Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime are much more popular in Japan?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 29, 2013 9:34 AM

Nov 2010
Yuno_Love said:
IntroverTurtle said:
You have tv ratings, awards, dvd sales, movie sales, video games, and probably a couple of other things that help you determine popularity. And people who do the moe trolling do that in every thread, they don't need a special one.

One, that's an immense amount of information to collect and analyze.

Two, how truly reflective of popularity are any of those things? How do we define popularity--by fan numbers or casual watchers? Awards really don't mean much (independent film awards represent niche bases). Though TV ratings would work, but how is that data collected and how accurate is it? Especially when considering niche interests, merch/BR/DVD sales might speak more than TV ratings, but it might also represent a very passionate minority.

Three, where can we find comparable statistics outside of Japan? This is the biggest problem. As far as I know, there's little data on western fans.

Again, it's a silly premise because we have no data to work with and it's hardly objective. Don't let that stop you; I get the point of the thread. I just wanted to point out that everything stated therein is groundless. Also, just because moe trolling happens in a lot of threads does not mean we should facilitate that.
One, well no one is planning on collecting all of it and analyzing it. This thread was made by someone who was curious which anime are more popular in Japan. Not trying to figure out exactly which anime are the most popular.

Two, well some of them are pretty reflective, tv ratings and dvd sales mostly. Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. Yes awards don't mean much, I just mentioned them as they can be something to help say that an anime is popular. I don't pay attention to that, though this site is said to be very reliable for tv ratings. There are a couple of others, that I can't find the links for right now. I don't think dvd sales would speak more, all of the top rated shows in Japan have long amounts of episodes and people wouldn't buy all of them. Sazea san alone has over 6900 episodes. Yes dvd sales would work for those smaller shows and even that like you said might only represent a minority.

Three, I don't think you need those. This thread is about which anime are popular in Japan, not which anime are popular out of Japan or internationally.

There's tons of data to work with, though you probably can't find all the info of the things I noted. There's tv ratings from multiple sources, dvd and blu ray sales by each volume, which awards it has won could probably be found in the forum somewhere, movie and video game sales could be found on another site.
Then you're missing what I'm saying, we shouldn't be afraid to make a certain thread just because people are going to feel compelled to post a whole bunch of moe pictures and say this is what's wrong with Japan.
Apr 29, 2013 10:11 AM

Jun 2009
Lucumo said:
AirStyles said:
Lucumo said:
Paul said:
Lucumo said:
AirStyles said:
NeoAnkara said:
AirStyles said:
MajinSaga said:
AirStyles said:
Tommk said:
Holybaptiser said:
insan3soldiern said:
Majin reminds me an awful lot of Kuraiiya (probably spelled that wrong).... just saying.
Really? I swear he is Not_Biased 2.0.
]

Second

Those kind of people show up every once in a while.

Judging from prior examples of this guy, it's evident that there's no use trying to reason with them, I don't even try to respond properly to them anymore.

They'll usually just make more and more threads about "moe is killing the industry", "Why is older anime better" or in some cases "Anime fans are stupid."

Funny thing is that a lot of them don't even watch the supposed "moe-shit" before passing judgment.

You don't need to eat shit to know it tastes bad.

And I have had the misfortune of watching such trash.

Name them.

btw, is this trash?

Come on, tell me how you don't have to watch them to know what they are.
Tell me you can judge it by it's cover.

Go ahead, tell me.

Only picture one looks like moe-shit. Picture 2, 3 and 5 definitely not. The fourth, not sure. It seems too innocent, more like Chobits.

Ranking them from lightest to darkest.

2 / 4

You should probably not judge images by their cover.

edit: Man you guys fucked up the quote chain.

What has the tone to do with it looking like moe-shit?

What's wrong with looking like moe-shit?

Some people may don't like it?

"Some" huh...

How about "Most" that like it?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2013 10:20 AM

Dec 2012
AirStyles said:

Why do you insist in making this huge quote tower ? grrrr...
Apr 29, 2013 11:37 AM
Feb 2012
Anime that gets criticized out west as "moeshit," that's the answer.

Moreover, liking anime that's more popular in Japan is a bad thing, oh no!
Apr 29, 2013 2:08 PM

Mar 2013
this may be hard to believe but one piece is actually far more popular in japan than it is in north america. for example 1 in 8 people in japan buy the manga. that is just insane
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Apr 29, 2013 4:51 PM

Apr 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
One, well no one is planning on collecting all of it and analyzing it. This thread was made by someone who was curious which anime are more popular in Japan. Not trying to figure out exactly which anime are the most popular.

Two, well some of them are pretty reflective, tv ratings and dvd sales mostly. Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. Yes awards don't mean much, I just mentioned them as they can be something to help say that an anime is popular. I don't pay attention to that, though this site is said to be very reliable for tv ratings. There are a couple of others, that I can't find the links for right now. I don't think dvd sales would speak more, all of the top rated shows in Japan have long amounts of episodes and people wouldn't buy all of them. Sazea san alone has over 6900 episodes. Yes dvd sales would work for those smaller shows and even that like you said might only represent a minority.

Three, I don't think you need those. This thread is about which anime are popular in Japan, not which anime are popular out of Japan or internationally.

There's tons of data to work with, though you probably can't find all the info of the things I noted. There's tv ratings from multiple sources, dvd and blu ray sales by each volume, which awards it has won could probably be found in the forum somewhere, movie and video game sales could be found on another site.
Then you're missing what I'm saying, we shouldn't be afraid to make a certain thread just because people are going to feel compelled to post a whole bunch of moe pictures and say this is what's wrong with Japan.

TV ratings probably are the best bet. I forgot that the most popular shows are the ones that pretty much air indefinitely.

When talking about popularity it has to be relative to something, presumably western fandom in this case. My point was that beyond the obvious ones, we don't really have enough information to judge what's more popular. I figured the "fun" aspect of discussion was about which shows we are familiar with that are/are not as popular in Japan. A silly little discussion, I get that; I even put in my two cents. I'm not sure what we're even talking about now. My original comment was not to be taken this seriously.

And I get what you mean regarding the trolling (I was a little confused by your last post), but still, I would try to avoid it if possible. I mean, really, it went to shit from the get-go.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

21 by luckyrune »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

31 by 707supremacist »»
2 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

52 by SuperAdventure »»
3 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 11 hours ago

15 by Longnines »»
4 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

69 by Longnines »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.