Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 24, 2009 1:41 AM

Mar 2007
According to Animenewsnetwork.com, Funimation announced at their panel at Anime Boston on Saturday that they have obtained the rights to the first season of the Spice and Wolf series. Funimation also announced they plan to ship the series towards the end of this year or the early part of 2010.

Spice and Wolf is a series based off Isuna Hasekura and Ju Ayakura's highly acclaimed light novel series and has an impending second season slated to premiere this July.

Source: ANN

Story by MackDaddyHart
Sakana-sanFeb 22, 2016 11:38 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 24, 2009 1:51 AM

Jul 2008
It's not that many episodes, so hopefully it wont be released on too many discs (one disc is probably too much to hope for).

But hell yes, I want this.

BEGINNER
May 24, 2009 1:58 AM

Oct 2007
All right FUNi! \o/
You can find me on IRC.
May 24, 2009 2:02 AM

Aug 2008
Fuck, they better not license Spice and Wolf II.
May 24, 2009 2:27 AM

Oct 2008
-Shadow said:
at least not until a few months after it's aired.
May 24, 2009 3:08 AM

Apr 2008
yayy now i can buy the dvds :D
May 24, 2009 3:10 AM

Oct 2007
-Shadow said:

You just jinxed it.
May 24, 2009 3:12 AM

Jul 2007
-Shadow said:

Fuck, they better license Spice and Wolf II even before it airs 8D.

Lolsubtards
May 24, 2009 3:33 AM

Oct 2007
-Shadow said:
Fuck, they better license Spice and Wolf II.

Fixed! :D
You can find me on IRC.
May 24, 2009 4:16 AM

Mar 2008
sweet must add to my dvd collection
May 24, 2009 4:54 AM

Sep 2008
^ indeed.
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
May 24, 2009 6:31 AM

May 2008
BigSimo said:
-Shadow said:

QFT, because USA isn't the world -_-
May 24, 2009 7:03 AM

Jun 2008
Hopefully they don't license II anytime soon... Funimation ain't so fun. D:

Though I really wanna see just how badly they screw up the characters with the dubs.
May 24, 2009 7:57 AM

Aug 2008
Go to hell shitimation bastards, hands of this series!
Ii tenki desu ne...
May 24, 2009 8:08 AM

Jul 2008
Oh cool!
Been wanting to watch this series for quite some time, great oppurtunity.~
May 24, 2009 8:10 AM

Oct 2007
Antanaru said:

Wow, pointless rage much? FUNimation are fine.

Imagine if 4kids got ahold of it instead.
You can find me on IRC.
May 24, 2009 8:41 AM

Aug 2007
Well Kadokawa is involved as well so I don't see anything wrong, since they did do a good job on FMP together.

Now I just wish I could get the rest of the light novels.
May 24, 2009 8:43 AM

May 2008
Kuyukly said:
Antanaru said:

Wow, pointless rage much? FUNimation are fine.

Imagine if 4kids got ahold of it instead.
yeah seriously...
well at least we get to add it to the collection and Spice and Wolf is a must
have series..
May 24, 2009 9:06 AM

Dec 2008
Pfff.. another good anime being licensed by FuNi = fucked up. I as well hope they don't get too exited and try to license Spice and Wolf II.
May 24, 2009 9:13 AM
Oct 2008
Of course, like every other license thread there's going to be rage and "dub sucks" all throughout it.

Honestly, if this is being released until 2010 you won't have to worry about them licensing Spice and Wolf II until long after that since they're probably going to wait and see how well the first season sells.

I hope people are ready this summer because it is convention season in NA so there are going to be A LOT of new licenses by the end of summer. Personally I hope I can stay out of those threads when they pop up....
May 24, 2009 9:22 AM

Oct 2007
Soulstrider said:
BigSimo said:
-Shadow said:

QFT, because USA isn't the world -_-

So true <3
May 24, 2009 10:22 AM

Jan 2008
Aww man. FUNi is gone screw it all up again...
Hello!
May 24, 2009 10:23 AM
Oct 2008
iTom said:
Aww man. FUNi is gone screw it all up again...

Really how? I don't really see them screwing anything up honestly.
May 24, 2009 10:24 AM

Nov 2007
If they call Horo Horo, I'll buy it, if they call her Holo I'll send them anthrax, AIDS and ebola. And maybe some explosives for good measure.
May 24, 2009 10:31 AM
Oct 2008
Asako said:
If they call Horo Horo, I'll buy it, if they call her Holo I'll send them anthrax, AIDS and ebola. And maybe some explosives for good measure.

I've never seen the "l" verses "r" problem in Funimation's releases (at least in the ones I've watched) I think they usually leave it the same, if changing Zolo back to Zoro in their One Piece release is any indication.

I've mainly seen that problem in Viz's releases.
May 24, 2009 10:39 AM

Nov 2007
Capellabun said:
I've never seen the "l" verses "r" problem in Funimation's releases (at least in the ones I've watched) I think they usually leave it the same, if changing Zolo back to Zoro in their One Piece release is any indication.

Yeah, but some morons (eg. the db mods here on MAL) call her Holo just because it's on a couple Japanese sites, as if they never make R/L mistakes. OMG ITS OFFICIAL CUZ THE SITE SAID SO. D:
May 24, 2009 10:45 AM
Oct 2008
Asako said:
Capellabun said:

Yeah, but some morons (eg. the db mods here on MAL) call her Holo just because it's on a couple Japanese sites, as if they never make R/L mistakes. OMG ITS OFFICIAL CUZ THE SITE SAID SO. D:

Ah, I see. Well I hope they stick with the "r" and ignore those that say otherwise. It won't bother me that much if they don't but it's pretty annoying...I'll probably rent it on Netflix before I buy to see how they did.
May 24, 2009 10:56 AM

Oct 2007
Asako said:
Capellabun said:

Closer to OMG ITS OFFICIAL CUZ A JAPANESE GUY SAID SO. D:

:3
You can find me on IRC.
May 24, 2009 12:38 PM

Nov 2008
i dont watch the show so it doesnt effect me but if i did i would be pissed off:O stupid funimation:/
May 24, 2009 1:08 PM

Oct 2007
My question is, why would it bother you? You still have your fansubs all over the net. Why does it bother any of you? Do you just want something to whine about? You're not being forced to sit down and watch FUNi's subs or dub. Nobody's holding you at gunpoint. Why, then, does it bother you that something gets licensed?
You can find me on IRC.
May 24, 2009 1:12 PM

Oct 2007
Kuyukly said:
My question is, why would it bother you? You still have your fansubs all over the net. Why does it bother any of you? Do you just want something to whine about? You're not being forced to sit down and watch FUNi's subs or dub. Nobody's holding you at gunpoint. Why, then, does it bother you that something gets licensed?

Quite right too. If you don't like dubs, then don't watch them and stick to the fansubs. Or, if you want to own the DVDs, then just watch the original Japanese audio with the subs on there. Funi's subs may not be as good as the fansubber's, but at least they would beat a potentially awful dub :]
May 24, 2009 1:23 PM
Oct 2008
Kuyukly said:

This

This series has been available subbed for awhile now and I promise you even after it's licensed it will still be available somewhere on the internet. Whether it's on torrents, DDL sites, or streaming sites. In almost every thread concerning a license it's filled with people complaining about it but some how in the end they end up getting to watch it anyways.

It all seems like pointless whining to me as it almost always gets fansubbed in the end.
May 24, 2009 1:42 PM

Nov 2008
lol it makes me laugh how all you funimation fans just jump to defend them:p
May 24, 2009 1:47 PM
Oct 2008
giganoBrago said:

It honestly makes me laugh at how butt hurt some of you get every time something is licensed.
May 24, 2009 1:57 PM

Oct 2007
giganoBrago said:

Fans? Lol. All dubs suck compared to the original.
May 24, 2009 3:12 PM

Jul 2007
Hikari-tan said:
giganoBrago said:

There are tons of Funimation fans, and dub fans in general. Even MAL's dub fanclub has 308 members, and as you can see from threads like this, a large majority of members are sub fans.

And that's a sweeping generalization to make. You're well within your rights to dislike dubs, but if you took the time to watch them you'd see that at the very least there are plenty that don't suck.

giganoBrago said:

Why not defend them? As usual, we're getting a ton of negative comments about a release that doesn't even exist yet. (I'd understand if Funimation had announced that they'd only release ten episodes, or Horo would be named Alice, or Vic M. would play every charcter, but seriously guys.)

Asako said:

I'm confused -- and not a Spicy Wolf viewer so please bear with me -- but why the big fuss? I can totally understand preferring one spelling over another, but if there's no official way then what's the big deal about using a spelling you don't like if its still valid?

Oh, yeah, as for the topic -- haven't seen the series, not in a real hurry, don't really care either way. Congrats to the fans though!

oh, these little earthquakes
May 24, 2009 3:19 PM

Nov 2008
i do watch dubs, infact i always watch the dubs on saturdays that adult swim has of the anime they show at that time
May 24, 2009 7:13 PM

May 2007
If you haven't seen this show yet, you better not complain, you had over a year, let me finally get it on DVD. I hope they get season 2 toy show on the online player, or put it on Crunchyroll worldwide(but people hate that too)
My anime list
May 24, 2009 9:04 PM

Apr 2008
Capellabun said:
Of course, like every other license thread there's going to be rage and "dub sucks" all throughout it.

ewwwwww , i'm a little slow i completely forgot about english dubbed ... it makes me wonder the voice actors but i mean personally i think it would be hard to compare to the japanese dubbed

edit: everyone fail that talk about download on internet, blue ray for this season is great
May 24, 2009 9:15 PM
Oct 2008
Loverhina said:
Capellabun said:

ewwwwww , i'm a little slow i completely forgot about english dubbed ... it makes me wonder the voice actors but i mean personally i think it would be hard to compare to the japanese dubbed

edit: everyone fail that talk about download on internet, blue ray for this season is great

I've only watched a few episodes of Spice and Wolf and didn't find the voice acting to be anything more then most anime so when I watch it I probably won't be comparing it to the Japanese track. As long as they pick voice actors that fit the characters and don't overact it I think it will be fine. I can actually think of a few that I think would fit well, that and who I would like the ADR director to be.

Though that's for me, if you dislike dubs then it may not be for you and watching it may be an issue if you're used to the Japanese.
May 24, 2009 10:36 PM

Apr 2008
Capellabun said:
Loverhina said:
Capellabun said:

I've only watched a few episodes of Spice and Wolf and didn't find the voice acting to be anything more then most anime so when I watch it I probably won't be comparing it to the Japanese track. As long as they pick voice actors that fit the characters and don't overact it I think it will be fine. I can actually think of a few that I think would fit well, that and who I would like the ADR director to be.

Though that's for me, if you dislike dubs then it may not be for you and watching it may be an issue if you're used to the Japanese.

i never said i dislike english dub i just said that whenever i heard of companies licensing it, it totally slipped my mind when i think about voice actors ... because mainly i think the voice actor ( Fukuyama Jin) fit the character really well , however i'm goin to be bias right now and say that english voice actors feel like they tend to be pick of random
May 25, 2009 1:18 AM

Jul 2008
When you buy the DVDs you do not have to use the English audio. So... what is the problem?

BEGINNER
May 25, 2009 2:18 AM
Jan 2008
I've always been mystified about the disproportionately violent reaction to changing "Horo" to "Holo".

Why is "Horo" correct? Why is it superior? Certainly it doesn't sound as nice; the more gentle l sound seems to work with her appearance and nature when compared to the more harsh r sound. With that in mind, why does everyone hate it so much? I think it's an improvement, though admittedly not one I would have had the nerve to suggest.
May 25, 2009 3:22 AM

Oct 2007
Anomalous said:
Hikari-tan said:
giganoBrago said:

And that's a sweeping generalization to make. You're well within your rights to dislike dubs, but if you took the time to watch them you'd see that at the very least there are plenty that don't suck.

I do watch dubs actually, I own a number of them, but to me they just seem so much more... lifeless, I suppose, than the Japanese counterpart, as if the voice actors are simply reading a script :/
May 25, 2009 4:37 AM

Oct 2008
Capellabun said:
Kuyukly said:

This

This series has been available subbed for awhile now and I promise you even after it's licensed it will still be available somewhere on the internet. Whether it's on torrents, DDL sites, or streaming sites. In almost every thread concerning a license it's filled with people complaining about it but some how in the end they end up getting to watch it anyways.

It all seems like pointless whining to me as it almost always gets fansubbed in the end.

There's never any guarantee though. The only reason licensing annoys me is because a lot of fansub groups bail on the series, which has the potential to leave only some crappy fansubs. For those who don't care about their fansub quality, this obviously isn't an issue, but I like watching well translated, decent quality anime.

I actually like a lot of dubs, so that side of it doesn't bother me. It's merely when things get legal with fansubbers that creates annoyances.

Oh, and when I say all this I'm referring to the possibility that the second season will be licensed before it airs, or as its airing.

Hikari-tan said:
Anomalous said:
Hikari-tan said:
giganoBrago said:

I do watch dubs actually, I own a number of them, but to me they just seem so much more... lifeless, I suppose, than the Japanese counterpart, as if the voice actors are simply reading a script :/

You mustn't be picking the best dubs to watch then. I've seen plenty of dubs that are brilliant, and in some cases out-do the original.
May 25, 2009 8:25 AM

Oct 2008
Jive interview said:

Crispin: Because they hear the Japanese acting and think that's incredibly emotional and real. Now, many of the Japanese are amazing at what they can do. A Japanese director friend of mine in Japan, who I worked with in many theater shows, when I told her that I was working on Anime, she said, "Oh, are you over-acting like they do in Japanese Anime?" And I was like, "Um…well…I’m trying not to. Maybe I am, but I’m not trying to.”

This is an interesting little exert I found when I was reading a Crispin Freeman interview. I've been saying for a long time that anime fans think much too highly of the acting in Japanese audio considering none of us understand a damn thing they're saying except a word or two. We, well most of us, claim to know what great acting is in another language, but in reality none of use actually know and since bashing dubs has been "cool" since VHS days *cough*even though they sold better*cough* they just keep it going.

As someone previously said, you are well within your rights to dislike dubs, I too have found myself switching audio because some are bad (Geneon dubs) and I'm an avid dub follower with a high tolerance towards them, but don't ever compare them to the Japanese actors. You can't say they have more emotion when all you pick up on is the pitch of the voice and don't understand a lick of what's being said, let alone know how it's being said, without the subtitles guiding you along.

I should have known it would come to this when I submitted the story *facepalm*
May 25, 2009 8:26 AM

Aug 2007
Hikari-tan said:
Kuyukly said:

Quite right too. If you don't like dubs, then don't watch them and stick to the fansubs. Or, if you want to own the DVDs, then just watch the original Japanese audio with the subs on there. Funi's subs may not be as good as the fansubber's, but at least they would beat a potentially awful dub :]

Qft. I agree wholeheartedly.

And like Anomalous said, there are actually some pretty good dubs out there; don't just automatically assume that they're all horrible.

Personally I'm quite happy that I get to buy Spice and Wolf on DVD.

Felli disapproves of this thread.
May 25, 2009 8:26 AM

Apr 2009
it's C&D time, bitches!
in your nostromo.

eating your crew.
May 25, 2009 8:43 AM

Oct 2007
MackDaddyHart said:
Jive interview said:

Crispin: Because they hear the Japanese acting and think that's incredibly emotional and real. Now, many of the Japanese are amazing at what they can do. A Japanese director friend of mine in Japan, who I worked with in many theater shows, when I told her that I was working on Anime, she said, "Oh, are you over-acting like they do in Japanese Anime?" And I was like, "Um…well…I’m trying not to. Maybe I am, but I’m not trying to.”

This is an interesting little exert I found when I was reading a Crispin Freeman interview. I've been saying for a long time that anime fans think much too highly of the acting in Japanese audio considering none of us understand a damn thing they're saying except a word or two. We, well most of us, claim to know what great acting is in another language, but in reality none of use actually know and since bashing dubs has been "cool" since VHS days *cough*even though they sold better*cough* they just keep it going.

As someone previously said, you are well within your rights to dislike dubs, I too have found myself switching audio because some are bad (Geneon dubs) and I'm an avid dub follower with a high tolerance towards them, but don't ever compare them to the Japanese actors. You can't say they have more emotion when all you pick up on is the pitch of the voice and don't understand a lick of what's being said, let alone know how it's being said, without the subtitles guiding you along.

I should have known it would come to this when I submitted the story *facepalm*

Yeah, it's regrettably unavoidable.

Also, this forever. If you knew Japanese, you'd be able to hear the often-bad voice acting, and by no means is it always perfect even to American ears--you'd have to be biased at best to believe otherwise.

Did you guys know that Japanese audiences preferred Johnny Yong Bosch's Lelouch because Fukuyama Jun's often felt forced and draining?
KuyuMay 25, 2009 8:50 AM
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 9:17 AM

Nov 2007
Kuyukly said:

Did you guys know that Japanese audiences preferred Johnny Yong Bosch's Lelouch because Fukuyama Jun's often felt forced and draining?

I have to disagree with the sentiment because I detest Johnny Yong Douche's voice. I'm quite partial to Jun, though I admit Lulu wasn't one of his better roles.

I speak Japanese. I watch anime in Japanese and I tend to check out the dubs of at least one episode when I buy stuff on DVD (or what little makes it on TV) and I will acknowledge when voicework is poor, even in native audio. It's just that American dubs for the mostpart tend to be far poorer than the native dubs. As some people have said here and in countless other dub vs. sub arguments, a lot of American voiceacting is flat and lifeless, as if they're just reading a script, not putting any effort in to being the character at all.

Of course it happens in Japanese too, and I'll acknowledge a lot of fans are blind (deaf?) to it, but as somebody who speaks both languages rather fluently and has experience listening to both extensively, the Japanese voice work is far less often terrible. Though as I've said in past threads, a lot of my bias against American dubs is the American accents which imo destroys characters in some circumstances (especially combined with dull lifeless reading).

Want to hear some of the worst Japanese voicework ever? Watch Star Ocean EX. Even with some skilled seiyuu in the casting, the voicework was horrific. Absolutely shocking voice direction, among countless other flaws the show has. Also most hentai titles tend to have very poor voices. While hentai is typically where new seiyuu break in to the industry, the voice direction itself is almost always dreadful. The thing is, that level of voice direction tends to be the standard in American dubs. Bottom of the barrel Japanese = standard American.

But anyway, I don't care about Funi's dubs. I just don't want them calling her Holo.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

5 by Thanatos1 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Kushna »»
3 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
7 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.