Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 14, 2013 3:44 PM
Mar 2013
Geez. I loved this movie. I know everyone seems to prefer dark, troubled heroes these days, but I'd take this over the brooders any day. The rescue scenes early on gave me chills. Honestly, I wanted more of them. Hell, the movie could have been nothing but that, and I still would have loved it. Some one who just saves people when hope is lost. Incredible. The movie contrasted that nicely with scenes of other kids teasing young. Clarke. Loved those too. His restraint shown, but also his power. Great show of menace.

The FX? Fantastic. And this was the first time I've ever like Lois Lane. I know it won't be for everyone, but I haven't enjoyed a summer movie this much since Batman Begins.
Keith Yatsuhahi

Author with @angryrobotbooks. Kojiki & Kokoro are out now. Agent: Laura Zats,(@lzats), @RedSofaLiterary. Dad, golfer, #SFF & #anime fan

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 16, 2013 6:44 PM

Apr 2012
Read the Man of Steel Prequel special Edition, it explains some stuff from the movie

My only problem is that Superman broke his one rule of not killing anyone. But I guess he had no choice

Also, how did Lois get from ground zero (where Morpheus and the other two daily planet people were) to outside the affected area where Zod had died.
I refer to the area as "outside the affected area" since when Zod and Superman were flying past these buildings, the area seemed to be perfectly fine and untouched.

Also, why weren't humans affected by the Gravity change. We saw cars being lifted up and crushed, but humans were running past them just fine.
FrostToasterJun 17, 2013 8:10 AM
Jun 16, 2013 7:37 PM

Jan 2008
FrostToaster said:
Read the Man of Steel Prequel special Edition, it explains some stuff from the movie

My only problem is that Superman broke his one rule of not killing anyone. But I guess he had no choice

Think he was pretty sad about it too you know... with the screaming and all... Clearly didn't have much of a choice.
Jun 17, 2013 6:36 AM
Mar 2013
I really don't know much about Superman from the comics, so I don't know when a movie gets that part of the story right. Still, regarding the killing, that battle with Zod alone had to kill a lot of people. We just didn't see it. Maybe Superman didn't target those people, but he's just as responsible for those who died as Zod.
Keith Yatsuhahi

Author with @angryrobotbooks. Kojiki & Kokoro are out now. Agent: Laura Zats,(@lzats), @RedSofaLiterary. Dad, golfer, #SFF & #anime fan

Jun 17, 2013 7:47 AM

Apr 2012
Great movie just loved it. The story was the main strength of the whole movie.

。◕‿◕。 Fun In Life is what Matters! The More the Fun the better your Life Becomes!! 。◕‿◕。

Jun 18, 2013 9:18 PM

Sep 2012
I thought it was pretty meh.

I was never a big Superman fan. I liked it enough for it to hold my interest, but I wouldn't see it again.

The fight scene at the end was laughably ridiculous. Was there a single building/car/road/field/orbital satellite that they didn't completely smash each other through? Christ.

He saved the city.... by destroying almost every single building, no doubt killing thousands of people in the process.
Jun 18, 2013 9:31 PM

Oct 2012
Saw this Sunday and....sorta disappointed.

To praise this film in one way, I really loved the action/vfx (especially the World Engine with that ominous hum of chaos, damn that was great!)
I also appreciated the format of how it told the story of Superman in a different way (i.e. flashbacks instead of the traditional straightforward crash on Earth -> farm boy -> Daily Planet/Superhero)

But man, other than that, I just have to go, "Why?"
I didn't think the Louis Lane was executed properly, and I don't see the rushed romance working right...or feeling right.
Then there's Zod. A lot from what I gather, viewers prefer this Zod over Superman II's Zod; not me. The reason being was because I liked the menacing lack of morality the old Zod had and how he would really mess with Superman's feelings and actually make Superman have some disparity about trying to protect humanity. However, this newer Zod, while more interesting, just did not try to pull on Superman's heart strings. Sure, LOTS of people died, but it's people I don't care about.
Also, In the Man of Steel, I didn't get the sense that Superman had great sense of, "Justice" and "Protecting the good of humanity" strongly.
I'm not sure how to describe it, but this portrayal of Superman felt...dry.

Overall, a 6.8/10 I'd say.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 18, 2013 9:36 PM

Dec 2009
Red_Keys said:

I was never a big Superman fan. I liked it enough for it to hold my interest, but I wouldn't see it again.

The fight scene at the end was laughably ridiculous. Was there a single building/car/road/field/orbital satellite that they didn't completely smash each other through? Christ.

He saved the city.... by destroying almost every single building, no doubt killing thousands of people in the process.

This.
Jun 18, 2013 9:38 PM

Sep 2011
I havent heard that many good things about it, ill probably pass, especially since superman is the lamest hero aside from how hilariously evil he was in old comics
http://www.ranker.com/list/the-50-greatest-examples-of-superman-being-a-dick/ariel-kana

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 18, 2013 9:59 PM

Mar 2011
FrostToaster said:

Also, why weren't humans affected by the Gravity change. We saw cars being lifted up and crushed, but humans were running past them just fine.

Was is really like that? I thought I saw civilians being lifted up and dropped in some of the larger-area shots. But yeah, I was pretty surprised at how destructive this whole movie was. Literally everything was crushed to rubble. Plus seeing it all in 3D kind of fried my brain, but I thought it was a great movie. I would see it again for Cavill's lovely face and for my beloved Detective Stabler.
Jun 18, 2013 10:01 PM

Sep 2012
Before I watched the movie, I thought Lois was played by Pam from The Office lol
Jun 18, 2013 10:16 PM

Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
Before I watched the movie, I thought Lois was played by Pam from The Office lol

While I didn't think the same back when I watched the movie, I see where you're coming from now lol

Jun 18, 2013 10:21 PM

Nov 2011
Edefrem said:
FrostToaster said:

Was is really like that? I thought I saw civilians being lifted up and dropped in some of the larger-area shots. But yeah, I was pretty surprised at how destructive this whole movie was. Literally everything was crushed to rubble. Plus seeing it all in 3D kind of fried my brain, but I thought it was a great movie. I would see it again for Cavill's lovely face and for my beloved Detective Stabler.

Thats what happen when your punches can break the sound barrier dozens of times over. This is the first movie I think to truly get how godlike beings should fight.
The Art of Eight
Jun 18, 2013 10:26 PM

Apr 2012
Edefrem said:
FrostToaster said:

I expected you to mention Cavill's body.. weird how you mentioned his face first.

Anyways I noticed it more in the shots from the street that the people were relatively unaffected while the cars got destroyed. Also Millions of metropolites died from Zod. Lois must have the most incredible luck out of anyone in the movie.
Jun 18, 2013 10:32 PM

Mar 2011
FrostToaster said:

I expected you to mention Cavill's body.. weird how you mentioned his face first.

Anyways I noticed it more in the shots from the street that the people were relatively unaffected while the cars got destroyed. Also Millions of metropolites died from Zod. Lois must have the most incredible luck out of anyone in the movie.
In all honesty, I didn't even notice his body :P I was too busy admiring his goryjeeus face.
And yeah, unlike the Marvel movies, I was struck by how so many bystanders were literally just dying. I wonder how much is cost just to animate all those buildings being smashed.
And Lois Lane is a comic book heroine and is therefore immune to being killed and what not.
Inb4
Jun 18, 2013 10:33 PM

Apr 2012
dankickyou said:

Thats what happen when your punches can break the sound barrier dozens of times over. This is the first movie I think to truly get how godlike beings should fight.

The scenes where Faora-Ul (the female Kryptonian) was taking on the armed soldiers was awesome. She would chain her attacks from one guy to the next. It made me think of Assassin's Rush from Fable.
Jun 19, 2013 9:57 AM

Sep 2007
Apparently the physical damage of the city in Man of Steel is at an estimated $700b.
Jun 19, 2013 4:34 PM

Jan 2009
I liked it, it was a good action move. Not much more, though. Then again, that's all I really wanted, was to watch superman punch people through buildings so I got what I paid for.
Jun 19, 2013 4:39 PM

Nov 2011
T'was okay.
Story wasn't anything spectacular beyond what we know of Superman's origin, as said, it was mainly just for action. Although, I admit, at one point I think they had enough action and should have stopped, but then they went back in and put some more.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jun 19, 2013 4:45 PM

Jan 2008
FrostToaster said:
dankickyou said:

The scenes where Faora-Ul (the female Kryptonian) was taking on the armed soldiers was awesome. She would chain her attacks from one guy to the next. It made me think of Assassin's Rush from Fable.

Her fight scenes were my favorite.

One thing that disappointed me was that I sat through the entire credits expecting some cameo or something for the next movie, nothing. /sigh.

Were there any cameo or hints or anything during the movie? Not being a super hero expert I'm not sure if I missed anything. Was at least expecting to see Lex or something.
Jun 19, 2013 4:54 PM

Oct 2012
Paul said:

One thing that disappointed me was that I sat through the entire credits expecting some cameo or something for the next movie, nothing. /sigh.

Were there any cameo or hints or anything during the movie? Not being a super hero expert I'm not sure if I missed anything. Was at least expecting to see Lex or something.

One of the trucks that Zod threw at Superman said Lex Corp. Also, the satellite in space said Wayne Industries (according to what I read)

Jun 19, 2013 4:55 PM

Sep 2012
Oh yea I heard something about a Justice League movie I think, with Superman and Batman.
Jun 19, 2013 4:56 PM

Mar 2011
"After running simulations on Manhattan and Chicago, they got a sense of what the damage would've been. WTC estimates 129,000 people would've been killed, over 250,000 left missing, and almost a million injured. In total, WTC estimates the physical damage to be about $700 billion (compared to, for example, the $55 billion 9/11 caused). In total, WTC estimates the entire economic impact at $2 trillion. But, hey, at least that one family in the train station is okay."

LMAO, I can't stop laughing at how afwul the damages turned out to be. 100k dead? 2.5k missing? $700 billion on impact and $2 trillion overall?

Superheros would be the death an economy.

Paul said:

Yeah, there was LexCorp building shown in the city and a Wayne enterprises satellite shown. I only caught the first one though.
Jun 19, 2013 5:05 PM

Jan 2008
Red_Keys said:
Oh yea I heard something about a Justice League movie I think, with Superman and Batman.

Can't help but see the movie suck if they decide to include CGI Mask Green Lantern from that one movie...

Anyways, I seemed to have missed all the cameos listed above... I guess I was too much into the fight scenes.
Jun 19, 2013 5:38 PM
Mar 2011
ywan another superman movie

DC hasa wide line up but you nver a see one of there other a listers [ not batman] get 1 a good movie 2 one were its the proper person in the suit
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 19, 2013 5:49 PM

Sep 2011
DateYutaka said:

DC hasa wide line up but you nver a see one of there other a listers [ not batman] get 1 a good movie 2 one were its the proper person in the suit

Mate, I think your keyboard might be broken or something.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Jun 19, 2013 6:11 PM

Oct 2012
CommanderJenny said:
DateYutaka said:

Mate, I think your keyboard might be broken or something.

That's quite a long ass time for a keyboard to be broken.

Jun 19, 2013 6:18 PM
Mar 2011
people say anime gets trite
but all WB does is movies with the same hero over Again be seams
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jun 19, 2013 10:20 PM

Jan 2008
Red_Keys said:

You're bringing logic into a world that lacks logic. XD

Have you ever read a comic where Superman is fighting another superbeing? That kind of devastation is expected. Just look at his fight with Doomsday.
GunbladewarriorJun 20, 2013 2:00 AM
Jun 19, 2013 10:29 PM

Nov 2011
Edefrem said:
"After running simulations on Manhattan and Chicago, they got a sense of what the damage would've been. WTC estimates 129,000 people would've been killed, over 250,000 left missing, and almost a million injured. In total, WTC estimates the physical damage to be about $700 billion (compared to, for example, the $55 billion 9/11 caused). In total, WTC estimates the entire economic impact at $2 trillion. But, hey, at least that one family in the train station is okay."

LMAO, I can't stop laughing at how afwul the damages turned out to be. 100k dead? 2.5k missing? $700 billion on impact and $2 trillion overall?

Superheros would be the death an economy.

Better a destroyed city than the extinction of the entire human race. :v
The Art of Eight
Jun 20, 2013 12:18 AM

Mar 2010
Wasabi said:
Apparently the physical damage of the city in Man of Steel is at an estimated $700b.

or roughly 14 9/11s
Jun 20, 2013 12:31 AM

Nov 2011
MyLonesomeCowboy said:
Wasabi said:

or roughly 14 9/11s

seems a bit low actually. The World Maker alone was smashing dozens upon dozens of buildings and vehicles into a complete flat paste and this was before Supes and Zod started fighting.
The Art of Eight
Jun 20, 2013 12:35 AM

Mar 2010
I haven't actually seen it yet, but if it's anything like people have been describing than yea 14 9/11s does seem a bit low.

I'm curious though is it crazier than the complete leveling of SF in ST:ID?
MyLonesomeCowboyJun 20, 2013 2:33 AM
Jun 20, 2013 2:06 AM

Jan 2008
"Lots of people died!!!"

I'm guessing some of you have never read DC comics before.

----

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie, but my one complaint was it took the Spideman route(Tobey MaGuire version). Way too many people knew his "secret" identity.
Jun 20, 2013 3:18 AM
Mar 2011
Aggra-Def said:
Comparing one movie studio to the entire anime industry is pretty laughable.

i never did that but WB own DC and there Big ass roster of heros and they rehash the same few hero the way they handel there comics is loke Kyo ani in anime the same think over and over again

and the coimc fans doth protest no

id kill to see a Movie of 52 or crisis

Jun 20, 2013 3:24 AM

Dec 2009
DateYutaka said:
i never did that but WB own DC and there Big ass roster of heros and they rehash the same few hero the way they handel there comics is loke Kyo ani in anime the same think over and over again

and the coimc fans doth protest no

id kill to see a Movie of 52 or crisis

I am absolutely baffled to see someone this terrible at English use the word "doth".

But yeah, those movies are getting pretty fucking old. It's like Endless Eight turned into a series of movies, except not awesome.
Jun 20, 2013 9:10 AM

Apr 2012
It was alright, certainly wasn't the Dark Knight movies, but it was alright.
Jun 20, 2013 9:14 AM

Apr 2012
Tavor said:
Paul said:

One of the trucks that Zod threw at Superman said Lex Corp. Also, the satellite in space said Wayne Industries (according to what I read)

Also Clark came home in a Lex Corp truck.
Jun 20, 2013 9:17 AM

Apr 2012
Gunbladewarrior said:
Red_Keys said:

Have you ever read a comic where Superman is fighting another superbeing? That kind of devastation is expected. Just look at his fight with Doomsday.

Or Kingdom Come.
Jun 20, 2013 10:39 AM

Jan 2008
FrostToaster said:
Gunbladewarrior said:
Red_Keys said:

Or Kingdom Come.

Jun 20, 2013 7:16 PM

Sep 2009
This is pretty much my impression of the movie.

Jun 20, 2013 7:21 PM

Jul 2007
This was probably the most bland superhero movie I've ever seen.

Not too surprising. After the wad that superhero movies blew last year, I expected this would be a terrible year for them, and so far I've been right.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jun 20, 2013 8:33 PM

Nov 2011
I was gonna see that Movie but I decided to watch The Purge instead.
Jun 23, 2013 4:33 AM

Oct 2012
MasterTengkorak said:

Man of Steel might not have been as good as people wanted it to be but it is still better than the Purge - that was such a promising concept, why did they have to go and turn it into a standard home invasion movie - lazy
Jun 29, 2013 12:17 PM

Mar 2012
Just came from cinema and man... what a let down. I was hyping this movie so much and it only took 5 min to get all the shit defeated. The movie felt rushed, flashbacks were something good but the movie itself, most of the cast (especially Zod and Lois) and the dialogs were badly written. There was no emotion, no wit, no power in them.
Superman Returns was bad but better.
On the good side, it has the BEST action scenes to date. The destruction, chaotic scenery and battles, were well made but again they are in the wrong movie.
6.5/10.
huntxJun 29, 2013 2:11 PM
Jun 29, 2013 1:28 PM

Nov 2011
LostOddity said:
MasterTengkorak said:

Man of Steel might not have been as good as people wanted it to be but it is still better than the Purge - that was such a promising concept, why did they have to go and turn it into a standard home invasion movie - lazy

Didn't say The Purge was good. I'll say it's Ok.
Jul 1, 2013 3:27 AM
Jun 2013
It is a great film.
Jul 3, 2013 2:39 AM

Oct 2008
bad film. very disjointed and the film sets no clear tone the whole way through. it's caught between trying to be a grim nolan-dark-knight type film and a generic action film. the special FX action was mostly boring because it felt as though there were no real consequences. nothing had really been built up. people were dying all over the place and then we are shown superman saving one person? and everyone's like "so you are on our side!!!"
Everything looked gorgeous but it was a waste
Jul 3, 2013 6:43 AM
Feb 2013
Personally, I thought Man of Steel was absolutely phenomenal! Before I saw it, the only other Superman film I ever saw was Superman Returns, which I didn't really like when I first saw it in theaters. However, Man of Steel redeemed the previous movie and was incredibly enjoyable to watch. I just don't understand, some kids at my school told me that they found it to be boring and Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 56%. I mean, it certainly has it's flaws, but it still left me pretty satisfied.
No_Longer_ActiveJul 3, 2013 6:49 AM
Jul 3, 2013 7:24 AM

Jan 2009
I've seen it more than a week ago, as a prize for me getting through all the final exams...and...man, I deserved something better. Really.
The only thing memorable is the soundtrack.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - 35 minutes ago

1 by Rhaelynne »»
31 minutes ago

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

26 by 707supremacist »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Game of Thrones vs Attack on Titan

DOSS300 - Mar 26

11 by WatchTillTandava »»
5 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7587 by SilentAssassin88 »»
9 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3387 by SilentAssassin88 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.