Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jun 20, 2015 7:56 AM
Dec 2011
a brilliant masterpiece that will remain eternally in my soul love it ! :3 everything about it is perfect and every minute was i mean is epic :3
Jul 21, 2015 1:00 PM

Feb 2012
Remembered watching this on Toonami along with Castle in Sky over 10 years ago. Still an amazing masterpiece, love it.
Jul 29, 2015 10:59 AM
May 2015
This movie is a masterpiece
Aug 16, 2015 8:52 AM

Oct 2014
Boring 7/10. Gedo Senki and Howl's Moving Castle was way better
Sep 28, 2015 2:13 AM
May 2014
Watched this movie many times and loved it. However while listening to some Sam smith one day I realised that the background music was copied from the movie. The song is called writings on the wall - Sam smith have a listen and see if you agree with me.
Sep 30, 2015 6:11 PM

Oct 2013
Never been a big fan of the Miyazaki movies but there's something about this one that kept me interested from the beginning to the end.

Nov 22, 2015 10:09 AM

Jan 2014
This was truly marvellous ~
Nov 25, 2015 2:25 PM

Jul 2009
What a visually stunning film, I always enjoy any anime which explores Japanese folklore in any way and this was no exception. It reminded me of Nausicaä in places and My Neighbour Totoro in others with the environmental themes throughout and the spirits of the forest idea. The ending almost reminded me of the very end of Final Fantasy VII with the way all the flowers grew on Iron Town just like how vegetation started to grow in Midgar. Overall 9/10.
Jan 11, 2016 4:34 AM

Apr 2015
I don't often watch films because the plot is too short for me but i got to admit that this is a superb film
Jan 14, 2016 11:15 PM

Apr 2014
Did he just forget about his village and family in the end when he opted to stay at the ironworks?

Whatever. Great film. 9/10
Feb 4, 2016 12:09 PM

Jun 2009
It took me 2 of Ghibli's film (Arriety and Spirited Away) to finally get into their roster.

I would say this is quite moving and it is almost to perfection, I love everything.
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Feb 13, 2016 8:41 AM

Jun 2013
Great movie.

Humans only think about humans, and don't care about another live beings. That is why San can't trust humans.
I'm learning english.
Feb 17, 2016 3:50 PM

Apr 2013
Cnon said:
Boring 7/10. Gedo Senki and Howl's Moving Castle was way better

Bullshit!
Gorou Miyazaki should go and fuck himself. Howl's castle was way too short and the themes were left unexplored.

Out of all the acclaimed works of ghibli Grave of the fireflies easily takes the cake for being the most realistic war drama about children. As for Mononoke I like the way it presented the conflict between the nature and humans plus the characters where of a different blend than the ones Miyazaki always does. In this case it wasn't one-sided and the conflict was more grey comparing to the Nausicaa movie. But if we're talking about the manga then it's a different story.
Feb 20, 2016 11:18 AM

Jan 2012
What a creep creature to see for intro and big wolfs
really liked ost and story
9/10 this movie , i need more

best movie of Miyazaki

Mar 25, 2016 7:25 AM

Feb 2015
Protaku said:
Did he just forget about his village and family in the end when he opted to stay at the ironworks?

Whatever. Great film. 9/10

I clearly remember that ashitaka said he would "only" help them to rebuild their village.

10/10
I gave this rate from the first moment i've heard the opening theme of the film
and in the last it gets approved and became the best anime I've ever seen
Apr 6, 2016 9:46 PM

Oct 2009
I've rewatched this yesterday with my friend (who saw this for the first time). Miyazaki's talent is truely remarkable. Can't believe it's been almost 20 years since it was released. Definitely a must-see.
Apr 22, 2016 6:41 AM

Aug 2014
Miyazaki, Hayao, Hisaishi, Joe and Studio Ghibli never fail to amuse me with their creativity and fascinating imagination.

Very quick evaluation:

Animation: 9. Excellent animation, keeping in mind this was released in 1999, truly great job here.

Art:10. Although the character design is not detailed everything else is really well done.

Sounds: From the voice acting to the soundtrack to the sound effects its all well made, especially if Mr.Hisaishi contributed in it. (10)

Story: Good pacing, the content of the plot is great, and the conclusion is good, -2 is for the forced events all the way. (8)

Characters: Very good, it has development, good traits. (8)

Enjoyment: 9 (Studio Ghibli movies are awesome)

Value:9

Overall: It was an excellent movie, second best behind Spirited Away (which imo its only advantage over Princess Mononoke is the amazing creativity and magic it had)

Rating: 8.8/10

Apr 24, 2016 10:30 PM
Jan 2008
Newheights said:

Although, I should not have watched it dubbed. That was my mistake. The voice acting reminded me a bit of Speed Racer >>

There is nothing majorly wrong with the dubbing of "Princess Mononoke." The only weak point is Claire Danes as San; although she's fine for the most part, she does miss some lines on occasion. Everybody else does a great job, especially Billy Crudup, Minnie Driver, and especially Keith David. Neil Gaiman's script is also fantastic, doing a great job of remaining faithful to the original while tweaking the dialogue to sound natural. It was hailed as one of the best dubs ever made back in 1999, and as far as I'm concerned, the dub holds up well today. I tried watching it in Japanese, and it's not bad at all, although I personally found Moro's Japanese VA rather strange. I'm sure Miyazaki had his reasons, but I've always envisioned Moro to be a matriarch, and there was something about Gillian Anderson's take of this character fleshed out that aspect. On this instance, I actually prefer the dub, as I do for Miyazaki's work. Go ahead, tell me that I have no right to say I'm a fan and that I should "only watch in Japanese or Don't watch at all", but I don't care. "Princess Mononoke" is, as far as I'm concerned, an awesome movie either way. Period.
May 27, 2016 2:14 PM

May 2014
Very good movie. Great attention to detail, as expected from Studio Ghibli.

On a side note: That boar at the beginning of the movie, with those black 'worms' around it. There were enemies like that on Resident Evil 5, they were covered with something that resembled these and you had to expose their bodies so you could damage them. I was thinking maybe the game devs watched the movie and 'borrowed' that idea... lol
Jun 14, 2016 2:16 PM

Jun 2015
I will give up all of the movie just for the scene when the deer god lost his head. This was simply magnificent.

The deer god looked creepy as hell though
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jul 7, 2016 6:09 PM

Nov 2012
This movie did an excellent job portraying the conflict between human advancement in technology and the environment. Humans have a need to prosper and grow in power. Princess Eboshi shows this through the ironworks. Living conditions for the people is good especially for the women since they are treated better compared to anywhere else in this time period. This comes at a cost of deforesting the environment home to spirits and animal tribes for resources. The grey line between human vs nature is what makes this movie amazing.
Jul 13, 2016 12:33 PM

Jan 2013
Great film, showing technology vs nature.
The animation was topnotch (to be expected from Miyazaki films)
I really liked the characters, both main characters fit perfectly into the film.

Kinda surprised me at the start though, wasnt ready to see limbs flying of that casually (especially at the start)

9/10
Aug 26, 2016 11:01 AM

Aug 2013
He could lift a huge ass door that must be opened by 10 people but couldn't lift a single pig? LOL
Sep 7, 2016 1:10 PM

Jun 2011
I agree with the OP, the series has gotten really cheesy towards the end, and the main protagonist, (who unfortunately wasn't San), Ashitaka, is very much alike the generic male protagonist you will see today. The first half was pretty decent but I've lost interest in the story and characters by the second half. I was totally not expecting Ashitaka to be the protagonist by looking that the promotional picture. I also have no interest in the themes that were presented in this movie as it did not give me a reason to care.

It's the same issues that I have with Spirited Away, lacking in story and characters, but had great musics and animation. It is truly a wasted potential imo by not having San as the protagonist.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 13, 2016 8:45 PM

Jul 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and the fact that it was beautifully animated doesn't hurt either. The story was captivating and I really like the themes that was portrayed in the movie. It was a feel good movie that had you rooting for the characters throughout the movie. Miyazaki's ability to put life in his characters is as strong as ever.

I do not know why I put off seeing this film for such a long time, but I'm glad I watched it now.

However with that said, I felt that the ending was a little abrupt. Seeing San and Ashitaka part ways after saying a few words to each other felt a bit underwhelming. To be honest, I was hoping for more between the two. Both are completely bad ass characters and I really enjoyed their presence on the screen together.

I'm giving this a 9/10
KosuniSep 13, 2016 10:46 PM
The Net is Vast and Infinite
Sep 22, 2016 5:09 AM

Feb 2014
Proud to say this marked the 10,000 "episode" of anime i've seen.

Much worth :)

/subtle brag over

Oct 16, 2016 8:47 AM

Jun 2014
Solid movie all the way through. God tier animation and art.

9/10
:3
Nov 17, 2016 11:10 PM

Oct 2015
The story was good on my part but i believe the titled was Princess mononoke but the story was focused on Ashitaka more than San. Other than that the story was typical whereby the fight was about the forest or nature Avatar and kaze no tani no nausicaa style.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 31, 2016 11:57 AM

Apr 2011
Its been so long since I wanted to watch this put I ended up putting it off for some reason. And I finally had to chance to watch this special movie to celebrate new year. The stunning visuals still good to look at even at today's time. It did not really captivate me much. I thought Ashitaka would forget his village at the end. It was worth watching this movie classic that it made me feel nostalgic.
May 26, 2017 1:16 AM

Aug 2007
This is easily the best movie Miyazaki has ever made. I've seen this five or six times over the past decade, and the atmosphere of this film is still superb as ever. The pacing is impeccable and the art is magnificent. It's a decently simple story line and the characters aren't as memorable as Howl's Moving Castle, but it takes the cake in captivating ambience. It also has just the right amount of dark imagery to remind the viewer humans and nature are unforgiving in life and death.

8/10

Sep 12, 2017 8:32 AM

Aug 2017
In my opinion, this movie is not that great as everybody wants to think.

Yes, its Ghibli's work, so the sound, art and setting (atmosphere) are just top notch. I would even say they're astonishing! But I cannot tell the same about the plot and MC (Ashitaka). Unfortunately, they are dull and plain. What is the main idea of this movie? I dunno, it just seems to me that the plot was made out of thin air. It goes nowhere. And Ashitaka, why does he even exist? The story would be the same even without him. He hesitates, tries to have a foot in both camps and so on. Bad example to follow. The secondary characters are good tho. But their screen time is too little.

tl;dr Mononoke Hime is like James Cameron's Avatar. A dead sea fruit.
“All men are jealous idiots. And women are stupid too, to feel happy about it. It's true, there are idiots everywhere!”

“I know it's difficult to look past my brilliant tail, brain and looks, but I also have excellent ears and eyes.”

“I need to have a drink, and I need one soon!”

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf so you shut up!”
Sep 12, 2017 10:47 PM
Mar 2012
I recall half the film, probably too censored on tv. Saw in theatre recently, ost is amazing, and epic animation holds up (surprising it's 97). Quite different vibe from Spirited Away, and I don't recall all the limbs & heads tearing off, not very child friendly show.
That tentacle god gives that rare horror Cthulhu vibe. Creatures as imaginative as SA and has a sense of gruesome realism.
Thank bacon (or beef?) for cute moment. Pigs seem a recurring theme in Ghibli works.
Yakul best elk best bro.
Oct 10, 2017 2:28 PM

Dec 2016
Amazing, passed all expectations for what I had seen/heard.
Truly a classic, and one of Ghibli's best!
TheFreycookOct 10, 2017 2:48 PM
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 2, 2017 2:24 PM

Nov 2015
Good movie but there are better ones imo
Nov 24, 2017 7:53 AM

Dec 2015
Yup, I've definitely seen this Ghibli movie as a kid as well. Here I am thinking this will become my 2nd most favorite Miyazaki film, watching the anime all fine and dandy, not great, but still I'm enjoying it quite a bit...then the last 20-30 minutes happen and my enjoyment drops...6/10.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 1, 2017 4:33 AM

May 2010
I didn't enjoy it at all and while I think it was a well-made movie, I couldn't care a bit about any character. Wanna give it a 4/10 but that would be bad according to MAL's standard which I think it wasn't. So 6/10 it is. A fine movie, but one I could live without. A movie about human stupidity, but I already knew about that, how pointless wars can be at times. And how awful being greedy can get. The cycle of life thing too. Can see why people like it, it's a good movie, but you know it's perfectly alright to dislike well-made stuff. As long as you are aware.
TragicRomanceDec 1, 2017 4:36 AM
Feb 16, 2018 11:53 AM

May 2017
overrated
felt no attachment to the characters. The story wasn't bad but it wasn't anything miraculous.
Animation and music was very good
Feb 24, 2018 12:03 PM

Nov 2011
Similar to Nausicaä, Mononoke expresses the issues so dear to Miyazaki, but in this case the environmental message, I have appreciated better the way it is exposed in the first and second. Regarding the female heroine, Nausicaä's character is a span above San and a little more charismatic than Ashitaka, of which she plays the same role as an example of moral correctness and wisdom. However Mononoke manages to be convincing in all of his narrative with respect to Nausicaä and the fact of having shown an equal relationship between man and woman, is a point that I greatly appreciated; and from that little added value that allows this film to be at par or a little higher than the other I have compared.

9/10
Apr 28, 2018 11:16 AM

Feb 2018
Well, first thing's first, the music in this movie was simply outstanding.

I liked the message it sends, and the industrialization process from the perspective of animals is a nice touch.

It was an enjoyable watch, but definitely not a masterpiece.

Basically this:
shayed__ said:
overrated
felt no attachment to the characters. The story wasn't bad but it wasn't anything miraculous.
Animation and music was very good

7/10
Aug 25, 2018 9:12 AM

Jul 2017
A lot more epic in scope, violent, and slower than Miyazaki's other films with Ghibli, this was different but awesome. I saw part of Princess Mononoke long ago, so it was nice to finally see the whole thing. The gore was more disturbing, I feel, because of the art style, and this hammered home the horrors of war and violence. Musick was great and kind of Ocarina of Time-esque, and there was a lot of beautiful imagery of the forest. I especially liked the alienness of the Spirit of the Forest and the Nightwalker. That monk freaked me out a bit with how innocuous he seemed at the beginning to how sinister he turned out to be. I do have to say that the characters were a little weaker than I expected with Lady Eboshi being perhaps the most interesting. This was still a great movie though - pretty cool and kind of sad but hopeful.
satyrelfheimAug 25, 2018 9:17 AM
Oct 13, 2018 2:53 PM

Aug 2013
This was awful and the good animation+music are not enough to make this as good as ratings seems to give it. 5/10
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Oct 21, 2018 7:43 AM

Nov 2009
It bored me. The whole time I was thinking about what else I'd rather be watching. Am a bit perplexed as to why I adore some Ghibli movies, namely Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away but find others bland. Each to their own I guess. The animation was good atleast.
Mar 16, 2019 8:29 PM

Aug 2012
It was pretty good. Visually it stills holds up today, and was a constant delight in terms of animation quality with plenty of creative and well-moving animal/creatures on screen (my personal favourite of course being the Forest Spirit). The story solid enough and did well to convey it's main message plus the environmentalist themes were better integrated into the story than it was in say Castle in the Sky, or any of the other Ghibli films I've seen at this point. However, I didn't really care much for any of the characters or cast, and find the relationship/"romance" stuff between San and Ashitaka feeling unconvincing. My favourite character was probably Yakul, which is a problem for me. San herself has an interesting position and great design but doesn't have much going on in terms of personality, and her role is it a bit passive in the second half. Ashitaka is pretty bland. I still like them all mind you, but I've got no real attachment to any of them. Certainly a message first movie, which it does well, but not one that really got me to care much. 7/10, glad I watched it, but I don't have any desire to return to it.
Apr 29, 2019 6:39 AM

Feb 2013
It was better than I expected, best Ghibli movie I've seen so far.
May 25, 2019 9:53 AM

Sep 2018
Spectacular film, with their capital letters, Hayao Miyazaki's best film. In this film, his message arrives loud and clear, even more than the already beautifully clear message seen in the film "Nausicaä": respect for nature, in a prevalent manner, but also issues, such as the denial of war and love that he must bind everyone, even the different. Fabulous designs and backgrounds in their beauty, and references to breathtaking views, so dear to Hayao Miyazaki. Excellent soundtrack, made by the good Joe Hisaishi. Mononoke, not disfigured as a female protagonist, when compared with Nausicaä.

9/10
Jun 9, 2019 12:20 PM

Feb 2014
hm.. I think it was ´okish´

I confess I felt like using the hotkey skip 10 seconds lol
Oct 15, 2019 3:20 AM

Jun 2017
This is the second time in a week that I watched a scene of premastication in anime!lol The first one was from "Choyoyu" and then "Princess Mononoke." However, the latter was more bearable to watch. There was no sort of lustful suggestion about it.

Miyazaki sensei has done it again! This movie is another one of his masterpieces! Not even holding back to expose how cruel humans are to nature. You'd really feel sorry for the animals and I somewhat wanted all those people in the ironworks to just be exterminated!

For one thing, Ashitaka irked me for being neutral when it was apparent which side was cruel. There's so much chaos in the scene that it's amazing how he can fool himself into thinking that both humans and animals can live in harmony! Nonetheless, his efforts did not go to waste. I was satisfied enough that Lady Eboshi's arm was torn off and that finally, she came to a resolve that they'll move away to a new place and build a village there. So...Hurrah! The animals will be peaceful again!

As for Ashitaka and San's decision not ended up together, I read several complains about it. In my opinion, Ashitaka's promise to visit San every now and then was more than enough. It doesn't have to be a perfect ending otherwise, it would be cliché. Not to mention tacky!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Dec 3, 2019 1:33 PM

Aug 2017
Very good movie.

I'm glad that Eboshi survived. She had the best in mind for her people and thought that's the right thing to do. Now, she can try to change things. In the other side, I really liked the gray area in this movie. Also, I came into this film thinking it was mainly a romance lmao.

The movie was more like of a conflict of very different interests. 8/10 for the movie.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 4, 2020 4:38 PM

Aug 2018
It was a quiet fine movie
And the animation was beautiful love it
But the story was a little bit boring.
9 out of 10
🌲🌳🌻🌼🌺💐🌸💮🌿☘🍀🍁🍂🍃
Mar 29, 2020 1:01 AM
Nov 2015
This movie is a great combination of both Nausicaa and Kiki, a movie about the environment & about our hearts.

A movie with so many messages about the environment, about our current state in terms of the environment & about our civil society's point of views about the environment.

I recommend this to the governments, the big corporates/enterprises, NGOs, activists, common folks, indigenous people, everybody.

You don't solve this issue by picking sides. Each & every one of us has our own virtues.. Picking sides is just too superficial & will only cause more troubles.

But, yeah, not all people like, let alone want to be, Ashitaka.
Maybe Mr. Miyazaki's ideals are just too childish.. but, I agree with him.
finestseeker17Mar 29, 2020 1:13 AM
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Princess Mononoke vs. All Other Anime Movies

FALLEN101 - Jul 24, 2008

40 by Feitan_exe »»
May 3, 10:21 AM

» worth it

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

35 by mangalicker94 »»
Oct 14, 2023 5:37 PM

» How tf is san more favored than Ashitaka ?

STSayeb - Dec 30, 2022

7 by KayKimii »»
Dec 30, 2022 5:37 AM

» Am I the only person who didnt find Princess Mononoke to be all that great? ( 1 2 )

EmperorDemonGava - Jul 1, 2012

73 by STSayeb »»
Dec 30, 2022 2:57 AM

Poll: » This movie, mononoke hime or nausicaa valley of the wind

Hime03 - Apr 7, 2019

9 by rafasc33 »»
Nov 27, 2022 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.