Forum Settings
Forums

What the hell is "mindfuck"? Why do you like it so much? (Or why do you hate it?)

New
Nov 26, 2007 9:35 AM

Jul 2007
Like the title says, discuss about the defintion of the mindfuck-genre
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 26, 2007 10:09 AM

Jul 2007
I think a mindfuck is an event in animes or movies, which comes in suddenly and unexpected. At first the event itself is disturbing to the viewer, so the mind is fucked. It's up to the viewer, he/she could be just shocked or trying to it somehow and thinking about the message behind it. That would be a mindfuck for me.

I like genre like psychological, dementia, mystery and so on very much, so I also like mindfuck very much ;)
Dec 8, 2007 8:22 AM

Nov 2007
It's quite simple for me: "WTF" you say after that and hard to descript someone what about was it . :D
90% of Anime is shit, but then, 90% of everything is shit.

[Sturgeon's Law]
Jan 15, 2008 10:03 PM

Oct 2007
To me a "mindfuck" would be something that has shocked the viewer or made the viewer think a little bit more about something. But the ultimate "mindfuck" in my opinion, would be when you are left with thoughts on what "reality" is...or begin to question "reality" or even simply....the word reality...you are left with thoughts about the world or what you thought was the way of things and you simply see it differently...Perhaps opening your mind a little bit more then it was before...even putting you into another realm or state of mind...You know...a mindfuck...I could go on...ha'

And I love it =D

Mar 12, 2008 1:22 AM

Feb 2008
Mind-fuck is quite simply being unable to translate what you are watching into a rational stream of thought. Unraveling the mind-fuck is the funnest part about it.
Mar 13, 2008 10:49 AM

Jan 2008
Mindfuck to me is simply a bizarre twist of events, that I'm unable to rationally put into words and shit that makes me question the world and my beliefs. Personally I LOVE mindfucks, they allow to me think in new ways look at the world differently.

And they feel good.
Apr 5, 2008 9:58 AM

Jan 2008
For me, a mindfuck would be when you've just seen something that dosen't really make any sense or isn't what you thought was going to happen. Some of the time you start to think it over, and you look at something in a different way, or start to question your whole system of beliefs. After you've seen it, most of the time its hard to explain, or rationalize the course of events that just happened. Because the scene was so bizare, its fucked with your mind, and therefore a "mindfuck".
Apr 5, 2008 10:10 AM

Oct 2007
i think mindfucks are much more than a simple "wtf" moment in anime.

seraphjei said:
Mind-fuck is quite simply being unable to translate what you are watching into a rational stream of thought.

I dont think i'd be able to explain it better than that haha.

But when I think of mindfucks I think of movie or shows that mess around with what our concept of reality is, and at when you can't discern what is reality or not in the show. It's when you can't really understand what is going on, and its more than just the shock factor. Good mindfucks spend a lot of time building up to the final "WTF" moment, but without the buildup beforehand it really wouldn't be a mindfuck at all.

I love them because it makes me look at things a whole new way and trying to figure out an explanation for the seemingly unexplainable series of events is the best part about watching mindfuck shows or movies.
Apr 26, 2008 1:13 PM

Feb 2008
Several people have said the same exact thing that I feel - a "mindfuck" is a WTF moment that leaves you with your mouth wide open and trying to comprehend what you just saw/read.

I'm currently going through this with each chapter that I'm reading with "Bokurano"
May 16, 2008 10:22 AM

May 2008
I usually always thought a mindfuck was more of a huge twist in a in depth story line..
Like a anime I thought was a mindfuck was death note
but also animes like dead leaves and mind game are a lot more of a mindfuck because they're WTF moments.
but I like mindfucks like death note and ergo proxy.
does anybody know more like death note and ergo proxy

Jul 1, 2008 8:48 AM

Apr 2008
Well it's the unexplained trying to get explained! I like it cause it makes you think. I think that's my simple answer. Sorry no mindfuck in my answer:)
Jul 1, 2008 11:59 AM

Feb 2008
Well the name defines itself. Midfuck is something that fucks with your head like when the plot keeps mixing reality and fantasy to the extent that you can't tell the difference between those two.
Jul 1, 2008 3:05 PM

Jun 2008
Well if if I hadn't red these comments i'd never have defined it like a WTF moment. I was leaning to the impression the pics of the club gave me. The effect of seeing the reality in another tone can always have something obscure too it, i guess that's what i was looking at. It would be like something that is toying around in ur head, connecting to it so that u feel u are being completely red and at the same time it shows more and more new things that u feel like its necessary for them to be there, but don't really get them in a rational way. Its the culprit of the consuming of culture and a perverse excitement... or so I think. I love it and sometimes hate it...
Kirameite, yurameite, aoki yumi, maihanatsu, hana mo-e yu-kuuu!!!
Aug 3, 2008 6:47 AM
Jul 2008
humans love having orgasm, why have it with genitals when you can hit the one from where it all begins? BRAIN... !

so i find it hedonistic.. Mindfuck serves...
Sep 4, 2008 3:16 PM

Mar 2008
I'm guessing it's something like writers block, maybe better, maybe worse.

Sep 5, 2008 4:58 AM
Jan 2008
katsup said:

seraphjei said:
Mind-fuck is quite simply being unable to translate what you are watching into a rational stream of thought.

I dont think i'd be able to explain it better than that haha.

But when I think of mindfucks I think of movie or shows that mess around with what our concept of reality is, and at when you can't discern what is reality or not in the show. It's when you can't really understand what is going on, and its more than just the shock factor. Good mindfucks spend a lot of time building up to the final "WTF" moment, but without the buildup beforehand it really wouldn't be a mindfuck at all.

I love them because it makes me look at things a whole new way and trying to figure out an explanation for the seemingly unexplainable series of events is the best part about watching mindfuck shows or movies.

I couldn't agree more. Imo, most of the people in this thread can't tell the difference between mindfuck and a regular plot-twist. I like plot-twists and for the most part I think that they makes good animes/movies even better, but for me there's a big difference between plot-twists and mindfuck.
Dec 28, 2008 5:25 PM

Dec 2008
1) An experience/series/event that leaves you speechless. Makes you re-think the entire mind-fuck, and question your interpretation. Did I get that right?...did that really just happen...

2) Something that keeps you wide eyed while watching. Examples...1st 6 minutes of Elfen Lied or the last episode of Higurashi no Haku Koro ni.

Feb 3, 2009 11:37 PM

Jan 2009

"An act similar to sex, involving two people sending mentally arousing brain waves to each other. No physical contact is required to mind fuck. Mind fucking is a very safe sexual act, however one should be warned that you can contract a MTD, or mentally transmitted disease. It is recommended that those who are about to mind fuck make a mental mind condom before hand, to help reduce the chance of contracting a MTD. Mind fucking is a two person activity. If you wish to engage in a form of mental sexual activity for more than 2 people, try having a mind orgy or mind threesome. Normal orgy and threesome rules apply.
I just had the most amazing mind fuck with Sara last night!!@ I got such a brainer, and her mind is so sexy. I could have eletricly compulsed on her brain all night long."

This is what Jessica from (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mind+fuck) thinks.

Criticker|Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love,|Last.fm
the things you are, and the things you never want to lose.

Aug 3, 2009 11:28 PM

May 2008
i think mindfucks are very good for us since it helps opening our minds. That's a very important thing for us humans since it is the key to evolution itself. Opening our minds means not to stay in a world where we just process what is in front of us, which is what we usually do, but to go beyond, breaking the barriers of reason and logic...
After trying acid, which is the ultimate mindfuck, I realized that its like we all live inside this room with no windows, doors or any other connection to what is outside. The thing is that we don't realize there is an outside and we live thinking this little room is everything and there is nothing more. Mindfucks are as if a window suddenly appeared in this small room so that we can realize it ourselves that there is much more than atoms and molecules, etc...
i guess i'm talking too much xD
Aug 11, 2009 10:32 AM

Jul 2009
weeeeeew said:
katsup said:

Imo, most of the people in this thread can't tell the difference between mindfuck and a regular plot-twist. I like plot-twists and for the most part I think that they makes good animes/movies even better, but for me there's a big difference between plot-twists and mindfuck.

Word.

For me, a mindfuck is something that is confusing, at least partly incomprehensible at first glance or leaving a lot up to one's own interpretations. Not an unexpected turn of events... if that was the case, even Sailor Moon would be mindfuck because Sailor Saturn is WTF not the soldier of death?! ...I hope you get what I mean.

Mindfuck, on the other hand, would be something that might not seem to make sense at first
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden, Fight Club
Dec 23, 2009 1:21 PM

Aug 2009
For me a mindfuck isn't a simple wtf moment. It's usually disturbing imagery, such as fast pace images, distortion, inverted color, hallucination, sudden change of the voice pitch and of course confusing as hell.

So what is not mindfuck for me?

Higurashi no naku koro ni even though there are some WTF moments.

So what is mindfuck for me?

NGE ep 25-26 could an example.
-Fixing-
Feb 10, 2010 3:41 PM
Sep 2009
a mindfuck for me is a theory, composed and rational, about something totally irrational. like time theories, god theories, destiny theories... if a movie/anime puts me in a state where i`m more than half convinced that that might actually be true (and then i grab a pen and a sheet of paper to see for myself), that`s a mindfuck. it fucked my principles built up in years with just 1 hour of rational nonsense, that 1 hour changed me, that`s a freaky brainwash, or mindfuck in our situation.
Feb 28, 2010 7:42 PM

Nov 2009
Definition of "Mindfuck Anime":When you sit there thinking "WTF?!!" the entire anime. Either it has an unexplainable//strange plot or throws different crazy theories at you (or maybe the character is paranoid/hallucinating and you have no idea what's actually a dream n what is reality that kind of stuff.) Stuff that messes with you. Like Cat Soup or Perfect Blue.
I like psychological n dementia (mindscrewing animes pretty much) because they're unique n can either keep you on the edge of your seat or mess with your mind. I guess it's like a game trying to figure out wtf you're watching. It's more fun trying to solve it yourself rather then having the info babyfed to you all the time. ^_^
DetectiveRukia08Feb 28, 2010 7:48 PM
Jul 9, 2010 11:40 AM

May 2010
as a example i love the Season 2 from Haruhi Suzumiya also Endless Eight. This is then minfuck? or?
Mar 18, 2011 2:53 AM

Jan 2011
something that's unexpected and makes you go WTF
Tsubasa is the most shining example of a mindfuck
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Jun 28, 2011 9:26 PM

Jun 2011
Mindfuck is simply experiencing epilepsy in a normal state of mind. Anything is seen in a different light. This leads to a clearer or a more blurred understanding of the recently analyzed concepts/ideas.

The second half of Paprika and End of Evangelion (EoE) are good examples.
_laz_Sep 10, 2011 7:28 PM
The threat is stronger than the execution.
Jul 9, 2011 5:34 AM

Feb 2010
Mind fuck is where your mind. gets fucked. lol.
it [strongly] believes something with a certain concept...only for it to be completely challenged or destroyed by something that denies the norms of society [or your mind]/ the concept..

something along those lines, not very easily explicable:P

I can be your new favorite waste of time and you'll be mine
Sep 7, 2011 4:52 AM
Dec 2010
Mindfuck is when you are reminded or told that when a certain perfectly normal string of rational events take place, the result is seems logically right yet rightfully disturbing and extremely unexpected.

It's like...

*Event A happened*

Wait what?
Oh my...it really did, wait but no! It can't be.
But yes! IT has no reason not to!
But hell, how did it come to this?!
Yet it makes perfect sense!
Somehow, but this is CRAZY!!!
But there's no other way, but why?
This wasn't supposed to happen! It's HORRIBLE!!!
But nothing was wrong. What was wrong?
Ow, my head......it hurts
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» top 3 mindfuck anime and manga ( 1 2 )

sLy777 - Aug 13, 2008

70 by PAPOrr »»
Jan 1, 2023 1:45 PM

» mindfuck-movies ( 1 2 )

opal34 - Dec 28, 2007

70 by Pish_Posh »»
Mar 23, 2019 12:14 AM

» Mindfuck-Shows

opal34 - Jul 3, 2009

11 by Usagi-Nyan »»
May 10, 2017 6:00 AM

» Anime/Manga Relations

Danish - Mar 15, 2008

35 by PantsMan »»
Jun 23, 2013 2:09 AM

» Your favourite mindfuck-moment(s)

opal34 - Dec 8, 2007

34 by Ayu-sama-0510 »»
May 14, 2012 11:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.