Forum Settings
Forums

[CLOSED] Anime Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend [CLOSED]

New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (73) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 26, 2013 1:52 AM

Apr 2012
We should also add a manga/LN/Manhua/manwha enlightenment list.
Jan 26, 2013 2:17 AM
Jul 2018
I agree.
Jan 26, 2013 7:05 AM

Jan 2013
I've back-counted the suggestions, and, discounting the trolling ones and one that was delivered with qualifiers, are as follows:
Giant Robo 1
Grave of the fireflies 1
Hadashi no Gen (aka Barefoot Gen) 1
Katanagatari 2
Paranoia Agent (Mousou Dairinin) 1
Texhnolyze 2

Uchuu Kyoudai, and the concept of doing moe right sound very interesting, but since it's still airing it can still take a turn for worse, so I won't add it yet.

As for a manga enlightenment list: while I don't disagree, I'd rather if someone else could take care of it; for the last two years or so I've read very little manga, so I don't feel competent enough to be responsible for it.
MaegilJan 27, 2013 6:20 AM
My favorite genres: good Quality, better Quality, best Quality, Über-Quality.
Scoring criteria: Existence does not precede Essence.

Current status: OFFLINE. Even if not really.
I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Jan 26, 2013 7:22 AM

Aug 2009
Maegil said:

Uchuu Kyoudai, and the concept of doing moe right sound very interesting, but since it's still airing it can still take a turn for worse, so I won't add it yet.

Uchuu Kyoudai has got much more to offer than "moe done right". Yeah, sure, it can be moe at some moments (not to often) and I like those moments too (although I usually hate moe), but the real appeal of the show is the fact it's a realistic slice of life and an inspiring story that, for a change, involves adults. And it's got an excellent cast of characters.

As for adding it, yes, I'm definitely for that, but it wouldn't be bad to wait till it's finished, as Maegil said.
metamorphiusJan 26, 2013 7:29 AM
Jan 26, 2013 7:36 AM

Aug 2009
I'd be alright with waiting until it finishes airing. Wonder when it actually ends. Part of me kinda doesn't want it to though (or want it to keep going a little longer).
dietmangoJan 26, 2013 7:59 AM
Jan 26, 2013 7:45 AM

Aug 2009
dietmango said:
Wonder when actually end. Part of me kinda doesn't want it to though (or want it to keep going a little longer)

I'm wondering that as well. So far they've adapted 8 volumes of the manga and are currently on volume 9. Since the manga is still ongoing and is already on volume 19, the anime can still last for a considerable period of time.
The only thing I'm wary of is a potential premature end with an anime original ending. Hopefully, that won't happen and they'll keep following the manga for as long as there's material to adapt. So far, the anime's been a very faithful adaptation.
Jan 26, 2013 7:59 AM

Aug 2009
metamorphius said:
dietmango said:
Wonder when it actually ends. Part of me kinda doesn't want it to though (or want it to keep going a little longer)

I'm wondering that as well. So far they've adapted 8 volumes of the manga and are currently on volume 9. Since the manga is still ongoing and is already on volume 19, the anime can still last for a considerable period of time.
The only thing I'm wary of is a potential premature end with an anime original ending. Hopefully, that won't happen and they'll keep following the manga for as long as there's material to adapt. So far, the anime's been a very faithful adaptation.

Ah, cool. And it has been faithful (from some manga chapters I've read for comparison's sake), and really hoping it stays that way. I wonder how popular it is in some regions though. I could be wrong, but the anime wouldn't last this long if it didn't have some kind of following.
Jan 26, 2013 8:11 AM

Aug 2009
dietmango said:
I wonder how popular it is in some regions though.

I don't know about the anime, but the manga is quite popular in Japan and it sells well. If I remember correctly, it ranked high (top 5) in top-selling manga in 2012.
Also, the fact that the manga got a live action adaptation last year is another proof it's doing well, because, unlike with anime, live action movies are (as you would expect) more popular and appeal to a wider audience.
metamorphiusJan 26, 2013 8:14 AM
Jan 26, 2013 8:37 AM

Aug 2009
Well awesome then! I was starting to think anime like this wasn't relevant and the obvious ones are getting all the attention. Gets my hopes up a bit.
Jan 26, 2013 3:58 PM
Jul 2018
Maegil said:

As for a manga enlightenment list: while I don't disagree, I'd rather if someone else could take care of it; for the last two years or so I've read very little manga, so I don't feel competent enough to be responsible for it.

I've been a manga-reader for some-time now and I think I can create a small manga enlightenment list:

Battle Angel Alita
Oyasumi Punpun
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Onani Master Kurosawa
AKIRA
Devilman
Solanin
Hiroki Endo's Tanpenshu
Nijigahara Holograph
Believers
Witches
BLAME!
The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer
Jan 26, 2013 4:39 PM

Jan 2013
These are a few that come to mind, but I've kind of stopped collecting manga
ever since my HD suffered a catastrophe. Certainly there are more, but I haven't even tried to rate any manga here on MAL because it's been simply too long, and I'm afraid of mis-rating.

20th-21st Century Boys
Vagabond
Discommunication Seireihen
Futari Ecchi
Lone Wolf and Cub
Samurai Executioner
Change 123
Koi Kaze
Paralell
Planetes
Samurai Champloo
Termae Romae
Tista
Mx0
Hotel
Outlanders
Magic Knight Rayearth
xxxHOLIC
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
Card Captor Sakura
Eden: It's an Endless World!
MaegilJan 26, 2013 5:10 PM

I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Jan 26, 2013 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE was a great and fun shonen manga for the first 15 volumes. For the next ten volumes, it became a trainwreck.

I don't really support it all that much. Anyone in favor of getting rid of that one and replacing it with X/1999? (Sad however that that manga never got finished.)
Jan 26, 2013 5:08 PM

Jan 2013
Actually I had put Tsubasa, xxxHOLIC and CC Sakura together in a single folder called CLAMP multiverse omnibus, or something to that effect. Of the three, the only one that can hold as a standalone is CCS.
MaegilJan 26, 2013 5:22 PM

Jan 26, 2013 10:24 PM

Nov 2011
Neane1993 said:
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE was a great and fun shonen manga for the first 15 volumes. For the next ten volumes, it became a trainwreck.

I don't really support it all that much. Anyone in favor of getting rid of that one and replacing it with X/1999? (Sad however that that manga never got finished.)

I think I love you.

X/1999 is my favorite manga. Ever. Eveeeeerrrrrr.

I'm all for putting it in the relations. It really is a masterpiece, although incomplete. I have been waiting nearly 10 years for the next volume. D=

And Maegil, for the record, X/1999 is an entirely different series from xxxHolic. It blows all of their other works out of the water both in art and story.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with Koi Kaze being on there. I have a serious problem with romantacised pedophilia AND incest- Even if it's well done, I'm not sure I'd say it belongs on a list such as this as it's still pandering to fantasies. My boyfriend and I had a discussion about this today- When you present a couple like this and romantacise it, it normalizes it and makes it seem more acceptable. It doesn't matter if you present 'obstacles' in the story, that only adds to the romantic appeal of it.

@ Neane again- Fun fact: Tsubasa is at some point actually a deconstruction of Card Captor Sakura- Rather, of what is a very very popular anime couple (Sakura and Saoyran). I do agree though that it made no flipping sense anyway. I've noticed CLAMP isn't very good at ending things- They have great idea, and then at some point it's like "Uhhhh........ UHHHHHHHH... Now what?"

EXAMPLE: Go read WISH. Do it.
They can't write endings.
Jan 26, 2013 11:38 PM
Jul 2018
Well, Koi Kaze is one of my favorite romance anime/manga due to the fact that it performs the amazing feat of turning the taboo around and making it actually enhance the credibility of the romance.

And another good mangaka that can't write good endings is Naoki Urasawa.
His best work is Monster and the ending is somewhat flat IMO.

20th-21st Century Boys are somewhat good, but hella overrated.

Eden: It's an Endless World! is a masterpiece, a somewhat contrived masterpiece. But still a masterpiece.

Also, I've been recently reading this manga called SOIL.

IMO, it's better than anything that Naoki Urasawa could hope of writing.

Anyway, here is the proposed manga list at this point in time:

20th-21st Century Boys (Somewhat Good but hella overrated)
Buddha
Berserk
Vagabond
Lone Wolf and Cub
Bokurano
Planetes
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Battle Angel Alita
SOIL
Sanctuary
All JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Oyasumi Punpun
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Onani Master Kurosawa
AKIRA
Devilman
Solanin
Hiroki Endo's Tanpenshu
Nijigahara Holograph
Believers
Witches
BLAME!
Homunculus
The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer
Hotel
X/1999
Eden: It's an Endless World!

Tista, Samurai Executioner, all CLAMP manga other than X, Samurai Champloo, Termae Romae, Futari Ecchi, Change 123, Outlanders, Koi Kaze, Paralell are out.
(These can be voted back in if people vote for them to be in.)

I have yet to read Discommunication Seireihen and Mx0, so they may be put in if people vote for them but they will stay out until then.

Any more and comments?

removed-userJan 27, 2013 12:45 AM
Jan 27, 2013 1:28 AM

Apr 2012
Mx0 was definitely entertaining but I don't think it should be added to the list because of how much bullshit it pulled after the tournament thing. There's also the hilariously rushed ending.

Should Historie be added to the list?
BloodRequiemJan 27, 2013 1:32 AM
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 27, 2013 2:40 AM

Jan 2013
Judging from Gonzo's "anime retelling", Thermae Romae is quirkily funny but with ridiculous production values and a lot of pop culture allusions - and that's it.
The manga, however is another matter entirely - it has good art, it's well researched, and it treats its subject seriously. Just so that you know, Thermae Romae won the third Manga Taishō and the Short Story Award at the 14th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize, and I should press again for its inclusion.

Discommunication - Spirit World, while looking and felling childish, is a mindfuck manga with mindfuck('d?) visuals. Whether it is Enlightening or not, that's too subjective: I liked it, but you might get motion sickness (yes, I'm talking about the manga) with the first page alone, vomit, and try to wipe it up with the computer screen.

I had included Outlanders because it has representative value: archetypal characters in an archetypal plot, with an archetypal outcome - but all very well handled (IMO). Again, forget the anime.

@Amberleh: While I won't press for Koi Kaze, there's something that's begging to be asked: what you wrote above is the outcome of the discussion or your arguments alone? In the latter case, what was the veredict?

@Neane1993: I think it might be better to open a new thread for the enlightening manga, to both distinguish the manga and anime versions (which can be extremely different) and facilitate counting the suggestions.
MaegilJan 27, 2013 6:03 AM

Jan 27, 2013 3:35 AM

Apr 2012
Maegil said:
I think it might be better to open a new thread for the enlightening manga, to both distinguish the manga and anime versions (which can be extremely different) and facilitate counting the suggestions.

I agree, it might get a bit congested if we recommend and discuss both anime and manga in this one thread. Spreading them out seems like the wiser choice.

It's time I read some of the stuff that's suggested here.
Jan 29, 2013 6:34 AM

Jan 2013
Back on topic.

Kuragehime - I'm thinking of suggesting this title, but I can't decide to which list... While at the same time it seems to be a good deconstruction of the otaku-themed anime, I'm having some trouble with it (the least of which is whether it is moe or not). The sound is mediocre, as is the art; the animation is second-rate, and possibly the most interesting character (or the most scene-stealing one) is a transvestite... all this, with a final score of 8.35.
I might as well poll for it.

Doggy poo - I noticed this one on the latest recommendations section of the user panel. Has anyone seen it?
MaegilJan 29, 2013 7:36 AM

Jan 29, 2013 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
I actually just saw Doggy poo because of that recommendation.

For a movie about a piece of Doggy poo, it was rather cute and sad.
Jan 29, 2013 11:00 AM

Nov 2011
Maegil said:
Back on topic.

Kuragehime - I'm thinking of suggesting this title, but I can't decide to which list... While at the same time it seems to be a good deconstruction of the otaku-themed anime, I'm having some trouble with it (the least of which is whether it is moe or not). The sound is mediocre, as is the art; the animation is second-rate, and possibly the most interesting character (or the most scene-stealing one) is a transvestite... all this, with a final score of 8.35.
I might as well poll for it.

Doggy poo - I noticed this one on the latest recommendations section of the user panel. Has anyone seen it?

Kuragehime is fantastic, what are you talking about? It's really fun and sweet. It's also not a deconstruction - I think you need to look up what that trope means.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Deconstruction

It's just a more realistic dipiction of actual otakus and providing you a look at NON-ANIME otaku because otaku is NOT a term specifically unique to anime. Otaku refers to anyone who is so obsessed with something that it consumes them and they generally have poor hygene and rarely leave their house. Americans and Europeans have decided that Otaku is a positive or even neutral term, and it's NOT. It's a VERY NEGATIVE term. Kuragehime is showing you what real otaku are like, and as an added bonus, it's showing you female otaku because we see plenty of male otaku in anime.

I would definitely say it belongs on the enlightenment list.
Jan 29, 2013 11:06 AM

Aug 2009
Putting aside my personal enjoyment of Kuragehime (it was my favourite anime of its season), I would still agree with Amberleh that it in no way belongs to the relations list.

If I should pinpoint my main gripe with the series it would be its rushed ending which left something to be desired (that's why I picked up the manga). Other than that, I found the anime to be thoroughly enjoyable mostly due to a strong cast of quirky and flawed, but likable characters.
Jan 29, 2013 11:37 AM

Jan 2013
I was misunderstood: by otaku-themed anime, I mean stuff like Genshiken, OreImo and The World God Only Knows, which romanticize the otakus. Kugarehime is the opposite, it shows them as they are, thus I called it a genre deconstruction.
My doubt isn't about the content, but the possibility of its production values being too low to deserve being called Enlightening, and still having huge popularity - thus being a candidate for the Relations list.

I am not, however, disagreeing with you, and shall count it as having two undisputed indications (having qualified my own, it only counts for formative purposes).

@Neane1993: are you indicating Doggie poo, or not?

Jan 30, 2013 10:12 AM
Jul 2018
I am not supporting the idea that Doggy poo should be included.

Also I really need to watch Kugarehime sometime in the near future.
Jan 30, 2013 10:15 AM

Jul 2012
Here is where I meant to post it as a must see show. While a stretch to call it anime, I nominate "There She Is!!" as a must see show.
Jan 30, 2013 10:41 AM

Jul 2008
Akira !
Akira ??
Akira O_O
why Akira in these list any way

it not great , good but not great i will not call it one of the best
it have one of the best hand animation ever but the story is crap
the character is big joke
the ending is week
what great about akira if you ignor the animation ?

i must look more in these shity list
>_> reading

Gunslinger Girl <_< lolicons

Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World O_O i like you list now <<best anime ever

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion never mind

the list is great except
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
Akira
Jan 30, 2013 10:42 AM
Jul 2018
almozayaf said:

...really?
Jan 30, 2013 11:00 AM

Jan 2013
almozayaf said:
i must look more in these shity list
You either didn't actually watch Gunslinger Girl, or more likely, you have no idea of what lolicon means.

Strike Witches, for instance, is lolicon pandering crap - it only aims to show off little girls' rear ends and sexually arouse potential child molesters.
Gunslinger Girl, on the other hand, is a tragedy on child soldiers, and have no sexual content whatsoever.

Having said that, I'll urge you to review your own shitty standards before trying to make any kind of criticism on others.

Jan 30, 2013 11:07 AM

Aug 2009
almozayaf said:
Akira !
Akira ??
Akira O_O

Oh, I don't know, perhaps because it's THE anime that challenged western perception of anime. Perhaps because of its astounding animation which marked a milestone in the history of animation and whose fluidity was achieved with the use of more than 160 000 cels. Perhaps because it's a poignant commentary on Japan. Perhaps because of its influence on tons of anime titles that came after it. And perhaps, just perhaps, because all that makes it's a true classic.

Now, personally, I am not an Akira fan (although I really liked it), but I consider its inclusion in the list more than justified.
Jan 30, 2013 11:13 AM

Oct 2011
almozayaf said:
Akira !
Akira ??
Akira O_O

Well, son, you see..

metamorphius said:

Oh, I don't know, perhaps because it's THE anime that challenged western perception of anime. Perhaps because of its astounding animation which marked a milestone in the history of animation and whose fluidity was achieved with the use of more than 160 000 cels. Perhaps because it's a poignant commentary on Japan. Perhaps because of its influence on tons of anime titles that came after it. And perhaps, just perhaps, because all that makes it's a true classic.

Now, personally, I am not an Akira fan (although I really liked it), but I consider its inclusion in the list more than justified.

I was beaten to the punch in every way. Well said.
Jan 30, 2013 11:20 AM

Jul 2012
Is no one going to comment on There She Is as a suggestion to being added as a must see show on this list?
Jan 30, 2013 12:00 PM

Oct 2011
@Battlechili1

I just went ahead and watched it, since it was so short. I would normally say no, but somehow Chobits was accepted to this list, so I don't see any reason for this not to be accepted to the list. It's a much better love story of similar themes than Chobits, and it does it in 1/24th the time.
Jan 30, 2013 12:06 PM

Jan 2013
I don't really agree with the inclusion of flash animation on the Enlightenment list, as it's not really animation and the production standards are (usually, I haven't watched this one) far too low; if you insist on the comparison, I'd rather remove Chobits from the list instead... But that's not for me to decide alone. More opinions, please?

NOTE: I've edited the first post in this topic, please take a look and comment on it.
MaegilJan 30, 2013 12:10 PM

Jan 30, 2013 12:32 PM

Oct 2011
I personally don't think either one should be on the list, but There She Is was a much more direct approach to the themes of forbidden love and overcoming road blocks in society's view than the Chobits anime. The Chobits anime is riddled with fillers, situational ecchi, and a complete lack of psychological themes that were present and predominant in the manga. I liked the Chobits anime as a decent comedy, but not as a work of art needed to enlighten the moe-zombies of the anime community as a whole.
Jan 30, 2013 1:18 PM

Nov 2011
lordzeru said:
I personally don't think either one should be on the list, but There She Is was a much more direct approach to the themes of forbidden love and overcoming road blocks in society's view than the Chobits anime. The Chobits anime is riddled with fillers, situational ecchi, and a complete lack of psychological themes that were present and predominant in the manga. I liked the Chobits anime as a decent comedy, but not as a work of art needed to enlighten the moe-zombies of the anime community as a whole.

I agree- I've been meaning to say for some time now that I think Chobits should be removed. It COULD have been good, but CLAMP was trying way to hard to make it into the seinen demographic when they should just stick to what they're good at- Shoujo. If it had just been a typical CLAMP shoujo I think they could have pushed the psychological themes a lot more instead of watering it down with boobies and 'pantsu'.
Jan 30, 2013 1:28 PM

Jul 2008
lordzeru said:
almozayaf said:
Akira !
Akira ??
Akira O_O

Well, son, you see..

metamorphius said:

I was beaten to the punch in every way. Well said.

why you ignor the rest of my post
almozayaf said:

it not great , good but not great i will not call it one of the best
it have one of the best hand animation ever but the story is crap
the character is big joke
the ending is week
what great about akira if you ignor the animation ?
Akira

the animation = great i can't say any less
and the poignant commentary on Japan <_< will it ok but not that great

but i'm kind of don't care about animation that mach as the story the first half was good there was samething about it will make it the best anime movie ever but then they just add random thing and these blue alines kids the story just go into anther way.

how you go from revolution to aline-philosophy

i say it is good but not great , great animation but no more
Jan 30, 2013 1:29 PM

May 2010
I'm sorry, but why is TTGL on the list. Over the past 3 years I have tried multiple times to finish this show, but it's just so terrible to me. It's not just the main characters or the fact that the robots look like shit. I understand it's supposed to be more on the comedic side, but I still could not get anything worth while from this let down. I thought it was gonna be the greatest shit I've ever seen listening to the raging fan-boys but in the end I was disappointed.

I would like to nominate Hourou Musuko on the list though. Besides its unique and art style I enjoyed every episode from the start. I enjoyed the character interactions along with the main problem of those kids dealing with serious gender issues at such a young age.
Jan 30, 2013 1:49 PM

Oct 2011
almozayaf said:

I'm sorry, but come again? From what I gather from your post, or what's legible of it, you don't seem to understand that the reason we have Akira on the list is mostly because of the leaps in made in production quality, influence on western animation and culture, and the fact that it is one of the most popular and influential anime works on the industry as a whole.

But you seem to think we hate everything mainstream, which we don't. You think we're caught up on the animation, which we somewhat are, but it's not the main focus of attention. You're obsessing over the weak story, which nobody mentioned anything about as far as praise is concerned.
Jan 30, 2013 2:18 PM

Jul 2012
lime93 said:
I'm sorry, but why is TTGL on the list. Over the past 3 years I have tried multiple times to finish this show, but it's just so terrible to me. It's not just the main characters or the fact that the robots look like shit. I understand it's supposed to be more on the comedic side, but I still could not get anything worth while from this let down. I thought it was gonna be the greatest shit I've ever seen listening to the raging fan-boys but in the end I was disappointed.

I would like to nominate Hourou Musuko on the list though. Besides its unique and art style I enjoyed every episode from the start. I enjoyed the character interactions along with the main problem of those kids dealing with serious gender issues at such a young age.

How far have you watched the show? The show is rather poor for the first two episodes, goes up in quality for 3, has a severe drop for four, and then goes up in quality dramatically for the rest of the series, until it has a time skip and suddenly becomes a lot more serious and story based, at which point the quality of the series has reached new heights. The time skip is at about episode 16.
Jan 30, 2013 2:32 PM

Nov 2011
lime93 said:

You clearly didn't understand it then. TTGL is a RECONSTRUCTION of the MECH GENRE. It's over-the-top silliness is NOT just there for the sake of parody or comedy. It's the direct counter to Neon Genesis Evangelion and you need to watch Eva in order to fully appreciate TTGL.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Reconstruction

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a reconstruction of the entire history of mecha, starting with The Seventies era of Super Robot anime with Kamina as the voice of the seventies, then came Nia and The Eighties "Real Robot" style storyline of The Empire vs the Rebels and The Nineties with the whole Evangelion deconstruction type era with Rossiu leading the way. TTGL is a trip through the Mecha Genre.

As far as Akira goes, it's a classic that changed anime forever and had a very profound impact on Western films and comics.
Jan 30, 2013 2:40 PM

Aug 2009
Lordzeru said most of the things I would have said and Amberleh restated my points, so I really don't feel like wasting my time on this nonexistent issue anymore. I tried to explain it why Akira is on the list, but you can always choose not to accept anything anyone says.

As for ignoring of the rest of your post...
My entire post was a short summary of the main reasons WHY Akira is on the list, a reply to the outcry of yours regarding the anime's inclusion.
The rest of your post was your stating your opinion about Akira and I saw no need to discuss that. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and I certainly don't intend to get into discussions about the validity of one's opinion.

If you want more about Akira, you can read responses in this topic:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=34671
metamorphiusJan 30, 2013 3:58 PM
Jan 30, 2013 5:52 PM
Jul 2018
I would like to nominate Akage No Anne to be on the list after just recently finishing it, Charming, delightful, and lovely. It was joyful, it was heartbreaking, I laughed, I cried, etc. Masterful.
Jan 30, 2013 6:16 PM

Oct 2010
lime93 said:

Yes I suggest for this one as well. Wandering Child(Hourou Musuko) is a worth anime to the list. While it entirely focus on the peer problem(mostly on gender), this anime manage to put the right amount of drama it needed.

I would like to add Kowarekake no Orgel to the list. It's a beautiful presentation that cliche romance can work as realistic and meaningful as possible if done correctly.

And another thing, I'm having a hard time to word it out but isn't that Pale Cocoon is highly recommended for us considering that list consist of Eve no Jikan and similar titles?
Jan 30, 2013 6:27 PM

Jun 2012
metamorphius said:

Isn't there something similar for Ghibli movies? I really can't get why they're considered so great.

List is looking great. I say it definitely helps anyone who wants to know about good stuff.

I think Sora no Woto needs to be on the list. It is a very special series and it's often overlooked or mistaken for generic all-girls doing random stuff. Its atmosphere is very bittersweet and somewhat poetic and deals with a few interesting themes and has overall great characterization so I think it's eligible for being enlighting.
Jan 30, 2013 8:25 PM

Jan 2013
Although I'm not a fan of mecha in any way whatsoever, and consider that the genre's prevalence is due to the companies sticking giant robots in every series they can to pander for post-production merchandise, I'll suggest a mecha series for the Enlightenment list: Armored Trooper Votoms.

Well, it's more like a series on armored infantry than on mecha, but...

Jan 30, 2013 8:27 PM

May 2010
Amberleh said:
You clearly didn't understand it then. TTGL is a RECONSTRUCTION of the MECH GENRE. It's over-the-top silliness is NOT just there for the sake of parody or comedy. It's the direct counter to Neon Genesis Evangelion and you need to watch Eva in order to fully appreciate TTGL.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Reconstruction

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a reconstruction of the entire history of mecha, starting with The Seventies era of Super Robot anime with Kamina as the voice of the seventies, then came Nia and The Eighties "Real Robot" style storyline of The Empire vs the Rebels and The Nineties with the whole Evangelion deconstruction type era with Rossiu leading the way. TTGL is a trip through the Mecha Genre.

I really don't care what TTGL was supposed to be, I know I didn't like it. I'm not a big fan of the mech genre anyway but this show TTGL killed it for any other mech show I have yet to see no matter how it's supposed to be a trip through the mech genre, it bored and disappointed me. My real problem with the show is the fan-boys it has created though. If I say one bad thing about the show especially Kamina, Simon, or Yoko I have to put on the flame suit.

Battlechili1 said:
How far have you watched the show? The show is rather poor for the first two episodes, goes up in quality for 3, has a severe drop for four, and then goes up in quality dramatically for the rest of the series, until it has a time skip and suddenly becomes a lot more serious and story based, at which point the quality of the series has reached new heights. The time skip is at about episode 16.

I watched until a couple episodes after Kamina died. I only got that far because I was tired of the show by episode 5 but I read spoilers and I wanted to see such a whack ass character die before I end the show. I still on multiple occasions tried to watch more but I think I'll just put an end to it and forever forget about TTGL.
Jan 30, 2013 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
Maegil said:
Although I'm not a fan of mecha in any way whatsoever, and consider that the genre's prevalence is due to the companies sticking giant robots in every series they can to pander for post-production merchandise, I'll suggest a mecha series for the Enlightenment list: Armored Trooper Votoms.

Well, it's more like a series on armored infantry than on mecha, but...

I love that Franchise so much. IMO, it's better than Gundam.

Seconding VOTOMs and Hourou Musuko.
Jan 31, 2013 10:39 AM

Jan 2013
+ mawaru penguindrum. Beautiful sound and visuals with very little fanservice pandering. I'm to understand Ikuhara is known for his use of symbolism, and I believe it worked well here without hopping on the train to pretentious town.
Jan 31, 2013 12:25 PM

Nov 2011
Valkyrion said:
metamorphius said:

Isn't there something similar for Ghibli movies? I really can't get why they're considered so great.

Miyazaki's movies are phenomenal in every aspect of the word. Absolutely stunning animation- There is no anime that can compare to Miyazaki's works in the department of animation. The movements are fluid and can be compared to ANY American animation piece- The same cannot be said for almost any other anime (And yes, in terms of ANIMATION, American animation has ALWAYS been superior to Japanese. Compare Astro Boy to Steamboat Willy- Astro boy is what, 20-30 years later and it's about 1 frame per second). The simple and memorable character designs that don't rely on hair color or weird looking outfits for memorability are just charming and wonderful. The music is always great. The production cost is always high and they actually put it to good use. The stories are simple yet original. The characters are relateable and realistic, as well as sweet and charming. Every movie has a cast of quirky, loveable characters that are devoid of tropes.

And, above all else, almost every single one of his movies (save for Mononoke) can be enjoyed by the whole family. He can convey mature messages without the use of boobs or blood. He can show normal things in Japan like bath scenes without ti turning into a fanservice fest, but instead seeming like something natural. In some movies he'll show a girl changing, but it will be something that is just meant to show daily life- a teenager trying to eat and quickly and deftly change at the same time to hurry to school, etc. He can take scenes that in normal anime are just there for fanservice and turn them into something completely natural.

There is plenty of overrated stuff on here. If anything, Miyazaki's works are underrated on this site. I can judge Miyazaki's works against regular movies and American animation- I can't do the same for the rest of anime. I rate anime on a handicap scale. Miyazaki's works are so superior to anything else the anime world has to offer that according to how I have to rate regular anime, they would all be 20/10- No joke.

Edit: For the record, I used to be an animation major before I switched to illustration. You can ask any animation or illustration professor and they will say "anime is crap' but if you mention Miyazaki, they say "Oh, that doesn't count as anime."

Edit: @ Lime- It's fine if you don't like it but don't assume that just because YOU don't like it that it doesn't belong on the enlightenment list- especially if you didn't understand it.

Edit: Seconding or thirding Penguindrum. It's like the child of Utena.
AmberlehJan 31, 2013 12:38 PM
Jan 31, 2013 12:55 PM

Jun 2012
Oh that's a good reply.

I know H. Miyazaki makes animated movies rather than anime, compared to movies like Summer Wars to name one.

I appreciate the background art and the worlds that he strives to evoke (and is successful in that). I don't know anything about animation actually, but it looks frame-y sometimes compared to.. let's say... KyoAni stuff. I won't talk much about this since I understand nothing really

The "problem" I have with those movies is that I don't really enjoy them. I understand they're not bad but the stories they tell and the characters do not appeal much to me and end up being forgettable. I can't immerse myself with h. miyazaki movies as much as I do with other series. I can't immerse myself into them as much as I do with other movies as well.

They also don't hold any nostalgic value to me as I started watching them after getting into anime about 1 year and a half ago. Oh well

I'd like to hear more opinions from you senpai-s since I've been wondering about this for a while, and thanks for the replies (but I still think they're terribly overrated, sorry!)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (73) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.