Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 8, 2015 1:54 AM
Jun 2009
What exactly does Okabe do for a living? Is he a student? No mention of him ever going to class or anything of the sort.

How are they paying the rent for the place? It was mentioned that Daru was planning on getting a part-time job to pay for the rent increase... so how were they paying it before? What does Daru even do?

Does Mayuri even go to school? Do Mayuri and Okabe both live in that apartment/lab and Daru lives somewhere else?
Mar 8, 2015 12:14 PM

Feb 2015
the show and movie are both set over summer break... Daru and Okabe are classmates, Mayuri is presumably in high school.

None of them live n the lab... according to the visual novel, Mayuri and Okabe live in Ikebukuro and Daru presumably lives there or nearby. In the series, Mayuri continually goes home at night.

it's probably safe to assume that Mayuri's job and Okabe's parents pay for the lab
Mar 8, 2015 1:53 PM
Jun 2009
aoiiku91 said:
the show and movie are both set over summer break... Daru and Okabe are classmates, Mayuri is presumably in high school.

None of them live n the lab... according to the visual novel, Mayuri and Okabe live in Ikebukuro and Daru presumably lives there or nearby. In the series, Mayuri continually goes home at night.

it's probably safe to assume that Mayuri's job and Okabe's parents pay for the lab

Then why did Kurisu say "Where is Mayuri going to go?" when Daru decided to stop paying for rent? I thought it was implying that she lived there.

I thought that was part of the point of Okabe "kidnapping" her and making her a hostage when they were young because her parents died and he didn't want her to live with relatives.
Mar 8, 2015 8:38 PM

Feb 2015
Mayuri's grandma died when she was young, not her parents.

I have no idea why Kurisu said that... it's probably just an error in the script because it's directly contradicted by the main thrust of Mayuri's arc in the series (remember all the times Okabe attempts to take her home when jumping world lines?)
Mar 30, 2015 1:22 AM
Aug 2014
OceanChild said:
Mayuri's grandma died when she was young, not her parents.

I have no idea why Kurisu said that... it's probably just an error in the script because it's directly contradicted by the main thrust of Mayuri's arc in the series (remember all the times Okabe attempts to take her home when jumping world lines?)

WELL, if you really want to get all technical about it, her parents did die in the Gamma worldline (along with Okabe's) although in the Gamma line, Okabe is a Rounder and Mayuri is dying of cancer.
Behold! The way is clear! We're free! I, the mad scientist, Hououin Kyouma, have triumphed under a twofold assault, from SERN and the Organization, by twisting the very fundamentals of time and space! The world as we know it has been put to rights, and a future of chaos awaits us. This, my friends, is the choice of Steins;Gate!
Apr 29, 2016 1:49 AM

Mar 2016
Sorry for replying to such an old thread, but I think I've something to add

coolxal said:

Then why did Kurisu say "Where is Mayuri going to go?" when Daru decided to stop paying for rent? I thought it was implying that she lived there.

I don't think they mean for living, but rather for hanging out. The lab seems to be a pretty important place for them to hang out together or even alone for that matter (in the chance someone else might come around and/or just to have a comfortable place without needing to go home).
They probably would miss that, especially Mayuri, since she already felt kind of lonely and that would just get worse without hanging out with the others on a regular basis.
Jun 16, 2016 6:59 PM
Dec 2014
OceanChild said:

Okabe probably has a student loan I presume.
Apr 18, 2017 11:48 AM
Mar 2017
Nibelungen said:

WELL, if you really want to get all technical about it, her parents did die in the Gamma worldline (along with Okabe's) although in the Gamma line, Okabe is a Rounder and Mayuri is dying of cancer.

when did that happen? is it in the series? cuz i can't recall it
Apr 20, 2017 10:57 PM
Aug 2014
Randa_AbuAli said:
Nibelungen said:

when did that happen? is it in the series? cuz i can't recall it

It's from the Drama CD Hyde of the Dark Dimension
Behold! The way is clear! We're free! I, the mad scientist, Hououin Kyouma, have triumphed under a twofold assault, from SERN and the Organization, by twisting the very fundamentals of time and space! The world as we know it has been put to rights, and a future of chaos awaits us. This, my friends, is the choice of Steins;Gate!
Apr 22, 2017 5:07 AM

Feb 2016
Gamma worldline is irrelevant.
Mayuri's parents are still alive, she still goes and lives there but occasionally comes back to the lab and she works at Faris's maid cafe which is very close to it.
Apr 12, 2020 10:17 PM

Aug 2017
coolxal said:
What exactly does Okabe do for a living? Is he a student? No mention of him ever going to class or anything of the sort.

How are they paying the rent for the place? It was mentioned that Daru was planning on getting a part-time job to pay for the rent increase... so how were they paying it before? What does Daru even do?

Does Mayuri even go to school? Do Mayuri and Okabe both live in that apartment/lab and Daru lives somewhere else?

Haha I agree, there are no answers to these questions. These people just congregate in this upstairs flat for hours every day with no other priorities. No mention of rent until they almost move out in the movie.

How could chuunibyou Okabe get a job without being fired, impossible.

Faris is the only one rolling in money. Best character.
Apr 24, 2020 10:39 AM

May 2016
TrumpMD said:
coolxal said:

Haha I agree, there are no answers to these questions. These people just congregate in this upstairs flat for hours every day with no other priorities. No mention of rent until they almost move out in the movie.

How could chuunibyou Okabe get a job without being fired, impossible.

Faris is the only one rolling in money. Best character.

It was explained in Steins;Gate 0 that

-

More topics from this board

» Contrary to the popular belief, the Steins;Gate movie is canon (video)

SciADV_Maniac - Apr 21

11 by Spheromancer »»
Yesterday, 6:26 AM

» Canon?

mechian - Nov 7, 2013

13 by SciADV_Maniac »»
Apr 20, 12:56 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2013

430 by LotteGiants »»
Mar 20, 2:45 AM

» Reason for kurisu's change of dress while meeting the younger okabe in the steins gate movie

Raajdeep - Jul 30, 2023

4 by Raajdeep »»
Jan 18, 6:00 PM

» Should i watch this?

BeanieWaferz - May 29, 2023

38 by Lemonov »»
Aug 26, 2023 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.