Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 25, 2013 1:12 AM
Sep 2012
Anime and manga doesnt exactly say how many people there is but they say that about 250000 humans,or 20% of population has died.
May 25, 2013 6:48 AM

Jun 2011
Omg mathematical calculations... 0_o Um... judging from how it looks, it should be big enough with some cities, villages, forests and farming fields inside. But it's only a minor part of the entire world. The outside world is much bigger after all, with oceans, icebergs, mountais and deserts etc. So only a small part actually belong to humans.
May 25, 2013 7:25 AM

Mar 2010
CroKiraDeathNote said:
Anime and manga doesnt exactly say how many people there is but they say that about 250000 humans,or 20% of population has died.

Even more reason not make such assumptions until something more concrete and official is stated. Speculation is fine as long as it's not taken as fact.
May 25, 2013 7:26 AM

May 2013
STOP NITPICKING. IF YOU WANT TO NITPICK GO COMPLAIN ABOUT MIKASA'S LIPS/ABS.
May 25, 2013 10:53 AM

Dec 2012
Leapling said:
STOP NITPICKING. IF YOU WANT TO NITPICK GO COMPLAIN ABOUT MIKASA'S LIPS/ABS.
But if you complain about either then I will gut you.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 25, 2013 11:04 AM

Dec 2009
People sure do love to find something about Shingeki to nitpick on.
May 25, 2013 11:16 AM
Oct 2012
Newhopes said:
Failed to notice the big river running straight though the town?

Rivers aren't all the same. Some can carry a lot of sediment, others don't. In that the center of the city is higher than the edges, then the water would carry the sediment out of the city, not into the city. This is why delta regions are generally more productive than headwaters. Also the rivers look like they have been "hardened" with concrete into channels (which is what I thought they were, however knowing the scale now I can see that they are supposed to be rivers). That would eliminate nearly all the sentiment.

That actually is a problem they are having in Japan right now, in the name of "erosion control" they have basically enclosed most of the rivers in Japan.

Still, it's not like I really care about the dynamics here. I just wanted to point out that Egypt was actually far more fertile than France or Great Britain, opposite of what someone wrote here.
May 25, 2013 11:40 AM

May 2012
Bleachway said:
People sure do love to find something about Shingeki to nitpick on.

I know huh? :l
May 25, 2013 11:42 AM

Dec 2012

I believe the point of the sketches is to generally give a better idea of the world SnK takes place - a sufficient, but not abnormally large corner in an unknown world, where losing one of the Walls to the titans is worse than plagues, low technology, and poverty/hunger taken together. It can happen really fast and it's almost impossible to predict the attacks.

One of the things that seems to be rare is salt, which is the only thing I'd consider essential for normal human physiology and well-being, but they somehow managed with what they had for 100 years of "peace".
May 25, 2013 5:04 PM
Dec 2010
Jagd84 said:
Fasces349 said:
I don't see this as unrealistically large.

The area of the total country is 723, 823km2, which is only slightly larger then the size of France. We could get into how the wall was built, but that will be covered in a later episode, assuming this show follows the manga.

My biggest problem isn't the land area, but how small the population is. With a population of 1.2 million and 17th century tech (if you ignore spider gear), means that one in every three adults is a farmer by necessity.

You can't have the industry to make your cannons, swords and spider gear as well as have the innovations they have had with only ~200,000 non-adult farmers in the country.

I'd much rather if the population was between 15 and 25 million, rather then the 1.2 million in the anime.

Where did you get those numbers from? The Anime never specified the totally population as far as I know.

BTW: there are rivers, you can see one in both Shiganshima and Trost Districts for example.

They mentioned in episode 2 that the human population was 1.25 million.
May 25, 2013 5:53 PM

Feb 2013
Is the anime based in our world? I always assumed it was based off a made up world with elements of ours.
~ El Psy Congroo~

May 25, 2013 5:55 PM

Apr 2008
Krissirk said:
Is the anime based in our world? I always assumed it was based off a made up world with elements of ours.

It's possible. I could certainly see it taking place in germany or the netherlands.
May 25, 2013 6:24 PM
Dec 2010
I think its based in the balkans, Netherlands is too small
May 25, 2013 6:34 PM

Apr 2013
zellami said:
One of the things that seems to be rare is salt, which is the only thing I'd consider essential for normal human physiology and well-being, but they somehow managed with what they had for 100 years of "peace".
Where do you suppose they get their salt? From hickory trees? Do they only have freshwater inside the walls?
May 25, 2013 7:25 PM

Apr 2010
voll said:
Where do you suppose they get their salt? From hickory trees? Do they only have freshwater inside the walls?

Yes to the last question. When Armin tells Eren about the outside world from the book, Eren doesn't believe him that salt water exist.
May 25, 2013 7:26 PM

Dec 2012
^ Seems so, because Armin had to explain to Eren what "sea" is (according to the book he found about the outside world) with so much salt in it that it cannot be depleted by the traders.
I see at least one big lake on the sketch above, so I assume they use rock salt from evaporating lakes (more or less saline because of the minerals), wells, or, idk, digging it. By far, it looks like a precious trade.

Ninja'd.
zellamiMay 25, 2013 7:33 PM
May 26, 2013 3:21 AM

Mar 2013
voll said:
zellami said:

Salt shouldn't really be that hard to find, the easiest way is evaporating sea water in pens and scaping the salt left over, however rock salt is fairly common anywhere in the world where land has been under the sea at some point, it'll probably needs mining so it'd pretty labor intensive.

May 26, 2013 3:23 AM

Apr 2008
Newhopes said:
voll said:
zellami said:

Salt shouldn't really be that hard to find, the easiest way is evaporating sea water in pens and scaping the salt left over, however rock salt is fairly common anywhere in the world where land has been under the sea at some point, it'll probably needs mining so it'd pretty labor intensive.

There's no sea within or near the wall. So rock salt is most likely
May 29, 2013 9:55 AM

Oct 2011
lalami02 said:
And what exactly makes you think that the anime is set in Japan?

its probably in European country or something coz if you look close enough you will notice that most of the people in the anime have blonde or light hair color, which is not an asian trait :|

Thats quite obvious because of the names the characters have.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.