Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 21, 2013 6:47 PM

Oct 2010
I like my fair of experimental anime, and this is not to say that I don't respect people opinion on the show, but what makes the show look so ugly to some people?

Is it because the characters don't look exactly how they do in the manga?

Is it because it's rotoscoped or the way it's rotoscoped?

Is it because the character design don't have a moe-ish look or feel anime like?

Or all the above?

While I can't blame people for not liking the design because it is experimental and it suppose to push the boundaries a little, but I never would have thought that people would have so much strong feelings on the design. I personally think the rotoscope looks better than the MANGA!!!!!!!!

While I haven't read that much of the manga, but I can say that artwork is not a strong point of manga. When I think of bad anime design I think ...
Dead Leaves (Great Movie)
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
Fatal Fury:Motion Picture
Kakugo no Susume
Baki the Grappler
Koi Kaze
And etc. I think that the rotoscope in the show is not just a breath of fresh, but rotoscoping fits the mood of the show, it gives the show a realistic look, it give off realistic movement, the way dialogue sound and rotoscoping really make it feel like I'm looking a real Japanese setting unlike some anime, the background are hand down beautiful, and some scene looks incredible rotoscoped.

The two things I sometimes don't like about the show is the main character and the pace of the story.

I'm not bashing anybody, but really want to know why people don't like the show or the artwork so much? Also is the artwork that unbearable that people can't watch the show?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 25, 2013 3:50 PM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
Short answer: All the above.

Longer Answer: Because it's innovative and intelligent? The show isn't even finished yet and there are a lot of people that are rating it high. Can't please everyone. Look at Elfen Lied, half the people hate it rabidly, saying it is the most disgusting crap ever made, while the other half declare it a Masterpiece, one of the best anime's ever made. Who is right?

If you like the show, fine, recommend it to your friends and don't worry about the haters.
Jul 25, 2013 5:07 AM
Dec 2012
I think it was a wise choice. I wouldn't like the anime to go any other way than it did. I didn't like it at the start, but what did ya know? I turned to like it. The down-to-earth storyline is so near and realistic to us that rotoscoping is just the right idea. I think it's hated because of its unusual art style. And also because of NO MOE. Plus, the storyline is quite matured and so real that some people might be somewhat "afraid" to watch it as it relates to us all. To me, it's a good series. Wouldn't say best of the best but I still love Aku No Hana, anime or manga. Looking forward to the second season.
Dec 24, 2014 11:41 PM

Oct 2012
yeah this is kind of dead thread but i love aku no hana so ill post anyway. i think the rotoscope was a big reason on why most people dont like it. its weird. anime is just all animation from a specific country, so why should it all look the same? i praise aku no hana for looking particularly unique. i feel like a lot of people cant deal with watching a show about people who dont look attractive, because thats just what they want to watch. it is also an INTENSELY slow paced show, which a lot of people just aren't interested is. i love aku no hana, but the only people who saw that show are people who watch a lot of anime and most people who watch anime are not at all part of the target demographic for aku no hana. i get why people dont like it and i dont even blame them for it honestly, but i think its pretty brilliant.
Mar 26, 2015 6:14 AM
Jul 2014
All of the above:) Rotoscope did wonders for Aku no Hana! One od my favorite, if not the!
Sep 20, 2015 2:45 AM
Apr 2015
its not bacase of the art work. Thhis anime make people experience difficult and probably unpleasand fellings like shyness and awkwardness. Especialli yonger people watch pink stuff and thay ano not used to heavy shit )))
I really love aku no hanna probably i started watching anime becase of this series.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Oct 19, 2015 4:50 PM
Jul 2014
Why is Aku no Hana so hated?!?
Because it's MASTERPIECE indeed. One of the most shocking, unique, brilliant, dark, depressing (meant here as positive property), etc,etc,etc. About hatred against Aku no Hana: As we all know - water-headed post-MTV kids, first, can't get through chosen animation style-rotoscoping,which particularly in Aku no Hana, with it's dark and gloomy mood, 'works' for and serves this show just perfectly! And second, I strongly believe Aku no Hana demands certain intelligent and emotional depth which few of 'specimens' listed above actually possess. It's not necessary at all to thoroughly know and understand works of Baudelaire (or poet himself for that matter), neither is necessary even particularly exquisite understanding of Art history itself! What is essentially needed though, is quite plain and simple: A certain degree of emotional intelligence which nowadays emotionally retarded, spoiled and rich kids unfortunately does not possess!!!

Everything written above is not meant as an insult!!! Please take that into account! If I have offended anyone, I sincerely apologize to him and to MAL community as well.

PS: I don't agree that Aku no Hana characters aren't moe-ish. Personally I find them stunningly truthful and real! I see myself in, and can totally relate to, Takao Kasuga; Sawa Nakamura (I could easily wrote Mariya Ise) scares the shit out of me every time she walks into the scene! And, last but not least: in fact, I fell in love with Yoko Hikasa the moment I saw her portrayed Nanako Saeki for the first time!!!

I wish you all a lot of fun and excitement when watching Anime Aku no Hana!!! :)
jakovOct 19, 2015 6:52 PM
Jan 25, 2018 2:16 PM
Mar 2015
I know this a late reply, but:

It's hated mainly for its anarchic appeal. It blatantly spits in the face of conventional entertainment...and really society. But, that's a good thing.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» More Titles ( 1 2 3 )

GOKU_NO_SORROW - Jan 12, 2008

109 by molodjez »»
Dec 25, 2021 9:08 AM

» What is the unusual anime you have seem.

Royce - Mar 29, 2014

3 by Fab3r_of_will »»
Jun 17, 2017 5:21 PM

» Anime with Unusually Stunning Music

test1389 - Jan 2, 2010

14 by brockolee »»
May 9, 2017 12:12 AM

» Introductions

hartschaotica - Dec 4, 2011

4 by chitochito »»
Oct 15, 2016 6:38 AM

» Art Student anime

starshinesMonet - Mar 22, 2012

1 by titaniachkt »»
Apr 6, 2012 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.