Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 18, 2013 10:43 AM

Jan 2013
Guys fuckin chill!

I asked about good storydriven games with good characters and so forth. I agree with lupadim though, most of the list posted above is, for me at least, a list of what I'm not getting. At what point did Super Mario or Pokemon become good storydriven games?

As for the entire discussion of wether Spice or One Piece is good, please go somewhere else with it. I don't care who started, just don't continue it.
Aug 19, 2013 2:04 AM
Jul 2018
Try Rune Factory 3 too if you enjoy games like Harvest Moon.
Aug 19, 2013 9:56 AM

Jan 2013
cantius said:
Why are you surprised at the aforementioned games? A lot of people on this site don't read the TC's post and answer by myopic empirical data. (Topic title exclusivity)

Well thats dumb.
Aug 19, 2013 10:05 AM

Oct 2012
the world ends with you

pokemon black and white 2

elite beat agents

Sep 1, 2013 5:43 AM

Aug 2012
Tsuyuu said:
the world ends with you

pokemon black and white 2

elite beat agents

This, but remove pokémon.

Syran said:
Guys fuckin chill!

I asked about good storydriven games with good characters and so forth. I agree with lupadim though, most of the list posted above is, for me at least, a list of what I'm not getting. At what point did Super Mario or Pokemon become good storydriven games?

As for the entire discussion of wether Spice or One Piece is good, please go somewhere else with it. I don't care who started, just don't continue it.

If you want storydriven games with good characters, you basically said what "Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective" is. And you basically also said what "999" is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0at8OYbO1E

Video starts at 0:30 .

I recommend you to emulate the games you want to buy, before really buying them. Emulating Nintendo DS is the easiest thing in the world, and doing so may guarantee you will have fun with the game.
Sep 1, 2013 7:53 AM

Jul 2007
lupadim said:
deadjames said:
lupadim said:
KunoYuna said:
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
- Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness/DS/DS Cute/Sunshine Islands
- Animal Crossing: Wild World
- Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
- Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
- Pokemon: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
- Pokemon: Black/White
- Super Scribblenauts
- Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin/Order of Ecclesia/Dawn of Sorrow
- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
- GTA: China Wars
- New Super Mario Bros.
- Mario Kart DS

^ This is a example of what to NOT BUY.
Not really, there's not a single bad game on that list you just have shit taste.

Said the guy who only plays nintendo games.

Let me explain that to all you guys that are not getting it: You people are like anime fans that have only watched Naruto. Some of you have watched Death Note too, and thinks that is the master of anime. You guys have no idea the NDS game library has more than 200 titles that are 500% better than any Nintendo game you can pick, but have no fame because Nintendo didn't let them grow (they depend on the fans)

Creating a rediclous statement like that is going to get you a shit ton of hate. People will get very defensive. lol I my self won't go into the details cause i don't want to add full to the fire. But i will say TELL ME a list of GOOD games that YOU would consider.

Stay on topic at least if you can manage that.

Sep 1, 2013 9:47 AM

Aug 2012
ArtemisX said:
lupadim said:
deadjames said:
lupadim said:
KunoYuna said:
- Super Scribblenauts
- New Super Mario Bros.
- Mario Kart DS

Not really, there's not a single bad game on that list you just have shit taste.

Let me explain that to all you guys that are not getting it: You people are like anime fans that have only watched Naruto. Some of you have watched Death Note too, and thinks that is the master of anime. You guys have no idea the NDS game library has more than 200 titles that are 500% better than any Nintendo game you can pick, but have no fame because Nintendo didn't let them grow (they depend on the fans)

Creating a rediclous statement like that is going to get you a shit ton of hate. People will get very defensive. lol I my self won't go into the details cause i don't want to add full to the fire. But i will say TELL ME a list of GOOD games that YOU would consider.

Professor Layton series are published by nintendo, but they are hidden gems at the huge nintendo library.

I've played so far Professor Layton and the Curious Village, I just finished it like 30 seconds ago. It was like reading a very good book. I was totally amazed with the complex plot the game had. I had no idea it would have so many twists. I'll start playing Professor Layton and idontremember it. The series got 3 games for DS if I am not mistaken, and some more for 3Ds.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is the same thing. Totally amazing game, with many mysteries, it remembers me about Baccano; You will find many puzzle pieces, and the mroe you play, the more it makes sense.

Retro Game Challenge is, without a doubt, one of the best games ever made aswell. It is about 80s, 90s and very old games in general, you can acquire while playing. You can also buy magazines with tips and cheats, see interviews, and much more. You will basically feel like if you were at the 90s, playing those totally skill-based games. It ain't got a plot, nor characters, but it is definitely a fun game.

What else?

The World Ends With You
Picross (Made by nintendo, yes, but it is a game you have to use your brain, definitely not like those mario/pokémon games that never change)
GTA: Chinatown Wars (for some brainless fun)
Elite Beat Agents: American version of Osu!. Must-buy.

After playing those games, you will understand why I am saying that if you are just going to buy mario and pokémon games for your DS, you are being extremely dumb.
Sep 1, 2013 2:09 PM

Jul 2007
lupadim said:
ArtemisX said:
lupadim said:
deadjames said:
lupadim said:
KunoYuna said:
- Super Scribblenauts
- New Super Mario Bros.
- Mario Kart DS

Professor Layton series are published by nintendo, but they are hidden gems at the huge nintendo library.

I've played so far Professor Layton and the Curious Village, I just finished it like 30 seconds ago. It was like reading a very good book. I was totally amazed with the complex plot the game had. I had no idea it would have so many twists. I'll start playing Professor Layton and idontremember it. The series got 3 games for DS if I am not mistaken, and some more for 3Ds.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is the same thing. Totally amazing game, with many mysteries, it remembers me about Baccano; You will find many puzzle pieces, and the mroe you play, the more it makes sense.

Retro Game Challenge is, without a doubt, one of the best games ever made aswell. It is about 80s, 90s and very old games in general, you can acquire while playing. You can also buy magazines with tips and cheats, see interviews, and much more. You will basically feel like if you were at the 90s, playing those totally skill-based games. It ain't got a plot, nor characters, but it is definitely a fun game.

What else?

The World Ends With You
Picross (Made by nintendo, yes, but it is a game you have to use your brain, definitely not like those mario/pokémon games that never change)

After playing those games, you will understand why I am saying that if you are just going to buy mario and pokémon games for your DS, you are being extremely dumb.

Ok lol first of all pokemon is an enormous franchise and has a very huge fan following in the online community so i can understand alot of people playing them, just like Monster hunter is pretty big to, the most recent one on the wii U and the many iterations on the psp.

As far as your recommendations i personally would not like many of them i don't think, but then again i am not one to judge a game i have not played. But i will say i am not much of a fan of puzzle games. My favorite type of genres would probably be RPGS, action and adventure. I do occasionally like platforms to. OUt of all of those the only i ever played was the "world ends with you" i absolutly enjoyed the dialogue, the story and the gameplay is very unique.

Don't diss mario as a reto gamer my self, i grew up playing mario games and donkey kong, i love how those franchises kind of respwned newer generation titles. They are so much fun to play and really brings back to the roots of gaming when it was actually challenging. Now a days with new innovation in the industry, the challenge level of games has dropped drastically. I understand how people's love for pokemon might be overrated in some people's eyes but that does not mean that is ALL They play, i am sure most fans that play pokemon have quite the variety of other DS titles to.

Anyways a list i would consider to be good would be like
Dragon Quest series,
Megaman Zero Collection,
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn,
The legacy of Ys, Books I and II
Okamiden,
The legend of Zelda (one of my absolute favorite franchises of all time)
Radiant Historia
I would add KIngdom hearts but alot of their spin off have been pretty bad. I would say KH 3d but thats for the 3ds, my favorite portable KH game is still birth by sleep.

My DS collection is not entirely HUGE like my other collections of games, namely ps2, ps3, psp. But out of those ones those i would pick as my personal favorites. Honestly speaking i really need to get more games for my DS, i have around 650 games in total and only like 20 of them are DS and yes the majority of these are pokemon versions. But i need to expand my DS library for sure. I know their loads of other games out their i would latch onto.
ArtimesGamerSep 1, 2013 2:21 PM

Sep 2, 2013 6:20 PM

Feb 2013
Syran said:
Guys fuckin chill!

Mario games have been story driven since 1985 when Super Mario Bros came out, and Pokemon has always been story driven.
Sep 3, 2013 4:27 AM

Jan 2013
deadjames said:
Mario games have been story driven since 1985 when Super Mario Bros came out, and Pokemon has always been story driven.

Now you're just being difficult. Yes they HAVE a story that pushes the game forward but the story is so generic that I don't consider them ''story driven''. I mean, Pokemon has basically had the same story every game and Mario has never really had an interesting storyline.

Maybe I should have rephrased myself with character driven games instead. Whatever the term, I'm not looking for games with generic predictable story which is definitely the case with Pokemon and Mario.
Sep 3, 2013 5:20 AM
Jul 2013
I dont have any Nintendo DS , but a Six Gen of the Pokemon series is bout to be released . Pokemon X and Y i think ? Its name ? But thats for 3DS , is 3DS diff with DS ? Idk since i dont have any DS
Sep 3, 2013 7:22 AM

Sep 2013
I liked Pokemon Soul Silver a lot. The main story was a bit short however.

Also, Love Plus is a pretty fun game.
Sep 3, 2013 7:48 AM

May 2010
- Pokemon: HeartGold/SoulSilver
- Pokemon: Black 2/White 2
- Chrono Trigger
- Final Fantasy III
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
- Mega Man Zero Collection
- Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
- Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
- Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
- Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Sep 5, 2013 5:51 PM

Aug 2012
ArtemisX said:
lupadim said:
ArtemisX said:
lupadim said:
deadjames said:
lupadim said:
KunoYuna said:
- Super Scribblenauts
- New Super Mario Bros.
- Mario Kart DS

What else?

The World Ends With You

Ok lol first of all pokemon is an enormous franchise and has a very huge fan following in the online community so i can understand alot of people playing them, just like Monster hunter is pretty big to, the most recent one on the wii U and the many iterations on the psp.

As far as your recommendations i personally would not like many of them i don't think, but then again i am not one to judge a game i have not played. But i will say i am not much of a fan of puzzle games. My favorite type of genres would probably be RPGS, action and adventure. I do occasionally like platforms to. OUt of all of those the only i ever played was the "world ends with you" i absolutly enjoyed the dialogue, the story and the gameplay is very unique.

Don't diss mario as a reto gamer my self, i grew up playing mario games and donkey kong, i love how those franchises kind of respwned newer generation titles. They are so much fun to play and really brings back to the roots of gaming when it was actually challenging. Now a days with new innovation in the industry, the challenge level of games has dropped drastically. I understand how people's love for pokemon might be overrated in some people's eyes but that does not mean that is ALL They play, i am sure most fans that play pokemon have quite the variety of other DS titles to.

Anyways a list i would consider to be good would be like
Dragon Quest series,
Megaman Zero Collection,
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn,
The legacy of Ys, Books I and II
Okamiden,
The legend of Zelda (one of my absolute favorite franchises of all time)
Radiant Historia
I would add KIngdom hearts but alot of their spin off have been pretty bad. I would say KH 3d but thats for the 3ds, my favorite portable KH game is still birth by sleep.

My DS collection is not entirely HUGE like my other collections of games, namely ps2, ps3, psp. But out of those ones those i would pick as my personal favorites. Honestly speaking i really need to get more games for my DS, i have around 650 games in total and only like 20 of them are DS and yes the majority of these are pokemon versions. But i need to expand my DS library for sure. I know their loads of other games out their i would latch onto.

You don't know what you are saying. Nintendo WOULD HAVE good games, if they actually made games.

Is Mario fun? Yes.
Is "New Super Mario Bros: Wii U" fun?
It has exactly the same gameplay as the other 99999 marios.

Pokémon is the best example. Difference between Pokémon White 2 and Pokémon Fire Red? Probably, White 2 gets boring faster. Other than that, they changed the look of the pokémons and added some flashy effects. What about the gameplay? No change. And how many titles has it been? Four generations.

Legend of Zelda: Temples are almost always the same.

Donkey kong: Mario style.

And if you don't like puzzles, you have a completely different taste than me. I prefer games that require you to use your brain.
Sep 19, 2013 1:03 AM

Sep 2013
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Dementium
Moon
Time is money, but money won't turn back the clock.
Sep 19, 2013 2:08 AM

Sep 2013
Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver, Pokemon Black/White and Black2/White2 especially if you enjoy the pokemon series. If you haven't played Pokemon for a while or not all then Heartgold/Soulsilver would be a good choice.

Other games I'd recommend are Dragon Quest IX (An RPG with pretty good customisation) and Super Scribblenauts (looks kind of childish but is pretty fun with what can be done).
Sep 19, 2013 2:34 AM

Apr 2010
So hipster it hurts, jesus fuck.

999, the phoenix wright series, animal crossing, and soul silver get my vote. I have also heard alot of good things about the world ends with you but have not played it personally.
Sep 19, 2013 5:32 AM
Mar 2011
my top 20

20 Akumajou Dracula: Gallery of Labyrinth
19 Daisenryaku DS: Great Strategy
18 Tales of the Tempest
17 Cid to Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure no Meikyuu +
16 Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 5 - Fortune Tower to Unmei no Dice
15 Annie no Atelier: Sera Shima no Renkijutsushi
14 Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren DS
13 Lina no Atelier: Strahl no Renkinjutsushi
12 Dragon Quest Maboroshi no Daichi
11 Omikoshi Wars
10 Dragon Quest Michibikareshi Monotachi
9 Gouma Reifu Den Izuna Ni
8 Londonian Gothics: Meikyuu no Lolita
7 Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu
5 Dragon Quest Tenkuu no Hanayome
4 Megami Ibunroku: Devil Survivor
3 Xenosaga I + II
2 Fire Emblem: Shin Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Ken
1 Sword World 2.0: Game Book DS
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 19, 2013 8:55 AM

Apr 2013
If you enjoy RPGs, I would recommend
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver - If you've played any of the previous Pokemon games, you'll feel right at home with this. If you haven't, it's a very enjoyable experience catching and training creatures known as Pokemon, all with different and unique appearances and characteristics, traveling across the vast world, and becoming the very best.
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - Strategy, interesting characters, a fairly interesting plot. Everything that makes up a Fire Emblem game. The higher the difficulty you choose, the more challenges you will face. The game is fairly long and is a very fun and challenging experience.
Kingdom Hearts: 358 Days - If you've every played any of the previous Kingdom Hearts games, you will definitely enjoy this game. According to the storyline, the predecessors to this game are Kingdom Hearts 1 and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. This game is very enjoyable and includes a tale that fills in the blank of the main story. There is a lot of action, a range of different skills and weapons to possess, and challenging missions to complete. Even if you haven't played any of the previous games, starting with this isn't a bad choice. It's a nice way to get introduced to the series. Trust me, it's a great RPG series.
If you want to experience a long adventure, I would say you should play
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - This game includes a vast world to explore, interesting characters, a plethora of items to use, many secrets, and intense action. You won't be disappointed with this one.
Sep 19, 2013 10:23 AM

Apr 2011
Nux_Walpurgis said:
Hotel Dusk: Room 215

I've been thinking of playing this for a while, is it good?

Clous said:
So hipster it hurts, jesus fuck.

999, the phoenix wright series, animal crossing, and soul silver get my vote. I have also heard alot of good things about the world ends with you but have not played it personally.

There's nothing wrong with wanting hidden gems.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
2 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
2 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
2 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

29 by _Nette_ »»
2 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Today

1 by Zettaiken »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.