Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2009 2:57 AM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn. This is an awesome show, except for the (non-existent) ending. I really hope they continue this someday...

The manga is 36 volumes and ongoing, and apparently only the first 9 chapters are scanlated. Or am I missing something?

After some searching I found French translations up to volume 24, though. They better not be out of stock. :)
ballistiqueFeb 14, 2009 3:01 AM
I don't know karate, but I know karazy
Aug 6, 2011 9:50 PM

Oct 2008
Amazing anime indeed, pretty underrated in this site IMO.

Bad thing is I now want to know how it ends but manga is still not translated, it seems Endless Abyss is doing it, but advances slowly =/
Aug 15, 2011 5:59 PM
Jul 2011
This is a one of a kind anime. Very good I must say and I can't believe such a masterpiece has so little views and topics in this forum.
Sep 9, 2012 1:29 AM
Mar 2012
Enjoyed it all itsept for the ending, what a shit way to end it... if you can call that a end!
Nov 19, 2012 3:10 PM

Jul 2009
Somebody please tell me there are scanlations past the anime's story arc by now....

Definitively writing a review for this underappreciated gem soon-- coincidentally, I'm headed to Navy officer school in a few weeks. This anime was not only entertaining, but has also contributed to my motivation for my career. Even if I never find out what happens next with Kadomatsu and Kusaka, Zipang will forever hold a special place in my heart.

*cue Zipang theme with saxophone...you know the one*

Dogs eat dog food.
(...except my dog)
- P. v. Oberstein
Nov 28, 2012 7:43 AM

Dec 2009
mellytan said:
Somebody please tell me there are scanlations past the anime's story arc by now....

It's still in the middle of the Guadalcanal Arc.
Dec 6, 2012 1:37 AM
Jan 2012
Does anyone know why this anime has not yet gotten a sequel? I figure the studio was not granted a new budget or plans for another season or coninuation were gutted.
Mar 5, 2013 1:49 PM

Mar 2009
Oh, Zipang. It had an awesome start, around the middle it started slowing down and I could tell it was going to end like this. I mean, no end at all. I'm kind annoyed to be honest, with the anime ending without settling things between Yosuke and Kusaka.

It was very good in overall. All that is left is to look for the manga and hope it only gets better.

Dec 17, 2014 12:58 PM

Jan 2013
So this anime was really good, both story and visualization wise (for its year production). It started off really mysteriously, the ship time traveling and slowly adapting with the harsh world of 1942-ongoing. I rather like the fact that story didn't focus on how did we come here but why are we here. Unfortunately the anime didn't finish the whole adaptation becasue of obvious reasons. I'd still like to follow the manga afterwards, because the ending of the anime left a bad taste in my mouth, but it didn't spoil the amazing episodes it had, some of them. Overall, this anime deserves a 9 I think. It entertains you in action, intellectual dialogue, intelligence, psychology and the characters are realistic.

Such a waste this is underrated here in MAL
May 18, 2015 8:59 AM
Aug 2008
Nice show. Really looking forward to complete it in the manga. Good that they haven't messed it up by ending it in an ugly way.
Aug 21, 2015 5:13 PM

Oct 2008
I've started to watch this anime 4 years ago or so.
But right after i started, my hdd died on me, and i lost all the anime stored on it, along with the interest of this show.

Now, years later, i thought i'll give it another shot, and i can honestly say im surprised.
This show truly is a gem in the rough.
Sure, it lacks here and there, like the cgi fire animations, or a proper ending (though i have to mention, they did a good job cutting it off this way, if they had to). But all in all, it kept me entertained for all the 26 episodes. It's rare from me these days, but i watched all the episodes in just one day.

This show is truly underrated.
9/10
I'm happy that i picked it up again after all this time.
Jan 30, 2016 7:35 AM

Oct 2015
As others have said, this is a real rough diamond. The "interesting" CGI water/explosions and some of the 2D animation were sometimes distracting, but the actual story-telling/characterisation itself was meticulous and so thoughtfully-crafted. Excellent pacing too - I think only eps 16 and 17 dragged a little for me. I haven't seen an anime with this much depth and exploration of such real moral dilemmas before, and for this reason I get why it is underwatched and genuinely underrated - it's a very mature story with nothing gratuitous added for thrill or shock factor. The historical/military facts touched upon were also fascinating, I feel like I really learned something from this show too.

9/10 & new all-time favourite.
Mar 24, 2016 4:05 PM

Oct 2014
I am going to find Kusaka!
...and it ends right there.

I can completely tell some screws need to be tightened in Kusaka's head. A capable man who has gained too much knowledge. He even changed his name to infiltrate and refers Japan as Zipang!

The worst thing - I was really doubtful of that car accident and the worst case scenario it was Kadomatsu's dad. This is so unfair. >.> Father and son talk just got cut all of a sudden.

I'll always remember this sly and wise captain Umezu. This guy knows his stuff - he is prepared to die (well that's obvious in war though) and erase Mirai's existence. Rigging the ship with c4 and holding the kill switch and feigning to be as cool as a cucumber.

Saying all that, the end is pretty buzzkill for me.

7.5/10
on MAL - 7/10
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov 6, 2016 7:00 PM
Nov 2016
It's sad that the anime ended up but you can still enjoy the manga but its damn slow wanted it to be little faster. I guess you could continue from here and it's really interesting.

http://www1.gogomanga.to/zipang/zipang-70-v06.html
Apr 2, 2017 10:26 PM

Nov 2013
So this is how it ends? Seems like the sort of ending for Season One, with strong cues for Season Two, but this hasn't come to pass in years. What an unfinished situation.

There's at least one paradox now.. if the XO's father died as a boy, then it means that this timeline has completely jumped into a parallel universe. Otherwise he would cease to exist the moment that boy was killed.

I was really hoping that the Mirai would find that storm again and return to the 21st century, but that's me remembering the 1979 movie "The Final Countdown", where everything returned to normal by reentering that time warp/wormhole in the Pacific. It doesn't look like that is ever going to happen in this story. The crew of that ship are stuck in the past, and it would seem permanently so. Imagine them never seeing their families again. Imagine their families still wondering how a ship disappeared on that training exercise.

Yeah, this series was way too good for the scant following it has. What does that say about the anime fandom? I wish there were more anime of this serious nature.
Jul 11, 2017 12:40 AM

Oct 2012
i just hope the manga gets a full english scanlation in my lifetime, tbh.
Oct 3, 2017 5:41 AM

Jul 2013
Still hoping for a season two T_T. The thing that I love the most from this anime is how they didn't glorify a war like other action/war anime
Mar 29, 2020 11:55 AM

Jan 2008
I had a good time with this show, but like with many shows based on a manga, the ending was nonexistence.
Jun 17, 2021 12:30 PM

Jun 2019
My 80th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Sep 1, 2021 11:35 PM

Mar 2016
The history is altered beyond the point of no return, Yosuke saw for himself one of the countless consequences of their appearance in this era, his father dying ultimately leads back to Mirai and her crew. However, as Mirai is being tended to, Yosuke is now yet again embarking on a journey that will take him far into foreign territory once again... All in order to stop the man he once saved, Kusaka. I think this is a great cliffhanger to end the series on at least on the anime side.

I decided to watch Zipang so that I can escape the military anime now saturated with the overly typical historical, magical, fantastical and mecha-oriented theme. Not saying they're bad, but sometimes it's just nice seeing conventional modern military in action and Zipang did that VERY WELL. This show has all you want for a modern military story; naval fight, close-quarter gunfights, aerial dogfights, base infiltration, rescue operation and all the bits and pieces, a complete package just what I needed to satiate my desire to watch a good modern military show.

Honestly, this is a wonderful hidden gem, it's not very famous or popular as far as I cent tell, but it really is an amazing experience to watch this. It has always managed to keep things fresh, without stressing its audience with constant battle. It has a good amount of humour and the brotherly yet respectful relationships everyone has with one another aboard Mirai were all pleasing to witness. It's a shame the anime never got a continuation beyond this point, but I guess that's why the manga is there... I am keen to uncover what will be the fate of Zipang, this world, Mirai along with every man and woman alive.
Sep 24, 2022 10:17 PM

Jun 2010
The death of Yosuke's father happens due to no particular action taken by anyone. I suppose this is a "butterfly effect". It seems late in the story to be introducing such things when so far it seems to have deliberately limited the changes to history; the Americans are still going to take Guadalcanal, and the USS Wasp was sunk just a little earlier than it was in real history. Then suddenly, every writer's favorite generic cause of death causes a paradox and the main character no longer has a father.

It's very frustrating how the story simply cuts off as it does. It may be a product of anime series often being elaborate advertisements for the original work. Aside from that the series generally gave the ideas that it included a complex enough examination. It’s supposed to be a reflection on Japanese history but it’s almost a better attempt to portray intervention in warzones by “peacekeepers” who would like to keep everyone from starting trouble but end up having lots of trouble themselves.

It’s biggest flaw is a sluggish pace. There are quite a few episodes in which not all that much happens and probably not enough happened over the course of 26 episodes as a result. As a example close to the end, the Mirai’s battle with the USS Wasp should probably have taken one episode instead of two. If Kusaka was going to emerge as a nemesis for Yusuke as he does, it shouldn’t have taken two-thirds of the series to get there. Perhaps the ending point was chosen ahead of time to give a striking cliffhanger, but if that's true I think the series as a whole suffered for it.
Dec 1, 2022 7:46 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Well, It is not the end of the episode that I was expecting, much less anime since there is still a lot to be developed and it is only the beginning of a plot that could be sensational. A pity!!! kekeke

7/10 ;)
Mar 14, 2023 8:14 AM

Nov 2021
So... That's it huh? Do I wait for the sequel even though it obviously won't happen? What now

This is one of those hidden gems forgotten shows. I'm sad. Damn...

Jan 26, 8:07 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Watched this a while back. The first few episodes were kinda interesting but then it started heavily focusing on political talking and I just got really bored of that.
What's even worse, this anime only covers 10% of the manga's plot. By the time there's any real plot development, the anime just ends.
I give it 3/10.
I'd say read the manga instead of watching this if you're into the whole political intrigue stuff.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zipang Episode 13 Discussion

casen3ms - Dec 4, 2012

10 by The_JackMan26 »»
Apr 12, 2023 10:17 AM

Poll: » Zipang Episode 25 Discussion

abdulaziz1 - May 18, 2015

3 by Ranxomare »»
Dec 1, 2022 7:18 AM

Poll: » Zipang Episode 24 Discussion

Arnardi - Sep 7, 2012

4 by Ranxomare »»
Dec 1, 2022 6:07 AM

Poll: » Zipang Episode 23 Discussion

casen3ms - Dec 5, 2012

4 by Ranxomare »»
Dec 1, 2022 4:19 AM

Poll: » Zipang Episode 22 Discussion

casen3ms - Dec 5, 2012

6 by Ranxomare »»
Dec 1, 2022 2:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.