Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 29, 2013 3:57 PM
Jan 2013
So how do you guys life live while being an anime fan? Do you show your power level by announcing it to the world / decorating your home with posters or kawaii stuff? Or do you keep it hidden and only talk about it with people with similar interests?

My advice is to always keep it hidden. Only reveal it when asked.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 29, 2013 4:05 PM
Jul 2018
Lol. I wear my fandom on my sleeve so to speak. I fear nothing.
Dec 29, 2013 4:06 PM

Apr 2011
I watch anime cause I like to watch it, sometimes I use a nice anime wallpaper (eyecandy for me) and that's it. Never felt a need for more and I doubt I ever will.
Dec 29, 2013 4:06 PM

Jan 2013
I've got a "I <3 ANIME" tattoo across my face and a anime 4ever tramp stamp.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Dec 29, 2013 4:11 PM
Mar 2013
I wear my Naruto headband and carry my Zanpakuto with me everywhere I go.
Dec 29, 2013 4:14 PM

Oct 2013
I'm open with my love for anime but not overbearing, and my friends like that.
Dec 29, 2013 4:16 PM
Jul 2018
I don't talk about it in public unless around friends; they have similar interests. I generally keep to myself otherwise, so it's all good.

In my home, however, my anime is openly displayed on my shelves. I don't do posters and shit, but, it has yet to cause any problems for me. I feel sorry for anyone who feels the need to hide thier shit; if someone has a problem with your hobbies or interests, then that's their problem, not yours. If you're embarassed about it, you probably have some growing up to do.
Dec 29, 2013 4:29 PM

Jul 2012
I have one Berserk T I designed (avatar image front, another guts/caska on back)
erm, a small berserk poster. and Chrollo (hxh) wallpaper. lol.

OH i have the poster that came with the FIRST Naruto DVD! I should have saved it but thought it was cute. I guess its a reminder of the way, way past ^^
Dec 29, 2013 4:34 PM
Dec 29, 2013 4:42 PM

Jan 2013
If you're referring to clothes/appearance I've got a couple of t-shirts and an Attack on Titan hoodie with the Recon Corps logo plastered on it.

But other than that, I only discuss anime/manga with those who I know are also into it.
Salmon is delicious.
Dec 29, 2013 4:42 PM

Feb 2013
Probably a little more on the show side, but not a loud enthusiastic fan. I have wall scrolls, figures, and clothing, but imo all tasteful. Especially the clothing you can't tell it's anime unless you know what it is.
Dec 29, 2013 4:52 PM

Apr 2013
There aren't that many people who know. I think I have like 1 Monogatari shirt but you couldn't tell just by looking at it unless you watched the show.
an egomaniac and a fool

Dec 29, 2013 5:09 PM
Sep 2012
I don't hide it, but I don't openly proclaim my love for it, either. A desktop wallpaper and anime discussions with my friends are enough to satisfy me.
Dec 29, 2013 6:19 PM

Aug 2013
I'm neither hiding or announcing it. I'll bring it up if it becomes relevant. I'm not trying to force my interests down people's throats.
Dec 29, 2013 6:50 PM

Sep 2007
I leave a drawing of Conan and Pikachu on people's kidneys ...

Dec 29, 2013 6:52 PM

Sep 2012
I only hint I'm just over 9000!!! *yeah over used joke... >;(*
I totally show it. As much as I can to my friends, co-workers and ppl who ask for help at my retail job( I know very little about normal movies, just tell them i'm the anime/manga guy. Then explain that lolz)
SUPER KAIOKEN RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
Dec 29, 2013 7:12 PM

Jun 2011
i do decorate my room with wall scrolls..
also stickers on my car.. few ppl & family members showed some interest..
but of course, at the first glance they thought its "Cartoons" related things.. {._.}''
http://im38.gulfup.com/gdPhK.jpg
http://im38.gulfup.com/y7L9l.jpg
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/1319/9kgp.jpg
Dec 29, 2013 7:35 PM

Oct 2008
Half my room is Hunger Games and Harry Potter, the other half is anime/manga to where I have no wall space left, One Piece, Harry Potter and the Justice League are on my ceiling . So no I don't hide it in my home, out in public I used to be open about it in broad daylight when I was in High school, Yu Yu Hakusho tshirt, FMA messerger bag, Fruits Basket purse, now not so much.
Dec 29, 2013 7:54 PM

Apr 2012
I do not like anime merchandize, so my room doesnt have any stuff in it. As for talking about anim with friends, not really whats the point, most of them at best only watch the big three. There is one particular friend of mine who also watches different stuff, I talk about it with him a bit, but anime isnt that big of a passion anyway, gaming usually is my and my friends primary discussion topic.
Dec 29, 2013 8:03 PM

Sep 2011
I don't say anything about anime until asked. When asked, I'm very open about it. I also have anime as my phone wallpaper so if they find out, fine by me.
Dec 29, 2013 8:08 PM

Apr 2012
I don't collect anime merchandise. Most of my friends don't watch anime. The ones that do watch the big 3. I don't mention anime at all unless someone approaches me on it. My old roommate watched anime; actually he introduced me to anime beyond the big 3. We use to talk about it a lot.

Dec 29, 2013 8:09 PM

Dec 2013
I actually have some fan-art made by 1 of my friends of my favorite charter, Mihawk <3.
Then I have a poster of Naruto and a Minato wallpaper ^^ I will keep decorating my room whit more stuff asap.
"I'm just a boy inside a men, not exactly who you think I am"
Dec 29, 2013 8:12 PM

Sep 2013
My power level...

A power feared by all close to me...

A power that has defeated many foes...

A power... that is kept hidden from all in the Real World...

My power level... is sealed within the deep and dark core of my still beating heart!

In other words, yes, it is usually hidden.
Dec 29, 2013 8:16 PM

Jan 2011
when people ask, i admit. when they dont, its probably not something you should mention. its kinda like a guilty pleasure.

i dont go around telling people how much i loved having a girl grinding all over me when i was at a strip club, which may i add that if you have money to burn, a strip club is your best friend.
i feel as if i am ignored most of the time on here. well fuck you too then!
Dec 29, 2013 8:19 PM

Sep 2012
Both.

To those close to me, I bet I'm incredibly annoying in how much I let every one of them know I love cutesy girly cartoons.

To those kept at arm's length or further, I'd rather they think I was a racist, sexist homophobe who beats off to underage hurtcore, than let them know I watch cutesy girly cartoons.
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Dec 29, 2013 8:24 PM

Jan 2013
I don't decorate my whole room with anime stuff, but my wallpaper is always usually anime.
I don't directly tell people I love it, but if they ask what I like to do or something i'll tell them anime. Also if someone shares my interest i'll talk to them about it.
Dec 29, 2013 8:30 PM
Dec 2013
I don't like have got something on my walls, so I think my power is hidden, wooo! I sometimes tell people about it, sometimes no, but obviously I don't hide the fact I love anime. If I talk with someone about dramas, movies, etc. I obviously clearly say, "I love the Japanese industry of animation, comics and games". I don't care about people opinion of my taste... Don't exaggerate. It's obvious each people in the World has got own taste and shouldn't be ashamed of it.

GreenBlockhead said:
My advice is to always keep it hidden. Only reveal it when asked.

Why? Is it something wrong in being a fan of anime and manga?
Dec 29, 2013 8:32 PM

Aug 2013
I guess the topic doesn't come up much when talking to friends and family that have no interest in it. I'll mention something funny I saw in a series if it's relevant to the conversation, but that's about it. I do post things on fb though. It's not like I'm going to filter my hobbies because not everyone shares them with me. At least no one assumes that anime and hentai are one in the same anymore (I used to get an awkward comment every now and then about whether or not I should be posting about *ahem* "that type of thing") >.<

Merchandise wise... our bedroom and my husbands office are covered in it. We designated our bedroom "mine" to do with as I please since he has the office. Mine is overwhelmed by figures and plushies, ghibli, and more cutesie stuff like san-x and sanrio type characters. The office is also covered but almost exclusively figures... and extremely obviously to a man's taste. We have 2 christmas trees. 1 normal one downstairs, and a white one upstairs that we decorate with anime stuff ^_^

But the rest of the house is anime free all year round except christmas when we throw a few christmas anime figures downstairs here and there.

I've got my anime keychains and bags I use when I feel like it, but I hate attention, so I do tend to dial it down a little more when outside the house than I would if I were as carefree as some (anyone here that is... I admire you)
Dec 29, 2013 8:39 PM

Apr 2011
ZRShay said:
I'm open with my love for anime but not overbearing, and my friends like that.
Same.

I have a few wall scrolls and... maybe a little too many figurines.

Edit: I also have a Fate/Stay Night cellphone strap just to let introvert anime fans know that they can be open about anime with me if they want to be friends and stuff.
yomachiDec 29, 2013 11:55 PM
Dec 29, 2013 11:51 PM

Dec 2012
When it comes to Anime an Manga, I'm pretty open about it, I don't try to hide it because there's no reason too. Usually if someone asks me something Anime related then I will indulge in a conversation with them.

Also I have a few plushies and figurines as well as some other things in my room for display. =^-^=

No reason to hide what I love. <3
Dec 30, 2013 12:35 AM

Apr 2010
Got plenty of wall scrolls of my favourite series on my walls, got a figurine collection going as well as little trinkets such as pendants, pins, little bits to hang on keyrings even though I don't actually have a keyring! Also have a bunch of plushies sitting on a chair in my room as well, and a some head accessories. XD

I haven't cosplayed yet but I have a Jellal outfit ready for when I do. I don't hide that I love anime/manga but at the same time it's not something that can be easily brought up. I am more than open to telling people about my love for it, regardless of how they may perceive me after finding out. I don't force anything on anyone or try to get them interested if they don't initially show any.

I'd have to say out of everything my pride and joy is my figurine collection, God knows how much money I'm going to have spent by the time I'm satisfied, if I ever am!
Dec 30, 2013 1:24 AM

Oct 2013
I never wear my feeling on my sleeves. I prefer to be stealthy.
Oni_LinkDec 30, 2013 3:51 PM
Dec 30, 2013 1:53 AM

Dec 2012
Ergin-sama said:
I'm neither hiding or announcing it. I'll bring it up if it becomes relevant. I'm not trying to force my interests down people's throats.

this

I don't mention it unless someone asks me directly

At that, I keep all of my anime DVDs in the drawer that my video games used to be in. Unintentionally, most people don't even know that I own anime DVDs.
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Dec 30, 2013 1:57 AM

May 2012
OriginANIME said:
I don't say anything about anime until asked. When asked, I'm very open about it. I also have anime as my phone wallpaper so if they find out, fine by me.

This is pretty much me. Minus the phone Wallpaper part.
I don't have Anime stuff except on my HDD which is well hidden.
My friends in Uni don't know about my hobby. Only one friend from High School. I frequently chat with her and she knows about it and loves Anime, too.

IF, HOWEVER, someone from Uni turns out to be an anime fan. I will be like her:
http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/characters/12/102464.jpg
S H O U T _ O L D _ B U T _ G O L D
Dec 30, 2013 2:48 AM

Apr 2010
I find it a bit saddening that some people hide it, though. Not that I'm saying to go to the rooftops and shout it out but hell, there's nothing to be embarrassed about.
Dec 30, 2013 2:52 AM

Apr 2012
antonnn said:
I find it a bit saddening that some people hide it, though. Not that I'm saying to go to the rooftops and shout it out but hell, there's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Its not about being embarassed but there is no point in talking about something you dont have in common. And I have no interest in being an anime missionar and converting people to anime.
Dec 30, 2013 3:03 AM

Jan 2013
I will openly display it, playing anime songs in Osu, watching anime in public and wearing anime t-shirts. In class presentations, some anime chibis will make it into the powerpoint slides too etc

But I wouldn't openly talk to anybody about it, unless they initiate the conservation or they are long time friends of mine.
A friend and I started ShoukoChan Anime T-shirts. We design modern and fashionable anime T-shirts you'd love to wear on a day out. Come check us out!
Dec 30, 2013 3:28 AM

Jun 2013
I like a lot of things, I'm a fan of nothing. I don't hide that I watch anime though, I just haven't found any merchandise that I'd want. I prefer my clothes to be plain or just with a pattern, I don't like posters, I don't like the plasticky look of figurines.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Dec 30, 2013 3:43 AM

Oct 2013
I have it hidden.
Dec 30, 2013 3:50 AM

Jun 2013
Emnay said:
There aren't that many people who know. I think I have like 1 Monogatari shirt but you couldn't tell just by looking at it unless you watched the show.

Want to see it!

I don't have money for posters and stuff so i only have wallpapers as my background on my computer i don't speak about anime to people who don't watch them.
Dec 30, 2013 3:54 AM
Jan 2013
Basically, the reason I made this thread was because this is what happens when you show your power level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuJMjnpUap0
Dec 30, 2013 4:09 AM

Jan 2010
Uproarious said:
I don't hide it, but I don't openly proclaim my love for it, either. A desktop wallpaper and anime discussions with my friends are enough to satisfy me.
Dec 30, 2013 1:26 PM

Apr 2010
baki502 said:
Its not about being embarassed but there is no point in talking about something you dont have in common. And I have no interest in being an anime missionar and converting people to anime.

Oh not everyone is embarrassed about it and just don't bring it up cause there's no need, I understand that, but there are plenty of people who love it but are scared of what others will think so it's completely hidden, like Kirino in Oreimo(granted hers was a bit much with the little sister thing but you get what I mean). Me saying that extends to people beyond here. I myself don't go and promote it by wearing anime accessories out so everyone that sees me knows it. But to be embarrassed about something you love? I don't know if that's love then.

I mean, if you like little kids more than you should, that's something to hide.
Dec 30, 2013 1:36 PM
May 2012
I tell everyone i know about this. not hiding it at all.
Dec 30, 2013 1:41 PM

Dec 2013
I only reveal it when asked and even then only give out the half truth :)
Dec 30, 2013 1:50 PM

Jun 2008
I don't hide it, but i don't go around talking about it to unknown people either.
Dec 30, 2013 1:50 PM

Jan 2013
Uproarious said:
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 30, 2013 1:51 PM

Apr 2013
I hide it, since I've never met anyone who likes anime/manga as much as me and my family hates it.
But in the near future, when I'll live alone, I plan to make a separate room for my collections.
Dec 30, 2013 3:10 PM
Dec 2013
I don't go shoving my anime love down other people throats, but I don't keep quiet either. I used to hide my love for anime because the kids in my class made fun of it. But now I don't give a damn about what other people think.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 22 minutes ago

2 by alshu »»
30 seconds ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 28 minutes ago

7 by cyandaqil »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

39 by Fancyjasper »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

227 by Adnash »»
6 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by logopolis »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.