Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 8, 2009 5:39 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The entire episode seems very normal, nothing really happen =.= There aren't any strong relationships developed so far and so it's sort of decent.
Jul 8, 2009 6:20 PM
Dec 2008
I just really can't get used to Fumi's voice. It's very annoying.

Great episode though. I like how things are going slow.
Jul 9, 2009 5:48 AM
Jun 2009
Foreshadows for the later story development 。episode 2 。
Jul 9, 2009 5:16 PM

Apr 2008
Any word on subs? It seems that some of the newer shows aren't being subbed very fast.
Jul 10, 2009 12:06 PM
Feb 2008
Just watched ep.2 ...and so far I really like how the animators adapted the content from the manga.

I'm glad they included the scene from the manga which implied that Chizu and Fumi slept together.

Of course, it would done in a way which was a bit more subtle than in the manga (i.e. they didn't show Chizu's shadow, just her voice, hand and arm)...which I found interestingly, made the scene seem much more less "dark" and "sinister" when compared to the manga version.

I'm also glad that they didn't decide to portray Yasuko with a very masculine voice.

Anyway, looking forward to the next episode!
tokkiJul 10, 2009 12:18 PM
Jul 10, 2009 5:44 PM
Dec 2008
southdkotaboy said:
Any word on subs? It seems that some of the newer shows aren't being subbed very fast.

It's been on crunchyoll since Wednesday.
Jul 10, 2009 8:07 PM

Apr 2008
kameko14 said:
southdkotaboy said:

It's been on crunchyoll since Wednesday.

I don't have a membership to crunchyroll to see this right away. I'm also talking about a lot of the new series, there are several that have two episodes out but don't even have the first subbed or if they have the first subbed they are still behind on the second. GA Geijutsuka Fine Arts Department is another example.

Is it a holiday week over in Japan?
Jul 12, 2009 7:02 AM

Mar 2008
I loved this episode - much better than the first one. Pacing is perfect, everything seems to have a meaning and overall it's really beautiful.
Though I really had to laugh hard due to her suddenly picking the basketball club. Though I wonder why? Did she fall a little bit in love with the 3rd class girl or what?

kameko14 said:
I really like her voice. It's enjoyably different from the usual voices.
Jul 12, 2009 7:09 AM

Jul 2007
Mass Yuri actions is coming up!!!!
(At least i hope :3 )
Jul 12, 2009 9:14 AM
Dec 2007
Couldn't fight back against sleep this time. Dropped it !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 12, 2009 9:15 AM

Apr 2009
Subs are out on Koharubi.
Jul 12, 2009 10:47 AM

Sep 2007
I needed a show like this for this season so much. Among the deathy Umineko, spectacular Bakemonogatari, extremely funny Zetsubou-sensei and raging Endless Eight, a slow relaxing show is absolutely necessary, I'd snap otherwise.
Watching Aoi Hana is like dipping the head into a bucket of cold water after a day of hard work for me.

...the hard work being above mentioned other series. >.>
Jul 12, 2009 12:31 PM

Oct 2007
Spade said:
I needed a show like this for this season so much. Among the deathy Umineko, spectacular Bakemonogatari, extremely funny Zetsubou-sensei and raging Endless Eight, a slow relaxing show is absolutely necessary, I'd snap otherwise.
Watching Aoi Hana is like dipping the head into a bucket of cold water after a day of hard work for me.

...the hard work being above mentioned other series. >.>

That is exactly, how I feel about it. Thanks for putting it into words :)
Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and for thy possession, the ends of the earth.
Psalm 2:8
Jul 12, 2009 12:44 PM
May 2008
Kind of a boring episode but I imagine most episodes will be like that... so at least I know what I'm in for. As far as the show goes it isn't too bad... the characters are not awful and they're moderately entertaining.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 12, 2009 1:21 PM

Oct 2007
Forever said:
I loved this episode - much better than the first one. Pacing is perfect, everything seems to have a meaning and overall it's really beautiful.
Though I really had to laugh hard due to her suddenly picking the basketball club. Though I wonder why? Did she fall a little bit in love with the 3rd class girl or what?

kameko14 said:
I really like her voice. It's enjoyably different from the usual voices.
Actually, her voice is starting to grow on me more and more now, and combine it with the soft voice of Fumi makes it really fit. You might find it somehow annoying but in a good way, like entertainment rather than being a bitch. Specially I am kind of tired of the few famous seiyuu that is being over used each season.

As for the episode, I don't what else can I asked for, it is just perfectly go well the type of series.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 12, 2009 2:36 PM
Jun 2008
ShanaFlame said:
The entire episode seems very normal, nothing really happen =.=

Gee, I sure wish slice of life anime about normal people and their normal lives had a lot more stuff happening in it too.

ShanaFlame said:
There aren't any strong relationships developed so far and so it's sort of decent.

It's the second episode... where would character development come from? They are still introducing the story, setting and characters.

kameko14 said:

Fumi's voice is awesome. It doesn't weigh down the soul like other voice actresses. She could have been easily typecasted but for a refreshing series, they get refreshing and new voices. It stands out because it isn't the standard moe voices you get from other seiyuu. It's boring to hear lines read the same way over and over again. I for one am glad that the voice actress has a noticeable albeit soft voice.

Jacut said:
Couldn't fight back against sleep this time. Dropped it !

Hurrah! Don't need people like you watching it anyway.
Jul 12, 2009 2:58 PM

Sep 2008
Nice and easy going episode.
Jul 12, 2009 3:08 PM

Jul 2008
tehnominator said:
ShanaFlame said:
There aren't any strong relationships developed so far and so it's sort of decent.

It's the second episode... where would character development come from? They are still introducing the story, setting and characters.
You have a point there, a few more episode then it should happen^^
Jul 12, 2009 3:31 PM
Jun 2008
Anyway, as for this episode, I can see where they edited parts from the manga, but it worked really well. Doesn't feel like they're butchering anything--I love that the director decided to take the content into his own hands and make something out of his own interpretation without ever veering away from the original material.

The "sex scene" with Chizu was rather shocking, since I thought they would have eliminated it completely from the anime. I think it was more revealing than the manga, actually. While it was clear that Chizu's silhouette was seducing Fumi, it felt a little more complex when you saw only Fumi and Chizu's hand. Plus, the scene went on a bit as compared to the manga, and you really get a feel for how much that situation has affected Fumi.

I love all the little details they pay attention to, as well.

Plus, Fumi's really adorable! I like her mean face as well; she makes it right when she tries to prep herself for confronting Yasuko. And I'm glad Yasuko didn't have the stereotypical deep voice you'd expect from boyish characters like herself.

And that conversation Kyouko and Yasuko had was amazing. It was mature and grown up and not something you'd expect from a 15/16 year old and a 17/18 year old in anime.
Jul 12, 2009 7:49 PM
Nov 2007
Its almost like their emplying all girls who go to girls schools swing that way.
Jul 12, 2009 11:16 PM

Apr 2009
It's so beautiful. Fumi's actually made me tear up a little bit here, and then laugh.

I love Fumi so much, as she's cute without actually being overbearing.

I'm particularly curious as to what happened between Kyouko and Yasuko in the end there that left Kyouko crying. Certainly no word is more appropriate to the show so far than "subtle".
Oooh Miss Alicia
It's our own secret garden
Lesbians at war
Jul 12, 2009 11:17 PM

Sep 2007
cereal said:
Its almost like their emplying all girls who go to girls schools swing that way.

I had the same feeling and I feared this would happen when I read "All Girl's School" for the first time but I surely hope it doesn't turn out that way. I kinda want the main relationship to be special and not just one among others. :/
Jul 12, 2009 11:24 PM

Jun 2009
It was an ok episode, we got to see the possible relationships/pairings between the characters, it seems that Fumi did her cousin, Akira doesn't seem like a lesbian (yet), and the backgrounds are still as stunning and I'm digging the op (specially the nude scene...). This series may not be as intense as others this season, but the pacing and the mood fit the series quite well.
Jul 13, 2009 3:42 AM

Dec 2008
Really nice relaxing show so far...I like it. The Fumi x Chizu thing is a little disturbing but that's ok I guess. I'm pretty tolerant of a lot of stuff in anime. Honestly I don't know why I find it disturbing when I more easily tolerated shows like Koi Kaze...maybe I just think Fumi is too cute for something like that to have happened with her. Now that I think about it...there was this one scene in Koi Kaze that did feel wrong...well anyways...great show so far.
Jul 13, 2009 8:04 AM

Jul 2009
I much preferred this episode to the first one as the first episode seemed to focus too much on the past (even though the past seems really integral to the plot).
I really love the way this anime feels like a fairy tale, love so pure that I can't help but to accept their love.
Anyhoo, club switching was fun (surprising cos i wasn't really expecting any much comedy from this anime. literature-->basketball-->drama?) and this should turn out to be a great anime series, since it's not being dragged on and on (11 eps rite?)

Jul 13, 2009 8:17 AM

May 2009
Nice episode that introduced some new characters. I'm surprised Chizu and Fumi have had sex - didn't expect them to be that close.

It's great so far. I'm loving the "peaceful feeling" this anime gives me. The pacing is good too - not too slow and not too fast.
Jul 13, 2009 1:03 PM

May 2008
God I love this anime. It's so emotional...and it's turning out great <3 It's really sad too..I really can't wait for the next episode. I wanna know why that other girl at the end was crying D; Maybe she got rejected or something? She looked like she was really upset.

Jul 13, 2009 2:05 PM

Jun 2009
Another good slow-paced episode with some comical moments. This show is so peaceful... looking forward to next episode.
Jul 13, 2009 5:12 PM

Jun 2008
So evreone is yuri in this anime ?
Jul 13, 2009 5:32 PM
Jun 2008
izzy92 said:
So evreone is yuri in this anime ?

Watch it and find out.

Btw, people should not confuse platonic with romantic. In Japan, girls are a lot closer to one another at that age. In fact, they might seem to be in love with other girls, but it's a strong sense of camaraderie and sisterhood as opposed to lesbianism. Often anime such as this one depict girl x girl friendships in a romantic way, to hyperbolise the intimacy they share as two women. Doesn't mean off the bat that they want to date other women.

Not that I'm denying that there are girls here in this anime that aren't interested in each other romantically. I'm just saying it's not as much as you would think. People shouldn't just chalk up a deep relationship between two girls as being simply romantic. Some are more complex, as you can love someone a lot and care for them and it never evolves beyond platonic emotion.
Jul 13, 2009 5:54 PM

Oct 2007
@tehnominator: It seems you like to comment a lot in this show.

Jul 13, 2009 7:48 PM

Jan 2008
Eh, still okay so far. Most of the characters we've met seem to swing "that" way or just really great friends.
Jul 14, 2009 2:21 AM

Apr 2007
I'm liking this show, it's turned out to be better than I thought it would. Don't care for the majority of characters yet, but the two main girls are growing on me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2009 2:25 AM

Apr 2009
I love this show. Honestly I think it is going to make me cry at some point.

Oh, and because I am slow as a sloth, why is Fumi so apalled with the marriage?
Jul 14, 2009 3:02 AM
Jun 2008
Siva said:

Is there a rule somewhere saying I can't?

This is the one anime this season meriting discussion. I said my fill in the Queen's Blade forums last season.
Jul 14, 2009 3:09 AM

Apr 2008
tehnominator said:
Siva said:

anyways, another enjoyable episode.

Jul 14, 2009 5:22 AM

Oct 2007
tehnominator said:
Siva said:

This is the one anime this season meriting discussion. I said my fill in the Queen's Blade forums last season.

Well I didn't mean it in a bad way. Actually I love your comments in this post so far and it really help me a lot to understand the little details in the show. As for a manga reader, you really did a great job with your explanation without spoiling us. So yeah, keep up your good work.

Jul 14, 2009 8:19 AM
Jul 2009
tehnominator said:
Btw, people should not confuse platonic with romantic.
Not that I'm denying that there are girls here in this anime that aren't interested in each other romantically. I'm just saying it's not as much as you would think. People shouldn't just chalk up a deep relationship between two girls as being simply romantic. Some are more complex, as you can love someone a lot and care for them and it never evolves beyond platonic emotion.

There's no need to worry about that. Aoi Hana is not ambiguous about relationships. If it's friendship, it'll be shown as friendship, if it's romantic, it'll be shown as romantic. For example Fumi and Akira are just friends at this point; Fumi and Chizu, on the other hand, had a romantic relationship, and they even used to have sex. About Fumi and Yasuko... well, you'll know in the next few episodes.
1idd0kunJul 14, 2009 9:45 AM
Jul 14, 2009 8:53 AM
Jun 2008
1idd0kun said:

There's no need to worry about that. Aoi Hana is not ambiguous about relationships. If it's friendship, it'll be shown as friendship, if it's romantic, it'll be shown as romantic. For example Fumi and Akira are just friends at this point; Fumi and Chizu, on the other hand, had a romantic relationship, and they even used to have sex. .

I surely wouldn't worry, seeing as how I've read all the way up to volume 4 already.

And Aoi Hana is certainly ambiguous about that. Perhaps not so much in the anime, but very much so in the manga when other characters are introduced. It just so happens that unlike other yuri anime that retain that ambiguity till its death bed, Aoi Hana eventually develops the questionable relationships into platonic and romantic sects.

But that wasn't the point of that, it was an explanation as to why it isn't right to misconceive two girls hugging and crying and supporting one another as a sign of, "All right, let's get it on."

1idd0kun said:
(I don't want to spoil one of the best things this series has to offer ^^)

By saying that, you have just turned what could have been an offhand statement into a spoiler :/
tehnominatorJul 14, 2009 10:14 AM
Jul 14, 2009 9:43 AM
Jul 2009
tehnominator said:
And Aoi Hana is certainly ambiguous about that. Perhaps not so much in the anime, but very much so in the manga when other characters are introduced. It just so happens that unlike other yuri anime that retain that ambiguity till its death bed, Aoi Hana eventually develops the questionable relationships into platonic and romantic sects.

That's pretty subjective there. Aoi Hana may come across as ambiguous if you approach the series in the same way you do with moe anime like Saki or Kanamemo, which includes "yuri" as one of many fetishes, and therefore needs to keep it ambiguous. But Aoi Hana is published as a GL manga, and it even discusses the concept of being attracted to the same gender in the context of sexuality, which is pretty rare, even among yuri manga.

If I approach Aoi Hana with that in mind, then the "ambiguity" you talk about isn't ambiguity at all, but just the normal building up of a relationship. I mean, you wouldn't date, or even be friends with someone until you get to know each other. So there's a need to build up the relationship until the bond can be defined. But IMO that's different from ambiguity.

tehnominator said:
But that wasn't the point of that, it was an explanation as to why it isn't right to misconceive two girls hugging and crying and supporting one another as a sign of, "All right, let's get it on."

Did anyone say something like that? Still, if that's the case, the best advice would be to wait for the relationships to define themselves instead of trying to guess needlessly. Then again, speculating is fun, so you probably shouldn't worry about people thinking the whole cast is gay. The series itself will take care of prove them wrong or right.

tehnominator said:
By saying that, you have just turned what could have been an offhand statement into a spoiler :/

You're right, so I'll edit my post. Can you edit yours too, please?
1idd0kunJul 14, 2009 10:06 AM
Jul 14, 2009 10:23 AM
Jun 2008
1idd0kun said:

If I approach Aoi Hana with that in mind, then the "ambiguity" you talk about isn't ambiguity at all, but just the normal building up of a relationship. I mean, you wouldn't date, or even be friends with someone until you get to know each other. So there's a need to build up the relationship until the bond can be defined. But IMO that's different from ambiguity.

Yes, but I have been coming across too many comments from people who think this is going to be another Strawberry Panic or Maria-sama ga Miteru, when it clearly is not. The mention of the ambiguity and the platonic nature of relationships was to inform those who think that "all girls? They must be all gay!" (a la, Strawberry Panic fans) that such isn't the case. As aforementioned, there's a lot of girls' love anime and manga where it's just on the friendly or "as a person" side and not in the sexual or romantic side.

But I see this series doing much more for intelligent, non-fanservice yuri because it actually features the characters coming to terms with their attraction for women. Which makes it a lot better in some ways than Marimite, in which you can assume that several characters are lesbians when in actuality, it's only one, and she only ever acknowledged her feelings for one woman and not several.

Plus, it's probably the only yuri anime out there where the characters are developing realistically, and I wonder if yuri fans would be turned off by lack of love confessions and blushing and the usual tropes. Although on the plus side, this series can open itself up for fans of other genres, as the themes are being handled in a classy, mature manner that is least likely to offend and most likely to get people to sympathise.
Jul 14, 2009 11:48 AM

Oct 2007
@tehnominator: Well I thought you took some of those few comments too serious into your account. But I don't think everyone have the same thought or the same view. I am not saying you are wrong but you can't put a blame on them either. The way they see and understand from the anime about the yuri thing is not wrong. Well you know some people like to jump into conclusion with one or two things in their mind. And you know this anime labeled as yuri, so you can stop them from posting that kind of comments.

Personally, I doubt if Akira even has any feeling for someone yet. She wasn't even serious when she talked about Kyouko would have a feeling for her. As for Fumi, well what can I say right now she is just trying to runway from the fact and I can't really say that she has a feeling for Yasuko yet. And the rest of the characters are still too early to say anything about them while we don't even know what is going on yet.

About Strawberry Panic and Maimite, I won't lie that I watch Strawberry Panic for its yuri but I don't know if you can really have anything much to talk about yuri in Marimite.

Jul 14, 2009 2:03 PM
Jun 2008
@Siva:

It's not a matter of blame, it's a matter of letting people know that this isn't an all-lesbian anime. It's primarily a slice of life anime with strong yuri elements to it. More realistic than those other yuri anime where everyone is practically gay therefore it makes any real issues of sexuality dissipate because you can't righteously take something so fantastical seriously.

You are misinterpreting all my comments, they are not condemning a viewer for expecting such and such, it's a warning for them that if they want some other type of yuri, then this anime is not for them.
Jul 14, 2009 9:29 PM

Jul 2008
I am gobsmacked by the way in which this conversation is being held. Reading it has actually made me appreciate Aoi Hana for its subtly and realistic aspects to life even mores-so than I already had at the start.

As for the episode, I loved the interactions between Akira and Fumi. You can really feel their friendship in how they speak and react to one another. The anime itself seems to have every single element I look for in an anime all combined into one show, and they do a damn good job with it at that. Although my computer has trouble playing .mkv , I do approve of Koharubi's subbing job so far.

Most definitely looking forward to the next episode!
Jul 15, 2009 3:34 AM
Jun 2008
ShellySaurus said:
Although my computer has trouble playing .mkv , I do approve of Koharubi's subbing job so far.

Is it your computer or your media player? If you're using something like VLC then SWITCH NOW.
Jul 15, 2009 6:24 AM

May 2008
Shoujo Ai just doesnt fit me, im ok with girls having their own opinions i hu they like but ... god, maybe its because my fren watches these kinds of anime that he thinks im gay cause im in a boy school =/

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 15, 2009 10:07 AM

Apr 2009
cereal said:

That. xD
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jul 18, 2009 9:08 PM

Jul 2008
I'm not liking this anime. It's starting off weak and should get better by the 4th episode or drop it goes.
Jul 18, 2009 9:20 PM
Feb 2009
Oh well, at least this isn't as slow as White Album- which is impossible because W.A is the king of slowness.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRLX69 - Jul 1, 2009

129 by hagukoko »»
Mar 14, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Fugles - Sep 9, 2009

127 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 7, 11:38 AM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Aug 12, 2009

65 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 6, 6:23 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireReaverX - Jul 15, 2009

74 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 5, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Sep 2, 2009

56 by Destroyer31 »»
Jun 10, 2023 10:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.