, it's just very different from the typical Fate story. People were expecting more epic fights, huge casts of characters that just show off their power and walk away for stupid reasons, a Battle Royale rather than a series of 1-on-1 fights, and it doesn't have that. It's different. Not everyone likes different things.
Feb 26, 2018 6:48 AM

Apr 2017
Because hardcore fate fans were expecting too much action and haters just don't like the studio or they keep comparing SHAFT to Ufotable.

I didn't play the game (just FGO lol) but I did quite enjoy the first few eps. There were some flaws like slow pacing and slow character development of a dead-face protagonist but other than that, I feel like watching a puzzle piece that intends to complete on its end.

I don't trust MAL reviews either, so just wait for Bluray to watch it and see for yourself :)

Feb 26, 2018 7:01 AM

Mar 2010
Unfortunately I can't like this anime even though I did like the game and I love the Fate Franchise and SHAFT! It is just very mediocre, but I watch it hoping for it to get better and the servants that exists in Extra is very good. For example, Robin Hood is one of my favorite servant in the franchise and I love to watch more of him in the anime, unfortunately the made Dan into a straight up murderer instead of the proud face-to-face knight he was in the game.

Feb 26, 2018 7:10 AM

Aug 2014
its basically a pseudo sequel/alternate to extra so it leaves secondaries lost and confused
Feb 26, 2018 7:49 AM

Aug 2010
SprinterXkyrie said:
Because hardcore fate fans were expecting too much action and haters just don't like the studio or they keep comparing SHAFT to Ufotable.

No hardcore fans actually expect too much action from Fate. F/SN was a visual novel, with no animated action whatsoever. Anime-onlies are just the ones who expect action from this franchise.

Hardcore fans expect good world-building, lore, intrigue and well written characters. So far, LE delivers on most of these.
Feb 26, 2018 8:01 AM

May 2015
The story is a confusing mess because they don't explain shit. Saber is also the only interesting character.

Feb 26, 2018 8:15 AM
Jul 2018
Insertanamehere said:
its basically a pseudo sequel/alternate to extra so it leaves secondaries lost and confused

So basically wrong information that it's there for the anime onlies? I see, won't ever buy into the fate hype again.

astroprogs said:
SprinterXkyrie said:

No hardcore fans actually expect too much action from Fate. F/SN was a visual novel, with no animated action whatsoever. Anime-onlies are just the ones who expect action from this franchise.

Hardcore fans expect good world-building, lore, intrigue and well written characters. So far, LE delivers on most of these.

>well written characters

Oh yeah, just kill off most of them whenever they start a little bit to be interesting. "well written" only Red Saber has semblance of personality.

>intrigue

as if the exposition isn't dull enough with that mc.

>good world-building

maybe, it has built a world surrounded by mystery till now(though it depends on how much answers we get), will hold off my judgement until I see the end.

Only hardcore fans who read the source before maybe can see what's amazing behind this, it's not doing well in Japan too soo yeah great.
Feb 26, 2018 8:17 AM

Apr 2016
Pizzagun said:
Only hardcore fans who read the source before maybe can see what's amazing behind this, it's not doing well in Japan too soo yeah great.

Trust me, that even some hardcore fans are not enjoying this.
Feb 26, 2018 8:18 AM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
Pizzagun said:

Trust me, that even some hardcore fans are not enjoying this.

So how is he saying LE delivers on most of these? I am really baffled, fate really has a strange fandom.
removed-userFeb 26, 2018 8:30 AM
Feb 26, 2018 8:27 AM

Aug 2010
Pizzagun said:
Insertanamehere said:

So basically wrong information that it's there for the anime onlies? I see, won't ever buy into the fate hype again.

astroprogs said:

>well written characters

Oh yeah, just kill off most of them whenever they start a little bit to be interesting. "well written" only Red Saber has semblance of personality.

>intrigue

>good world-building

maybe, it has built a world surrounded by mystery till now(though it depends on how much answers we get), will hold off my judgement until I see the end.

By "most of these", the characters weren't intended to be a part of it. The characters give you nothing, and I think that's mostly intended, but that 's another discussion.

I've never felt a dull moment in the show. The setting and its timeline are very interesting to me and I can't wait to see how things pay off.

> it's not doing well in Japan too soo yeah great.

May I ask for a source of this? I'm really curious if that's indeed the case.

Pizzagun said:
So how is he saying LE delivers on most of these? I am really baffled, fate really has a strange dandom.

Because it does? Some people not liking a thing doesn't mean that a lot of other people don't, you know.

If you want to know how hardcore fate fans feel towards LE, visit Beast's Lair.
Feb 26, 2018 8:35 AM

Aug 2014
Pizzagun said:

>well written characters

cause their development/characters are added on to what existed in the original games, not meant as a standalone

So basically wrong information that it's there for the anime onlies?

nobody said that
Feb 26, 2018 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
astroprogs said:
Pizzagun said:

>well written characters

>intrigue

>good world-building

By "most of these", the characters weren't intended to be a part of it. The characters give you nothing, and I think that's mostly intended, but that 's another discussion.

I've never felt a dull moment in the show. The setting and its timeline are very interesting to me and I can't wait to see how things pay off.

> it's not doing well in Japan too soo yeah great.

May I ask for a source of this? I'm really curious if that's indeed the case.

Pizzagun said:
So how is he saying LE delivers on most of these? I am really baffled, fate really has a strange dandom.

Because it does? Some people not liking a thing doesn't mean that a lot of other people don't, you know.

If you want to know how hardcore fate fans feel towards LE, visit Beast's Lair.

Check the stalker numbers, it isn't good at all http://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/168654153/stalker-thread

Maybe you read the source that's why you are interested to see what changes will be there, he said even hardcore fans don't like it that's why my remark about it. Anyway I don't really care whether hardcore fans like it or not, some people will always be there anyway with different opinions, what I look are for the general opinions overall and that's bad.
Feb 26, 2018 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
Insertanamehere said:
Pizzagun said:

>well written characters

cause their development/characters are added on to what existed in the original games, not meant as a standalone

So basically wrong information that it's there for the anime onlies?

nobody said that

Okay, I don't really care about that since I am not interested in playing when the anime itself looks bland. My judgement will be based on what's ther in the anime, unlike some fatefans here.

>nobody said that

What's this then? https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1702562

>For the people who will watch this anime as their first "EXTRA" experience, I want this to be the starting point where they become interested in the original game and the comics (5 volumes in total, on sale from Kadokawa!)

How can you get interested if the anime doesn't provide you anything to care for?
Feb 26, 2018 8:44 AM
Jul 2018
It's just mal being mal and ufotable's widows wanting another shonen Fate.
Just ignore them and the rushed rating/previews and enjoy the show until the end.
Feb 26, 2018 8:46 AM

Apr 2014
astroprogs said:
SprinterXkyrie said:

^ Also This

Just adding to what was already said,
People seem to forget F/SN is a visual novel to begin with, action was NEVER the selling point, that's what DEEN and Ufotable made it become(not that it is a bad thing), the problem is that Fate/Zero brought a lot of new fans to the series with the promise of always having "awesome fights", when the real reason the visual novel sold well was because of it's story, interesting world, and the fact that the characters(servants) were based on known heroes of legends, books, real people, etc.

It's really disheartening and not fair when "anime-onlies" say that ZERO is the only worth while point of the series, when if that were the case it wouldn't even exist because almost all it has that is so praised for is different from the main series which is what it made the huge thing it is today.
(For the record, not trowing hate or saying Zero is bad as I admit it is good in its own way)

So if a new entry like Extra(which isn't really new as by now it's clearly a sequel of sorts to the original game) doesn't bring to the table the same things they are expecting to come as per their view of the other animes, they call it trash and/or bad.

You're free to fault it for opinion regarding animation, design, Studio, etc.
But as pointed out by astroprogs, regarding story, lore, world-building and everything else, Last Encore is pretty much on par with what is a Fate series.

Then again, most wouldn't know because, despite what Nasu said about it being for both veterans and newcomers, the anime assumes you'd have played the game to know about the characters, and spot it's differences, while most newcomers wouldn't care and be lost as hell.
Feb 26, 2018 8:49 AM

Aug 2010
Pizzagun said:
Check the stalker numbers, it isn't good at all http://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/168654153/stalker-thread

Maybe you read the source that's why you are interested to see what changes will be there, he said even hardcore fans don't like it that's why my remark about it. Anyway I don't really care whether hardcore fans like it or not, some people will always be there anyway with different opinions, what I look are for the general opinions overall and that's bad.

Not that these numbers mean anything for a franchise like Fate (FGO, merchandise, etc...), but even then, these numbers don't look bad at all.

Maybe because I'm familiar with the source, I'm liking LE more, sure, but that doesn't mean that the show is just bad for an anime-only, but who knows, I'm not one. As far as I'm concerned, EXTRA, the game, isn't really my favorite Fate, but the anime seems much more interesting and entertaining.

He said some of them don't like it. The fact of the matter is, most of the hardcore fans actually do like it. Hardcore fans who don't like it could give you reasons like not using the female MC or another Servant as the main one, but none of the complaints many of the anime-onlies give.
Feb 26, 2018 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
Kanon191 said:
astroprogs said:

So tl;dr, it's good for those who read the source(even though idk what's good about the story but having extra info before always helps to the knowledge and curiosit), rightfully bad for those who didn't play it and was misled thinking it will be for newcomers. Thanks for the answer.
Feb 26, 2018 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
astroprogs said:
Pizzagun said:

Not that these numbers mean anything for a franchise like Fate (FGO, merchandise, etc...), but even then, these numbers don't look bad at all.

Maybe because I'm familiar with the source, I'm liking LE more, sure, but that doesn't mean that the show is just bad for an anime-only, but who knows, I'm not one. As far as I'm concerned, EXTRA, the game, isn't really my favorite Fate, but the anime seems much more interesting and entertaining.

He said some of them don't like it. The fact of the matter is, most of the hardcore fans actually do like it. Hardcore fans who don't like it could give you reasons like not using the female MC or another Servant as the main one, but none of the complaints many of the anime-onlies give.

Not maybe THAT bad, but those numbers are average/below average, at least I can assure you that if you didn't check out the whole thread(even fate cooking is selling better). Anyway from what I checked the reception isn't good too but rn I don't have the source for that.

I am not really so sure of that since I have heard similar complaints from hardcore fans too, but whatever as I said I don't really care about that.
Feb 26, 2018 9:06 AM

Aug 2010
Pizzagun said:
Not maybe THAT bad, but those numbers are average/below average, at least I can assure you that if you didn't check out the whole thread(even fate cooking is selling better). Anyway from what I checked the reception isn't good too but rn I don't have the source for that.

I am not really so sure of that since I have heard similar complaints from hardcore fans too, but whatever as I said I don't really care about that.

It seems above average to me, especially in a season with big hitters like VE and DitF, but whatever.
Each Fate cooking volume is much smaller and cheaper (due to having way less content), so of course it'll sell more copies. That says nothing on the profit margins of both in any way.
I'll wait for actual concrete numbers from official polls and sales figures later on, not highly inaccurate stalker APIs, myself.

I'm inclined to believe that you've heard complaints from hardcore fans, but not similar ones to yours, or to the point of ruining the show for them like in your case.
Feb 26, 2018 9:11 AM
Jul 2018
astroprogs said:
Pizzagun said:

It seems above average to me, especially in a season with big hitters like VE and DitF, but whatever. Fate cooking volume is much smaller and cheaper (due to having way less content), so of course it'll sell more copies. That says nothing on the profit margins of both in any way.
I'll wait for actual concrete numbers from official polls and sales figures later on, not highly inaccurate stalker APIs, myself.

I'm inclines to believe that you've heard complaints, but not the similar ones to yours, or to the point of ruining the show for them like in your case.

not really, if you see the tierwise list below, even the likes of Yuru camp, antarctica, or even death march etc etc are selling more. And I see your point of fate cooking, and yes that will give a more clearer picture

Well hardcore fans of course won't get their Fate show totally ruined unless it's something that trigger them, at least the curiosity factor will gain some points.
Feb 26, 2018 9:11 AM
Captain Eyepatch

Dec 2015
The only thing you can hype about, is the 'Umu counter'.

How far will it go..
Feb 26, 2018 9:32 AM
Nov 2017
All the hate is because they're just milking the franchaise
Feb 26, 2018 9:33 AM
Nov 2017
All the hate is because they're just milking the franchaise
Feb 26, 2018 11:59 AM

Aug 2014
Pizzagun said:
Insertanamehere said:

nobody said that

Okay, I don't really care about that since I am not interested in playing when the anime itself looks bland. My judgement will be based on what's ther in the anime, unlike some fatefans here.

>nobody said that

>For the people who will watch this anime as their first "EXTRA" experience, I want this to be the starting point where they become interested in the original game and the comics (5 volumes in total, on sale from Kadokawa!)

How can you get interested if the anime doesn't provide you anything to care for?

be interested->dont understand story->read game to understand it
Feb 26, 2018 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
Insertanamehere said:
Pizzagun said:

>nobody said that

be interested->dont understand story->read game to understand it

oh yeah I am sure those who find the anime bad with no appealing characters will check out the game lol
Feb 28, 2018 4:09 AM

Feb 2015
The first episode was a total trainwreck where nothing made sense. It has improved over that last few episodes but theres no escaping the fact its a confusing mess.

None of the terms are explained so most of the dialogue is gibberish.Nero is the only reason i continue as I like her character.

Fate fans will proclaim its a great show in the same way they said Apoc was good. The Fate franchise peaked with Zero. Grand Order was nonsense trash, Apoc was dissapointing and Extra is just confusing.
Feb 28, 2018 5:35 AM

Aug 2010
Crashmatt said:
The first episode was a total trainwreck where nothing made sense. It has improved over that last few episodes but theres no escaping the fact its a confusing mess.

None of the terms are explained so most of the dialogue is gibberish.Nero is the only reason i continue as I like her character.

Fate fans will proclaim its a great show in the same way they said Apoc was good. The Fate franchise peaked with Zero. Grand Order was nonsense trash, Apoc was dissapointing and Extra is just confusing.

All of the terms were explained, actually. The only unexplained things in the show are the "why", not the "what", with one exception; 'Dead Face".
I recommend watching better subs, like Chyuu, because the speed subs are pretty bad.

If you have any questions still, ask away.

About the other Fate shows:
Very few people actually said that Apocrypha was good. It was proclaimed mediocre by the fans before it even aired, because they knew the quality of the source material.
Grand Order is literally an adaptation of a tutorial. It wasn't really meant to be a special you can watch and get an actual story. You just get a vague premise, and even then, you barely get that. It's meant to advertise the game, not to be watched on its own.
Extra is confusing on purpose, but only if you're watching it with the good subs. It's a mystery that is meant to be pieced together, little piece at a time.
astroprogsFeb 28, 2018 5:44 AM
Mar 1, 2018 6:46 PM

Jun 2013
Answer -

Cuz they dont play the game. if you think Apocrypha was bad you wont like this one for sure

adaption wise its pretty good in my opinion. to be honest the story in extra is just boring. u cant really get much out of it, i strongly disliked the setting of the game where everything is stuck on the school permanently. got sick of it very quickly when u do the same crap over for 10 times

this anime changes that bull crap and remade it into open world/ like SAO floors

even for people who dont play the game i dont think this is too bad. they already explained pretty much what happened on Ep5 very clearly. with more to come

im just disappointed the main character is Umu over Tamamo

Mar 4, 2018 7:13 AM
Jun 2017
I personally am not a hater of the show, im just a sad one since for me the pacing of the story is too fast, i mean its just finished watching the 5th episode then its already going on the 3rd floor.

*the backstory is way longer than the actual fights in this series that made me more sad on this one, the first floor has more of backstory than the fight with the boss and more so over with the 2nd floor that its more on backstory and the fight scene is too quick that after they have finished showing their noble phantasm you will just realized that the fight scenes are already finished and then they are going on the next floor. hahaha...
Mar 4, 2018 9:17 AM

Oct 2015
Tennouji said:
Punpun3 said:
they're just milking the franchise.

This should completely answers your question, OP.
I second this. It's pretty much the truth xD
Mar 4, 2018 1:06 PM

Jul 2015
for someone who hasn't watched a single fate series.. i found Last Encore to be really interesting and mystery type anime.. and even after 5 episodes.. my likeness to this anime hasn't lowered a single bit.. idk about the Fate series fan.. i guess they hoped for something else and got something completely else..
i consider this to be one of the best among the ongoing anime..
Mar 4, 2018 1:34 PM

Jul 2015
If Arthuria is not MC, it is destined to receive hate.

Mar 4, 2018 1:58 PM
Mar 2017
The series is rushed. There's tons of potential here for something on the level of Zero but the rushed pacing is ruining the premise. The confusion is both a symptom of the pacing and the fact it's supposed to be a mystery. You can also blame the rushed production of the show on the inconsistent animation quality.

The fight scenes are also quite underwhelming. I still overall like the show as is but I cannot help but be disappointed at what this could have been given more time to develop and presumably more episodes than we're gonna get.
Mar 4, 2018 10:18 PM

Dec 2015
I can't understand whats with this trash...
the title of Fate is just a name for making money for anime studios
anyway adapting a game to anime is usually "kou naru" !!!

my imagination of shaft is going to ruin...

but...

sangatsu...

just compare these two anime -_-

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

119 by bl3nk_anime »»
Apr 23, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

210 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

221 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

63 by SomeDudeOverHere »»
Apr 12, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2018

72 by Selleri_UmU »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.