Part time worker at a general store in Akiba, Yatsuki encounters a beautiful girl named Rokka when she lands on his face in the middle of a park. Much to his surprise, he's able to become friends with this beautiful girl... but she hides a terrible secret that Yatsuki will find out soon enough. With other beautiful girls that surround him, including his little sister Nanao and the maid cafe girl Moru, Yatsuki will have to fight to protect the supernatural girls around him.
There's minor spoiler in my review.
Overall, it's Monster Musume mix with To Love-ru with High school dxd and Luminous Arc 2(game). The type of harem + fan service manga you see everyday, but this has stuffs that make the difference:
- It has a decent plot. It's not completely original but the manga is good at keeping me to keep reading for plot, and fan service.
- MC is not useless, he can fight, he improves himself. From someone who freaks out over a harmless youkai girl, later become someone who wants to protect innocent youkais and doesn't tolerate senseless killing. He can be a punching bag in many battles, he sometimes feels doubt and realizes his weakness, but he doesn't coward himself, and that is admirable. And he can either use his wood sword to fight or he can fuse with youkai girls to gain special abilities (or equipment). It's very similar to Engage system of Luminous Arc 2.
- This manga has fine art, and battle scenes look very well too.
- The characters may be somewhat like To Love-ru. Like some Yuki Rito accidents and the girls react like 75% of Yui. But each character has their own unique, so I highly enjoy reading the manga.
- Last but not least, don't be afraid when you know it has fan service, because the author doesn't overuse it and the service is not plain and surprisingly very well even for me who has grown hating ecchi scenes at some point.
I finish chapter 79 and write this review because I really encourage people to read this.read more
Youkai Shoujo is a must for all monster girls fans.
The story is about a guy who gets involved with several monster girls. There is quite a bit ecchi content. And that is where the similarities to MonMusu mostly end. Even the monster girls don't overlap.
The plot resolves around Yatsuki, a part-time worker who can see spirits and tries to get his sister's soul back into her body. One day he starts getting involved with a youkai girl and from there on the snowball effect keeps on dragging him in deeper and deeper.
While the MC has a goal, the story has kind of a "youkai of the week" sheme where after each arc companions join the main cast (till chapter 46 atm). There is quite a bit hope that this will end soon and the real plot will kick in.
Everyone who read the author's previous work, "Addicted to Curry", might be surprised at the improvement in artstyle. The character designs are easy to distguinish from each other, the heroines all have different faces. The ecchi scenes look quite a bit better too.
The characters are nothing special. MC who keeps on being mistaken as a pervert, pervy schoolgirl, normal schoolgirl, schoolgirl lesbian, tsundere... but they don't lessen the enjoyment of the whole story.
The jokes are well done, the story isn't boring, the flow of the story is easy to read. You don't burst out in laughter, but sometimes you won't be helped but to smirk.
Until now I enjoyed this manga much, so I hope other people pick it up and become interested in it. This is way better than Monster Musume.read more
the story completely original.
the power of believing that Youkai exsist in this world.
it take place in real life location AKIHABARA.
Funatsu Kazuki art has improved a lot since his previous manga Curry naru Shokutaku\Addicted to Curry.
the Protagonist not just like typical rip-off harem\ecchi main character, main character completely original (luffy,naruto,ichigo,gintoki) ORIGINAL!! just some lame 20 year old "freeter" guy who is working at a certain gadget store in Akihabara.lame in good way,cool with his word not that cliche.brave even though he not strong and never give up.
the ecchi level just typical Rito To Love-Ru ecchi, accidently touch someone's boobs or pull down someone's panties BUT with better circumstances.potential to be adapted into a good animeread more