Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 13, 2013 5:07 PM

Jan 2013
So Sentai Filmworks licensed the Detroit Metal City series back in July of 2012, and when they finally released it, it had no english dub?

Now, not getting into a whole Dubs Vs. Subs debate here, why do you think they did that? I, for one, love the performace of the original Japanese voice cast, sure, but it was sheer morbid curiousity how an english dub of such a series would sound.

Now granted, Sentai Filmworks is known for releasing other series with no dubs, just subbed, but I would imagine working on a show like this (dubbing it) would've been a golden opportunity since I doubt there's any other anime series quite like this one (at least none about metal music genre)

As fellow DMC fans, what's your take on this? Do you think they couldn't find the right voices for this and decided to just release it without one? Do you think they didn't have confidence (or the budget) to dub such a series? Who do you think would've been good casting choices for the dub? Do you think it can will well without a dub? Or do you think they are only releasing it subbed just to see if it does sell before they go ahead with producing a dub of it?

Feb 13, 2013 5:10 PM

Mar 2012
Unlike Funimation, Sentai only dubs the most accessible releases.
That is to say, only the shows that they feel have the widest audience.
I wouldn't consider DMC to be one of these shows.

I don't have a comment as to whether or not they could pull it off.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Feb 13, 2013 5:10 PM

Jun 2007
Due to the modern economy and the general low sales of anime in the west, most shows aren't dubbed anymore unless they are - for sure - going to sell a good number of copies. DMC is far from popular, so they didn't waste the massive amounts of cash it takes to do a dubbing project.

It's basic numbers, it's got nothing to do with not finding the right cast or anything else. It has a small following, even if every fan of the show bought it and a few outliers, it still would probably not sell enough to recoup the costs of dubbing alone, let alone distribution, rights, translating and subbing it in the first place, and so on.

Hell, even Clannad - which was always massively popular, was originally released sub-only.

Plus, sentai typically doesn't dub their releases, unlike their ADV days (because of the reasons above).
Dec 22, 2014 6:47 PM

Sep 2013

More topics from this board

Poll: » Detroit Metal City Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Oct 27, 2008

58 by Karva1 »»
Feb 7, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Detroit Metal City Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kashim - Oct 17, 2008

76 by Karva1 »»
Feb 7, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Detroit Metal City Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Oct 5, 2008

103 by Karva1 »»
Feb 7, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Detroit Metal City Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sephor - Sep 19, 2008

107 by Karva1 »»
Feb 7, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Detroit Metal City Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Aug 27, 2008

92 by Karva1 »»
Feb 6, 1:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.