Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 19, 2013 6:18 PM

Jul 2012
Been curious he's awesome but I've been wondering what fighting style he uses someone said Muay Thai but idk I've seen his fighting style somewhere(probably Def Jam fight for NY)
Anyone know the martial arts he uses?

Here is him fighting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=795__YILSY0
Jan 19, 2013 6:42 PM

Nov 2010
It looks kinda like Muay Thai, especially that elbow looked a lot like a Tony Jaa move, and also the way he moved back every once in a while. But he didn't use much elbows or knees, based on his clothes it could be another asian country near there.

You know if it's a question about martial arts, there is a guy all about that. Bloodcalibur
Jan 19, 2013 8:26 PM

Jul 2012
Yeah the elbow is what made me think Muay Thai .
Yeah I've seen Bloodcalibur on some topics I thought he was into boxing though
Jan 19, 2013 8:41 PM

Nov 2010
Though it could be a little blend.

He said that he's into other martial arts too, I believe. Also I think Dankickyou is into martial arts and boxing. There was a thread about pacquiou losing, that they were posting in, there was also another martial arts thread.
Jan 20, 2013 7:38 AM

Jul 2012
Ya I'll ask him for help on this thanks
Jan 20, 2013 10:09 AM

Feb 2012
Just saw your comment on my profile, I'll answer your question when I get done clearing the snow outside. Brb.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Jan 20, 2013 10:37 AM

Nov 2011
Love Machine is the bad guy right? Haven't watched the movie in a while. Doesn't look particularly like MT, stance is a bit too wide, not much torque in the kicks+backflip kick isn't really an MT tech. Looks like a mish-mash of styles to make him look cool really.
The Art of Eight
Jan 20, 2013 11:24 AM

Jul 2012
dankickyou said:
Love Machine is the bad guy right? Haven't watched the movie in a while. Doesn't look particularly like MT, stance is a bit too wide, not much torque in the kicks+backflip kick isn't really an MT tech. Looks like a mish-mash of styles to make him look cool really.

That's what I assumed as well probably just a mix of different fighting styles
Idk if you ever played Def Jam it took some cool fighting styles and you can mix them together
like Kickboxing and Martial arts(which is vague ) they fight like love machine if not identical
I kept thinking Muay Thai but the way he executes moves it's obvious he switches styles
So I think your right, it's probably a mix of different fighting styles to make him look cool

Bloodcalibur said:
Just saw your comment on my profile, I'll answer your question when I get done clearing the snow outside. Brb.

Alright man
Amon-RawJan 20, 2013 11:33 AM
Jan 20, 2013 12:00 PM

Feb 2012
Studied: Kung Fu, Muay Thai Boran, Jiujitsu, and Boxing.

If we want to take the details of the animation literally as it's shown in the scene, I can say a few things.

- Dunno what made you think this was Muay Thai at all since as dankickyou said, the stance is too wide. I saw no muay thai techniques either.
- Only a few of his punches showed boxing fundamentals, so yes a few of those punches would fall into the boxing category. He threw jabs, which are typically not fundamentally taught in other arts, at least not in the way it was executed in this video.
- He also threw a punch from the dominant hand (same hand side as the leg that's placed behind him) which makes that punch a cross, another boxing styled punch.
- If we look closely at the part where you see his fists' angles in some of the punches at the edge of the punch, you can see that some of those punches resembled wing chun punches.
- That elbow strike he used also resembled an elbow strike taught in wing chun, or even just typical shaolin kung fu, especially since it was thrown with the step-in.
- As for the flying kick they both used, I would say that could fall into a number of martial arts, including kung fu, karate, and tae kwon do.
- The 3-punch combination he threw near the beginning looks hard to categorize due to the way it ignores many martial arts' fundamentals so I'm going to assume the animators don't know shit about combat arts and completely made that up or simply just don't know enough to realize it was executed poorly. He started off with a cross (a 2 in boxing), then a jab (a 1), and then a cross to the body (a 6). I can't think of a martial art that would execute it in the way he did, with the posture he used, and the way he did it. In boxing for instance, technician boxers (the smart ones, which is rare) realize that you can't, and should not, throw a jab after a cross in the form of a combination because fundamentally you should not be in the right distance for a jab after starting with a cross, that's why it's typically a hook (a 3) instead. He then throws an extremely awkward punch to the body. Again, you wouldn't throw a cross to the body after a jab in the sequence of 2-1-6. It's just ill-advised, period.

So yes, I would say it's a mix of several martial arts such as the ones I mentioned above but I would lean more towards the creators and animators not knowing shit about martial arts to begin with so they showed whatever techniques they felt like using in a poorly executed manner.

Credentials: 23-1 amateur boxer and 15.5 years of martial arts.
BloodcaliburJan 20, 2013 12:05 PM
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Jan 20, 2013 12:25 PM

Jul 2012
Bloodcalibur said:
Studied: Kung Fu, Muay Thai Boran, Jiujitsu, and Boxing.

If we want to take the details of the animation literally as it's shown in the scene, I can say a few things.

- Dunno what made you think this was Muay Thai at all since as dankickyou said, the stance is too wide. I saw no muay thai techniques either.
- Only a few of his punches showed boxing fundamentals, so yes a few of those punches would fall into the boxing category. He threw jabs, which are typically not fundamentally taught in other arts, at least not in the way it was executed in this video.
- He also threw a punch from the dominant hand (same hand side as the leg that's placed behind him) which makes that punch a cross, another boxing styled punch.
- If we look closely at the part where you see his fists' angles in some of the punches at the edge of the punch, you can see that some of those punches resembled wing chun punches.
- That elbow strike he used also resembled an elbow strike taught in wing chun, or even just typical shaolin kung fu, especially since it was thrown with the step-in.
- As for the flying kick they both used, I would say that could fall into a number of martial arts, including kung fu, karate, and tae kwon do.
- The 3-punch combination he threw near the beginning looks hard to categorize due to the way it ignores many martial arts' fundamentals so I'm going to assume the animators don't know shit about combat arts and completely made that up or simply just don't know enough to realize it was executed poorly. He started off with a cross (a 2 in boxing), then a jab (a 1), and then a cross to the body (a 6). I can't think of a martial art that would execute it in the way he did, with the posture he used, and the way he did it. In boxing for instance, technician boxers (the smart ones, which is rare) realize that you can't, and should not, throw a jab after a cross in the form of a combination because fundamentally you should not be in the right distance for a jab after starting with a cross, that's why it's typically a hook (a 3) instead. He then throws an extremely awkward punch to the body. Again, you wouldn't throw a cross to the body after a jab in the sequence of 2-1-6. It's just ill-advised, period.

So yes, I would say it's a mix of several martial arts such as the ones I mentioned above but I would lean more towards the creators and animators not knowing shit about martial arts to begin with so they showed whatever techniques they felt like using in a poorly executed manner.

Credentials: 23-1 amateur boxer and 15.5 years of martial arts.

Alright really appreciate the info man really nice to understand a lot of the details some that never even crossed my mind till you pointed it out .
I did Karate for 4 years a while back(before basketball) but there's only so much I know from that one style of martial arts when there are virtually so many different styles so talking to someone that knows a lot is great.
I stay out here in Florida and I know a lot of boxers and few mma fighters but it's awesome to see some people with respect and knowledge of the sport on MAL .
Really appreciate the time man
So basically they just threw moves together to make it look cool well I guess I shouldn't expect much.

Have you seen any true material arts anime ?
Amon-RawJan 20, 2013 12:29 PM
Jan 20, 2013 12:31 PM

Feb 2012
Amon-Ra said:
Alright really appreciate the info man really nice to understand a lot of the details some that never even crossed my mind till you pointed it out .
I did Karate for 4 years a while back(before basketball) but there's only so much I know from that one style of martial arts when there are virtually so many different styles so talking to someone that knows a lot is great.
I stay out here in Florida and I know a lot of boxers and few mma fighters but it's awesome to see some people with respect and knowledge of the sport
Really appreciate the time man

No problem, we need more combat arts enthusiasts on this dweeb-infested forum anyway.

Mar 1, 2013 10:28 PM

Mar 2013
It looks like Muay Thai though not sure but the odds are in the favor.
Jun 26, 2014 6:57 AM
Jun 2014
Based off the Hindu God like appearance, the one leg stance and the flip it's Kalaripayattu. I saw that fight on Worldstar and did some real thourough research starting with Hindu and Indian martial arts and thats what I found
Oct 24, 2014 4:29 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Summer Wars Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zvuc - Aug 21, 2009

426 by AshRayKay »»
Apr 13, 6:32 PM

» Is it good?

kam1n0 - Nov 13, 2021

20 by domine »»
Oct 31, 2022 5:46 PM

» Metaverse

BeholdTheSkipper - Jan 5, 2022

1 by GabyShimizu »»
Jan 5, 2022 12:05 PM

» By Math Olympics, did they mean Kenji is a possible IMO qualifier?

Uji_Gintoki_Bowl - Aug 23, 2021

1 by DuSK_iKaISeR »»
Aug 23, 2021 1:49 PM

» Man it's been 11 year since it's realise

Sam_Emon - Apr 1, 2020

0 by Sam_Emon »»
Apr 1, 2020 9:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.