Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 13, 2013 6:39 PM

Aug 2012
I was unsure of which forum (anime or manga) I should be posting this on, but since it has to do with the parts of the manga that hasn't been adapted yet, I think the it's more appropriate to discuss it here.

Edit: Oops, accidentally posted it already while my post wasn't done yet.

I've heard from the experiences of a lot of people that marathoning Attack on Titan after it ended was way more enjoyable for them that it would've been if they watched it weekly. I then began to realise just how true it is in the nature of the manga and the anime themselves.

This got me to think that my actual preferred version of SnK's sequel is to be a 2 1/2 hr film like the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, which is my favourite anime film at the moment, and it's mainly because of its length and its pacing. I'll just add what I think some pros and cons if the Castle Utgard arc, for example, will be adapted into a movie.

Pros:
+ Very high and consistent quality of animations
+ With the arcs happening within a day or two, having a movie format will give it a more understandable pacing than waiting weekly.
+ Non-repetitive soundtrack (Though it wasn't bad at all during the TV series, but it was only repeated a lot of time)
+ Eren vs. Armored Titan will be a historical fight scene to see in a movie format
+ The amount of dialogue is heavy in each chapter, so having a movie can make the dialogue more tolerable, rather than having a few episodes of pure exposition and arguing that turned some people off like in the first anime.

+/- For better or for worse, less cliffhangers

Cons:
- A 6-month wait the DVD and Blu-Ray to release will be a B!7$# to wait for.
- A chance that a lot of small details will be taken out of the adaptation.
- No awesome OP or ED songs.
- Waiting 2-3 years for the sequel of the movie
- There isn't really a 'Good' ending point of the film, except for Chapter 45, which will still leave everyone hanging.
- Some scenes might become less memorable than in a TV series because it could be overshadowed by other events in the movie.
Beaver897Oct 13, 2013 7:10 PM
Oct 13, 2013 6:54 PM
Jul 2013
TV series.

Specifically a reboot, which sticks like 95% closely to the manga, while adding them Mikasa x Eren scenes + any other good expansions to the plot as the rest of that 5%.

Basically,

Attack: Titanhood. :P
Oct 13, 2013 7:06 PM

Aug 2013
How about a "none of the above" option?
Oct 13, 2013 7:07 PM
Jul 2012
Nyugaaa said:
How about a "none of the above" option?

Okay guilty crown.
Oct 13, 2013 7:17 PM

Aug 2012
Xinception said:
TV series.
Specifically a reboot, which sticks like 95% closely to the manga, while adding them Mikasa x Eren scenes + any other good expansions to the plot as the rest of that 5%.
Basically,

Do you really want the first season to be adapted into a full 25-episode reboot, or did you want it to be adapted and cut down into 10-15 episodes like what Brotherhood did? Because honestly, those first few episodes were rushed like hell, especially for the anime-only viewers.
Oct 13, 2013 7:17 PM

Jan 2009
all changes to the manga adaptation was wished by Isayama himself i heard so all the complains about the anime not adapting the manga well are invalid

a TV sequel is more appropriate since a movie like a 2 1/2 hour will just consist of like 5-6 tv episodes max
Oct 13, 2013 7:22 PM

Nov 2010
Probably just a tv sequel. Hopefully with a higher budget, I admit those stills bothered me a little in the first half.
Oct 13, 2013 8:27 PM
Sep 2013
Beaver897 said:
Xinception said:
TV series.
Basically,

Do you really want the first season to be adapted into a full 25-episode reboot, or did you want it to be adapted and cut down into 10-15 episodes like what Brotherhood did? Because honestly, those first few episodes were rushed like hell, especially for the anime-only viewers.

Not a full 25 episodes, but somewhere between 20-23 would be sufficient imo. At the very least, episodes 10-12 could be compressed into half the time. The first several episodes were fine. Actually, the training arc could be fleshed out a little more, which, for one, would clarify the relationship between Eren and Annie.

Cut all obvious padding but keep the good filler (ep. 22 type filler), don't change or leave out character development and fully animate everything with a massive budget = WIN.

Some people may think the possibility of Titan-hood small, but I don't think it's that unlikely and here's why:

1. The manga will be ending in a few years. That's the perfect timeline to announce a second show anyway, so why not Brotherhood it with a huge budget, fix everyone's nagging complaints about the first adaptation, and make this series a legend?

2. Isayama's public approval of the show is not necessarily, shall I say, bona-fide.

A first time successful mangaka doesn't know how to dictate terms to a studio; once he's sold the rights it's the studio's prerogative to take whatever direction it wants.

The real indicator of whether something is "approved" is whether it's made canon. Notice how far the anime bent Eren's characterization in episodes 24/25. Do chapters of the manga past 33 canon that?

Nope. Eren gains more and more control over himself; eventually becoming a titan commander instead of a raging idiot. What's more, he fights to protect Mikasa instead of avenging his mother.

What's more, the wall reveal was shoehorned in a highly non-canon way. I'm not sure how WIT/IG will fix that without plot ramifications, a ret-con, or an ass-pull. But Brotherhood-ing it can fix everything.
dxiaOct 13, 2013 11:22 PM
Oct 14, 2013 12:52 AM

Jun 2008
One of the things that i hate about OVA and animated film is that they butchered a lot of important details that really helps with character development and it really takes away from the show when i can't relate to any of the characters at all. Especially with story like Snk, it would be hard to do it on OVA and film format unless it is an stand-alone show. It reminded me of a similar experience where people said the berserk film were pure shit compared to the original tv series because it butchered a lot of stuff and people didn't really care for it. But if they really have a good idea, i suppose why not? On the other hand, I've seen quite a few OVA series that was adapted from the manga in the past and frankly speaking, i was not at all impress with it at all. I was left with a bitter taste and angst in my mouth like what happened when an adaption was ruined (example: Code:Breaker wow that was a piece of shit). Perhaps the experience might have been more enjoyable if i didn't know the original sources at all. But what i do know OVA that will work well when the story is based on slice-of-life genre but if it is an ova of a fantasy story that has a plot and it's still ongoing. It's very hard to attain and i don't even think i have seen one that's actually worked. I'm going to make an assumption that if it is an OVA, it's going to come in various episodes since it is impossible to finish off the ending in just 25 minutes with everything resolved. If that's the case, wouldn't it be much better to make it a tv series why bother with 2-6 ova eps. At least that's what i'll do if i was the director. Imho, i would prefer a tv series because i like it better when there's the extra details in there.

TV series>film>OVA
EstherellaOct 14, 2013 12:56 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2013 1:59 AM
Jul 2013
dxia said:
Beaver897 said:
Xinception said:
TV series.
Basically,

Not a full 25 episodes, but somewhere between 20-23 would be sufficient imo. At the very least, episodes 10-12 could be compressed into half the time. The first several episodes were fine. Actually, the training arc could be fleshed out a little more, which, for one, would clarify the relationship between Eren and Annie.

Cut all obvious padding but keep the good filler (ep. 22 type filler), don't change or leave out character development and fully animate everything with a massive budget = WIN.

Some people may think the possibility of Titan-hood small, but I don't think it's that unlikely and here's why:

1. The manga will be ending in a few years. That's the perfect timeline to announce a second show anyway, so why not Brotherhood it with a huge budget, fix everyone's nagging complaints about the first adaptation, and make this series a legend?

2. Isayama's public approval of the show is not necessarily, shall I say, bona-fide.

A first time successful mangaka doesn't know how to dictate terms to a studio; once he's sold the rights it's the studio's prerogative to take whatever direction it wants.

The real indicator of whether something is "approved" is whether it's made canon. Notice how far the anime bent Eren's characterization in episodes 24/25. Do chapters of the manga past 33 canon that?

Nope. Eren gains more and more control over himself; eventually becoming a titan commander instead of a raging idiot. What's more, he fights to protect Mikasa instead of avenging his mother.

What's more, the wall reveal was shoehorned in a highly non-canon way. I'm not sure how WIT/IG will fix that without plot ramifications, a ret-con, or an ass-pull. But Brotherhood-ing it can fix everything.

*le me piggy-backing my previous post and dxia's*

For me, Titanhood would need to be continuously airing, and have like 60+ episodes, kinda like Brotherhood:

• Starts airing right about at the near end of the manga

That should keep it in check.

Flesh out the pacing a little bit.

Fix all them stills with dat huge budget.

Add more details to the art style, maybe even have a new and improved art-style to go with it.

Maybe they could add all of those spin-off materials into the package also.
Oct 14, 2013 11:29 AM
Apr 2011
Season 2 1st episode should be a remake of episode 25.
Oct 15, 2013 3:51 PM

Jul 2013
Throttlee said:
why not all of them?

Don't you actually have some kind of preference? You want to see a movie, second season or OVA? Surely you have a preference. Or something you don't want as much.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Oct 15, 2013 4:09 PM

Jun 2012
BdaaN said:
Only problem i had with the anime was the last two episodes. Didn't like how they built off the throwing away your humanity to defeat a monster to make the fire titan stuff make some sense. Manga version was less flashy but made sense and was very important for character development.

personally I would simply prefer a tv sequel, and maybe something adapted into movie which for sure I would go o see it so the waiting wouldn't be such a problem or an OVA as an extra (of those spin-offs and prequels)

- I only draw freestyle! -
Nov 6, 2013 12:13 AM

Aug 2010
Xinception said:
TV series.

Basically,

Why? A reboot like that would be pointless if the original anime already followed the manga 95% of the time.
Nov 6, 2013 3:17 AM
Jul 2013
SagaraYuzuru said:
Xinception said:
TV series.

Basically,

Why? A reboot like that would be pointless if the original anime already followed the manga 95% of the time.

There are 2 options:

- Pull a Titanhood, which is a reboot when the manga's almost at its end, like FMA:B. Also, only plausible if a new studio does it, with a new art style.

- The most plausible option to happen: Season 2, with a re-broadcast of Season 1. This re-broadcast would fix episode 25, and some stills in the previous episodes and stuff.

More topics from this board

» Should the new "volume 35" art book with an extra chapter about Levi's backstory be considered part of this series or should it get its own entry on here?

ryan77999 - May 1

9 by ryan77999 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 139 / Ending Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NextUniverse - Apr 7, 2021

1875 by Berry-Vodka »»
May 3, 8:17 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 138 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Mar 5, 2021

1128 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 25, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 4 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Sep 11, 2011

25 by HenryDanger »»
Apr 24, 6:34 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 141 Discussion

venti_e - Sep 30, 2022

32 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 20, 1:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.