Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 23, 2013 9:34 AM

Sep 2012
In manga the official line is Haji's gender is not known. In the anime they made it obvious Haji is a female, but that does not mean that it is thus canon that Haji is female in the manga.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 28, 2013 4:23 AM

Jan 2011
antonn said:
Futa.

why you have to do this futa did not exist before 2000 years you fag
Jul 28, 2013 4:25 AM

Jan 2013
Male_Pregnancy said:
antonn said:
Futa.

why you have to do this futa did not exist before 2000 years you fag

futa fan cannot be a 'fag'.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 28, 2013 4:36 AM

Oct 2012
A Crona.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Aug 27, 2013 6:04 AM
May 2012
JaegerTheMan said:
Is she/he male or female?

Was THAT really necessary to ask? *Duh!*
Aug 27, 2013 8:11 AM

Apr 2012
She's a titan. Titans are genderless.
Aug 27, 2013 9:53 AM

Jul 2011
despaircest said:
neither. hanji zoe doesn't need gender. and they haven't been given one by the creator either so that's nice

genderqueer characters are the bestttttt

also for people who think that "boobs = female", please tell me you know the difference between sex and gender, because if you don't, you really can't comprehend what op is asking lol

Nice! that would be cool if hanji is in fact a transexual who's still in transition, so he/she already have a boobs job, but haven't cut what's under there.
She would be the first transvestite character in shonen series who actually has an important role, please God please make Hanji be a transexual <3
Aug 27, 2013 10:22 AM

Mar 2010
Troll title is troll.

But seriously, Hanji is the typical yaoi fangirl character but she is a titan fangirl.

Easy and simple.
Aug 27, 2013 6:13 PM

Aug 2013
teravixen said:
She's a titan. Titans are genderless.
tempted to report you cause no spoiler. This better not be true
Oct 3, 2013 3:01 AM
Aug 2013
Hanji is female. Idk how to read raws so i base it on english translation in manga.
Levi even referred to hanji as "her and she" around chapter 20 i think of manga. but ofc it depends on how people would like to interpret or see of her XD
Oct 3, 2013 3:06 AM

Dec 2012
nnangle said:
Switches between the two.

It's easier that way.
Oct 3, 2013 5:22 AM

May 2012
Hanji's a shemale.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Oct 3, 2013 6:12 AM
Jul 2013
She's a she alright. Just not a typical female, and I like her for that.
Oct 3, 2013 11:48 PM
Nov 2012
Schrodinger's gender
Oct 4, 2013 12:41 AM

Jul 2013
In Japanese, the "I" pronoun differs between genders.

For example, males usually use "ore" or "boku" to refer to themselves.
i.e. Eren, Levi, Mike, Reiner, Jean use "ore"
Armin, Marco uses "boku"

Females tend to use "watashi" or "atashi"
Hanji uses "watashi"
so I assume she's a girl?

Though, "watashi" is technically gender neutral and guys use it too if they are speaking more formally (I think Erwin uses "watashi," but I'm not sure; Roy in FMA uses "watashi").

Also, there was that omake with Hanji (in a school girl outfit) being saved from a truck by Sawney (basically Hanji's dream theater of her relationship with the titans lol).
[url]http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/k/kajika_eps/20130504/20130504234013.gif[/url]
[url]http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/mstkkt-shingeki/imgs/4/b/4b07005f.jpg[/url]

Plus, I think Isayama purposely gave an ambiguous answer to be a troll, and that shouldn't really be surprising lol.

Pretty sure Hanji is female!
(눈_눈)
Oct 4, 2013 1:30 AM
Jul 2018
yeah
Oct 4, 2013 4:20 AM
Jul 2013
katarin said:
In Japanese, the "I" pronoun differs between genders.

For example, males usually use "ore" or "boku" to refer to themselves.
i.e. Eren, Levi, Mike, Reiner, Jean use "ore"
Armin, Marco uses "boku"

Females tend to use "watashi" or "atashi"
Hanji uses "watashi"
so I assume she's a girl?

Though, "watashi" is technically gender neutral and guys use it too if they are speaking more formally (I think Erwin uses "watashi," but I'm not sure; Roy in FMA uses "watashi").

Also, there was that omake with Hanji (in a school girl outfit) being saved from a truck by Sawney (basically Hanji's dream theater of her relationship with the titans lol).
[url]http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/k/kajika_eps/20130504/20130504234013.gif[/url]
[url]http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/mstkkt-shingeki/imgs/4/b/4b07005f.jpg[/url]

Plus, I think Isayama purposely gave an ambiguous answer to be a troll, and that shouldn't really be surprising lol.

Pretty sure Hanji is female!

He once said that Hanji was female, but the fans kept pestering him about how Hanji sometimes looked like a male in the manga that he got pissed off and let the fans keep guessing.
Oct 5, 2013 8:41 PM

Apr 2012
Lylaaz said:
Troll title is troll.

But seriously, Hanji is the typical yaoi fangirl character but she is a titan fangirl.

Easy and simple.

This, basically.

The first time I saw a thread like this I thought people were just joking because she's always clearly looked like a woman to me (how foolish will I feel if at the end of the manga she removes her pants and says "HA! FOOLED YOU!") but yeah... I don't get this lmao.
puddinglyOct 5, 2013 8:47 PM
Oct 5, 2013 8:45 PM

Jan 2013
Female....
Oct 5, 2013 10:42 PM

Apr 2012
She's Female, plain and simple. Shippers take things too seriously.
Isayama got tired with all the futa and yaoi idiots pressing him for a favorable answer.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Oct 20, 2013 5:31 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Isayama is a big troll... He said once about hoping people thought Armin was a girl w

But really, do you think Isayama would've let them give her breasts in the anime, if there was ANY doubt at all?

No.

He worked very closely with the anime producers to ensure it was the way he wanted it...

Oct 21, 2013 9:34 AM

Feb 2013
In manga Hanji's gender is not known, but in anime Hanji is a female.
And in the manga Nanaba looks like a man, but in anime Nanaba is a female.
Maybe... Hanji is a male?... And adaptation wants to confuse us?
Is my theory possible? I think that's stupid, but...

Kari-chan said:
Isayama is a big troll...

Yep, he is a very very big troll. Like a Steven Moffat, lol.
So we can wait everything from him.

I don't really care about Zoe's gender, but sometimes i think he/she is a transexual.
Oct 21, 2013 8:02 PM

Apr 2012
You guys should trust your first reaction when you first saw the character because a huge number of times it is correct. It is only when we start doubting ourselves and start to let outside influences cloud our judgment.

From my first experience seeing the character my gut quickly classified her as a female. Further watching her solidified my first impression of her: she's just obsessed with all knowledge concerning titans or better yet a titan nerd. Not exactly a cute trait or something considered sexy.

Although the anime has confirmed that she's a female via gender,
Her sexuallity is another matter. Her preference in male or female is still not established.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Oct 21, 2013 8:12 PM

Jun 2013
I don't really care tbh, all I know is she turns me on for some reason, unlike the ugly Mikasa...
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Oct 21, 2013 8:15 PM

Oct 2013
I think Armin is the only trans in SnK
Coño!
Oct 23, 2013 6:34 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Dark-Princess said:
I think Armin is the only trans in SnK

Armin is a confirmed female, d'uh.

Feb 23, 2014 1:55 AM
Jan 2012
Well since he is officially not answering the question (Because i guess, he loves fan wars) i can only say my opinion in his reaction:

I think Isayama acts like a pussy (As in a little scared kitten) He just doesn’t want to piss off fans who take Hanji as the other gender. He didn't say she is transgender, nor a-gender, nor male or female, he said he will leave it “up for interpretation.” And he didn’t say it officially, but to his translator. You know what that means: "I wanna get out of this situation as clean as possible." At first I called troll, now I call coward.
I have no problem with Hanji being ANY of those things, as long as he, the Creator, say so, but he is taking the easy way out and becoming a bitch for his fans, which, given all the respect I have for him, is incredibly disappointing.
Now it's something insignificant as that, and soon he is gonna ship Levi with every other character, because fangirls say so, and before you know it even minor characters are going to have a plot shield because fans like them. I strongly think he didn't plan Hanji to be "up for interpretation" and all that happened because he tired to be a troll, but internet knows no sarcasm, so shit got out of hand.
He has no idea about the problems this will cause him:
I'd love to see him try and translate this manga in, say, my native Bulgarian, without using gender specification words, since the language demands it. It means sacrificing the dialogue’s quality big time. And let’s admit it Aot has become huge enough to go into many non - English and non - Japanese speaking courtiers, which languages demand a gender classification. And IT just won’t do it. Using he and she equally will be, most likely viewed as a mistake… it’s just - what he thinks is impossible. On Bulgarian at least.

Trolling gone wrong...

I really have no problem, if he say Hanji is a Male, Transgender, A-gender, Female, whatever - as long as he takes a strong position on this. (I accepted Haku (naruto) as a boy after all. :D) He is the creator of this story, not the fangrls, and he is the one who should stay behind it!

Until he takes a strong position Hanji is a woman in my eyes and no one can convince me otherwise. In the anime she is clearly female, and for a mangaka, who is involved even in the fillers of the anime and has an obviously well planned story - I don’t see him missing to tell them he planed Hanji to be “up for interpretation.”
Other than that - a smart person in a powerful position - hmmm must be a guy. :/ in my eyes Hanji is the best woman in this manga, alongside with Annie. Calling her a male, because she doesn’t look like some High school of the Dead bimbo is unfair.

That being said if she turns out anything but a woman - it’d still like the character.
I am just angry that Isayama is acting like a pussy (little scared kitten) and can’t take a strong position on that.
But hay - maybe he just loves fan wars THAT much!
Feb 23, 2014 9:43 AM

Jun 2013
Female in the anime but male in manga.
Feb 23, 2014 9:47 AM

Jul 2011
monster_killer said:
Female in the anime but male in manga.

? It's female in the manga
Feb 23, 2014 11:55 PM

Oct 2013
Look at Hanji near the end of the most recent chapter. It's easy to see how people would call Hanji a male. Personally I don't think it matters what gender Hanji is. It's not like it matters either way, imo.

According to the official Kodansha translators (http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/post/73207971230/hello-i-wanted-to-ask-you-guys-a-question-about-attack) Isayama asked them not to use gender pronouns for Hanji (like 'she' or 'he'). And if they have to that they use male/female pronouns with equal frequency.

Just because the anime made Hanji more obviously female, it seems Isayama has a different intention. It is definitely more ambiguous in the manga. In Japanese Hanji is never referred to using female pronouns. In English it's harder to translate without using pronouns so that's why translators used 'she' for Hanji.

Some people think Isayama is trolling because he was asked that question, but now the official translation team has been asked not to refer to Hanji as female people can either just accept that or just keep viewing Hanji how you always have.
starrybeeFeb 23, 2014 11:58 PM
Apr 20, 2014 2:56 PM

Aug 2013
Up to your interpretation. If you think Hanji is male or female you aren't wrong but if you insist on Hanji being female then you are wrong. I personally think of Hanji as a girl ^-^
Apr 20, 2014 5:54 PM

Jun 2012
bloodswordzkill said:
Look at Hanji near the end of the most recent chapter. It's easy to see how people would call Hanji a male. Personally I don't think it matters what gender Hanji is. It's not like it matters either way, imo.

According to the official Kodansha translators (http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/post/73207971230/hello-i-wanted-to-ask-you-guys-a-question-about-attack) Isayama asked them not to use gender pronouns for Hanji (like 'she' or 'he'). And if they have to that they use male/female pronouns with equal frequency.

Just because the anime made Hanji more obviously female, it seems Isayama has a different intention. It is definitely more ambiguous in the manga. In Japanese Hanji is never referred to using female pronouns. In English it's harder to translate without using pronouns so that's why translators used 'she' for Hanji.

Some people think Isayama is trolling because he was asked that question, but now the official translation team has been asked not to refer to Hanji as female people can either just accept that or just keep viewing Hanji how you always have.

^ and the same goes for Nanaba!
NemuriNezumiJul 17, 2014 2:33 AM

- I only draw freestyle! -
Apr 20, 2014 5:55 PM

Jan 2013
Neither. She is a titan.
Jul 16, 2014 4:11 PM
Jan 2012
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
Neither. She is a titan.

That would be an interesting turn of events. :D
Jul 17, 2014 2:38 AM

Jun 2012
AntenorA said:
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
Neither. She is a titan.

That would be an interesting turn of events. :D

if that happens I can totally imagine Hanji experimenting with herself

and she would be a laughing titan or something similar(?) lol
NemuriNezumiJul 17, 2014 2:48 AM

- I only draw freestyle! -
Sep 9, 2014 1:51 PM
Sep 2014
I find it interesting everyone is arguing about this. How some say they have evidence to try and prove it one way when anime and manga has shown us at times we can't trust a character's gender based on looks or even the way they act. I mean there are some that have us believe them to be male or female only to find out their not and it makes a lot of people mad. Heck some could be like Hanji is a female but what happens if you found out Hanji WAS female but identifies as male or neither? What gender would you be labeling Hanji as then?
In all honesty I could care less what gender Hanji is, sometimes I feel Hanji could be one of those that says "today I am a female!" then the next day go "I am a male today!" and on a random day go "I am a hermaphrodite!" Regardless Hanji is awesome regardless of what you think of Hanji to be feminine, masculine, neuter or a mix of both genders. It does leave me frustrated at times but I think its part of what makes Hanji...well Hanji. How else are we suppose to explain it?
Sep 14, 2014 4:42 AM

Aug 2012
From the SnK Wiki

The author, Hajime Isayama, has left Hange's gender open to interpretation as he told his editor that 'either one is fine' and instructed Kodansha USA not to confirm any gender in their translation. Since then, Kodansha has removed gendered pronouns for Hange in their translation, and clarified that indeed, Hange's gender is up to the reader's interpretation. The anime on the other hand, has consistently depicted Hange as female
Jun 9, 2015 7:33 AM
Jun 2015
in chapter 70 of the manga,Levi calls him ''Mr.Hange''
So that should do it
Jun 9, 2015 6:13 PM

Jun 2015
Officially Genderless atm, but I wouldn't be surprised if Isayama made hanji officially female because of the anime.
Jun 9, 2015 10:08 PM

Aug 2012
rextor666 said:
So that should do it
That only appear in the illegal manga websites, while legal sites like Crunchyroll does not have Eren saying that. So it's still unknown really.
Jun 9, 2015 11:43 PM

Oct 2013
rextor666 said:
So that should do it

Bad translation. This hanji gender argument is a complete waste, I can't believe so many people are giving it this much attention.

Isayama is just joking around while you guys are taking the bait, just like he jokingly said armin is a girl and a lot of discussion was about that as well.
Jul 24, 2015 9:54 AM

Mar 2015
She's always been female to me. But then I went to the Internet and I discover that she can somehow shift from being female to male or male to female. Okay then.

I mean, even in some fanfics her pronoun is "zher" because she has no gender. Like wuuuuut
Jan 24, 2016 4:49 PM
Jan 2016
At episode 19 of the anime around 17-18 minutes one character says the lines "What SHE means is" so that should finalize the debate on weather she is a girl or a boy. But honestly either way she's such an amazing character that it wouldn't matter
Feb 14, 2016 11:42 PM

Feb 2015
I'll help you out bro, I actually wrote detailed report on Isayama (creator of AoT) so I know all!.... at least more than most... so Hanji Zoe actually wasn't called Zoe until the anime released, and in the manga no one ever mentioned Hanji as he or she, Isayama stated in 2014 that Hanji's gender is a secret but in volume 12ish Hanji is seen in female clothing, also Isayama had to tell the producers the gender so they could create AoT... Thus Hanji Zoe was born! ITS A GIRL!... because lets be honest Hanji would probably be a pretty ugly dude
Jul 24, 2016 9:27 AM
Jun 2016
AntenorA said:
Well since he is officially not answering the question (Because i guess, he loves fan wars) i can only say my opinion in his reaction:

I think Isayama acts like a pussy (As in a little scared kitten) He just doesn’t want to piss off fans who take Hanji as the other gender. He didn't say she is transgender, nor a-gender, nor male or female, he said he will leave it “up for interpretation.” And he didn’t say it officially, but to his translator. You know what that means: "I wanna get out of this situation as clean as possible." At first I called troll, now I call coward.
I have no problem with Hanji being ANY of those things, as long as he, the Creator, say so, but he is taking the easy way out and becoming a bitch for his fans, which, given all the respect I have for him, is incredibly disappointing.
Now it's something insignificant as that, and soon he is gonna ship Levi with every other character, because fangirls say so, and before you know it even minor characters are going to have a plot shield because fans like them. I strongly think he didn't plan Hanji to be "up for interpretation" and all that happened because he tired to be a troll, but internet knows no sarcasm, so shit got out of hand.
He has no idea about the problems this will cause him:
I'd love to see him try and translate this manga in, say, my native Bulgarian, without using gender specification words, since the language demands it. It means sacrificing the dialogue’s quality big time. And let’s admit it Aot has become huge enough to go into many non - English and non - Japanese speaking courtiers, which languages demand a gender classification. And IT just won’t do it. Using he and she equally will be, most likely viewed as a mistake… it’s just - what he thinks is impossible. On Bulgarian at least.

Trolling gone wrong...

I really have no problem, if he say Hanji is a Male, Transgender, A-gender, Female, whatever - as long as he takes a strong position on this. (I accepted Haku (naruto) as a boy after all. :D) He is the creator of this story, not the fangrls, and he is the one who should stay behind it!

Until he takes a strong position Hanji is a woman in my eyes and no one can convince me otherwise. In the anime she is clearly female, and for a mangaka, who is involved even in the fillers of the anime and has an obviously well planned story - I don’t see him missing to tell them he planed Hanji to be “up for interpretation.”
Other than that - a smart person in a powerful position - hmmm must be a guy. :/ in my eyes Hanji is the best woman in this manga, alongside with Annie. Calling her a male, because she doesn’t look like some High school of the Dead bimbo is unfair.

That being said if she turns out anything but a woman - it’d still like the character.
I am just angry that Isayama is acting like a pussy (little scared kitten) and can’t take a strong position on that.
But hay - maybe he just loves fan wars THAT much!
Of coarse, by the creator saying "up to interperetation" to the showmakers, the phrase "up to interperetation" could have been "up to interperetation" as well, so the showmakers interperated Hange as female and the creator went along with it. I'm wondering whether or not Atsushi told the Soul Eater showmakers something similar when handling Crona.
Jul 30, 2016 3:50 PM
Mar 2016
In the manga, the creator *forgot his name* doesn't have a gender for Hanji and idk if he ever will, Hanji's pretty cool without a set gender. In the anime, Hanji is female.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.