Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Heroic Legend of Arslan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 26, 2015 1:47 PM
Jul 2018
Narsus is a great guy!

Arslan finally get Narsus to serve under him.
Apr 26, 2015 1:48 PM

Aug 2014
I know I say this every week up the ending is amazing!

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 26, 2015 1:50 PM

Oct 2013
That part where Arslan and Daryun are grieving over the death of the father suddenly shifting to a light hearted breakfast scene really bothered me.
I'd go with emobubbles, but someone else already had it, damn bastard.
Apr 26, 2015 2:08 PM

Jan 2008
I can't decide who is cooler - Narsus or Daryun....ah, heck, I love them both :)
Apr 26, 2015 2:26 PM

Aug 2014
not bad.
Apr 26, 2015 2:47 PM

Sep 2014
Man, this series is awesome. I love the pacing and how they take their time to develop these characters. Great thing we have 25 episodes, that way nothing has to be rushed. The trap was really funny, I wasn't expecting it at all.
Apr 26, 2015 3:02 PM

Jul 2011
Mich666 said:
When he started crying or asking about slaves I cringed. I really don't like such naive characters and it seems it's not going any better. Arslan literally kills this story.

And royal painter, eh? Such weak argument, even though it was his hobby. I thought he would promise him to free all slaves instead, that would be more valuable offer.

As for Narsus, I can't see how he can be persuaded by promise of son of a king when he should know that king won't agree with this (they still don't know he's dead for sure)

The series really tries to look like super-serious yet in those key moments its very very childish.

I think Arslan's portrayal is actually quite nice. He's obviously sheltered, innocent and naive, but at the same time he had good judgement, is relatively calm, very kind hearted (he wept for Varhriz), and is beginning to see what needs to be done. Yet he's still learning and trying to discover how he wants to change in the kingdom - for example he still hasn't distinctly said to abolish slavery, but obviously is thinking about it. He has a vague foresight which will only become greater in time. He also practically declared this episode that he would "overthrow" his father and take the throne eventually (he doesn't know that he's dead yet), and that's coming from a 14 year old "wimp". It's important to remember that this is an EPIC (a "nobody" becomes a legendary figure), so Arslan won't be perfect at the start, but he has all the necessary traits. (I can't help but compare it to Akatsuki no Yona, except Yona lived under a rock and was shocked at any minor atrocity.) Though this will only be 2 cours, so we probably won't get to see Arslan become amazing. :/

The reason that Narsus laughed and accepted the offer was not because he wanted to be Court Painter - well yes it is, but that's not the underlying reason. Narsus was testing Arslan's character when he asked what Arslan would offer him. Arslan offered him not wealth, power or status, but something that would bring no benefit to him. Narsus judged Arlsan's character to be unique, developing, different, and full of potential, thus he accepted. Narsus is not looking for a strong, undefeatable king: he's looking to support someone that shares his vision, has the right values, and can change the country. Arslan doesn't look down on people and doesn't rely on his birthright, which is proved by offering his trust to Narsus (in the form of "I'll give you the position of Court Painter" - a useless position that implies no real gain for Narsus). You also have to pay attention to the dialogue/events before that scene too, like where Narsus witnesses Arslan's tears at Vahriz's death.

I feel like the atmosphere of the series makes people take it at face value more than reading into the underlying stuff.
Arakawa's attempt at humour doesn't help... but I think I'm growing used to the character designs now - my only exception will be Farangis.
And what the hell can they cover in just 2 cours!? Just the manga material. OTL
MirorinApr 26, 2015 3:30 PM
Apr 26, 2015 3:46 PM

Feb 2015
Thought Arslan was gonna say he is going to abolish slavery if Narsus joins him, but nope court painter it is lol.

<In the ghost town of our love
there is a player piano
trying to prove it can make music
without being touched.
My fingertips miss her so much.>
Apr 26, 2015 3:49 PM

Feb 2015
Mirorin said:
Mich666 said:
When he started crying or asking about slaves I cringed. I really don't like such naive characters and it seems it's not going any better. Arslan literally kills this story.

And royal painter, eh? Such weak argument, even though it was his hobby. I thought he would promise him to free all slaves instead, that would be more valuable offer.

As for Narsus, I can't see how he can be persuaded by promise of son of a king when he should know that king won't agree with this (they still don't know he's dead for sure)

The series really tries to look like super-serious yet in those key moments its very very childish.

I think Arslan's portrayal is actually quite nice. He's obviously sheltered, innocent and naive, but at the same time he had good judgement, is relatively calm, very kind hearted (he wept for Varhriz), and is beginning to see what needs to be done. Yet he's still learning and trying to discover how he wants to change in the kingdom - for example he still hasn't distinctly said to abolish slavery, but obviously is thinking about it. He has a vague foresight which will only become greater in time. He also practically declared this episode that he would "overthrow" his father and take the throne eventually (he doesn't know that he's dead yet), and that's coming from a 14 year old "wimp". It's important to remember that this is an EPIC (a "nobody" becomes a legendary figure), so Arslan won't be perfect at the start, but he has all the necessary traits. (I can't help but compare it to Akatsuki no Yona, except Yona lived under a rock and was shocked at any minor atrocity.) Though this will only be 2 cours, so we probably won't get to see Arslan become amazing. :/

The reason that Narsus laughed and accepted the offer was not because he wanted to be Court Painter - well yes it is, but that's not the underlying reason. Narsus was testing Arslan's character when he asked what Arslan would offer him. Arslan offered him not wealth, power or status, but something that would bring no benefit to him. Narsus judged Arlsan's character to be unique, developing, different, and full of potential, thus he accepted. Narsus is not looking for a strong, undefeatable king: he's looking to support someone that shares his vision, has the right values, and can change the country. Arslan doesn't look down on people and doesn't rely on his birthright, which is proved by offering his trust to Narsus (in the form of "I'll give you the position of Court Painter" - a useless position that implies no real gain for Narsus). You also have to pay attention to the dialogue/events before that scene too, like where Narsus witnesses Arslan's tears at Vahriz's death.

I feel like the atmosphere of the series makes people take it at face value more than reading into the underlying stuff.
Arakawa's attempt at humour doesn't help... but I think I'm growing used to the character designs now - my only exception will be Farangis.

I second that mate. Great observations.

<In the ghost town of our love
there is a player piano
trying to prove it can make music
without being touched.
My fingertips miss her so much.>
Apr 26, 2015 4:25 PM

Jun 2007
I think the most interesting part of this episode is the question that Daryun set forth, regarding the King and Queen and their relationship with Arslan. I haven't read the source or watched the prior anime to know any spoilers, but I can't disregard the possibility that the answer to that question is also related to the strategist who killed the King as a form of vengeance.
Apr 26, 2015 4:33 PM

Apr 2014
So now Narsus join the team.
Arslan got himself one of the best strategist that defeated the three kingdoms.
Sad that Daryun's uncle is dead, he is a great man too.
Interesting, can't wait for more!
Apr 26, 2015 4:44 PM

Oct 2013
Another great episode, that trap and plate throw though.

Can't wait for the next episode.

Apr 26, 2015 5:08 PM

Nov 2011
Decent ep, felt they could've done it in half the time though. When he mentioned Court painter i initially laughed cause i assumed it was some sort of lowly position, guess i was wrong.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 26, 2015 5:23 PM

Sep 2013
Nice episode. I really love the OP and ED songs
(is it just me or is this a lot like akatsuki no yona)

Apr 26, 2015 5:31 PM
Jun 2014
emobuttercup said:
That part where Arslan and Daryun are grieving over the death of the father suddenly shifting to a light hearted breakfast scene really bothered me.

I thought the same thing. That was way too sudden.
Apr 26, 2015 5:58 PM

Jun 2012
I thought this anime was going to be more interesting that it actually is. It's not giving much impact, the only interesting scene was the badass old man fighting. I know the animation is good but sometimes it seems plain or something...
"Court painter" was really funny though XD
Apr 26, 2015 6:16 PM

Nov 2014
Arslan has some great convincing skills :p Court painter Huh XD!

Narsus seems one of a kind: wise, skilled swordsman and stupid, I like him already.
I don't think he is Arslan's father as some of you suggested, yes Arslan definitely has some mystery about his origin but I don't think this is it.
Apr 26, 2015 6:26 PM

Oct 2011
Court Painter : 0
Apr 26, 2015 6:31 PM
Nov 2013
Narsus is awesome, I really wanted to see his art :( Elam reminds me of Alphonse from FMA.

Awesome episode. Got some good character development and great new cast additions.
Apr 26, 2015 6:48 PM

Oct 2011
Prince Arslan is a true prince. So soothing to see such a dignified monarch. legit. love this show. The progression is just perfect. U can see the effort they put into it.
Apr 26, 2015 8:30 PM

May 2010
So next episode is about finding the female warrior. Then things should take off. I have my faith in you Yoshiki Tanaka.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 26, 2015 9:34 PM

Apr 2014
Offer everything they had, Narsus refused to server his highness.
"I will appoint you as a court painter." - Hell yeah.
Apr 26, 2015 11:41 PM
Mar 2010
Continues to be one of the, if not the best this season. Loving every bit of it.
Apr 27, 2015 12:37 AM
Mar 2015
That Narsus guy is pretty interesting. All in all, awesome episode, can’t wait to see more.
Apr 27, 2015 1:56 AM

Dec 2014
i feel an urge to see atleast one of narsu's paintings...

Apr 27, 2015 2:22 AM

Jan 2014
This show is painful to watch weekly!!! I love the pacing and the episode number (25), but man I hate having to wait for more of the story! >.<

I really liked this episode; it was nice to have some humor. Narsus will be an enjoyable character, even more so with his relationship with Daryun. I also want to see one of his paintings... Maybe they'll only show his art once he's painted the Prince! XD

I enjoy this kind of character development, where an ignorant, good natured young'un starts to learn about how messed up his world is, and while feeling powerless at first, then gains the courage to make change. I'm really looking forward to next week's episode. ^.^
Apr 27, 2015 3:58 AM

Dec 2012
Narsus is a cool and smart guy, I want to see his schemas. Arslan took the good decision.
Apr 27, 2015 4:10 AM

Dec 2013
Anime of the season, calling it now.
Apr 27, 2015 4:22 AM

Jul 2014
I have to see Narsus' painting now.
Apr 27, 2015 4:27 AM

Jul 2014
Mirorin said:
Mich666 said:

I agree with this. Painting is Narsus' hobby, I doubt he'll take up the position of the court painter. He was just amused by Arslan's offer. But I doubt Androgas is dead. He was never shown dead, and the opening has a brief flash of him (or at least someone resembling him) tied up in a dungeon.
Apr 27, 2015 4:31 AM

May 2014
AOTS right here bois. Court Painter huh. xD
Apr 27, 2015 4:32 AM

Jul 2014
I will never be able to get over how moe Arslan is. And I reallyyyyyyyyyyy want to see one of Narsus's paintings <3
Apr 27, 2015 7:30 AM

Sep 2014
Good episode overall. Narsus seems like a great guy. Though I'm REALLY curious to see what sorta paintings he draws which make Daryun look away in disgust lol.
Apr 27, 2015 12:29 PM

Jul 2011
I'm really getting this Akatsuki no Yona vibe right now...
Apr 27, 2015 4:12 PM

Dec 2010
I like characters like Narsus, they put their plans in place and carry them out perfectly. I am interested in seeing what he can bring to the series. But his plan that defeated the three alliance was impressive, and very well thought out.

I thought it was funny thought that they were casually having breakfast next to a pit of soldiers! Also, I see that this is two cour. Good, it needs to be probably to even scratch the surface of the source novels.
Apr 27, 2015 7:17 PM

Apr 2015
Based on what they say about Arslan's relationship with his parents in this episode and the mention that he didn't look like the king in a previous one, I'm wondering if Arslan is the product of an affair the Queen had. But would they put something like that in a shounen anime?

That was surprising how Arlsan got Narsus to work for him.

This series is starting to pick up.
Apr 27, 2015 7:38 PM

Mar 2015
arslan has lots of room for development; i hope we get that, it'd be great! <:
it was a good episode.

can't unhear the inaho tone on elam's voice tho JKHJKSDHkDLS good thing i like natsuki's voice.
Apr 27, 2015 10:44 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode!

I didn't like how once again Arslan is being a wimp once again. I know it's part of character development, but damn i want to hit this kid in the face and actually man up.

Narsus is cool, it's a shame they didn't showed any samples of the painting. I betting it's something erotic and all :)

Elam seems to be at least wary of Arslan. I have to wonder if he's willing to follow Arslan now that Narsus seems to be joining him.

Tbh i thought Arslan would say he would free the slaves all over the country after being king. Andragoras III is probably not dead(only Vahriz) and is probably being withhold in a torture like in one of the art in the ED.

Can't wait for the next episode!
Apr 28, 2015 1:06 AM

Oct 2009
Coldblade said:
Mirorin said:

I agree with this. Painting is Narsus' hobby, I doubt he'll take up the position of the court painter. He was just amused by Arslan's offer. But I doubt Androgas is dead. He was never shown dead, and the opening has a brief flash of him (or at least someone resembling him) tied up in a dungeon.

Arslan offer is actually shocking to Narsus and Daryun, because I'm pretty sure that both of them think that Arslan is going to promise to free the slaves. But instead he said that Narsus should be the royal painter. It is not the premise of the title that is taken their interest, but because of Arslan reasoning that he'd rather be painted by the worst painter of his own court than by the best painter of their enemies. It shown that Arslan has resolute willpower to keep the fight, even knowing how bad their positions are.

Another light to that decisions is he didn't vow to free the slaves for Narsus or anyone else, if it is going to happens it will be entirely of his own willingness to abolish it, he didn't want to make a promise when he himself haven't reached a conviction of his own words. It is from this perspective the most palatable answers is indeed, royal painters.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 28, 2015 7:47 AM

Jul 2012
MisakaTheRailgun said:
Anime of the season, calling it now.
Apr 28, 2015 1:49 PM

Oct 2007
AntonKutovoi said:
Mich666 said:

Yes, how dare he to show any emotions? Everyone knows that main character is supposed to be unemotional robot, even if he is 14 years old.

Yes this isn't some show with a character like Inaho Kaizuka who is just magically good at everything and just effortlessly owns anyone in his way pretty much singlehandedly by using some improbable tactic or weakness exploitation that invoked results in his opponent just instantly folding. This isn't a story of one dimensional characters who brute force their way through things and where only two teenaged boys are capable of accomplishing anything at all while regular armies of trained soldiers are like Dynasty Warriors canon fodder and as time goes on you'll see how Arslans compassion and understanding of how to win over and maintain powerful and skilled allies is a far greater weapon than pure martial prowess and might. This isn't Aldnoah.Zero, where nobody ever develops or has anything interesting going on with their story line where a 15 year old boy with no practical military experience can beat an entire army all by himself and it's far better, more interesting and mature for it by a long shot because he has to do things the hard way and good luck finding contrived situations where it's just one on one let alone constantly. He was lucky enough to just barely survive that one encounter with a random grunt soldier cause guess what he's 14 and the guys a soldier.

It's so nice to have another military anime to go along with Sidonia is this season that doesn't seemingly go out of its way to insult the intelligence of its viewers and has characters worth giving in a shit about where you want to see what happens next and who will survive. This is how this genre should be done at the basest of expectations but few seem to want to do anymore. I'm hoping with the sagging fortune of shows like Aldnoah that put style over substance and strong characters and storytelling and the rising fortunes of this show and things like Sidonia and Gundam the Origin with their good strong and deliberate character drama and proper escalation of events along with taking the idea of conflict seriously are a sign of a slow turnaround for this genre, though next seasons Gate and what I hear about it don't have me holding my breath just yet.
PeacingOutApr 28, 2015 2:00 PM
Apr 28, 2015 3:34 PM

Jul 2010
Great episode and introduction to Narsus.

+1000 to Narsus throwing a plate at the tower of soldiers.
Apr 28, 2015 6:25 PM

Jan 2014
Zepherius said:
Narsus is such a babe.
<3
Yup <3
I like how he uses 'watashi' awws <3
Such a great cast of characters <3
Arslan and Narsus ftw <3 <3 <3 <3
Apr 28, 2015 11:50 PM

Jul 2013
lol not bad, not bad...

Arslan really knows what makes Narsus ticks.. I thought he was going to offer the abolition of slavery but I suppose he needs more time and development to reach that point. Man, watching this makes me want to play Suikoden 5 again XD
Apr 29, 2015 12:03 AM
Oct 2010
MoeGod said:
lol not bad, not bad...

Arslan really knows what makes Narsus ticks.. I thought he was going to offer the abolition of slavery but I suppose he needs more time and development to reach that point. Man, watching this makes me want to play Suikoden 5 again XD

I think the biggest reason he didn't offer slavery is because he never viewed slavery as a bad thing and is quite conflicted when he's suddenly presented with another point of view. I thought that was one of the most interesting about that scene because I to thought he would offer ending slavery but he instead appealed to Narsus personal interests rather than his ideals.
Apr 29, 2015 3:13 AM

Jan 2012
This episode was pretty slowly paced I think, are they expecting a second season for this series?
Apr 29, 2015 5:30 AM

Oct 2014
Narsus is such a neeeeeerd I LOVE HIM HAHA
Apr 29, 2015 5:47 AM

Dec 2013
Skullk1d28 said:
This episode was pretty slowly paced I think, are they expecting a second season for this series?

No but it has been confirmed for 25 episodes.
Apr 29, 2015 9:14 AM
Dec 2014
It's a little too early to judge, but so far this series has been pretty mediocre. The story reminds me of Akatsuki no Yona, only the latter was far superior in every aspect.
Apr 29, 2015 9:43 AM

Oct 2009

Everytime I read Akatsuki no Yona reference for the n-th times in Arslan Senki thread.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2015

174 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 29, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2015

237 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 29, 4:09 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Apr 5, 2015

326 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 29, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2015

102 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 4, 5:03 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2015

84 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 1, 3:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.