Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 5, 2009 1:53 PM

Sep 2007
^ No, totally wrong. You reversed episode two and eleven.
Feb 5, 2009 2:11 PM

May 2008
watch it in number order, because it was better that way... unless you like being confused?
Feb 5, 2009 2:22 PM

Dec 2008
I'm already confused, so whatever. I'm just gonna watch these files in whatever order they're arranged.

Here I go.
Feb 5, 2009 2:50 PM

Dec 2008
Smasher said:
I prefer broadcast order myself for the same reason as YourMessageHere.

I have the DVD box here and sadly they put the episodes in chronological order BUT when I discovered that they had an extra DVD with all the episodes in a row but in broadcast order I was ever so happy ^_^
What are you talking about? Mine didn't come with a extra DVD.

Feb 5, 2009 3:09 PM

Jun 2008
Watch it in broadcast order. It's such a better experience. Unless you have a bad memory, you wont be confused as you continue to watch episodes it'll all make sense. The anime was made to be shown how it was. You'll be missing the true experience if you watch it otherwise.
Feb 5, 2009 3:10 PM

Dec 2008
Well, started with episode 00 -- the one where they watch the movie they've been making, apparently? Cool way to start a series, if this is the broadcast order. Whatever. On to the next.
Feb 5, 2009 3:23 PM

Sep 2007
That means your either watching in broadcast order or DVD order. They'll split off at the 4th episode. If episode 4 is about baseball, you're watching in broadcast order.
Feb 5, 2009 5:45 PM

Mar 2005
*moves to haruhi board*
Feb 7, 2009 2:17 PM

Feb 2008
FeastOfThePanda said:
Smasher said:
I prefer broadcast order myself for the same reason as YourMessageHere.

I have the DVD box here and sadly they put the episodes in chronological order BUT when I discovered that they had an extra DVD with all the episodes in a row but in broadcast order I was ever so happy ^_^
What are you talking about? Mine didn't come with a extra DVD.
Obviously you're one of the infidels that didn't get the original limited edition.
Feb 11, 2009 3:40 PM

Dec 2008
antitype said:
Okay, so I've got my hands on Haruhi as fansubbed by a.f.k. Apparently this is the fansub group of choice for this show as far as I can tell, but the whole deal about the three different orders in which one can watch this series has me confused, in addition to some people posting comments on mininova saying that episodes 4 and 5 are out of order "in this batch". I've been told that the broadcast order is the best way to watch this show, but can I just watch these files in order or do I need to go here and follow that as a guide to rearranging them? Does it really matter?

Yeah. In fact, the broadcast order does have sense, actually.

You see, if you watch this anime in the chronological order the first half of the show will be a thriller story and the second half will look like an ordinary slice of life anime. However, if you watch it in the broadcast order, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu will go through the inverse order: a slice of life at first and a thriller in the last half of the show.

Because of this, you might prefer watching it in broadcast order if you like to leave the best of the show for the end (which is what the guys at Kyoto Animation intended to do), although I wouldn't reccomend it; you need to have a good memory to remember the events of every episode and mentally reconstruct the show's storyline to get to understand what the fuck is happening every time a new episode starts.

In fact, the second and third episode in broadcast order are the first and second in chronological order; that's because this two episodes explain the general basics of the story line and no one would really get what's the anime about if Kyoto Animation didn't put them together.
Feb 13, 2009 10:28 AM

Jan 2008
antitype said:
Point being, you might wanna review what you've typed when you're trying to be a smartass yourself. Instead, typo or not, you just put your foot in your mouth and end up looking silly.

Then again, critiquing grammar or spelling is usually the last refuge for the incompetent with nothing to say but an overweening ego needing to be acknowledged. If he had answered the question and then pointed out the error (more as an aside), it would have been productive and snarky. Instead he just looks like a moron.

When someone has nothing else to offer, they generally resort to spelling and grammar. Sort of sad in a pathetic, maudlin sort of way.
Feb 13, 2009 10:31 AM

Jan 2008
Smasher said:
Monad said:
I didn't like your tone in the post you made and to me you come over as an elitist prick ^_^

Nietzsche commented how it is seldom the beautiful, powerful, intelligent or talented who have a problem with "elitism." Instead it is almost universally comprised of those who are hiding from their inadequacies.
Jul 20, 2012 5:19 PM

Nov 2011
Ontario said:
Haruhi dies.

How about next time you put that in a spoiler button you fucking cock.
Jul 20, 2012 5:54 PM

Jun 2009
Tomodachi5 said:
Ontario said:
Haruhi dies.

Here's another spoiler for you: It doesn't happen. Calm down.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 20, 2012 6:04 PM

Nov 2011
insan3soldiern said:
Tomodachi5 said:
Ontario said:
Haruhi dies.

Lol, sorry, i'm currently watching it.

Either way, it's quite disappointing to hear either one. I'd rather of not known at all.
Tomodachi5Jul 20, 2012 6:31 PM
Jul 20, 2012 6:40 PM

Jun 2009
Tomodachi5 said:
insan3soldiern said:
Tomodachi5 said:
Ontario said:
Haruhi dies.

Either way, it's quite disappointing to hear either one. I'd rather of not known at all.

I mean, just watching the series you should know it's not that kind of show though. Well, in any event I'm sorry for spoiling you.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 20, 2012 6:59 PM

Nov 2011
insan3soldiern said:
Tomodachi5 said:
insan3soldiern said:
Tomodachi5 said:
Ontario said:
Haruhi dies.

I mean, just watching the series you should know it's not that kind of show though. Well, in any event I'm sorry for spoiling you.

It's not your fault. If anything it's Ontario's fault for posting the comment.
Aug 16, 2012 3:24 PM
Jul 2012
Tomodachi5 said:
insan3soldiern said:
Tomodachi5 said:
insan3soldiern said:
Tomodachi5 said:
Ontario said:
Haruhi dies.

It's not your fault. If anything it's Ontario's fault for posting the comment.

i personally make it a point to not read any forum posts or anything about a show until ive already seen it, if i can help it, solves the case of spoilers lol
Aug 17, 2012 2:49 AM
Mar 2012
nexist418 said:
antitype said:
Point being, you might wanna review what you've typed when you're trying to be a smartass yourself. Instead, typo or not, you just put your foot in your mouth and end up looking silly.

Then again, critiquing grammar or spelling is usually the last refuge for the incompetent with nothing to say but an overweening ego needing to be acknowledged. If he had answered the question and then pointed out the error (more as an aside), it would have been productive and snarky. Instead he just looks like a moron.

When someone has nothing else to offer, they generally resort to spelling and grammar. Sort of sad in a pathetic, maudlin sort of way.

I don't care what this argument is about, but shut the hell up. No one wants (or at least I don't) an incompetent idiot talking about those who make fun of others' grammar and saying they're morons. And your second post makes you sound like some wise-man wannabe. Shut up and stop trying to act smart. I point out people's mistakes in grammar to either piss them off or screw around playfully, I'd like to see how your opinion applies to that. Besides, don't meddle with people's arguments, if they want to make themselves feel like crap, then go ahead and let them. I imagine you've corrected a few grammar mistakes in your lifetime...
Anyhoo... what I really wanted to say...

There should be a poll on whether this show is better in chronological order or broadcast order... XD
EDIT:
Oh wait... there is... XD Fail.
Sep 4, 2012 9:45 AM
Jun 2009
My recomendation: see the episode 00 - Asahina Mikuru Bouken - first (episode 25 in chronological order). Then episodes 1 and 2 chronologically. Up to this point, the DVD and broadcast order agree. Now, if you think that you will be willing to re-watch the series again, continue in the broadcast order (epi 7, Boredom, the baseball one). If you are not that type, continue in the chronological order, mixing-in the second season too.

Long explanation:

The broadcast order turns filler episodes, like the baseball one, into very interesting ones, where you get lots of new information and questions. It also has a better pacing, mixing action and slice of life, and ending with a BANG (but I really liked the last chronological episode, and it is perfect to see before the movie, that is right after it). It is not a random order, but a carefully crafted one.

On the other hand, the chronological order is the best to see the character development, and other subtle details in the episodes that you will only notice/understand having watched the previous ones. And note that all the episodes of the second season happens chronologically inside the first season, and if you are watching it chronologically already, then do it right and mix in the second season too (taken from the IcecreamManwich post in another thread):

1) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I
2) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II
3) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya III
4) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya IV
5) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya V
6) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI
7) The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
8) Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (s2)
9) Mysterique Sign
10) Lone Island Syndrome I
11) Lone Island Syndrome II
12) Endless Eight I (s2)
13) Endless Eight II (s2)
14) Endless Eight III (s2)
15) Endless Eight IV (s2)
16) Endless Eight V (s2)
17) Endless Eight VI (s2)
18) Endless Eight VII (s2)
19) Endless Eight VIII (s2)
20) The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya I (s2)
21) The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya II (s2)
22) The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya III (s2)
23) The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya IV (s2)
24) The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya V (s2)
25) Mikuru Asahina's Adventure - Episode 00
26) Live A Live
27) The Day of Sagittarius
28) Someday in the Rain
29) The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (movie)

Note that the original novels aren't very chronological either. This first season has content from novels 1, 2, 3, 5. The movie, that happens chronologically after the two seasons, is from the novel 4.
Sep 4, 2012 9:50 AM

Aug 2011
Someone told me this thread is 3 years old.
Sep 20, 2012 8:08 PM
Jun 2009
Most threads in this forum are older than that.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.