Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2013 9:18 AM

Aug 2012
Apparently, all the ant soldiers are male. Some of them were created with female corpses, so they might have female traits, but everyone is male.

Everyone who fapped for her is probably feeling weird now
Oct 23, 2013 9:25 AM

Oct 2012
lupadim said:
You're contradicting yourself
Oct 23, 2013 9:48 AM

Jun 2013
In the Official Databook published by Togashi, Neferpitou is referred to using "kare" which meant "he" in Japanese. And also Neferpitou is depicted a flat-chested in the manga, so it is confirmed that he is a male. However, for some reason Madhouse gave him a bust in the anime. So maybe it's either:

Neferpitou = Male human + Female cat

or

Manga: Male
Anime: Female

but I second the latter.

lupadim said:
Apparently, all the ant soldiers are male. Some of them were created with female corpses, so they might have female traits, but everyone is male.

Zazan, dude, Zazan.
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

"It would be great to live as a human"
-Meruem, King of the Ants
Oct 23, 2013 11:45 AM

Oct 2008
seikipunch said:
In the Official Databook published by Togashi, Neferpitou is referred to using "kare" which meant "he" in Japanese. And also Neferpitou is depicted a flat-chested in the manga, so it is confirmed that he is a male. However, for some reason Madhouse gave him a bust in the anime. So maybe it's either:

or

but I second the latter.

lupadim said:

Zazan, dude, Zazan.

The kanji in that databook isn't referring to Pitou, but to Gon. This has been discussed to death, but people still keep bringing it up. Togashi's never explicitly stated one way or another Pitou's gender; he's always kept it intentionally vague, though the anime seems to have decided on female.
Oct 23, 2013 12:19 PM

Jun 2013
Dangerr said:
seikipunch said:

or

but I second the latter.

lupadim said:

Zazan, dude, Zazan.

The kanji in that databook isn't referring to Pitou, but to Gon. This has been discussed to death, but people still keep bringing it up. Togashi's never explicitly stated one way or another Pitou's gender; he's always kept it intentionally vague, though the anime seems to have decided on female.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130803143033/hunterxhunter/images/3/37/Pitou_databook_confirmation.jpg
here's where I took it from.
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

Oct 23, 2013 4:08 PM

Feb 2012
seikipunch said:
Dangerr said:
seikipunch said:

or

but I second the latter.

lupadim said:

Zazan, dude, Zazan.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130803143033/hunterxhunter/images/3/37/Pitou_databook_confirmation.jpg
here's where I took it from.

I have that same databook, and yes the 'he' here meant Pitou.
I don't know where the misleading 'referring to Gon' bit came from lol.
Oct 23, 2013 6:02 PM

Oct 2008

You're right; I constantly see this brought up, but I've never really committed to figuring it out myself, because I never really cared much before. Gon isn't the one being referenced there - I was misinformed on that point.

However, I don't think this entry in the databook conclusively proves one way or another. As an official databook, that seems absurd, but it must be taken into consideration that it was published in 2004 (to my knowledge), and Pitou wasn't very developed up to that point. That's worth noting, because historically, databooks are mostly left up to assistants rather than than the mangaka themselves. The biggest factor, though, is that in the manga itself, Pitou's never given formal gender recognition. Every instance in the manga, it's kept intentionally vague; it's not uncommon for females (especially in manga) to refer to themselves as boku, so I can't see that as reliable. I'm totally sure this is the intent Togashi had; to form a schism in the fanbase to cause conflict for the sake of conversation. It may just be easier to assume transsexual than either gender-identity, but for all intents and purposes, Pitou can be what you want it to be. In my personal opinion, the anime seems to have leaned more towards female, if not for the fact that they've given Pitou a bust and clearly feminine voice.

All that aside, the databook's entry is the only instance of the usage kare that I can think of; one that doesn't even appear in the manga. I'm more of the opinion that it's intentionally meant to be unknown.

If you want more to chew on, the HxH wiki has a pretty hilarious and heated exchange regarding this topic. Possible spoilers, so tread at your own risk:

http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Neferpitou
DangerrOct 23, 2013 6:07 PM
Oct 23, 2013 8:03 PM

Mar 2009
lupadim said:

Nah. I'll keep fapping.
Oct 24, 2013 4:39 AM

Jun 2013
Dangerr said:

You're right; I constantly see this brought up, but I've never really committed to figuring it out myself, because I never really cared much before. Gon isn't the one being referenced there - I was misinformed on that point.

However, I don't think this entry in the databook conclusively proves one way or another. As an official databook, that seems absurd, but it must be taken into consideration that it was published in 2004 (to my knowledge), and Pitou wasn't very developed up to that point. That's worth noting, because historically, databooks are mostly left up to assistants rather than than the mangaka themselves. The biggest factor, though, is that in the manga itself, Pitou's never given formal gender recognition. Every instance in the manga, it's kept intentionally vague; it's not uncommon for females (especially in manga) to refer to themselves as boku, so I can't see that as reliable. I'm totally sure this is the intent Togashi had; to form a schism in the fanbase to cause conflict for the sake of conversation. It may just be easier to assume transsexual than either gender-identity, but for all intents and purposes, Pitou can be what you want it to be. In my personal opinion, the anime seems to have leaned more towards female, if not for the fact that they've given Pitou a bust and clearly feminine voice.

All that aside, the databook's entry is the only instance of the usage kare that I can think of; one that doesn't even appear in the manga. I'm more of the opinion that it's intentionally meant to be unknown.

If you want more to chew on, the HxH wiki has a pretty hilarious and heated exchange regarding this topic. Possible spoilers, so tread at your own risk:

http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Neferpitou

If we are lucky we might get another Official Databook, and I hope Togashi clarifies the issues about Neferpitou
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

Oct 24, 2013 9:45 AM
Apr 2013
lupadim said:

Exactly. It's stated that soldiers Ants reproduce with females of other species. Which means all Ants (including Zazan) are male. Some look like females because they were made out of females humans, but that's it.
Oct 24, 2013 11:41 AM
May 2013
Django_Freeman said:

Which means all Ants (including Zazan) are male. Some look like females because they were made out of females humans, but that's it.

/facepalm
oh dear god what have they done...
Oct 24, 2013 1:26 PM
Sep 2011
Who the hell cares really? I see this get brought up on pretty much every place I see Neferpitou, of if she's even mentioned and it really pisses me off.

If you guys really want to picture Neferpitou and Zazan as men, just because some wikipedia writer believes so; go ahead. I see tits on 'em both, so for as for me: They're women (I'd personally still think so even if Madhouse said otherwise). "Django_Freeman", what you're saying is DEFINATELY bullshit; if there were no women, then everyone would go for being KING, not QUEEN - as Zazan, AND the female ants reproduce by EATING, not mating (which means there's nothing including females from other species).

If a movie never states that a clearly manly looking person actually is a man (let's say no 3rd perspective talking), do you guys really research the whole web IN CASE this man might be a transexual?

I'll never get anime fanbases, both with this and the "more animated blood, bigger boner" obsession..
RendioOct 24, 2013 1:37 PM
Oct 24, 2013 2:34 PM
Apr 2013
Rendio said:
Who the hell cares really? I see this get brought up on pretty much every place I see Neferpitou, of if she's even mentioned and it really pisses me off.

So, you say "who the hell cares" and that it pisses you off that this subject always gets brought up...and then you write a whole paragraph to argue about the exact same subject ? Don't you see some kind of contradiction ?

Rendio said:
If you guys really want to picture Neferpitou and Zazan as men, just because some wikipedia writer believes so; go ahead. I see tits on 'em both, so for as for me: They're women (I'd personally still think so even if Madhouse said otherwise)."Django_Freeman", what you're saying is DEFINATELY bullshit; if there were no women, then everyone would go for being KING, not QUEEN - as Zazan, AND the female ants reproduce by EATING, not mating (which means there's nothing including females from other species).

Zazan was made out of a female human, which means (s)he not looks like a woman but also has the memories of the WOMAN (s)he was made from. It's only natural that (s)he identifies as a woman, even though (s)he's biologically male. And yes, female Ants reproduce by eating. That is, Chimera Ant Queens reproduce by eating, since the only female Ants are the Queens. Soldiers ants reproduce by mating female, this was explicitely stated. Therefore, soldiers ants are male. Q.E.D.
Oct 24, 2013 3:59 PM

Jul 2013
Rendio said:

If you guys really want to picture Neferpitou and Zazan as men, just because some wikipedia writer believes so; go ahead. I see tits on 'em both, so for as for me: They're women (I'd personally still think so even if Madhouse said otherwise). "Django_Freeman", what you're saying is DEFINATELY bullshit; if there were no women, then everyone would go for being KING, not QUEEN - as Zazan, AND the female ants reproduce by EATING, not mating (which means there's nothing including females from other species).

If a movie never states that a clearly manly looking person actually is a man (let's say no 3rd perspective talking), do you guys really research the whole web IN CASE this man might be a transexual?

I'll never get anime fanbases, both with this and the "more animated blood, bigger boner" obsession..

Truth. Who gives a shit.

If I see what looks like a female in every way, shape, or form.. I'm registering her as such in my mind. End of story. IDGAF if she was bred by aliens or any of that bs.

And the last point about the blood is hilarious, because that's shots fired at 99% of the people on the HxH boards. Gore doesn't do shit for this anime one way or the other. It adds a bit to the dramatic effect, but that's about it.. yet you would swear it could make or break the anime based on all the comments received about it.
Oct 24, 2013 4:36 PM

Oct 2008
Django_Freeman said:
Rendio said:

So, you say "who the hell cares" and that it pisses you off that this subject always gets brought up...and then you write a whole paragraph to argue about the exact same subject ? Don't you see some kind of contradiction ?

Rendio said:
If you guys really want to picture Neferpitou and Zazan as men, just because some wikipedia writer believes so; go ahead. I see tits on 'em both, so for as for me: They're women (I'd personally still think so even if Madhouse said otherwise)."Django_Freeman", what you're saying is DEFINATELY bullshit; if there were no women, then everyone would go for being KING, not QUEEN - as Zazan, AND the female ants reproduce by EATING, not mating (which means there's nothing including females from other species).

Zazan was made out of a female human, which means (s)he not looks like a woman but also has the memories of the WOMAN (s)he was made from. It's only natural that (s)he identifies as a woman, even though (s)he's biologically male. And yes, female Ants reproduce by eating. That is, Chimera Ant Queens reproduce by eating, since the only female Ants are the Queens. Soldiers ants reproduce by mating female, this was explicitely stated. Therefore, soldiers ants are male. Q.E.D.
There are female ants aside from the queen. Those male ants who would become kings in place of the real one, female ones, likewise, can become a new queen. Zazan is clearly female, and so are many other shown ants. I can understand the controversy and speculation behind Pitou, but Zazan? Really? Togashi never stated anywhere that all ants except for the queen are male.

DangerrOct 24, 2013 4:44 PM
Oct 25, 2013 1:09 AM

Jun 2013
Dangerr said:
Django_Freeman said:
Rendio said:

Rendio said:

There are female ants aside from the queen. Those male ants who would become kings in place of the real one, female ones, likewise, can become a new queen. Zazan is clearly female, and so are many other shown ants. I can understand the controversy and speculation behind Pitou, but Zazan? Really? Togashi never stated anywhere that all ants except for the queen are male.

You're right. The Chimera Ant offspring are both male and female. The males become kings and mate with other species to reproduce, and the females become queens.
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

Oct 25, 2013 1:16 AM

Jan 2009
dodoberry said:
lupadim said:
You're contradicting yourself

lol and ye as mentioned Zazan is a female chimera ant
Oct 25, 2013 3:59 AM
Apr 2013
Dangerr said:

It's explicitely stated in the manga : if the Queen finds herself unable to give birth to Kings, then soldiers Ants will try to build their own kingdom by reproducing with FEMALES from other species.I don't see how a female soldier could reproduce with a female from any species, which means all soldiers are male.

You say that Zazan is "clearly female". What makes it so clear ? The fact that (s)he seems to be female ? Most Ants were created from humans and gain caracteristics from the human(s) they were made from : it's only natural that some of them would have female features like breasts. Then you'll say : "She calls herself a Queen". Yeah, but we know that Ants have the memories of the human they were made from, that's why they can speak human languages. So, if Zazan was made from a woman, then (s)he has said woman's memories and thus identifies as a woman.

Take Hina for instance. (S)he looks like a completely normal human, even though (s)he's an Ant. Is it that hard to believe that something that looks human but is not human could also look female but not be female ?

Why do people keep bringing up breasts as proof that some CHIMERA ANT is female ? Chimera Ants are not human, they are another species. Breasts are a caracteristic of female humans, so their presence may prove that a human being is female, but how exactly should it prove that a Chimera Ant is female ? Breasts are not a caracteristic of female Chimera Ants : the Queen is female and she doesn't have any. It's merely one of the human features some Ants received, just like having two arms and two legs. Humans have two arms and two legs : so does Zazan. Does it mean (s)he's human ?
Django_FreemanOct 25, 2013 4:13 AM
Oct 25, 2013 4:24 AM

Jun 2013
I don't remember Togashi drawing Pitou with breasts, so that means the breasts are added in by the anime production team. I'm still calling Pitou a "he".
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

Oct 25, 2013 4:50 AM

Oct 2008
Django_Freeman said:
Dangerr said:

It's explicitely stated in the manga : if the Queen finds herself unable to give birth to Kings, then soldiers Ants will try to build their own kingdom by reproducing with FEMALES from other species.I don't see how a female soldier could reproduce with a female from any species, which means all soldiers are male.

You say that Zazan is "clearly female". What makes it so clear ? The fact that (s)he seems to be female ? Most Ants were created from humans and gain caracteristics from the human(s) they were made from : it's only natural that some of them would have female features like breasts. Then you'll say : "She calls herself a Queen". Yeah, but we know that Ants have the memories of the human they were made from, that's why they can speak human languages. So, if Zazan was made from a woman, then (s)he has said woman's memories and thus identifies as a woman.

Take Hina for instance. (S)he looks like a completely normal human, even though (s)he's an Ant. Is it that hard to believe that something that looks human but is not human could also look female but not be female ?

Why do people keep bringing up breasts as proof that some CHIMERA ANT is female ? Chimera Ants are not human, they are another species. Breasts are a caracteristic of female humans, so their presence may prove that a human being is female, but how exactly should it prove that a Chimera Ant is female ? Breasts are not a caracteristic of female Chimera Ants : the Queen is female and she doesn't have any. It's merely one of the human features some Ants received, just like having two arms and two legs. Humans have two arms and two legs : so does Zazan. Does it mean (s)he's human ?

I'm not saying that it's conclusive proof one way or another. I just highly doubt that Togashi arbitrarily gave many ants distinguished female characteristics for the hell of it. If we really want to be anal about this, when Morel, Knov, and Colt are discussing reproduction, they didn't specifically say ALL soldier ants; the implication is that they were referring to male ants.

The biggest thing to me, though, is if you've read the manga:

Of course, if you want to be obstinate about it, short of seeing a female ant in the act of reproduction, we can never know for 100%. But the same goes for you, as it's all a matter of opinion. If Togashi wants to create clearly established gender identities with this race he's made, and hasn't conclusively stated one way or another that all are male, then I'm just going to go with what I feel is the simpler assumption, and say that soldier ants are both male and female.
Oct 25, 2013 5:30 AM

Dec 2012
You all seem to forget that all those monsters are himera ants and they can adopt cells and memories from ppl they've eaten and so on.
Thus even if they look like female, have breasts they all are female soldiers.

So Zazan for instance had female body but after transformation she? was looking like a overpowered crockodile, that's all.
Nyanyanya is a question due to being one of 3 loyal guards though.
Oct 25, 2013 11:38 AM
Apr 2013
Dangerr said:
I'm not saying that it's conclusive proof one way or another. I just highly doubt that Togashi arbitrarily gave many ants distinguished female characteristics for the hell of it. If we really want to be anal about this, when Morel, Knov, and Colt are discussing reproduction, they didn't specifically say ALL soldier ants; the implication is that they were referring to male ants.

He didn't do it just for the hell of it (even though he did it for Kalluto and Kurapika), he did it because otherwise it wouldn't make sense. Since Ants have taken entire villages to the Queen, including women and children, then there would necessarily be some female-looking Ants.
And assuming there are female soldiers, why exactly would Knov and Morel be referring only to male Ants ? Why would they arbitrarily decide not to talk about the behaviour of a significant fraction soldiers Ants in spite of the situation calling for it ? They couldn't possibly ignore their existence : Chimera Ants seem to have been extensively studied by the HxH world scientists, and obviously top Hunters like them would have learned everything they could about their targets.

Dangerr said:

HUGE SPOILERS FOR ANIME-ONLY VIEWERS :

Dangerr said:
Of course, if you want to be obstinate about it, short of seeing a female ant in the act of reproduction, we can never know for 100%. But the same goes for you, as it's all a matter of opinion. If Togashi wants to create clearly established gender identities with this race he's made, and hasn't conclusively stated one way or another that all are male, then I'm just going to go with what I feel is the simpler assumption, and say that soldier ants are both male and female.

Again, I don't see why Morel and Knov would just omit the existence of female soldiers if they did exist. And there's something else to consider : even if you believe that there are female Ants, how do you know who is male and who is female ? As I said, things like breasts don't matter since they are only traits gained from humans. For all we know, Rammot or Leol could be females then.
Oct 25, 2013 4:57 PM

Oct 2008
Django_Freeman said:
Dangerr said:

He didn't do it just for the hell of it (even though he did it for Kalluto and Kurapika), he did it because otherwise it wouldn't make sense. Since Ants have taken entire villages to the Queen, including women and children, then there would necessarily be some female-looking Ants.
And assuming there are female soldiers, why exactly would Knov and Morel be referring only to male Ants ? Why would they arbitrarily decide not to talk about the behaviour of a significant fraction soldiers Ants in spite of the situation calling for it ? They couldn't possibly ignore their existence : Chimera Ants seem to have been extensively studied by the HxH world scientists, and obviously top Hunters like them would have learned everything they could about their targets.

Dangerr said:

HUGE SPOILERS FOR ANIME-ONLY VIEWERS :

Dangerr said:

Again, I don't see why Morel and Knov would just omit the existence of female soldiers if they did exist. And there's something else to consider : even if you believe that there are female Ants, how do you know who is male and who is female ? As I said, things like breasts don't matter since they are only traits gained from humans. For all we know, Rammot or Leol could be females then.

Again, I'm not saying that what you're suggesting is completely impossible; following your line of thinking, it makes sense, and I was never disputing the logic of what you're saying to begin with. The thing I'm disagreeing with is the conclusive manner by which people are saying that "all ants are males", when there's no exact way to verify that; indeed, I think there's indicators that point the other way.

As for Morel and Knov "omitting the existence of female ants", I don't think that's what happened - they just didn't discuss it. Logically, assuming chimera ants have both genders, the males would be a notably larger threat to begin with, as they can indiscriminately spread their seed at a much quicker rate than a replacement queen could reproduce (It's also possible that soldier females don't have the ability to become a queen replacement, unlike the ability for male ants to take on the role of a makeshift king) - so it's possible that they felt that was the only point worth discussing, at that moment. They were in a hurry, besides.

Manga spoilers:
Feb 22, 2014 4:17 AM

Jul 2013
lupadim said:

dude what about hina, zazan, that mosquito ants killua beheaded, shidore and palm(in ant's form)
Feb 22, 2014 4:49 AM

May 2013
williamteoh97 said:
lupadim said:

dude what about hina, zazan, that mosquito ants killua beheaded, shidore and

Use spoiler tags.
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Feb 22, 2014 6:55 AM

Sep 2011
Feb 22, 2014 7:20 AM

May 2012
Why do people keep on saying that Pitou is Female in the anime? Is it because of the voice? Well it's pretty normal for voice actresses to do a boy's role... Is it because of the hair? Well maybe he got a nice perm but still, we can't say for sure that he's not a male... Just wondering why
Feb 22, 2014 9:54 AM

Feb 2013
sheidesu said:
Why do people keep on saying that Pitou is Female in the anime? Is it because of the voice? Well it's pretty normal for voice actresses to do a boy's role... Is it because of the hair? Well maybe he got a nice perm but still, we can't say for sure that he's not a male... Just wondering why

she has breasts (in the anime only) and feminine curvature.
Feb 23, 2014 1:21 AM

Jul 2013
SaSa-Zoldyck said:
williamteoh97 said:
lupadim said:

dude what about hina, zazan, that mosquito ants killua beheaded, shidore and

Use spoiler tags.
oops...my bad

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 128 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 6, 2014

398 by GulBil »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

kisami - Jun 23, 2012

209 by Nerdason »»
Today, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 35 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

FrostToaster - Jun 16, 2012

327 by Nerdason »»
Today, 5:37 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

fishergirl16 - Jun 2, 2012

139 by Nerdason »»
Today, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeGundam - Oct 1, 2011

402 by Tenhopaugordinho »»
Today, 2:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.