Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2009 7:51 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I somewhat surprised. This anime had very few watchers and only one scoring (a 4). I thought, a three hour OVA. even if it's bad, I'll get through it. Not bad at all. Weak points? Lots of them, but still quite enjoyable.

Animation looks just like Touch! even the dog is exactly the same
Sep 13, 2010 1:31 PM

Jul 2010
well it was nice, the pace is really fast do understand all you must probably read the manga. i have a feeling that this is a really fast recap of the 48 mangas.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Jul 6, 2015 6:45 AM

Jun 2014
This is pretty good! Ryoutaro seems to be doing pretty good, and Nozomi is quite a hottie!

Mar 15, 2019 1:47 PM

Sep 2018
I'm pretty conflicted about this one, I found the characters all completely unlikable but the boxing element was very well done and more realistic than most anime of this type.
Aug 21, 2022 5:39 AM

Jan 2018
Nozomi Witches... According to the fansubber Orphan, it is an unfortunate case of Engrish. A more accurate title in English would be Bewitching Nozomi because that's what she does in the show.

Anyways, I first heard of this anime as a rip-off of Touch. I'm not sure it's an accurate description because this OVA was made by the same studio as Touch: Group TAC so they probably shared a lot of the same staff. The biggest draw is obviously the character designer being Adachi Mitsuru himself. I don't think I've ever seen one mangaka being the character designer for an anime adaption of a manga that's written by another mangaka.

Another thing this show has in common with Adachi Mitsuru anime from that era is the music composer being the legendary Hiroaki Serizawa. I've seen this anime's OST pop up in a video compiling Adachi Mitsuru anime OST.

Really liked Hiromi Tsuru's performance as Nozomi Egawa. She's seemingly in every anime I watch these days.

Nozomi Witches (manga) was serialized from 1986 to 1996. It's possible the mangaka Toshio Nobe took inspiration from Adachi Mitsuru. But that doesn't mean it's a rip-off. I find it amazing that this manga ran longer than any Adachi Mitsuru work at the time and also predated Adachi's own boxing manga: Katsu! which was serialized from 2001 to 2005.

The story does seem similar to other Adachi Mitsuru works but obviously, the shorter runtime in the OVA format hurt it a lot. You can tell there's a lot of stuff being skipped, like Ryoutarou asking why Nozomi keeps telling him to start boxing. It's a shame cause I would've loved watching a long-running anime series based on Nozomi Witches.
0451Aug 21, 2022 5:51 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nozomi Witches Episode 3 Discussion

_-_Sally_-_ - Jul 7, 2015

3 by 0451 »»
Aug 23, 2022 8:37 AM

Poll: » Nozomi Witches Episode 2 Discussion

_-_Sally_-_ - Jul 6, 2015

3 by 0451 »»
Aug 22, 2022 6:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.