Forum Settings
Forums

Is it wrong to immediately not watch an anime based off it's animation?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 18, 2013 12:44 PM

May 2013
I don't watch anime if I don't like its animation, except for One Piece.. I've watched One Piece though because of peer pressure and weren't my first choice, so in general I'm a visual type of person..
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Jul 18, 2013 12:44 PM

May 2013
I don't watch anime if I don't like its animation, except for One Piece.. I've watched One Piece though because of peer pressure and weren't my first choice, so in general I'm a visual type of person..
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Jul 18, 2013 1:01 PM

Apr 2013
I don't find it wrong at all. Some people only watch anime if they can find one character "attractive" or appealing to look at. If you notice, a lot (definitely not all) of the popular anime have appealing characters. I wouldn't consider a person dense or shallow for being unable to enjoy an anime because the aesthetics don't appeal to them.
Jul 18, 2013 1:31 PM

May 2010
NostalgicDPT said:
I wouldn't consider a person dense or shallow for being unable to enjoy an anime because the aesthetics don't appeal to them.

So by comparison Charlie Chaplin's movies are shit since they are black and white. It IS really shallow to think this way. Animation isn't everything to anime, like graphics is not for video-games or CGI for movies.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Jul 18, 2013 1:35 PM

Jul 2009
I'm never put off by bad/unusual art, one of my fav' manga is Angel Densetsu, Hunter x Hunter took an art dip, didn't bother me.
I did see the imagery for Katanagatari and think 'what's this?', didn't put me off however and I enjoyed the series from ep' 1, IMO, best story that authour has put out and I really enjoy the 'Monogatari's, but Katanagatari is better. :P

Jul 18, 2013 1:36 PM

Apr 2013
You don't judge a game based off graphics, do you?

Sure, looking nice is always a plus, but a delicious meal that looks like shit is still tasty.
ssrexJul 18, 2013 1:40 PM
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Jul 18, 2013 1:38 PM

Mar 2012
Is it wrong to immediately not watch an anime because of the genre?
Is it wrong to immediately not watch an anime because of the premise?
Is it wrong to immediately not watch an anime because of the studio?
Is it wrong to immediately not watch an anime because of the rating?
Is it wrong to immediately not watch an ______ because of the ______?

No, of course not. It's called choosing what to watch and everyone does it, because time isn't infinite.

ssrex said:
You don't judge a game based off graphics, do you?
Yes, you do.

bloodlover said:
NostalgicDPT said:
I wouldn't consider a person dense or shallow for being unable to enjoy an anime because the aesthetics don't appeal to them.
So by comparison Charlie Chaplin's movies are shit since they are black and white. It IS really shallow to think this way. Animation isn't everything to anime, like graphics is not for video-games or CGI for movies.
Thanks for assuming that no one likes (or can appreciate) black and white, lol.
JoshJul 18, 2013 1:43 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 18, 2013 1:41 PM

Mar 2008
DramaEnthusiast said:
People always tell me about how great Nana is, and it is a lot like Clannad in the regard it focuses on the bad parts of life, and such. That sounded great and all, and I jumped in, and my first impression was the fucking animation. While I won't post an image directly, I'm probably sure you know what it looks like if you have seen it. It's this ultra realistic look, where the characters look like real human beings more than any other anime you will see, but the anime then frequently makes use of face-faults that are seen in anime like Lucky Star.

After a few minutes in, I just couldn't take looking at it, even if it might have been good.

That's not animation. Animation means...well...animation (movement). The right term is "art/artistic style." It's confusing and needs further clarification otherwise. If you simply said "the art style," everyone would know what you meant. However, since you said "the animation," I initially assumed you meant how poorly it was animated, but it wasn't until 2/3 down your post that you clarified that it was actually the drawing style that bothered you, which is a completely different issue.
Jul 18, 2013 1:42 PM

Dec 2012
Berserk

That is all.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Jul 18, 2013 1:46 PM

Aug 2012
bloodlover said:
NostalgicDPT said:

Comparing Charlie Chaplin's movies to anime and on top of that implying that they look like shit is a blasphemy.

Animation is part of the enjoyment. Plot holes, boring storyline and annoying characters may make you stop enjoying something, same goes for animation, it can get distracting enough. Again, films are not books.
Jul 18, 2013 1:53 PM

May 2010
figuette said:
bloodlover said:
NostalgicDPT said:

Comparing Charlie Chaplin's movies to anime and on top of that implying that they look like shit is a blasphemy.

Animation is part of the enjoyment. Plot holes, boring storyline and annoying characters may make you stop enjoying something, same goes for animation, it can get distracting enough. Again, films are not books.

I was making a parallel, not comparing per se. If you read after, you see I am making the same parallel with movies or games. Something can have great animation but still be a dump. FF Advent Children is a good example.

Jul 18, 2013 2:13 PM

Aug 2012
bloodlover said:
I was making a parallel, not comparing per se. If you read after, you see I am making the same parallel with movies or games. Something can have great animation but still be a dump. FF Advent Children is a good example.

True and it's ok to drop something even if it's pretty, again films are not just one element, if any of the elements a film consists of start bother it's very natural to want to stop watching it. All the elements are important to a different degree to different people, it doesn't make anyone shallow nor sophisticated.

As for video games, while this is true to an extend, many avoid very old games because they are too ugly and prevent the immersing effect.
Jul 18, 2013 2:44 PM

Jan 2013
bloodlover said:
NostalgicDPT said:

But is still being called animation for a reason. If the point of a animation is just to tell a story without any visual beauty to back it up, it would make more sense to just to sell the script like books.

Sometimes though, it is justified when the company is low on budget, but there's no reason to hold back and say that the graphics are shit when they could clearly do better.

Although someone giving away an anime because of poor animation do sound shallow reason, it actually has reasons to do so. Saying that this act is completely wrong is not right.

Jul 18, 2013 3:01 PM

May 2010
@figuette: The same things that apply to movies can apply to anime. Different elements are important to different people, again true but you can't give me this argument when I say The Seventh Seal is a masterpiece and Transofmers is crap. Inidvidual taste is subjective. As far as games go, graphics are not related to the immersion. Imo the story is better for this and looking at some old RPG's like Fallout or Planescape Torment, I can say that they are better and more immerse then any RPG today, even with the dated graphics.

@012yArthur0: Low budget is a low excuse. You can make great stuff with little money. Thinking of anime, Malice@Doll comes to mind and for other media, Wasteland (epic game) or movies like The Blair Witch Project or Alien.

Jul 18, 2013 3:21 PM

Aug 2012
bloodlover said:
@figuette: The same things that apply to movies can apply to anime. Different elements are important to different people, again true but you can't give me this argument when I say The Seventh Seal is a masterpiece and Transofmers is crap. Inidvidual taste is subjective. As far as games go, graphics are not related to the immersion. Imo the story is better for this and looking at some old RPG's like Fallout or Planescape Torment, I can say that they are better and more immerse then any RPG today, even with the dated graphics.

Erm.. what are you talking about? There is no point to compare artistic films with mainstream Hollywood blockbusters in the same way that there is no point to compare Glassy Ocean to Naruto

Back to the topic, though, if someone dropped Seventh Seal because he didn't liked how it looked then there is that, it doesn't makes them shallow, not everyone has to appreciate and like "masterpieces" or watch artistic movies in the same way or for the same reasons. Not watching Seventh Seal because whatever reason doesn't make you shallow in the same way that watching it doesn't makes you sophisticated and cultured. And enjoying something is very very subjective, there is not objectivity in it.
figuetteJul 18, 2013 5:02 PM
Jul 18, 2013 4:11 PM

Jan 2013
bloodlover said:

@012yArthur0: Low budget is a low excuse. You can make great stuff with little money. Thinking of anime, Malice@Doll comes to mind and for other media, Wasteland (epic game) or movies like The Blair Witch Project or Alien.

A low one, but somewhat valid when it does get in the way. Well, to prove your point though, SAO had good graphics and used little money if I know.

Jul 18, 2013 5:15 PM

Jun 2012
My first anime was Love Hina. After that, at first I refused to watch stuff with unusual hair colors so my second anime was School Days. After that it was Clannad because the hair looked kind of normal, although the bug eyes did turn me off at first.

I did eventually get used to all of that stuff by now and I even watched Aku No Hana.
Shoot first, think never.
Jul 18, 2013 5:56 PM

Dec 2007
DramaEnthusiast said:
It's this ultra realistic look, where the characters look like real human beings more than any other anime you will see

...Have you ever seen those real human beings you speak of?
Oct 14, 2013 3:15 PM
Mar 2013
You're basically saying Japanese people are ugly since the anime is traced from real Japanese peoples' faces. You're sick.
Oct 14, 2013 3:22 PM

Oct 2013
Yes I say it again Kill la-kill is a perfect example.
Oct 14, 2013 3:52 PM

Dec 2012
yes
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Oct 14, 2013 3:54 PM

Oct 2013
In some cases, yes.
Oct 14, 2013 4:03 PM

Sep 2012
Yes, but I do it anyway. Sadly I base anime off its art sometimes and if the story doesn't seem good enough while it has art I don't like I won't watch it. No matter how good of a story there is, I will never watch it if it was moe looking characters.
Oct 14, 2013 4:04 PM

Sep 2013
Animations are not people, it's alright to hate them based solely on appearances.
There's no need for all this tension.
Oct 14, 2013 4:06 PM

Jul 2013
Well I dropped Clannad because I couldn't stand the characters eyes, it bothered me so much
ᵖᵉʷ ᵖᵉʷ 🔫
Oct 14, 2013 4:14 PM

Aug 2013
Nana's art style irritated me initially. But I'm glad I pushed through it, I stopped noticing after a few episodes. (The same with Shiki's character designs...which strike me as silly).

It's not exactly wrong, anime is a visual medium. I suppose it depends on how important the art style and animation are to your viewing pleasure.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Oct 14, 2013 4:19 PM

Jun 2012
Yeah it's wrong, animation doesn't mean shit overall. If we're talking about art style or artistic merit, then I can understand. Artistic value can greatly drive up how a show is viewed. If the sole reason is "wow, this looks so old" then that's just petty. Some of the best stories in anime don't have the greatest animation. So no, it's kind of weird to not watch a show just because the animation isn't so great.
получить деньги моего друга
Oct 14, 2013 4:32 PM

Sep 2013
I kinda hate realistic artstyles too. At least the girls have to look normal, otherwise I won't watch it.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Oct 14, 2013 4:35 PM

May 2013
Nope its not. If it bugs me to death and hurts my eyes, it affects my enjoyment thus making it pointless.
Oct 14, 2013 4:36 PM
Jul 2018
Don't you mean artstyle? Animation and art style aren't the same thing.

Anyways, its not wrong. Watch whatever you enjoy. Though it is nice to have an open mind and try to forgive series sometimes.
Oct 14, 2013 5:00 PM

Feb 2010
The wrongest wrongness ever committed.
I probably regret this post by now.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Your biggest why …? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

62 by Archean-Return »»
14 minutes ago

» Most underrated anime you have seen?

HotHamlet - 2 hours ago

13 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you guys pretend to hate anime? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - May 11

58 by MinakoBestGirl »»
25 minutes ago

» Why is there a stigma in the anime community towards people who enjoy children anime? Like YuGiOh, Pokemon, PreCure etc.

removed-user - May 10

27 by Bruh69XD »»
52 minutes ago

» If there a Cute Guys doing cute thing would you watch it?

RedTea33 - May 9

33 by Bruh69XD »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.