Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 12, 2014 7:38 AM
Jun 2013
You know, after watching this episode and looking back. I could really tell Togashi really planned his shit ahead. Starting from the first arc, you think Gon mad because Hisoka punches him, and wasn't able to pass that exam because of his own power.

Then you see him fight Hanzo, and Hanzo is beating the shit out of him, breaking his limbs but he holds no anger towards him. Normally, a sane person would hold some degree of anger towards Hanzo, as he explained to Killua about how others he tortured did, but not Gon.

Add to the fact, he didn't give up, and even when Hanzo did, he still wouldn't accept it because of his pride, you would likely believe. But simple pride wouldn't cause Gon to act as he does.

Add to all this, the time where he went to see Killua, and the butler wouldn't let him in unless he did a test first. He couldn't accept that because he believes he shouldn't have to do a test, to see his friend, even if it for the benefit of Killua since the buttler made several valid reasons on why he couldn't see him.

But because it doesn't adhere to what he sees as right, it's wrong until it endangers someone on his behalf. This is shown many times throughout the series with Hisoka, the bombers, and now this arc. You start to see Gon isn't just some straight forward, care free, justifiable prideful protagonist.

Shit, The Ant King fit that category better than him. Gon's a psychopathic, egotistical, simple minded, spoiled childish monstrosity. And ANYTHING, rather evil, good, right, or wrong that doesn't strictly adhere to what he perceives as evil, good, right or wrong OR does anything to show a weakness or flaw in his being feels an rage, that doesn't dies down, but swells and sways and elevates until it does.

So he wasn't mad at all because Kite died, it was because Kite died because of weakness on his part, that he mad. If Pitou would of just fought Kite away from them and died, Gon would of been okay about it. But what added to that rage, and why it is perfectly demonstrated and showcased through out the series, is the fact that Pitou, after wounding his pride, had the AUDACITY to switch roles from a killer to a savior, further enraging Gon.

I predict that after all this, if Pitou heals kite, Gon will simply move on. It's not that he forgives, he doesn't forgive, maybe himself, but not nobody else, neither does he feel sorry, maybe for himself, but not nobody else.He simply will not give a fuck anymore. But if she doesn't, he'll kill the living shit out of Pitou, and hate her eternally.

So here to Togashi, for not creating an hero protagonist, anti hero protagonist, or either an villian protagonist, but a fucked up, to all hell, completely batshit insane, frighteningly vain protagonist.

Well that's how I see him, what's everybody else perspective of his psychosis. I know there are many more examples throughout the series that showcases his anti social behavior.
therapbanditFeb 12, 2014 7:49 AM
Feb 12, 2014 7:48 AM

Jan 2014
It's a mix of all the bottom 3 options, I see no contradiction between them
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2014 9:09 AM

Feb 2013
flawed hero
I still think he's a good kid
Feb 12, 2014 9:31 AM
Jun 2013
Well an anti hero is called a anti hero because he does heroic deeds the way normal heros doesn't. Sure they can be prideful, vain, and mentally unstable. But they also are not just that, they have a reason for being the anti hero they are mostly and always have an heroic reason for their evil deeds.

For example, Lelouch, the protagonist of Fate/Zero, and others like them. Thus why I separated the two, in case you think Gon not an anti hero, just very prideful, vain and mentally unstable. And being an anti hero and completely insane can be seen as the same, but the way I see it, You can't be an anti hero if what you're doing isn't justifiable.

For example, Light started off an anti hero, killing off supposedly bad guys, for an justifiable reason. But quickly transcended that when it's shown that he's not doing these things for justice, or his sense of justice, because he's also killing good guys, and not for the greater good, but because he's completely insane.

He considers himself a God, that will never die, that will and should always win. And anything that challenges his rule, even if they are justice, are scum. Thinking about it, he has more in common with Gon than any Hero or anti hero. But yeah, of course this is all just my opinion of what I perceive constitutes as an anti hero.

Maybe your definition of it is different and that why you think that my three choices was basically the same. Anyway I just love Gon and his mind, and how he doesn't fit the villian, hero, or anti hero archetypes. He truly is of his own breed.
Feb 12, 2014 9:35 AM

Aug 2008
Gon isn't really what I would call a hero. He doesn't really do things because it's the right thing to do...not inherently anyway. He's much more of a blood knight, like Hisoka. He does things for the thrill of it, and anything that hampers those thrills makes him rage. There is also all the stuff you mentioned about morality that plays a factor as well.

More than likely as the series goes on, we might see Gon eventually become like Hisoka who has no sense of morality anymore and simply lives for seeking thrills. He's kind of the opposite of Kurapika who feels compelled to fight, but absolutely hates the process. For Gon the reason may eventually become an excuse so that he can fight.
Feb 12, 2014 9:38 AM
Jun 2013
gedata said:
flawed hero
I still think he's a good kid

I mean, he started out as a good kid. But right now, I don't think he's neither good or evil. If he was truly good, he would allow Pitou to fully heal Komugi, just because it's a good thing. But he's only allowing Pitou to heal Komugi because it's the only way he can get her to save kite, for his own agenda. Gon comes off more like an arrogant, asshole prick to me. Maybe I'm just looking at it all the wrong ways though, and being too harsh but that's just how I feel about it.
Feb 12, 2014 9:44 AM
Jun 2013
hyperknees91 said:
Gon isn't really what I would call a hero. He doesn't really do things because it's the right thing to do...not inherently anyway. He's much more of a blood knight, like Hisoka. He does things for the thrill of it, and anything that hampers those thrills makes him rage. There is also all the stuff you mentioned about morality that plays a factor as well.

More than likely as the series goes on, we might see Gon eventually become like Hisoka who has no sense of morality anymore and simply lives for seeking thrills. He's kind of the opposite of Kurapika who feels compelled to fight, but absolutely hates the process. For Gon the reason may eventually become an excuse so that he can fight.

Yeah, I can see your point. I also can see him turning out like Uvogin too. I mean you couldn't really call Uvogin evil either, as his sense of whats right and wrong was so warped, but you could tell how Nobunga described him, as being more powerful when he protects something, he also had characteristics that Gon has. Except I find Gon way more complex. Still, we may never know if Togashi doesn't finish this series, because there can still be more elements to Gon's psyche.
Feb 12, 2014 9:52 AM

Aug 2011
Suzune-chanFeb 12, 2014 7:09 PM
Feb 12, 2014 12:52 PM

Nov 2008
I don't really see Gon as a 'hero', like, most of the Shonen heroes we see. I just don't get that 'feel' from him, you know what I'm saying? It's kinda hard to explain. lol.

When I first watched HxH (2011), I wasn't ALL FOR IT. It seemed a little childish-looking to me. It was by accident that I had watched it because a friend of mine decided we should watch the series instead of a boring film. The plot seemed simple enough: a 12-year old boy who is going to become a hunter in order to find his father, then many sub-stories along the way. My first impression of Gon was that, on the outside, he seemed like any normal shonen kid: a bit clueless, somewhat naive, innocent, sincere, friendly, etc. But for some reason, I couldn't put my finger at it at the time, I felt perplexed about him. LOL. It was annoying because everytime I watch him, I feel sort of bothered by him. So I decided to continue watching the entire series and eventually read the manga. I was still a bit loss until Chimera Ant Arc Manga. After what happened in the first and mid-half of the arc, what was perplexing me about the boy was finally answered. This is a boy--not even a lifetime with him could his character be fully expressed. I agree with what those characters have to say about him: He is bottomless. Totally unpredictable. His appearance have deceived me. LOL. I remember a person saying to me: what is evil about somebody or something is that you don't see it right away. This totally applies to Gon. You can never tell.

I don't know what a hero means through and through. But in most shonen series, the heroes are dyed-in-the-wool with their morals. Unlike Gon. You don't really see him exercise morals in the story. lol. I'd also say that he doesn't feel obliged he should be a savior of human kind. He only wants to be involve when there is something that is beneficial to him. lol. Just my observations though.

I do agree that Togashi planned this entire thing about Gon. I mean, I don't think I'd be having a very odd vibe about the kid in the beginning if it wasn't there in the beginning.
theGirlisIdleFeb 12, 2014 12:56 PM
Feb 13, 2014 4:11 PM

Nov 2013
jkzmo said:
I don't really see Gon as a 'hero', like, most of the Shonen heroes we see. I just don't get that 'feel' from him, you know what I'm saying? It's kinda hard to explain. lol.

When I first watched HxH (2011), I wasn't ALL FOR IT. It seemed a little childish-looking to me. It was by accident that I had watched it because a friend of mine decided we should watch the series instead of a boring film. The plot seemed simple enough: a 12-year old boy who is going to become a hunter in order to find his father, then many sub-stories along the way. My first impression of Gon was that, on the outside, he seemed like any normal shonen kid: a bit clueless, somewhat naive, innocent, sincere, friendly, etc. But for some reason, I couldn't put my finger at it at the time, I felt perplexed about him. LOL. It was annoying because everytime I watch him, I feel sort of bothered by him. So I decided to continue watching the entire series and eventually read the manga. I was still a bit loss until Chimera Ant Arc Manga. After what happened in the first and mid-half of the arc, what was perplexing me about the boy was finally answered. This is a boy--not even a lifetime with him could his character be fully expressed. I agree with what those characters have to say about him: He is bottomless. Totally unpredictable. His appearance have deceived me. LOL. I remember a person saying to me: what is evil about somebody or something is that you don't see it right away. This totally applies to Gon. You can never tell.

I don't know what a hero means through and through. But in most shonen series, the heroes are dyed-in-the-wool with their morals. Unlike Gon. You don't really see him exercise morals in the story. lol. I'd also say that he doesn't feel obliged he should be a savior of human kind. He only wants to be involve when there is something that is beneficial to him. lol. Just my observations though.

I do agree that Togashi planned this entire thing about Gon. I mean, I don't think I'd be having a very odd vibe about the kid in the beginning if it wasn't there in the beginning.

Holy shit, you read my mind O.O

Good job M'aam/Sir, you explained Gon's character perfectly. *Claps*
FaltronaFeb 13, 2014 5:18 PM
Feb 13, 2014 4:29 PM

Oct 2013
Thank you for this thread. Maybe now people will read this before posting shit like "Gon is out of character"... He was like that from the beginning but we only saw it now because of the magnitude of his reaction

I totally agree with what is written in this thread... I still like Gon exactly because he is complex and has humane flaws that feel realistic.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Feb 13, 2014 4:39 PM

Jun 2011
Gon Freaks is going crazy! The finale to this arc will blow minds... I can't wait for the resultant shitstorm. It'll be glorious :D

Feb 13, 2014 7:48 PM

May 2013
Ah, I love this topic.

When I first started HxH 2011, Gon didn't leave much an impression on me. If anything, I thought he was the weak link in the show. I kept telling myself that he was unbelievably generic, right to his sharp, spiky hair. It took me a little while to realize that something was seriously wrong with Gon. As of now, I think he's absolutely fascinating from a character perspective.

The thing is, there really is technically nothing wrong with Gon. He's a kid, in the truest sense of the world. Think about how most kids act. They are usually selfish, because they think the world revolves around them. Many have a natural curiosity, love to explore and try new things, are naiive, gullible, lovable, cheerful, etc. Gon fits all these criteria, and yet he's an insanely creepy character..and therein lies the genius of Togashi's writing. He created an uneasy and uncomfortable character simply by making him a kid.

Most children don't have proper moral compasses. They don't debate moral and ethical dilemmas. They see the world very simplistically. If they like something, it's good, if not, then it's not. Now take this childish mentality and put into a world of death and darkness. The results are scary.

Gon comes across as a bit of a psycho at times, and that's totally intentional on Togashi's part. He has no problem befriending assassins and forgiving crazed murderers. Why? Because they're interesting, and they haven't hurt him personally. Sounds ridiculous? Not in Gon's mind. He has no morality at all, just what he likes. Do you really want to give this kid a lot of power?
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 13, 2014 8:04 PM

Nov 2013
MrAM said:
Ah, I love this topic.

When I first started HxH 2011, Gon didn't leave much an impression on me. If anything, I thought he was the weak link in the show. I kept telling myself that he was unbelievably generic, right to his sharp, spiky hair. It took me a little while to realize that something was seriously wrong with Gon. As of now, I think he's absolutely fascinating from a character perspective.

The thing is, there really is technically nothing wrong with Gon. He's a kid, in the truest sense of the world. Think about how most kids act. They are usually selfish, because they think the world revolves around them. Many have a natural curiosity, love to explore and try new things, are naiive, gullible, lovable, cheerful, etc. Gon fits all these criteria, and yet he's an insanely creepy character..and therein lies the genius of Togashi's writing. He created an uneasy and uncomfortable character simply by making him a kid.

Most children don't have proper moral compasses. They don't debate moral and ethical dilemmas. They see the world very simplistically. If they like something, it's good, if not, then it's not. Now take this childish mentality and put into a world of death and darkness. The results are scary.

Gon comes across as a bit of a psycho at times, and that's totally intentional on Togashi's part. He has no problem befriending assassins and forgiving crazed murderers. Why? Because they're interesting, and they haven't hurt him personally. Sounds ridiculous? Not in Gon's mind. He has no morality at all, just what he likes. Do you really want to give this kid a lot of power?

I agree!
Feb 13, 2014 11:59 PM

Jan 2014
His age is only 12/13 years old, normally kid around that age is just play around and having fun. I think it's normal to be unstable, he's more mature than character that older than him from other anime like Eren(SNK) and Sasuke(Naruto).

I really like Gon as a character, expecially his character development in recent episodes.
HiatusXHiatusFeb 14, 2014 1:57 AM
May 28, 2017 10:04 AM
May 2017
Gon is good boy just his daddy abuse
May 28, 2017 12:51 PM

Jan 2011
I see him as a selfish character
For example when killua instantly rips out Johness heart, he was smiling
While during Yorknew City arc, he ask Chrollo why he kills peoples, the reason why he see chrollo killing people as evil is because he feel for Kurapika

The point Gon dont care about humanity or good.

Also Greed Island arc he didnt mind join hisoka inside the game, he dont mind hisoka personality unless he can be danger for people who he care about

Also he join Kite only to help him not to help humanity or anything good, so why he would care about Komugi life .
May 28, 2017 2:29 PM

Sep 2016
Gon never gave a shit about morality. For example, he spared Binolt because he wanted to reward him for being useful for his, and Killua's, growth in strength, and not out of any sense of being merciful or virtuous. He was also willing to kill innocent people so he could heal his own wounded ego.
Gon is an amoral, selfish, little bastard and I love him for it.
May 29, 2017 1:16 PM
Jun 2016
Gon is basically a child going into the real world.

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
49 minutes ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.