Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 2, 2014 11:27 PM
Jul 2012
Ok, I've gone more than 12 episodes and trying to read these damned flash messages is so fucking annoying. Sometimes, They're so fucking fast, I can't even pause fast enough to catch it. I'd have to go back, pause, miss, back, pause, miss...pause...So much fucking work. It got so fucking bad I had to extract the damned subtitles and ctrl-F shit in the flash messages that I catch a glimpse of to read the whole thing in the subtitle files.

Can any fanatic tell me, which flash messages in which episodes are important and which aren't? I'm so dazed by these things. Some follow with what the characters say, others go off on a tangent.

Whose bright idea was it to include these flash texts anyway? It's way fucking stupid.
Jan 2, 2014 11:31 PM

Apr 2007
They're not important. It's just SHAFT being SHAFT.
Jan 2, 2014 11:32 PM

Sep 2012
You don't need em to understand anything, but I read them anyways.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Jan 2, 2014 11:32 PM

Dec 2012
Not really, they're mostly just sub thoughts that aren't very important or just say 'Black frame' or something
Jan 2, 2014 11:37 PM
Jul 2012
ona said:
They're not important. It's just SHAFT being SHAFT.
SHAFT?! More like SHIT!

If the story wasn't so good, I would've dropped this shit like a constipated afternoon deuce.
Jan 2, 2014 11:37 PM

Jan 2013
stanklem28 said:
Ok, I've gone more than 12 episodes and trying to read these damned flash messages is so fucking annoying. Sometimes, They're so fucking fast, I can't even pause fast enough to catch it. I'd have to go back, pause, miss, back, pause, miss...pause...So much fucking work. It got so fucking bad I had to extract the damned subtitles and ctrl-F shit in the flash messages that I catch a glimpse of to read the whole thing in the subtitle files.

Can any fanatic tell me, which flash messages in which episodes are important and which aren't? I'm so dazed by these things. Some follow with what the characters say, others go off on a tangent.

Whose bright idea was it to include these flash texts anyway? It's way fucking stupid.

1.Use better media player that you can play frame by frame or turn off key frame function if it's supported so you can browse to the exact point you are clicking.
2.It's somewhat important yet negligible. Those texts are from the original novel and reflects what the character is thinking. Since the text is in katakana(which makes it much more difficult to read) and passes too fast, I don't think it's meant to be readable, at least for TV watchers.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jan 2, 2014 11:41 PM
Jul 2012
DawnJ said:
1.Use better media player that you can play frame by frame or turn off key frame function if it's supported so you can browse to the exact point you are clicking.
Care to tell me what professional licensed high-speed and slow-motion screen capturing advanced technology software video player you're using.
Jan 2, 2014 11:46 PM

Jan 2013
stanklem28 said:
DawnJ said:
Care to tell me what professional licensed high-speed and slow-motion screen capturing advanced technology software video player you're using.

I use PotPlayer, and I believe VLC has the same function to turn off key frame or watch frame by frame. Well, I won't bother myself installing VLC to find out, so...

In Potplayer, d is 'previous frame' hotkey and f is 'next frame' hotkey. And you can turn off key frame browsing in options.
DawnJJan 2, 2014 11:49 PM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jan 2, 2014 11:55 PM
Jul 2012
DawnJ said:
stanklem28 said:
DawnJ said:

I use PotPlayer, and I believe VLC has the same function to turn off key frame or watch frame by frame. Well, I won't bother myself installing VLC to find out, so...

In Potplayer, d is 'previous frame' hotkey and f is 'next frame' hotkey. And you can turn off key frame browsing in options.
Haha, thanks. Fucking hell. An anime that's this much trouble to watch...

Sometimes, I wish I can shoot anime developers in their kneecaps.
Jan 3, 2014 12:26 AM

Oct 2010
In Bakemonogatari, the colors of the frames are significant, but you don't really have to concern yourself with the text. It's a neat way to incorporate the monologues that appear in light novels without intruding into the anime's narrative, though. I'm not sure if this still applies to Second Season, since I have yet to watch it.

http://animeafterlifepodcast.wordpress.com/2011/04/03/bakemonogatari-animation/

Jan 3, 2014 12:31 AM

Dec 2012
It isn't necessary to read them by any means but it is better I think. Helps you know what the characters are thinking and feeling in depth. Like while talking to someone or seeing something, one of the characters might ask questions in their mind or say what they feel, aside from what is being said out loud, in the frames. I like reading them. That much is true.
"Relying on someone, helping each other out, and supporting each other. Most would say that's the right thing to do. However, that's just idealistic. In reality, someone always gets the short end of the stick"

http://p1.i.ntere.st/3b9596c6911c1c6844478fe7ace4e887_480.jpg

Jan 3, 2014 12:41 AM
Oct 2013
They contain split a second, some even quarter of a second monologues of characters. It isn't mandatory to understand the whole plot but some of them are quite funny and reading them doesn't give you a "I feel like I miss something" feeling.
Jan 3, 2014 5:17 AM
Feb 2013
I know that feeling bro, especially in Nadeko Medusa arc. I easily spend a few hours just to watch one episode including reading the flash message.
Jan 3, 2014 8:32 AM

Dec 2012
Its part of their style, its something that makes it unique. You don't have to be a retard about it.

Also why are you asking this in the Monogatari: Second Season section? This is a question you should have been asking a long time ago and gotten over.
Jan 13, 2014 7:38 PM

May 2013
Yes and no.
Jan 16, 2014 8:27 AM

Jul 2013
this is shaft style. why you ask they are using it anyways?

it is part of so called character lenses (i have read it somewhere in the depht of the internet). basically it means a story or setting explained from the eye of one protagonist. now shaft took this to a whole new level. in real life, we humans blink while acting to our environment. while blinking it is black or red depending on light. they took this literally into it.

this is why the fight scenes are so over the top, because from the eye of the narrator he feels pain (color changes in araragi vs rainy devil). you notice this also when the narrator get changed, for example in nisemonogatari the karen/kaiki scene is made without a single RED/black frame, because this is a story that he didnt witness, but heard from his sister.
similar to this the meeting between gahara and karen in tsubasa tiger arc.
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Jan 17, 2014 5:20 AM
Jan 2014
Urek said:
this is shaft style. why you ask they are using it anyways?

it is part of so called character lenses (i have read it somewhere in the depht of the internet). basically it means a story or setting explained from the eye of one protagonist. now shaft took this to a whole new level. in real life, we humans blink while acting to our environment. while blinking it is black or red depending on light. they took this literally into it.

this is why the fight scenes are so over the top, because from the eye of the narrator he feels pain (color changes in araragi vs rainy devil). you notice this also when the narrator get changed, for example in nisemonogatari the karen/kaiki scene is made without a single RED/black frame, because this is a story that he didnt witness, but heard from his sister.
similar to this the meeting between gahara and karen in tsubasa tiger arc.

I just read that today. That article's author posted his link somewhere in Bakemonogatari Ep8 discussion thread
Jan 17, 2014 5:26 AM

Sep 2013
not really, but for some reason i always bother to read them.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Feb 4, 2014 3:00 PM
Jun 2011
its pretty hillarious that NOW you complain about those texts you know in like the 4th installment of this anime.. Seriously??
Feb 4, 2014 5:08 PM
Apr 2013
Shit. Thanks to these flash messages I dropped that thing. Damn, I got a wild butthurt. And, people calling this a masterpiece because it has only unusual way of serve? Stop this planet, I'll get off.
Feb 4, 2014 5:12 PM

Apr 2013
Seventh_Element said:
Shit. Thanks to these flash messages I dropped that thing. Damn, I got a wild butthurt. And, people calling this a masterpiece because it has only unusual way of serve? Stop this planet, I'll get off.
See ya later.
I don't see why you would drop it because of it. I found it annoying at the start too but after watching more and more I just accepted it as part of the anime and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 4, 2014 7:35 PM

Aug 2012
their importance and relevance tends to correlate with how long they are on the screen. if they really don't want you to miss something it'll be up there a good while.

the rest tend to be commentary and qualifiers that while interesting or humorous are not mandatory to the story. they give a lot of interesting subtext but yeah they can drive you crazy. you can appreciate them more when you're rewatching an episode.

of course the japanese don't have to worry because they can just listen and read at the same time.

as for the series being a masterpiece? i don't know about that, but it does have a lot of literary qualities that i think set it apart from your average show. i enjoy it quite a bit, it isn't my favorite show but it's the one i always find myself coming back to.
"A good job is a constant pile up of many much simpler tasks being done well."
Feb 4, 2014 7:40 PM

Jan 2014
Seventh_Element said:
lolz you don't have to like it for it to be a master piece I respect your taste and yes those flash messages are annoying they aren't going to ruin the series for people like me.
anime with cute girls is my thing.
Feb 6, 2014 5:29 AM

Jan 2012
To be fair, those texts were less frequent in the previous installments than what S2 brought to the table, so it's understandable that people only got annoyed by them now instead of back then. As far as I remember Bake used to be the recorder in this regard, but only because a lot of them were flashed between the OP sequence's end and the rest of the episode, and the actual episodes used them fairly scarcely. Nisemono and Neko: Kuro ditched the rapid flashes at the beginning of the episodes and the rest of the episodes used them scarcely as well, but S2 stepped up the game and incorporated these texts much more frequently. I personally like this method since it can both inject more content without affecting the episode's pace, and it very often serves as a "compass" to help understand the narrator's behaviour/thoughts. Unfortunately sometimes they can be fast enough to rely on frame-by-frame playback, but most of them are managable enough to catch the missed ones when rewatching an episode, and since this show is one of those titles where it's actually useful to rewatch an episode at least once to catch the bigger-smaller things that may slipped under the radar the first time (be it either script or audiovisual related), it pays off in the end for the most part.
Feb 8, 2014 7:16 PM
Apr 2013
Emnay said:
See ya later.
I don't see why you would drop it because of it. I found it annoying at the start too but after watching more and more I just accepted it as part of the anime and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

text27 said:
lolz you don't have to like it for it to be a master piece I respect your taste and yes those flash messages are annoying they aren't going to ruin the series for people like me.

Ehh. Perhabs, understanding of it will come in time, so I'll try to introspect later.
Feb 9, 2014 3:13 PM

Jun 2012
Seventh_Element said:
Ehh. Perhabs, understanding of it will come in time, so I'll try to introspect later.

Yup, you will pick this up again alright.
When you get tired that the majority of anime is always the same, you will call this a masterpiece for sure.
Regarding the flash messages, some you really need to read it others don't. They are bigger in the first season then they are really small in the sequels, just think of them as something to create impact. When you get use to them you'll see that they are really well thought and placed in the right spots.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2013

432 by Kiikani »»
Yesterday, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

101 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 16, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amarrez - Dec 28, 2013

723 by Yubisoft »»
Apr 16, 2:04 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

245 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 12, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

204 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 11, 8:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.